Welcome to Nairaland.net for Nigerians and Friends of Nigeria
Nairaland RSS Feed |
- 28,000 Nigerians get Canadian PR in seven years – Report Punch Newspapers
- US announces visa ban on individuals 'undermining' Nigeria's election CNN
- PVC collection deadline: INEC offices witness rush hour for PVC collection deadline BBC
- Nigeria's Atiku Joins Calls to Extend Deadline on Old Banknotes U.S. News & World Report
- Nigeria breeding poverty, hunger, insecurity, says Obi Punch Newspapers
- 2023: At Daily Trust dialogue, Tinubu, Atiku, Obi, Kwankwaso, experts speak on way forward for Nigeria Premium Times
- Nigeria's $11bn court challenge Financial Times
- Naira swap: Atiku demands ‘slight’ extension, says Nigerians discomforted Punch Newspapers
- Nigeria launches domestic card scheme to boost cashless economy Al Jazeera English
- New Naira Notes: Anxiety As CBN Insists On January 31 Deadline — Features — The Guardian Nigeria News ... Guardian Nigeria
- Why Nigeria must prepare for Russia-Ukraine war fallout – Akinyemi Punch Newspapers
- 2023: Only "sinners" can fix Nigeria not, holy men — APC chieftain Premium Times
- 4G base stations in Nigeria hit 39,006, data crashes from N1200 to N350 – Pantami Vanguard
- Nigeria's Atiku joins calls to extend deadline on old banknotes Reuters
- U.S. Sixth Fleet Commander Visits Nigeria, Celebrates Opening ... navy.mil
- Nigeria's $11 Billion Lawsuit Begins With Accusations of Double ... Bloomberg
- Analysis | How Young Voters Can Shake Up Nigeria's Next Election The Washington Post
- Reprisals Feared in Nigeria after Bombing of 40 Pastoralists Voice of America - VOA News
- Nigerian Election Won’t End Fiscal Problems, Ratings Agency Warns Bloomberg
- Nigeria seeks to overturn US$11 billion award GAR
- Nigeria launches domestic card scheme in cashless bid Reuters
- Azikiwe, Abacha, Obasanjo, Jonathan, Buhari BBC
- US disburses $7.8bn to boost eradication of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria Premium Times
- 2023: My government will embark on restructuring of Nigeria — Atiku Vanguard
- K12: “Opportunities to recruit significant” in Nigeria The PIE News
- Nigeria's 1st New Airbus A220 Delivery Has Been Delayed Simple Flying
- Atiku Abubakar: The only solution to the situation in Nigeria today Premium Times
- Over 165 million Nigerians currently need treatment for Neglected ... Guardian Nigeria
- Obi: Nigeria Must Stop Recycling Poverty THISDAY Newspapers
- Ghana, Nigeria, South Africa…20 young African creatives to know The Africa Report
- Multiple factors could shape the outcome of Nigeria's 2023 elections ... Premium Times
- Nigeria ranked fifth in 2022 World transfer market Punch Newspapers
- Ndume vows to protect interest of Nigeria in botched ECOWAS ... Vanguard
- Nigerian petroleum agency blames cross-border smugglers for ... Premium Times
- S’Africa authorities invade Nigeria Consulate, citizens angered Punch Newspapers
- NigeriaDecides2023: UN warns against upsurge in hate speech ... Premium Times
- Cyber Insurance Struggling for Growth in Nigeria THISDAY Newspapers
- No Plans To Favour Any Presidential Candidate, We Expect Open ... SaharaReporters.com
- Vanguard Awards: Emeka Okwuosa, driving energy transition across Nigeria, Africa Vanguard
- AfDB, partners commit $30b to food sufficiency in Nigeria, other ... Guardian Nigeria
- Nigeria: Supreme Court Refuses to Grant Bail to Convicted Nigerian ... AllAfrica - Top Africa News
- Nigeria on precipice, use your PVCs to save it, Alao tells citizens Guardian Nigeria
- Eze formalising second-hand electronics market in Nigeria Vanguard
- Meet 8 Richest Teen Actresses In Nigeria Leadership News
- E-Commerce trends in Nigeria for 2023 Businessday
- Don’t vote politicians who’ll drag Nigeria back to dark ages, Buhari tells Nigerians Vanguard
- Flooding: Nigeria Launches Post Disaster Assessment Tool – Voice ... Voice of Nigeria
- Gbaja to EU mission: Get balanced views before making ... TheCable
- Nigeria 2023: Tinubu receives major boost as court sacks dancing governor The Africa Report
- Mothers in Nigeria's Wassa IDP camp spread the word ... Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
- 2023: Only Atiku Can Get 25% Votes Across Nigeria, Says Mutfwang THISDAY Newspapers
- FEC approves Nigeria data protection bill Premium Times
- PREMIUM TIMES' journalist wins media award on epidemic ... Premium Times
- Nigeria election 2023: Who is Bola Tinubu? Yahoo! Voices
- CyberGirls Fellowship begins selection for cohort three entries Guardian Nigeria
- Atalanta to stall Nigeria-eligible’s move to Cremonese Soccernet.ng
- Anambra State Governor wants More Human Capital Projects in ... Voice of Nigeria
- The High Commission of India, Abuja in Nigeria celebrated Millets ... Odisha Diary
- Nigeria Transfers Custody Of Stadium To Kaduna State – Voice of ... Voice of Nigeria
- Nigeria's Chima Moneke feels 'wanted again' after sudden Sacramento Kings exit ESPN
- EU partners UNILAG to groom students seeking careers in ... Premium Times
- I aim to be first visually-impaired Miss Nigeria – Rivers beauty queen Punch Newspapers
- Why Google Says 'Dangote Is Owner Of Nigeria' Leadership News
- Biafra : Nnamdi Kanu Is A Political Prisoner, He Will Be Released Unconditionally - Sowore - The presidential candidate of African Action Congress, Omoyele Sowore has said Kanu is a political prisoner as far as he's conce...
- JUST IN!!! PDP Suspends Ebonyi State Chapter Chairman, Okoroafor - The National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has suspended its Ebonyi State Chapter Chairman, Okorie Tochukwu Okoroafor eff...
- Ukraine President Zelensky Appoints Oby Ezekwesili As Ambassador - Despite ongoing war between Ukraine and Russia, Ukraine’s President Zelensky has appointed former Nigerian minister, Mrs Obiageli Ezekwesili, as an amba...
- PDP Fixes Date For Fresh Governorship Primary In Abia - The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has slated February the fourth 2023 for a fresh governorship primary for Abia State. This is according to a statement by t...
- Seven Dead In Shooting Outside East Jerusalem Synagogue - At least seven people were killed in a shooting outside a synagogue in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem on Friday, with the gunman killed at the scene, police and me...
- Abia North: Ex—Umunneochi Council Boss, Oliver Egeonu Backs Sen Orji Kalu's Re-election Bid - The former Chairman of Umunneochi Local Government Area, Chief Oliver Egeonu has declared total support for the re-election o...
- No New CP In Lagos, Alabi Still In Charge, Says Hundeyin - The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Benjamin Hundeyin, disclosed this in a statement, amid reports that a new CP has taken over the command. ...
- Tribunal Ruling Only A Phase In Struggle To Liberate Osun, Says Atiku - The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Atiku Abubakar says the sacking of Governor Gboyega Oyetola by the Osun Elections Pe...
- I See My Son’s Death As Test From God – Gov Sule - Barely a day after losing his son, Nasarawa State Governor, Abdullahi Sule, says he sees the tragic death of Hassan as a test from God. His 36-year-old son died on...
- Manchester City Beat Arsenal To Reach FA Cup Fifth Round - Manchester City struck first blood against Arsenal as Nathan Ake’s strike earned Pep Guardiola’s men a place in the fifth round of the FA Cup with a 1-0 win o...
- Israel Police Arrest Dozens After Deadly Synagogue Shooting - Israel police said Saturday they arrested dozens of people after a Palestinian gunman killed seven people outside a synagogue in one of the deadliest attacks i...
- Police ‘Neutralise’ 13-year-old Palestinian Boy Behind New Gun Attack In Jerusalem - A 13-year-old Palestinian boy was the assailant in a shooting that wounded two people, a father and son, in east Jerusalem on Saturd...
- History And ‘School Of Life’ Drive Djokovic Through Controversies - Novak Djokovic stands on the brink of a record-equalling 22nd Grand Slam title and it is his determination to be the greatest ever which drives him o...
- Tsitsipas – Melbourne Finalist Who Was ‘a Few Breaths From Dying’ - Stefanos Tsitsipas will become Greece’s first Grand Slam champion and a world number one if he wins the Australian Open final on Sunday — he wi...
- Elections 2023: Accord Candidate, Prof. Imumolen Beats Kwankwaso, 13 others in 'Nigeria Decides' Polls - Professor Christopher Imumolen has just caused a major upset in defeating 13 out of the 18 top candidates ...
- N22m Contract Fraud: Ex-Maritime Academy Staff Bags 110 Years In Uyo (Photo) - The Uyo Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Friday, January 27, secured the conviction and sentencing of o...
- My Father, Ademola Adeleke Remains The Governor Of Osun State - Sina Rambo - Ademola Adeleke's son, Sina Rambo has stated that his father is still the governor of Osun State after the Tribunal court ruling on Friday Janua...
- Abia-North 2023: Sen. Orji Kalu Kicks Off Re-election Quest, Targets Agricultural Dev't (Photos) - With hundreds of infrastructure projects and 25 Bills to his credit, Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu on T...
- Ex-Maritime Academy Staff Bags 110 Years in Uyo Over N22m Contract Fraud - The Uyo Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Friday, January 27, 2023, secured the conviction and sentencing of...
- Zenith Bank Finally Sends N3.23m to Lady Who Lost N4.039 Million - A leading Nigerian commercial bank, Zenith Bank has returned N3.23 million to Chiamaka Agim, a Lagos State resident whose N4.039 million was erroneously d...
- Nigerian Petroleum Agency Blames Cross-Border Smugglers for Scarcity [Premium Times] The agency claimed that there is petrol sufficiency of over 1.6 billion litres as of 26 January
- Supreme Court Refuses to Grant Bail to Convicted Nigerian Senator [Premium Times] The Supreme noted that the senator being a fugitive cannot be granted bail.
- 100 Million Nigerians Are At Risk of Neglected Tropical Diseases - What the Country Is Doing About It [The Conversation Africa] Neglected tropical diseases are a group of communicable diseases found in tropical and subtropical regions of the world. They are classified as "neglected" because they have received little or no attention in terms of prevention and control for several decades. The World Health Organization guides the way they are identified and managed.
- INEC to Conduct Mock Accreditation Ahead of General Elections [Premium Times] "Doing so will help reassure the public of the "robustness of our system and to strengthen our processes ahead of the General Election," the INEC Chairman says.
- Nigerian Military Kills 84 Terrorists in North-East, North-West in Two Weeks [Premium Times] The military troops also rescued 122 abducted persons in the two regions during the two weeks.
- Atiku Deceitful On His Promise to Resolve Ajaokuta Steel Problem - Nigerian Govt [Premium Times] "If the former vice president had any solution to the Ajaokuta challenge, and he didn't execute it in 2004, why should Nigerians trust him to do so in 2023, almost 20 years later?"
- Race to Kashim Ibrahim House - Inside the Battle for 2023 Kaduna Governorship [Premium Times] The 2023 governorship election in Kaduna State North West, Nigeria promises to be the most keen in the state's recent political history.
- Nigeria Launches Domestic Card Scheme in Cashless Bid [Premium Times] Mr Emefiele said the establishment of the card scheme is in line with global trends.
- Military Destroys 39 Illegal Refineries, Apprehends Oil Thieves, Vandals [Premium Times] DHQ says the illegal refineries were destroyed in the last two weeks in the South-south zone of the country.
- Casting Stone [This Day] Exchange of aspersions by leading presidential campaigns suggests deliberate avoidance of issues, writes BOLAJI ADEBIYI
- Youth Group Backs CBN's Currency Redesign Policy [This Day] * Calls for an end to Emefiele's harassment
- U.S and Imposition of Visa Restrictions Over Nigerian Polls [This Day] Chido Nwangwu writes about the recent move by the United States government to make good its plan to impose visa restrictions on individuals found undermining the 2023 general election in Nigeria
- No, Nigeria's Central Bank Hasn't Ordered Politicians to Give Old Banknotes to 'Poor Masses' [Africa Check] IN SHORT: A banknote redesign has caused jitters in Nigeria. But it's not true that the Central Bank of Nigeria claimed politicians had stashes of the old currency and demanded they be given to the poor - or lose them all.
- Heavy Security Presence in Osogbo As Tribunal Set to Deliver Judgement [Premium Times] Security is tight at the Odun State High Court where the tribunal will deliver judgement from 9 a.m.
- FEC Approves Nigeria Data Protection Bill [Premium Times] The Bill will now be transmitted to the National Assembly as an Executive Bill.
- Average Retail Price of Kerosene Up 136% in One Year [Premium Times] The statistics office observed that the average retail cost of kerosene in December 2022 was N1,104, indicating an increase of 1.94 per cent compared to N1,083.57 recorded in November 2022.
- Aregbesola Links Incessant Jailbreaks to Climate Change [Premium Times] "It (attacks on prisons) has nothing to do with technology; it could even be linked to climate change," Mr Aregbesola said.
- ECOWAS Pushes for Policy Priority to Kick-Off Economic Growth Post-Covid-19 [Vanguard] The Economic Community of West Africa States (ECOWAS) has urged governments of the ECOWAS countries to give policy priority to programmes that will promote pro-growth economic policies and enhance institutions to enable economic growth.
- Lekki Port, CMA CGM Shipping Collaborate to Grow Nigeria's Trade Volume [Vanguard] The Lekki Port LFTZ Enterprise Limited, promoters of the Lekki Deep Sea Port, has disclosed that the port, in collaboration with CMA CGM Shipping line, will facilitate growth in trade volume for Nigeria and increase the nation's Gross Domestic Product (GDP).
- We're Not Denying Visa to Nigerian Students - Turkish Embassy [Vanguard] The Turkish Embassy has denied reports it was deliberately denying visa to Nigerian students.
- UK Mulls New Policy to Reduce Post-Study Visa Stay - Report [Vanguard] Foreign students in the United Kingdom may face the risk of deportation if they stay longer than six months in the country after completion of their studies.
- Atiku, Tinubu Return to the Trenches Over Alleged Plot to Scuttle Election [Leadership] Again, the presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu, and his Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) counterpart, Atiku Abubakar, took the gloves off yesterday in their ongoing credibility battle.
- Equinor to Divest $1bn Stake in Nigeria's Agbami Oil Assets [Leadership] As gale of International Oil Companies(IOCs) divestment from Nigeria deepens, Norwegian energy firm, Equinor has hired Standard Chartered to assist in the sale of its major stake in an offshore oilfield in Nigeria.
- After Supreme Court Victory, Akpabio Rejigs Campaign Structure [Leadership] Smarting from the Supreme Court judgement which affirmed him as the APC candidate in the race for Ikot Ekpene senatorial district (Akwa Ibom North-West) seat, former governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State has revived his campaign structure across the 10 local government areas.
- CBN Takes Currency Swap to Akwa Ibom Communities [Leadership] Determined to ensure effective mop up of the old currency notes (N200, N500 and N1,000) as they cease to become legal tenders on Tuesday, January 31, 2023, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has moved large denominations of the new notes in liquid form to rural communities in Akwa Ibom State for open swapping.
- Military Keeps Mum On Niger, Nasarawa Airstrikes [Leadership] Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said it would refrain from making comments on the recent incident of miscalculated airstrikes in Nasarawa and Niger states.
- Traders, Beggars Reject Old Naira Notes in Kebbi [Leadership] Petty traders, motorcyclists, beggars and fuel attendants in Birnin Kebbi, the capital of Kebbi State have joined others in rejecting old naira notes.
- CBN Bans Dollar Payment for Domestic Transactions, Launches 'Afrigo' Card [Leadership] The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has said it will no longer allow payment for dollar charges on transactions made within Nigeria either with the newly introduced National Domestic Card scheme, Afrigopay or existing foreign debit cards, popularly known as ATM cards.
- CBN to Ban Dollar Charges On Card Transactions, Unveils Domestic Card [Vanguard] The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), in conjunction with the Nigerian Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS), has launched the Nigerian National Domestic Card Scheme named, AfriGo, aimed at creating a more robust payments system that would drive financial inclusion in the country.
- CBN Stops Dollar Charges On Domestic Card Transactions [This Day] The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Godwin Emefiele, yesterday declared that going forward, dollar charges on all domestic cards and online transactions would not be permitted.
- SJN Cluster requests Benue Govt to commission Sexual Assault Referral Centre
From Scholastica Onyeka, Makurdi The Sexual and Gender Based Justice Network, (SJN), Cluster has called on the Benue state Government
- G5 Governors express confidence in party’s victory
…As 12 opposition parties back PDP Enugu The Group of Five (G5) Governors elected on the platform of the Peoples
- El-Rufai to corps members: Challenge yourselves, learn the local language
■ Ladies represent 65% of corps members deployed to Kaduna From Sola Ojo, Kaduna The Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai
- 1,300 corps members take oath in Kebbi
FROM Olanrewaju Lawal Birnin Kebbi NO fewer than 1,300 newly deployed corps members of the 2023 batch A stream 1
- G5 governors express confidence in party’s victory
• As 12 opposition parties back Enugu PDP The Group of Five (G5) Governors elected on the platform of the
- Man to die by hanging in Rivers
From Tony John, Port Harcourt MR. Bestman Lekia, popularly called Biggie, has been convicted and sentenced to death by hanging,
- Soludo proposes separate curriculum, education board for South East
From Obinna Odogwu, Awka Anambra State Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, has made a case for the establishment of a separate
- IPOB raises alarm over worsening Kanu’s health
From Stanley Uzoaru, Owerri The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has raised the alarm over what it called the deteriorating
- Redesigned Notes: Ganduje calls for extension
• Sympathises with Nigerians From Desmond Mgboh, Kano Kano state governor, Dr Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has sympathized with the people
- How Nigeria can get better –Gambari
From Adanna Nnamani, Abuja The Chief of Staff to the President, Prof. Ibrahim Agboola Gambari, has identified commitment to democratic
- COVID-19 may kill 171,000 Nigerian children in next 6 months, says UNICEF
- ‘Proposed N2.29bn aircraft assembly plant’ll benefit aviation sector’
By Chinelo Obogo [email protected] 07064781119 The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved N2.29billion for a
- United Nigeria boss urges FG to leave special funding window for local operators
By Chinelo Obogo Chairman, United Nigeria Airlines, Prof. Obiora Okonkwo has urged the federal government to leave a legacy by
- How aviation sector is losing revenue to recurring union strikes
By Chinelo Obogo Industrial actions by unions have been a regular occurrence in the aviation sector and despite the fact
- Nigeria, India trade volume hits $14.95bn
•As Air Peace commences direct flights to Indian From Aidoghie Paulinus, Abuja The volume of trade between Nigeria and the
- Mafab Communication goes live with 5G network in Lagos
•Plans roll out across Nigeria By Chinenye Anuforo Mafab Communication (Mcom) rolled out its 5G network in Lagos, 48 hours after
- Business activities crippled in Nnewi over scarcity of new naira notes
•Traders lament From David Onwuchekwa, Nnewi Traders at Nkwo Nnewi market are lamenting the hardship they are experiencing due to
- FG tackling bureaucratic challenges hindering investments
By Merit Ibe The Federal Government has assured it was tackling the bureaucratic bottlenecks that has been challenging foreign direct
- Fidelity Bank wins Best SME Bank at Global Banking & Finance Awards 2022
Leading financial institution, Fidelity Bank Plc, has been announced as the 2022 Best SME Bank in Nigeria by the Global
- Obaseki blames nation’s underdevelopment on bureaucracy, bad governance
Edo State Governor, Mr. Godwin Obaseki, has attributed the failure of the Nigerian system to inefficiency and ineffectiveness of its
- Naira notes: Borno plans centres for replacement
From Timothy Olanrewaju, Maiduguri Borno State has planned to establish financial centres in the 27 local governments of the state
- NIRSAL partners Germany to deepen agribusiness
- There will never be ASUU strike under my watch –Obi
• Vows no ASUU strike again The presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Mr Peter Obi, has said that
- PDP suspends Ebonyi chapter chairman
• Expands Ekiti caretaker committee From Ndubuisi Orji, Abuja Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has suspended the chairman of its Ebonyi
- APC settles for April 10 for Imo, Kogi, Bayelsa primaries
■ Congratulates Oyetola over Osun tribunal victory From Romanus Ugwu, Abuja The All Progressives Congress (APC) has finally settled for
- Fresh concerns in APC presidential campaign council
• Directors bemoan poor funding, lack of mobilisation • Party members seek overhaul of campaign structure From Fred Itua, Abuja
- Increased violence, plot to scuttle poll – 52 north groups
From Okwe Obi, Abuja A coalition of 52 Northern groups (CNG) yesterday, said the gale of killings, kidnappings and destruction
- Abia-North 2023: Kalu kicks off re-election quest, unveils agriculture devt agenda
By Kenneth Udeh With a long line of infrastructure projects and 25 bills to his credit, Chief Whip of the
- Osun tribunal sacks Adeleke as gov, says Oyetola won guber poll
• Tells Adeleke: ‘you can’t go low and buga won’ • Gov, PDP kick, vow to appeal ‘miscarriage of justice’
- INEC fixes mock voter accreditation for Feb 4
■ Admits concerns over distribution of PVCs From Romanus Ugwu, Abuja The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has announced February
- Osun Tribunal: Sanwo-Olu congratulates Oyetola, hails judiciary
By Lukman Olabiyi Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has congratulated the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship in the July
- Insecurity, inflation, fuel scarcity must not affect polls, Northern elders warn
.Want review of CBN deadline for currency swap From Okwe Obi, Abuja Pan-Arewa socio-political organisation, Northern Elders Forum (NEF), has
- Health benefits of Soursop plant (2)
- Okezie Ikpeazu: Advocate of made-in-Nigeraia products
By Henry Umahi On assumption of office in 2015, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu understood the problem of Abia State and has
- Douye Diri: Portrait of miracle governor
By Henry Umahi The emergence of Senator Douye Diri as Governor of Bayelsa State in 2020, had elements of a
- Nyesom Wike: The courage to dare
By Henry Umahi Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State is a compassionate leader. But he is not pliable. He is
- Darius Ishaku: Dogged political fighter
By Henry Umahi Governor Darius Ishaku of Taraba State ran for office at a time the force of the All
- Olukayode Pitan: Banker with Midas touch
By Uche Usim The Bank of Industry (BOI) is one of Nigeria’s oldest and largest development financial institutions, but the
- Sinatu Ojikutu: A business, political pathfinder
By Wilfred Eya One of the women in Nigeria who had successful career in banking and politics is Alhaja Sinatu
- Gabriel Igbinedion: Footprints of a legendary businessman
By Tony Manuaka A mere mention of the name, Chief Gabriel Igbinedion, brings to mind, the fame of an accomplished
- Chukwuemeka Ezeife: The activist, statesman
In Nigeria’s 62 years of independence, the country has produced a number of respected statesmen. Among them is Dr. Chukwuemeka
- Sule Lamido: a man of the people
By Willy Eya
- John Kennedy Opara: A Visionary investor
By Paulinus Aidoghie Professor John Kennedy Opara, Founder/Chief Executive Officer of CSS Group of Companies, owners of CSS Global Integrated