[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Most Corrupt World Leaders

Most Corrupt World Leaders

Sometimes it's tough to fit a particular topic under available categories. If this applies to you, then post that topic here.

Most Corrupt World Leaders

Postby Richard Akindele » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:55 am

Country Leader and alleged embezzlement

1 Indonesia Suharto, $15-35bn
2 Philippines Ferdinand Marcos, $5-10bn
3 Congo, Democratic Republic of the Mobutu Sese Seko, $5bn

[b] 4 Nigeria Sani Abacha, $2-5bn[/b]

5 Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia) Slobodan Milosevic, $1bn
6 Haiti J-C Duvalier, $300-800m
7 Peru Alberto Fujimori, $600m
8 Ukraine Pavlo Lazarenko, $114-200m
9 Nicaragua Arnoldo Aleman, $100m
10 Philippines Joseph Estrada, $78-80m

Source: BBC
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby lexdino » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:34 am

OBJ should have been placed on the number 1 spot because he is the undisputed champion in this category but he didn't even appear at all and i guess maybe because he is still alive :roll:
Hmmm,,,, Yar Adua is a very sluggish but cunning one also but if you ask me, i think this man's name should also had been on this list :D :lol:
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

Postby Richard Akindele » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:03 pm

[quote="lexdino"]OBJ should have been placed on the number 1 spot because he is the undisputed champion in this category but he didn't even appear at all and i guess maybe because he is still alive :roll:
Hmmm,,,, Yar Adua is a very sluggish but cunning one also but if you ask me, i think this man's name should also had been on this list :D :lol:[/quote]

Did OBJ help himself to the nation's fortune? I did not follow his administration closely.

One thing I give OBJ credit for, was the fact that he ensured that our debt was paid off. That debt was huge, and many presidents before him were unable to pay it off. I doubt if they even tried.

The debt was ~$4 billion at some point, at an interest rate of 7.5%. That was $300 million that we were paying to foreign entities every year. Since the interest was being compounded, the amount of the interest grew every year.

So, like him, or hate him, he has managed to save the country at least $300 million/year.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby lexdino » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:26 am

[quote="admin"]One thing I give OBJ credit for, was the fact that he ensured that our debt was paid off. That debt was huge, and many presidents before him were unable to pay it off. I doubt if they even tried.
The debt was ~$4 billion at some point, at an interest rate of 7.5%. That was $300 million that we were paying to foreign entities every year. Since the interest was being compounded, the amount of the interest grew every year.
So, like him, or hate him, he has managed to save the country at least $300 million/year.[/quote]

I agree with you on that.
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

Return to General Topics