[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - DO ANY ONE HAVE IDEA ON SCHOOLING ABROAD

DO ANY ONE HAVE IDEA ON SCHOOLING ABROAD

DO ANY ONE HAVE IDEA ON SCHOOLING ABROAD

Postby spooky20 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:44 am

HI EVERY ONE,
PLEASE I HAVE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY HAS IDEA ON THE TYPE OF SCHOOL ONE CAN GO TO IN ABROAD,I MEAN ONE WILL SCHOOL AND WORK THERE? :?: :?: :?: :?: .
THANKS GUY WITH UR HELP.
[/b]
spooky20
Newbie@Nairaland

Re: DO ANY ONE HAVE IDEA ON SCHOOLING ABROAD

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:52 pm

[quote="spooky20"]HI EVERY ONE,
PLEASE I HAVE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY HAS IDEA ON THE TYPE OF SCHOOL ONE CAN GO TO IN ABROAD,I MEAN ONE WILL SCHOOL AND WORK THERE? :?: :?: :?: :?: .
THANKS GUY WITH UR HELP.
[/b][/quote]

You can work while studying in an American university that would admit you.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

For one thing, tuition is high. If you're not an American citizen, it's even higher, because you're charged at the exorbitant non-citizen rate.

Your first step should be to search online, or visit your local library for addresses of the Registrars of American universities. Write to as many of them as you can. You can also make phone calls during office hours, or send emails.

You basically want to know what the tuition is for foreign students, as well as work opportunities available.

In general, the law allows a foreign student to work a maximum of 20 hours a week. Depending on the type of job you get, the pay will be anything from $6 - $12 /hour. I.e. a max of $960/month before income taxes.

You can work more than 20 hours per week if your school schedule would allow it, since the 20 hour rule is not enforced. However, to work more than 20 hours per week, you almost would end up getting no sleep between classes and work.

A sample tuition for a university is: http://www.unlv.edu/Controller/bursar/spring_fees.html
Pay attention to the non-resident part.

In addition to tuition and fees, you also need food, books and supplies, a place to stay, transportation, clothes, etc.

A group of students often rent an apartment and share the rent. Depending on the city, rent would usually start from $150 per student per month. For a general idea, look for [b]Rooms/shared[/b] under [b]Housing[/b] on http://www.craigslist.org/
Go through many different cities on the website.

One last thing to keep in mind is that the US embassy may require you to have a proof that you're able to fund your education entirely without working. That is their way of keeping people out.

You may want to explore options in other countries such as the UK, the Scandinavian countries, Canada, etc. But I believe the story is pretty much the same as in the USA.

Good luck.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby spooky20 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:03 am

PLEASE HOW DO I GET SCHOLERSHIP PROGRAMMS THERE IN ABROAD? :?: :?: :?: .[quote="admin"][quote="spooky20"]HI EVERY ONE,
THANKS GUY WITH UR HELP.
[/b][/quote]

You can work while studying in an American university that would admit you.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

For one thing, tuition is high. If you're not an American citizen, it's even higher, because you're charged at the exorbitant non-citizen rate.

Your first step should be to search online, or visit your local library for addresses of the Registrars of American universities. Write to as many of them as you can. You can also make phone calls during office hours, or send emails.

You basically want to know what the tuition is for foreign students, as well as work opportunities available.

In general, the law allows a foreign student to work a maximum of 20 hours a week. Depending on the type of job you get, the pay will be anything from $6 - $12 /hour. I.e. a max of $960/month before income taxes.

You can work more than 20 hours per week if your school schedule would allow it, since the 20 hour rule is not enforced. However, to work more than 20 hours per week, you almost would end up getting no sleep between classes and work.

A sample tuition for a university is:
Pay attention to the non-resident part.

In addition to tuition and fees, you also need food, books and supplies, a place to stay, transportation, clothes, etc.

A group of students often rent an apartment and share the rent. Depending on the city, rent would usually start from $150 per student per month. For a general idea, look for [b]Rooms/shared[/b] under [b]Housing[/b] on
Go through many different cities on the website.

One last thing to keep in mind is that the US embassy may require you to have a proof that you're able to fund your education entirely without working. That is their way of keeping people out.

You may want to explore options in other countries such as the UK, the Scandinavian countries, Canada, etc. But I believe the story is pretty much the same as in the USA.

Good luck.[/quote]
spooky20
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:40 pm

[quote="spooky20"]PLEASE HOW DO I GET SCHOLERSHIP PROGRAMMS THERE IN ABROAD? :?: :?: :?: .[/quote]

That is a big question every student at home and abroad is asking.

There is no easy answer. You will have to do your own reasearch online, by typing pertinent keywords in a search engine.

Another approach would be to write directly to each school you're interested in for information.

If you're lucky, your state in Nigeria may be sponsoring its citizens to study abroad. So look there also.

Furthermore, find out about the [b]Bureau for External Aid[/b]. They provide scholarships to very good students on a highly competitive basis.

The road to scholarship land is rough. But with some good fortune, you may be lucky enough to get one. In any event, you generally have to be a first-rate top-knoch student to be awarded a scholarship.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby keyne » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:48 pm

hi,do any body know names of low tuition schools in canada and usa?thanks
keyne
Newbie@Nairaland

Return to Education