[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Web Programming and PHP Frameworks

Web Programming and PHP Frameworks

Web Programming and PHP Frameworks

Postby Richard Akindele » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:27 pm

For close to 12 years now I've been programmed in PHP. I have seen PHP grow from childhood into the incredible, mature language it is today.

Over the years, I have built all manner of applications. PHP along with AJAX and Jquery, have revolutionalized the web. Today, there's almost no application you can't build with PHP, even those mimicking desktop apps.

As powerful as PHP is, the PHP community has been diverging from coding in pure PHP, now into using frameworks.

In the last few years, I have been coding using codeIgniter. Afterwards, I migrated into using Kohana. Today, Kohana is my framework of choice.

For those of you probably just starting out in web development, particularly those using PHP, I'm sure you're already working with OOP. The next step would be to choose a framework. Kohana is a great framework to consider.

Many other frameworks exist, popular among them: Zend, Yii, Symfony, CakePHP, etc.

Zend framework is by far the most popular php framework. Unfortunately, it has a steep learning curve. Yii is a newcomer, and highly rated. With time, I'll check it out.

If you've used other frameworks, share your experience.

Good luck in your programming efforts.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Programming