[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Nigeria Dominates BBC International WAP Usage

Nigeria Dominates BBC International WAP Usage

Nigeria Dominates BBC International WAP Usage

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:01 pm

The UK broadcaster, the BBC has reported that Africa is dominating visits to its mobile phone WAP site. They report that according to July's statistics, 61% of the BBC's international Wap users came from Nigeria and 19% from South Africa. "Wap is the one platform where African countries continue to appear in the top five in our statistics," said BBC developer Gareth Owen.

UK users account for 65% of Wap traffic - and international usage for 35%.

In most African nations, there are more mobile phones than computers, and wireless connections are often more reliable than the landlines.

The BBC says that it receives regular messages of thanks from people in Africa, who say the only access they have to news is via their mobiles. "I'm in Uganda and the only access I have 2 the outside world is this pinhole 2 info cause I don't have access to TV. Thanx," said one texter from Uganda. The country accounted for 7% of BBC WAP usage in July.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Telecom