[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - 3G Service all over Nigeria

3G Service all over Nigeria

3G Service all over Nigeria

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon May 14, 2012 2:47 pm

A well known fact is that mobile phone networks in Nigeria so a very poor job. Same is true of data services for connecting to the Internet from a laptop or a smartphone.

I often chat with people in Nigeria over Skype, Gtalk, Messenger, etc.

The experience has generally been underwhelming. Internet connection has generally been slow, and chat sessions are a torture more often than not, with incessant loss of connectivity. These people I chat with are in the nation's capital city, Abuja.

These people pay for a data service, where you purchase a modem for your laptop, and can then chat from home or from any place within the mobile network's coverage area.

In the past few days, somebody else had a chat with me, where the audio quality was impeccable. We had hour-long chat without a single interruption in the connection.

To push the envelope a bit, I decided to do a conference call, with another friend in London. So we had one person in Ilorin, one in London, and myself in the USA, all on the same call. The conference call lasted for over 30 minutes without the person in Ilorin experiencing any issues, signing off only when the laptop battery charge became low.

So, I was curious to know how come chatting from Abuja is such a headache, but very good from Ilorin. I was made to understand that the Internet connection from Ilorin is 3G.

If 3G is the answer to our connectivity woes, then that is what the entire country ought to be on. Perhaps it's timely that Nigeria just fined Airtel, Etisalat, Globacom, and MTN a combined $7.UNTG2G2.htm

The service these companies provide is sub-par at best. An improvement is needed immediately. If the rest of the world has moved on to 4G LTE, no part of Nigeria should still be on dinosaur 2G.

BTW, if you want information about how to browse the Internet on your phone, see this article: viewtopic.php?t=3341
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Telecom