[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - English vs. American

English vs. American

A place to shed light on Idiomatic expresions, Phrasal verbs, Proverbs and sayings, quotations, clichés, Colloquialisms, Etymology, etc. Both native Nigerian, and global English expressions are welcome.

Which do you prefer?

British English
No votes
American English
100%

Total votes : 1

English vs. American

Postby Richard Akindele » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:08 am

Cast your vote for the type of English you like better.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby drrionelli » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:03 pm

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Each manifestation of language has its merits, both good and bad, in terms of its expressivity and communicability.

What am I missing regarding this? :?:
drrionelli
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby fw12 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:25 pm

I agree with drrionelli. English has nearly unlimited intonations depending on the geographical location of the speakers. However, I still think this is a legitimate topic of debate.

Sound-wise, I prefer American English. I like the idiosyncricies present in the American English. By American English, I'm assuming we're referring to the language as spoken by the educated populace, not the perversion of it by many groups.

Furthermore, I have an easier time understanding an American than I do an Englishman. I guess this can be attributed to the fact that there are more American movies.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Return to Language