[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Olodumare, Orunmila, Ifa, Babalawo

Olodumare, Orunmila, Ifa, Babalawo

Sometimes it's tough to fit a particular topic under available categories. If this applies to you, then post that topic here.

Olodumare, Orunmila, Ifa, Babalawo

Postby Richard Akindele » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:49 pm

The Yoruba people of southwestern Nigeria (Oso, 1975) are rich in culture and have a lot of myths, which explain the origin and behavior of many things in their environment and daily life.

The Yoruba name for God is [i]Olodumare[/i] ([i]Olorun[/i], i.e., the owner of Heaven).

It is the belief of the Yoruba that in matters pertaining to omniscience and wisdom, [i]Olodumare[/i] has a deputy on earth known as [i]Orunmila[/i].

Traditionally, the Yoruba believe that [i]Olodumare[/i] has endowed [i]Orunmila[/i] with special wisdom and foreknowledge to the end that he may be His accredited representative on earth in matters relating to man's destiny.

Oral traditions emphasize that [i]Orunmila[/i] knows all the secrets of the man's being. Thus he can predict what is coming to pass or prescribe remedies against any eventuality. He is in a position to lead with [i]Olodumare[/i] on behalf of man so that unhappy issues may be averted or rectified.

Hence the Yoruba usually consult [i]Orunmila[/i] to find out about the future or what the outcome of an enterprise may be, or when in trouble, what they could do to get out of it. Also, when the Yoruba are urgently in need of certain things they consult [i]Orunmila[/i] to find out what they could to in order to get them.

[i]Ifa[/i], the god of divination, of one of [i]Orunmila's[/i] messengers, the messenger of light, through whom [i]Orunmila[/i] communicates with men and they with him. [i]Ifa[/i] is consulted through the diviner known as [i]Babalawo[/i] (the priest of [i]Ifa[/i]), who understands the language of [i]Ifa[/i] by virtue of this he's also a traditional doctor.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby xdunamis » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:04 am

But these gods are idols which the bible teaches us against, why are they now said to be a means to communicate between God and Man ? i think it is a kind of belief to make idol worshiping a continous thing.
xdunamis
Nairaland Junior

Return to General Topics