[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Broadband Internet in Nigeria

Broadband Internet in Nigeria

Broadband Internet in Nigeria

Postby Richard Akindele » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 am

Our changing world has has growing reliance the Internet. I am a perfect example of somebody who cannot do without the Internet for even just a few minutes.

I work as a software developer. For the first nine years of my working life, I worked the traditional way, where you drive to work in the morning, and remain at the office till closing time. In other words, I had to report to an office daily for my work.

That has now changed. Today I work out of my home. My employer is a company located over broadband Internet access.

I currently have a 19Mbps download speed and 2./month.

My phone is also Internet based. I use magicjack+ which costs $19/year, and comes with free US/Canada calls. Of course, I can always just use Skype without paying for magicjack service. But magickjack provides you with a real phone number and voice mail, whereas Skype does not.

Thanks for the fast broadband speed, I watch global live TV using youtube plus, or XBMC.

I can watch my home security cameras from anywhere in the world.

Also, I can run web-based servers out of my home.

My home security system has the ability to dial 911 in case of an intrusion. This won't happen without the Internet.

As you can see, the applications of the Internet are limitless.

Easy Internet access in Nigeria would open up the global market to Nigerians. Just as my job is Internet based, millions of jobs are available online. The more our people are employed, the less the rate of crimes on the streets. With Internet access, call center business would be easier to establish in Nigeria.

So what does easy Internet access mean? Well, it should be affordable, say within 5% of typical income. And it should be fast enough for watching HD videos. Online videos these days have become a major educational resource. So many training videos that complement classroom instructions. Anybody who does not have fast enough Internet access to watch these videos is really behind the times.

With good Internet access, any vendor could easily open up an online store. This makes those products available for the whole world, as opposed to the 200 people in your immediate neighborhood.

Most of Nigeria's problems have simple solutions. But for some reason, things are generally slow going. The Internet is one of those things. The Internet is no longer a luxury, but a necessity in the world.

Funke Opeke has done her part by being the first to bring submarine fiber cables to Nigeria. It's now up to Information Technology entrepreneurs to build last-mile services for the consumer.

Although submarine cables now exist in Nigeria sporting incredible speeds, its peneration and distribution to individuals is not happening. For now, access cost is still high. Next, power supply is unreliable in Nigeria. In a way, pushing Internet access without stable electricity is like putting the cart before the horse.

Nigeria needs to get its priorities right, if the nation is really serious about changing the status quo.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Internet