[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Browsing the web on your phone

Browsing the web on your phone

Browsing the web on your Android phone

Postby Richard Akindele » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:27 pm

This is a guide on how to configure your Android smart phone for surfing the web from anywhere.

Imagine being able to check your emails, with the same ease as you would make a phone call. And be able to do it anyday, anytime, anywhere. As long as your carrier has network coverage, you can browse the web.

The instructions I will provide apply to any Android smart phone, with Android version 2.2 or better installed.

I'm sure you can configure web browsing on an iPhone, and Blackberry as well. Just call the customer service of your phone service provider and ask how to do it.

I personally prefer Android over iphone/blackberry.

Buying a phone

If you already own an Android phone, use it. Else, if you are looking for an inexpensive Android phone, search online for the following phone, and purchase it:

Android A6000 Smart Phone

I'm recommending this phone because it's the least expensive Android phone I've found that'll do what we want. It comes with version 2.3 of the Android Operating System.

I've seen the phone online for $74, with free shipping worldwide. I'm reluctant to provide a link, because you probably could find this phone, or even a similar Andoroid phone at a lower price.

If you can afford it, I recommend you get a phone with a larger screen size.

The more expensive phone, HD2000 Android Smartphone retails for $150. Most of the more expensive phones do 3G (WCDMA), while the cheaper phones only do 2G (GSM).

If you can't purchase a phone online, because you don't have a credit card, perhaps I could be of help. So let me know.

Getting a SIM card, and purchasing credit

Once you've purchased your phone, you need a sim card for it, and you also need to purchase credit.

- Get a SIM card, to be used for MTN. If your carrier is not MTN, get the appropriate sim card for your network.

- Buy calling credit for your sim card.

- Load the credit onto the phone.

Choosing a plan

Now we want to use some of the credit we just loaded, for browsing the Internet...

The calling credit on your phone can be used for making phone calls. However, if you want to browse the Internet, you must convert some of that credit to a data plan.

You first have to choose a Mobile Internet plan.

Choose one here:
http://www.mtnonline.com/products-servi ... e-internet

To try things out, I chose their 24-hour plan for N100. To do that, I sent a Text 104 to 131.

Configuring the phone for browsing

Now we configure the phone for Internet browsing.

You can configure one of two ways - Automatically, or Manually.

Try automatically first...

by texting the word SETTINGS to 3888. You would receive a response, and be asked to save the settings received immediately.

If automatic configuration does not work for you, try doing it manually, as follows...

On your phone,

1. Press the Menu button. On the A6000 Phone, the Menu button is located on the bottom left.

2. Touch Settings.

3. Wireless and Networks.

4. Mobile networks (APN).

5. Network operators.

6. Wait a bit for a list to be displayed. Several phone companies in your area may be listed. Choose MTN-NG.

7. Press Menu button again.

8. New APN.

9. Now we are going to configure the APN with the following values...

Name: MTN gprs
APN: web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
Username: web
Password: web
server: web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
Mcc: 621
Mnc: 30

Now save those settings.

Shut down the phone.
Then restart it.

Browsing the web

After you have configured the APN either manually or automatically, open a browser on the phone and start browsing the web.

If you can't browse, go over steps 1 through 9 above, and check for errors.

The configuration above is for MTN only. If you have a different carrier, such as Etisalat, choose it in step 5. Then call your carrier to get the correct values for step 9.

Tethering your Android phone to your Laptop

As you know, browsing the web on a tiny phone screen does not present a good experience. Tethering is a great feature that allows you to tie your phone to your laptop. This then allows you to use your laptop for browsing.

Essentially, you'd be using your Android phone as a modem for accessing the web.

Configuring Tethering on Android is very easy.

Note: Tethering does not work with Windows XP. You'd need Windows Vista/Windows7, or Linux running on your laptop. I haven't tested a Mac, so I can't comment.

- First make sure you can surf the web already on the phone. We saw how to do this at the beginning of this article.

- Then plug the microUSB cable into your phone.

- Plug the other end of the USB cable into your laptop/Desktop computer.

- Press the Menu button on your phone.

- Click Settings.

- Wireless and Networks.

- Click Tethering to enable it.

Now go to your laptop/desktop. It should detect that there is a new usb device, and it should install it automatically.

Once it is installed, open a browser on the computer, and you should be able to browse the web directly on your laptop or desktop.

You won't need to touch your phone anymore for that browsing session. All web browsing would be done on your computer's large screen, and full keyboard.

Faster browsing

For faster browsing, turn off images in your browser. You can always turn it back on as-needed.

For even faster browsing, turn off Flash as well.

Turning off Images and Flash not only accelerates browsing speed, but also saves your credit from being depleted quickly.

Skype chat

You can install Skype, Gtalk, imo messenger, ICQ, Yahoo messenger, etc on your Android phone.

You then should be able to do voice/video chat with your friends on those programs.

No more phone charges, no more roaming charges, no more International phone call charges. All you pay for is your data credit. Of course, your carrier can still assess roaming charges if you use it outside their coverage area, but you can configure your phone to disable when roaming applies.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Internet