[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
nairaland.net • View topic - Crime level in Nigeria

Crime level in Nigeria

Have you been to Nigeria lately? Share any experiences of burgelaries, armed robberies, fraud, etc.

Crime level in Nigeria

Postby fw12 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:05 am

I have just returned from spending 3 or 4 months in nigeria.

Its wobbly....not great situation....I was shocked at the lack of progrss it has made. A lot of armed robberies and shoot outs going on in Lagos and port harcourt.

Best not go at present unless you know people there who you are close too and can `hide` you!
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby xxshawtyxx » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:58 pm

nigeria still hasn't change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xxshawtyxx
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:26 am

Unfortunately, nobody is making the effort to combat crime or effect any kind of positive change in Nigeria.

The criminals justify their own actions by saying that they have no choice due to the high level of unemployment in Nigeria. Nigeria has highly intelligent University graduates walking the streets.

What would it take to make Nigeria a better place for the masses?
Can ordinary Nigerians do it on their own, or does the government have to change it's thieving habits first?
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby XSi » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Nigeria is not too bad. If you got something to do, come home and do it. There are worse places to go than here and i tell you, you are probably safer here than you are in the U.S.

Tell me few people have guns here, no racism, no fear of Bin Laden or the Middle East. No fear of earthquakes, no one will start a war here, the worst you'll see is a riot.

No one has your time, just be ready to surrender your money or goods when the "owners" call for them. So many expatriates work here and earn what they'd never earn abroad (home)
If you can live in Lagos, then you can live anywhere else.
I was born in Lagos, and north, south, west or east I'm a die here. Nairobi is a lot worse than lagos, only that their robbers do not have guns.

Anyone tell you naija is not safe, come down and see for yourself. Gunshots are like door bells here, but it's safer than the ghettos in the US, like Bronx, yep, or the Ghettos Pac came from.
XSi
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby fw12 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:17 am

Are you for real?

What in the world are you talking about? How can you compare Nigeria to the USA? It's true there are neighborhoods in America that are far more dangerous than anything you could ever encounter in Nigeria. But the question is, how many Nigerians actually live in those areas?

Nigerians in the USA are generally progressive, and hardly ever live in the ghettos. When you make your comparisons, make sure you present people with accurate data.

As for Nigeria being safe, did you hear about the assassination of a political gubernatorial aspirant, Funsho Williams? How many politicians do you see being assassinated in the USA?

Also, you talk about racism being absent in Nigeria. C'mon man. Are you really serious? How many Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba inter-marriages can you show us? How many inter-tribal business are there in Nigeria? The fact is, the racism in Nigeria is worse than anything you could find in America.

Furthermore, I'm sure you're aware of the muslim killings of christians, and retaliatory killings in the south. Do those not matter to you. If you're an Igbo, can you be safe living and doing business in the north?

It's obvious you're a mouthpiece for Nigeria. But, you're not going to making things better in that country by making excuses for it. Let's call a spade a spade.

One last thing, try to show respect for the USA. Residents here now send home more than $4 billion a year to help you people. Can the same people raise the same amount if they were living in Nigeria?
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby XSi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:36 am

Honour to whom honour is due.

I honestly disagree.

The United States as well as CNN have tried every means available to paint Nigeria black. An Igbo man cannot go to the north to do business with all his heart, but can an American boldly travel to Iraq on vacation? Why not?
Have you heard of the NYSC? Do you know how many Igbos are in the north courtesy of that, and do you know how many Igbos are presently running their businesses there. Moreover, you can't call all the 12 disciples names all because of Judas Iscariot. The north (not all the parts but i believe, 3 out of 36 states, one out of 12 cannot be enough reason to crucify my country.

Now your questions:
How many Nigerians live in those areas? is a good question meaning you acknowledge there are unsafe places in US equal in power to the Almajiris' homes. Now for that reason, let's declare the US in its entirety unsafe for migration.

Assassination of Funsho williams? Malcom X, JFK (a president!), Notorious BIG and my great hero Tupac fell to the bullets of "you people". You have no point. besides, snipers are quite good there too.

Racism and tribalism are two different things. Here religion or at least, soccer brings tribalists together. There are no strictly yoruba or strictly hausa school, and in the seat of government there's equity. US will never see a black president, not in your lifetime. Find out about Transcorp, i'm sure you know nada about them.

I answered that already. no shaking. Remember 9-11 and killings of psychopaths who watch movies and go out to spray people, or mexicans killing high school students and shooting at teachers, or gas killings or stuff. DOn't paint yankee white, we are not daft people over here. I remember the case of one old Mr Davis (guess i'm right) and how the police (about 5 of them, whites) beat this man to the extent that blood was gushing from his nose and some parts of his head. I watched the video evidence like 100 times. It's glaring, this is the highest point of racism, let alone others that were not covered on camera - much difference from the situation with our police?

Finally, Naija, i repeat is not totally unsafe, people live up to 90 & 100, no country is entirely free from disaster, name a country that has not had its ups and downs, even your yankee. Come down to africa and talk about Rwanda, Congo, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan and what what not. A spade is a spade, the US is not safer than Naija, and as it is, i'd be in a better position to tell a terrorist i'm a nigerian, u tell then u are a yankee. I'm proud of me man.

Much respect to the USA, but i won't stand to let them rubbish my homeland (motherland) - maybe u should listen to Sound sultan's motherland. Thanks for sending the dollars back, you'd be a dummy if you didn't. Think, (give back to the hood, or give it to people who don't need it?)

If they were living in Nigeria, we could have a country like India or Korea or even Japan, cos we got brains worldwide. Ask people like Globacom, Global Fleet, Zenith Bank, Oceanic Bank, Transcorp and the likes of them. And also, in politics, we sign 4 billa, if the need arises, ask IBB.

All said and done guy, I have 3 people from Yankee around me for the summer, and they are going back in one piece, don't tell pple not to come home cos you had an unfortunate return, tell them to watch out, and the police may not be their friend. Damn.
XSi
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby fw12 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:07 am

Now I see where your problem is. You've been watching CNN a little too much. What makes you think that CNN is a balanced reporter of the news. Do you know that CNN is anti-American? Anything they present is almost always biased against America.

I don't know what TV channels you actually have access to, but please don't quote CNN as your source ever again. If you want a fair and balanced account of the news, watch Fox News channel.

As far as how dangerous America is, I don't know how smart you are, but I seriously don't see how you could say that something is bad, simply because a portion of it is bad. That is the most ridiculous extrapolation I've ever heard.

You probably took a vacation to America once and stayed in the ghettos. And that unfortunately has left a bad taste in your mouth. Isn't that so shortsighted?

My advice to you is to quit generalizing simply because you have a little knowledge about something.

Regarding racist/tribalism, I would say there's absolutely no difference. It all amounts to the same thing - discrimination. And I maintain that there's more discrimination in Nigeria among tribes than there is racism in America. Some states have adopted Sharia law. Can you consider yourself safe in those states?

You sighted an example of blood gushing out of somebody's head. Well, what do you think happens in the north during those religious riots? People getting burned alive in their cars. People beaten to death on the streets like animals. Would you say that's less gruesome than what you saw on your little CNN?

Finally, before I go, let me say that Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo can be considered different races, not merely different tribes. So the term [b]racism[/b] does apply to Nigerian tribes. If you doubt me, look up the definition of [b]race[/b] in the dictionary.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby XSi » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:18 am

Thank God at last you hit the nail in the head - but you shot yourself in the leg. I'll show you the colour of your undies now. Just a second.

CNN, anti-american? I beg your pardon, CNN of AOL Time Warner? or CNN of the Middle East? Please see their website for Archives. History still has the painful interview of Obasanjo and how Anti - American the interviewer was. Anti- my Arse.

Watch Fox news? a wider coverage than CNN, you shoulda refered to BBC instead.

This is where you murdered your case. US has declared to his citizens, time and again, that Nigeria is unsafe for visits or investment. THE WHOLE OF NIGERIA. Nigeria is not limited to the north or a particular region, just like Yahoo boys made Go daddy blacklist ALL NIGERIAN ISPs. So if something is bad, the whole thing is bad, it's called the LOGIC AND. If for that reason, you came for 4 months and you went back with the impression Nigeria is bad, and subsequent replies read Naija has still not changed, I wonder why i don't have the right to say the whole of the US is rather unsafe as well, all because the ghettos as well as terrorists hang around the corner. There's a tie here.

Discrimination? You still didn't tell me you'd see a black president soon. Did i get you there?race and tribe - the same? You are from the black race (negro) but the Yoruba tribe (don't disgrace us please, we are violent here and unsafe, but we are cultured).
And for your info, the major tribes have ruled the nation. How dare you compare tribalism to racism? You just disgraced your tribe.

little CNN? Did you lose your job or did CNN sack you. I'm sure there must be more to this your beef with CNN. I hope you are not one of those people who come back to say, AH! JFK has been shot! Hoping people would open their eyes and welcome the STALE gist. We are soo soo updated man, CNN, FYI, is not little, we both know that.

You sound so confused. My bottom line is: America should cure itself internally before declaring Nigeria Unsafe and selling such ideas to you, and you, being a Nigerian (unadulterated, hopefull) should stop propagating America's idea that Nigeria (without being realistic) is entirely unsafe. We've heard worst gist from them than they have from us.

Thanks for agreeing with that point. The fact that some parts are bad doesn't make the whole country bad. Thank you.
XSi
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby fw12 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:56 pm

Highly gullible people like you aren't worth engaging in a conversation with.

You have access to a little info, and straight away, you present it like you're an authority on that subject.

When I say watch Fox News, I mean watch Fox News. Not CNN, not BBC.

For your information, BBC is also anti-American. Shows how much you know about geo-politics.

Read about BBC's Anti-American inclination:
[url]http://ussneverdock.blogspot.com/2004/06/bbc-anti-american-crusade-exposed.html[/url]

As far as Fox News' coverage, we're not talking about the scope of coverage here. Rather, we're talking about bias and ultimate accuracy.

CNN, BBC put a spin on their reporting tilted against America, the same way that Al-jazzera, and Al-Arabia do.

Fox on the other hand looks fairly at both sides of the story. That's why you need to stay away from CNN if you want facts, rather than rhetoric.

If you want to learn about what Fox is about, read this:
[url]http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005312[/url]

Going back to your original premise that because American ghettos are violent, therefore USA is not worth living in, then let me ask you this: London has its ghettos such as Brixton, and Peckham in the Southwark/Lambeth boroughs, where crimes such as burglaries, rapes, and murder occur regularly. But London also has good boroughs such as Hackney, Croyden, etc that are crime free.

Going by your twisted logic, the fact that Brixton and Peckham are violent, London therefore is worse than Nigeria. Is that an accurate assessment?

Answer that first, then I'll debunk your other lies.

By the time we get to the end of this exchange, you would have learned something, whether you're willing to admit it or not. So, keep it coming. I'll be here waiting for you.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby XSi » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:31 am

My guy,
I hope i'm talking to a man and not a robot?

First of all, you have a poor knowledge of literature. You need an interpreter to understand my posts, you just get your posts duller and poorer by the day that it makes me wonder if you truly know what you are talking about. Who cares if CNN is anti-american? If they say something wrong about America, then they should face the music. You sue people when they mis yan about you, unless those allegations are true. I don't need CNN to tell me Yankee is not safe. You picking out London again, are you out of your mind? I said there's no safe place in this world, not even one, so keep manufacturing places America won't advise you to go to, someday, you could be Nigeria's Ambassador to America (or CNN sef)

Hear yourself out. You said you visited Nigeria for 3 or 4 months and declared the Country unsafe -> exactly what the US government advised her people "don't go to Nigeria"

You come to Nairaland to declare such to, knowing this is a global point of view and you expect me to log on and smile at you. What makes you think you are safer than I am?

That is my point. I won't accept that Nigeria is unsafe unless you declare that America is unsafe as well.

Haven't you heard some parents say they can't send their kids to America so they don't come back to say "[b]Dad, you are stupid?[/b]"
Negro please, swallow your American pride, besides you got nothing to give back to America, so don't sell your country out cos they sold it out already.

Now to your dumbest statement of the year:
[quote]You have access to a little info, and straight away, you present it like you're an authority on that subject. [/quote]
Where you feeling tipsy when you said this? Because America said Nigeria is unsafe (little info, baseless) must you follow suit? Who has access to little info now, you or me? You need to be checked. If I have access to little info and I understand it, i'm better off than you who has access to all the info in the world yet talks like one from the age of dinosaurs.

Damn. :D :D
XSi
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby fw12 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 am

[quote]Going back to your original premise that because American ghettos are violent, therefore USA is not worth living in, then let me ask you this: London has its ghettos such as Brixton, and Peckham in the Southwark/Lambeth boroughs, where crimes such as burglaries, rapes, and murder occur regularly. But London also has good boroughs such as Hackney, Croyden, etc that are crime free.

Going by your twisted logic, the fact that Brixton and Peckham are violent, London therefore is worse than Nigeria. Is that an accurate assessment?
[/quote]

Keep dodging the questions, and I'll keep calling you on it.

I want you to answer the question I asked you. Then we'll talk.

[quote]Nigeria is not too bad. If you got something to do, come home and do it. There are worse places to go than here and i tell you, you are probably safer here than you are in the U.S.

Tell me few people have guns here, no racism, no fear of Bin Laden or the Middle East. No fear of earthquakes, no one will start a war here, the worst you'll see is a riot.
[/quote]

The above is a quote from one of your posts. Clearly, you're contending that Nigeria is a safer place to live than America.

So, my question to you is, is Nigeria also a safer place to live than London because London has a few bad neighorhoods?

That is a simple question. Answer it clearly, if you would please.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:47 am

There are good and bad areas of town in any country. But if taken as a whole, are you [b]safer[/b] in Nigeria?

There are places in America where you better not venture into, or you could get killed. But there are very safe areas too. So, it makes no sense to say Nigeria or USA is safer. It all depends on where you reside.

Having said that, I believe Nigeria offers its citizens fewer opportunities compared America, including safety. That would explain why the tide is toward coming to America, and not the other way around. If you get in trouble, you can call 911 and know someone is coming to help you. I'm not sure the same is true in Nigeria.

As far as America advising its citizens not to go to Nigeria, I don't think Nigeria is the only country on that list. Such advisory is put out based on past incidences. And to be fair, there are tons of such caution put out to warn people travelling even within the United States. So, I think the US is doing a fair job in that regard.

[quote]Haven't you heard some parents say they can't send their kids to America so they don't come back to say "Dad, you are stupid?"
[/quote]

American culture leans more toward independent thinking, while Nigerian culture is about respecting your elders.

Unfortunately, even when your elders are wrong, you're still supposed to bow to them. Not in America though. If you're wrong, an American will tell you so.

That would explain why people who grew up in Nigeria and subscribe to it's values, would feel rather uncomfortable adjusting to the American way.

There is good and bad in both cultures. So, a parent who refuses to let his child go to America is not being completely rational. Would you say a guy like Philip Emeagwali, who has lived in America for a very long time, is now a bad person?
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Lagos, Nigeria: 2006 Crime and Safety Report

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:27 pm

Lagos, Nigeria: 2006 Crime and Safety Report
Crime and Safety Report
Sub-Saharan Africa - Nigeria
February 22 2006

Overall Crime and Safety Situation:

The United States Department of State rates the overall crime level in Nigeria as critical. Violent crime is frequent throughout the country. Carjackings, home invasions and robberies, as well as financial fraud of all types, plague Nigerian society. Americans citizens who travel to Nigeria are not specifically targeted as Americans but are under the same threat as the general populace and expatriates.

Political Violence

American interests within Lagos are currently under no credible and specific terrorist threat. Political gatherings and street demonstrations are known to occur with little or no warning. Travelers must be aware of their surroundings so that they can safely avoid or depart an area when a demonstration occurs. Tribal and ethnic conflicts in some parts of Nigeria flare up without warning and tend to be violent. Though these disputes do not usually target Americans specifically, travelers must be cautious to avoid becoming a target of opportunity. Expatriates and western-based companies have often been the targets for kidnappings and facility takeovers. These incidents usually involve disputes with the local communities and local groups attempting to ensure the oil industry companies negotiate with them regarding benefits for the local community.

Post-Specific Concerns:

The kidnapping of petroleum personnel and occupation of oil production facilities for ransom remains a common threat, especially in the Port Harcourt vicinity of the Niger Delta. Generally, a group will take over a facility and hold the occupants for up to several days. When some form of understanding or compensation is agreed upon, the occupants and the facility are returned unharmed.

Vehicular travel in Nigeria can be a hazardous undertaking and should be scheduled so that travel is only done during the daylight hours. The lack of traffic laws and unpredictable driving habits adds to the risk of travel. Vehicular accidents are common and frequently draw a large and confrontational crowd. All of these elements advantage criminals. Public transportation is unsafe and not recommended.

In addition to the criminal dangers of travel in the country, the lack of medical response or adequate trauma facilities is a concern for all motorists.

Police Response:

Local police or neighborhood associations are generally ineffective in deterring or disrupting burglaries and other crimes, and seldom are able to apprehend or arrest suspects after the fact.

Nigerians do not respect the local police. The criminal element in and around Lagos does not fear capture or prosecution for their crimes. However, should criminals (perceived or actual) be captured by vigilantes, lynching or immolation are common punishments.

Medical Emergencies

Emergency medical care is not readily available in Lagos. There are several hospitals and clinics located in Lagos but none are up to western standards. Poor training, a lack of equipment and poor sterilization standards are issues for the majority of the hospitals and clinics in Lagos.

Some clinics and rescue services used by Americans are:

Dr. K.A. Omotosho
Kamorass Specialist Clinic Plot 238A, Muri Okunola Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
Phone: 261-2799

Tocaro
Plot 1618, Danmole Street, Victoria Island, Lagos Phone: 613-364, 612-694

Critical Rescue International, Nigeria's First National Advanced Plot 144, Oba Akran Ave., Ikeja, Lagos
0802-888

Paramedic Company

AEA International SOS Clinic INTEL Camp
KM 12 Aba-PHC Expressway
Phone: 084-236243
084-230025 Ext. 5094, 5092, 5093

Tips on How To Avoid Becoming a Victim:

The following Nigeria-specific security precautions are provided to raise your security consciousness and help deter/prevent both terrorist and criminal attacks.

-- Avoid disputes with local citizens.

-- Avoid large crowds of people.

-- Do not use personal checks, credit cards or ATMs anywhere in Nigeria.

-- Due to the proliferation of identity and financial fraud throughout Nigeria, do not bring information about yourself and your finances that you do not need.

-- Be wary of business offers promising a large payoff for little or no investment.

-- Carry only the amount of cash you need and distribute it within several pockets.

-- Avoid guides and other strangers who approach you with offers of assistance.

-- Always be polite and respectful of policemen and soldiers.

-- Never photograph public buildings, monuments, or airports.

-- Some Nigerians may object to having their picture taken, so always ask permission.

-- If approached by an armed robber or armed carjacker, cooperate.

-- Never leave identifying material or valuables in the vehicle.

-- Avoid trips to remote areas, especially after dark.

-- Keep vehicles well maintained, including a usable spare tire.

-- Remain a safe distance behind the vehicle ahead of you to allow space for avoidance maneuvers, if necessary.

-- Always slow down and acknowledge police and military at checkpoints. Police are authorized to shoot at suspected stolen vehicles, and will do so if you don't stop.

-- Be alert for suspicious persons when exiting or approaching your vehicle.

-- All businesses, Nigerian or otherwise, employ guard services at work and at home. There are many companies with varying quality of service. Since Nigerian law prohibits the arming of private security personnel, police personnel often supplement guard forces. These arrangements can be made by your local guard company or with the local police station.

For Further Information:

The United States Consulate Lagos is open from 0730-1600 hours Monday to Friday.

All Americans should register with the American Citizen Services (ACS) upon arrival in-country or register on-line. ACS can be contacted at phone number: (234)-(1)-261-1215 from 07:30 to 12:00, Monday to Friday.

For after-hours assistance call (234)-(1)-261-0050, or 261-0078, and listen to the options given. In case of an emergency call the above number and then press zero when you here the automated attendant to be put through to the United States Marine Security Guard on post.

OSAC-Nigeria Country Council is a vibrant and active group. The council meets monthly, usually on the first Tuesday of each month. Every other month's meeting is open to all U.S. private sector organizations. For more information, contact the Regional Security Office at U.S. Consulate Lagos or visit http://lagos.osac.gov.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby XSi » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:27 pm

This post sure makes more sense.

Now let me have tips on how to live safely in America. Nigerians also travel there don't they?

Bias?

@fw12
I retain my statement. If you have the rights to say Naija is unsafe, i can equally tell you Yankee is unsafe, My points are there for you to cancel out.
As for me, I'm yet to find a completely safe place (devoid of natural disasters at least) so I won't tell you don't go to Nairobi (bla bla bla) what's all that?
XSi
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby Richard Akindele » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:30 pm

[quote="XSi"]This post sure makes more sense.

Now let me have tips on how to live safely in America. Nigerians also travel there don't they?

Bias?[/quote]

Simple. Live in safe neighborhoods, of which there are more of them than not, and you'll be safe. Obviously Nigeria also has safe neighborhoods, but to a much lesser extent.

Perhaps, the most important aspect of this discussion is that if you pick up any phone and dial 911, you know help will come. There's no such thing in Nigeria.

I don't get why anybody would argue the obvious.

I know you love Nigeria unconditionally, but are you helping eradicate your society's ills by pretending they don't exist? That is where America differs from most backward nations. While people love to conceal their weaknesses in other nations, Americans are extremely vocal in criticising anything that is not right in their society.

Ultimately, what you believe is your prerogative. So, good luck.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Next

Return to Crime in Nigeria