[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Nigerian puppy scam warning

Nigerian puppy scam warning

Expose scam letters and emails. If scammers sent you an email or fax, post it here. Share any experiences you've had, including talking to them on the phone.

Nigerian puppy scam warning

Postby fw12 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Security experts are warning of a new email scam originating from Nigeria offering you the chance to adopt a puppy.

The emails, which have a photograph of the dog attached, are supposedly sent by a couple on a Christian mission in Africa, who have a Yorkshire Terrier who isn't coping with the heat very well.

However, the scammers behind the email are attempting to extract financial details from recipients in the latest version of what has become known as the '419' scam.
[img]http://imagebank.ipcmedia.com/imageBank/c/cutepuppylarge.jpg[/img]

The number 419 relates to the area of Nigerian law that these financial tricks are contravening. Like many of these scams, this particular one is characterised by the poor use of grammar.

Part of the email reads: "I and my Husband have now decided to give her out on Adoptioto [sic] someone that can give her a good home and take very good care of her. She's a very loving puppy, she will be a good companion. If you know you can take very good care of her do send me a reply back through my email address below or you can give me a call so we can discuss on phone."

However, by targeting animal lovers, this particular fraud aims to attract a whole new audience, rather than the scams that offered large sums of money in exchange for bank details.

"Most of us are probably all too familiar with the scam emails which claim you have inherited millions of dollars, or won the lottery, but this time the scammers are deliberately pulling on the heartstrings of animal lovers," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos.

"The criminals are offering the pet puppy in an attempt to gather information from kind-hearted people who jump in to help. If you respond, the scammers will try and steal confidential information about you, or sting you for cash, and ultimately you'll be the one ending up in the doghouse," continued Cluley.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Return to 419