[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Nigeria in big scamster crackdown

Nigeria in big scamster crackdown

Expose scam letters and emails. If scammers sent you an email or fax, post it here. Share any experiences you've had, including talking to them on the phone.

Nigeria in big scamster crackdown

Postby fw12 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Nigeria's anti-corruption agency says it has shut down some 800 fraudster e-mailers and arrested those behind 18 high-profile "cyber crime syndicates".

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said it has been working with the computer giant Microsoft to crack down on the scammers.

EFCC head Farida Waziri said her agency was now using "smart technology" rather than raids on internet cafes.

Correspondents say Nigeria is seen as a centre for web scams and spam e-mails.

Cyber crime has remained a big challenge to Nigeria's security agencies despite efforts made in recent years to counter it.

The con tricks - known as "419 scams" after the penal code that outlaws them in Nigeria - are often run by well-organised gangs.

According to an EFCC statement, Ms Waziri said the new operation, called "eagle claw", would be fully operational within six months.

"It will take Nigeria out of the top 10 list of countries with the highest incidence of fraudulent e-mails," she said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8322316.stm
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby Richard Akindele » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:53 pm

I would believe it when I see it.

How many times have we heard before that this time, Nigeria is serious about tackling 419 problem? One or two raids take place, and life returns to what it's always been.

Nigeria's name is deeply entrenched in 419. It's known as Nigerian scam, irrespective of the fact that many neighbouring African countries are just as culpable.

419 is extremely easy to battle. It'd all be predicated upon the fact that the scammers provide their contact info. All that is needed is to set up stings and nab the crooks. Why Nigeria needed to employ the services of Microsoft is beyond me.

Nigeria is unable to stand on it's own two feet, instead it always pays foreign entities millions of Dollars to get things done. Money is flowing out of Nigeria, while we have University graduates roaming the streets.

How about setting up a competition that awards the winner something like N2 million! A tiny fraction of what was paid to Microsoft.

The competition would simply ask for feasible solutions on how to eradicate 419. That would put Nigerians to work, and get them putting together innovative ideas about how to battle 419.

Instead, Nigeria pays Microsoft a ton of money, even though Microsoft itself is a failure with its Windows OS.

Nigeria, quit running abroad each time you need something done. Start investing in your own people. I alone could set up a comprehensive solution to 419, based on my IT knowledge. Why is my knowledge, and that of people like myself not being put to good use?

If I were given the challenge to come up with a solution, part of my suggestion would be that one reason that 419 is so prevalent in Nigeria, is the fact that smart Nigerians have no work. Hence, these jobless people turn to fraud. Fix the nation, put these people to work, and watch the problem of 419 start to go away on its own.

Despite my rant, let me say that I welcome the news that somebody in government is aware of a need to do something about 419, and salvage Nigeria's image.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby xdunamis » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:47 pm

I wont believe that this will work because it definetely cant work. Internet scam is like a thing that have come to stay in this country of ours and eradicating it will be very difficult. In my own opinion the government should set out strategies to reduce it instead of going out all the way to arrest and prosecute these youths that are engaged in it. What else would you espect from a country where the government does not care about the employment status of its youths, even these internet scam of a thing have helped reduce the rate of armed robbers in this country.
xdunamis
Nairaland Junior

Postby fw12 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:45 pm

[quote="xdunamis"]What else would you espect from a country where the government does not care about the employment status of its youths, even these internet scam of a thing have helped reduce the rate of armed robbers in this country.[/quote]

I agree totally. The most potent weapon against 419 is to provide employment for the youth.

You cannot eradicate scamming. Even if unemloyment rate is 1%, there'd still be lazy ones among us who would want something for nothing. However, the rate of scamming then would be very minimal.

[quote]Why is my knowledge, and that of people like myself not being put to good use?[/quote]

Nigeria does not respect its geniuses. Instead, these people leave to go work in Saudi Arabia, US, UK, etc. Then after these people have struggled to establish their legal residency abroad, everybody wants them to return home. A home that still does not have basic electricity, health care, etc.

I read the Admin's tech stuff, and he does know a lot. But nobody in Nigeria would contact him to fix 419. Rather, they'd pay millions to outside companies to probably do a lesser job.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Return to 419