[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Nigeria is world's third poorest nation- European Commission

Nigeria is world's third poorest nation- European Commission

Nigeria is world's third poorest nation- European Commission

Postby Richard Akindele » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:06 pm

The head of the delegation of the European Commission to Nigeria, Leonidas Tezapsidis, says Nigeria is ranked the country with the third highest number of poor people in the world.

Tezapsidis stated this at a workshop for Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Reform Programme (WSSSR) and Support to Reforming Institution Programme (SRIP) in Abuja on Thursday.

Represented by Mostato Waker Risorrch, the EU boss said China and India were the only countries ahead of Nigeria.

"Doesn’t Nigeria have enough oil to take care of its citizens? No, Nigeria is not rich," he argued, saying that oil alone could not eradicate poverty in Nigeria considering the proportion of poor people in the country.

“Nigeria may rival countries like Kuwait in oil and gas reserve but there are 50 times more Nigerians than Kuwaitis,’’ Tezapsidis argued.

According to him, if every Nigerian is to receive an equal share of the current high oil revenue, poverty would still not be over. The EU boss said that the only way to eliminate poverty in Nigeria is to make wise use of the limited resources available in the country.

“Investment in sanitation and water facilities can indeed be a very worthwhile undertaking," he said.

Lezapsidis said that recent studies had shown that an investment of $1 in this sector can yield a return of as much as $21. He said that although it was hard to put a price on health, well-being and comfort, yet an investment in better water supply could pay off many times over.

Lezapsidis also said that the European Community water funding programme would improve water delivery to more than 2 million Nigerians if the services are carefully planned and maintained.

Earlier, the Water Resources Minister, Mukhtari Shagari, represented by the minister of state in the ministry, Salome Jakoda, had described the EU funding as a welcome development to the Nigerian water sector.
“The commencement of this programme marks the success of the water supply and sanitation sector programme introduced by this administration," he said.

NAN reports that more than $151 million was budgeted for the EU water programme for a period of two years.

Daily Triumph
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:30 pm

Nigeria currently doesn't even qualify as a country. For that you need a government, an economy, laws, rudimentary sanitation...things like that.

Nigeria is such a mess that the whole population seems to want to sneak out to other countries.

Look around you, 419 is rampant. So rampant in fact, that it's now dubbed Nigerian Scam!

This nation has been independent for close to 50 years now and, in that time, has degenerated so much that we're now the third poorest country in the world.

Fifty years after America became independent, it was a world power.

Is it a black curse? I say that because it does seem to me that the black race is incapable of progress. Even blacks living in the number one country in the world - America, still can't excel. What is wrong with this picture?

I know that many people would argue that if only the politicians didn't steal so much money from us, the nation would do better. Well, but are you also to blame for making it so easy for somebody to steal from you?

Obasanjo is burning the candle at both ends today trying to do reforms. However, he has his hands in too many things at once. It is not very likely that all these proposed projects can be effectively supervised to make sure nobody is stuffing their pockets with money meant for development.

If I were the head of state, I would focus my administration on just a few fundamental things, such as water, food, electricity, good roads, sanitation, etc. By the time I leave office, Nigerians would know something has changed for the better.

Wake up from your slumber Nigerians. You could make Nigeria better if only you tried.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Chatterbox