[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Protesters stone Obasanjo’s convoy in Kano

Protesters stone Obasanjo’s convoy in Kano

Protesters stone Obasanjo’s convoy in Kano

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:33 am

On its way to Jigawa State enroute from Kano, the convoy of President Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday ran into hundreds of protesting youths who hauled missiles at it in the ancient city.

But in Jigawa, the president, while responding to a praise singer who urged him to damn the constitution and accept to rule for another 12 years, said he had no hand in such matters. The Kano incident had precipitated a violent clash between the supporters of All Nigeria People Party (ANPP) and the rival Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), resulting in the destruction of about 70 vehicles while the stone-throwing youths chanted anti Obasanjo slogans. The supporters of both political parties were seen wielding dangerous weapons, which they also used to smash the windscreens of any vehicle that carried the posters of a rival party. It took the intervention of the security personnel to control the situation at Kofar Nasarawa at the heart of Kano metropolis when the warring youths engaged themselves in a skirmish. Consequently, some people suffered various degrees of injuries. Obasanjo was on his way to Kazaure, Jigawa state where the governor, Alhaji Saminu Turaki, received a traditional title of Turakin Kazaure. The President, who was accompanied by the Minister of Defence, Alhaji Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, and his counterpart in the ministry of Water Resources, Alhaji Muktari Shagari, stopped at Janguza Barrack, where he commissioned a water project constructed by Jigawa State Government. While commissioning the project, Obasanjo seized the opportunity to crack jokes in Hausa language to the delight of his crowd of supporters, who thronged the venue. But he would not commit himself on the issue of third term. Obasanjo was at Roni, venue for the commissioning of a special computer centre for girls, when a PDP staunch supporter, Malam Babba, shouted in Hausa "Ba ruwan mu da constitution, mun amince ka ci gaba har tsawon shekaru goma-sha-biyu", meaning: "Damn the constitution, we agree for you to cling to power till the next 12 years". To this, Obasanjo responded, also in Hausa, "Ba ruwana akwai rigima a Abuja o", meaning: "I don’t have hand in that because there is trouble in Abuja.� Malam Babba, however, told THISDAY later that he sincerely did not mean what he said rather, he just wanted to impress Mr. President to see how he might respond to it. Babba said he had been trying "since 1999 to impress him in order to give me a special recognition but all along he refused. I am sure if it were Vice President Atiku Abubakar I would have long entered his good book." Obasanjo who was vividly impressed by what he had seen at the centre said that there must be a conscious effort to achieve 100 per cent education especially for the girl-child. Adding, “I am happy that the intervention we were able to offer had been translated to the children in Jigawa state.� Source: Thisday
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Chatterbox