[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Deposed Imam narrates woes over daughter’s lesbianism

Deposed Imam narrates woes over daughter’s lesbianism

Deposed Imam narrates woes over daughter’s lesbianism

Postby Richard Akindele » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:49 am

Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby drrionelli » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:49 pm

It seems that I've heard something about a proposal to "outlaw" homosexuality in Nigeria. What is the actual nature of this?

Where might one find more information about it?
drrionelli
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby Richard Akindele » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:22 pm

This BBC article says something about it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4626994.stm

It's amazing to know that even a modern day nation such as the United States of America is also homophobic.

The battle against homosexuality was a lot more intense in the past compared to the present time. Therefore, one can safely conclude that things will change as time goes on in favor of the elimination of such taboos.

I don't know exactly what the argument is against homosexuality, other than to say it's frowned upon in the Holy scriptures. But if that's the case, then by the same token, so many things in Holy scriptures should lead to prosecution. For example, the Bible say "Honor your parents". Should the government then persecute those who don't?

Religion is dangerous if irrational people are allowed to enforce its tenets. Unfortunately, that is exactly what is happening around the world today.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby fw12 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:33 pm

Is there a homosexuality gene, or is it simply an acquired taste?

If homosexuals carry a gene that predisposes them to being attrated to their own sex, persecuting them is tantamount to punishing the helpless.

It's legitimate to ask why some people have homosexual tendencies, and others don't. Should governments or religious bodies be punishing people for conditions they have no control over?
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby drrionelli » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:44 pm

I certainly agree with you, fw12. What is happening is that the government, in such a case, is persecuting not only the helpless, but, indeed, those who have done nothing that is unlawful (other than by the most arbitrary definition of "wrong")!

By no means do I have the answers to the "nature -v- nurture" argument in the case (although I lean [u][i]very[/i][/u] strongly towards "nature"). And, there is no empirical evidence that suggests it's an issue of "nurture." Still, the fact of the matter is that homosexuality exists in nature...not just among humans, but in just about every animal species. Homosexuality in and of itself is not compromising in a community, societal or even cultural structure. It never has been and there is nothing to suggest that it poses an immediate threat now.

Too much government intervention is not a good thing, is it?
drrionelli
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:37 pm

This is one of those gray areas in our world.

I agree with you drrionelli. Evidence of homosexuality points more toward nature than norture. One could take the argument a step further and ask why some homosexual men have feminine xteristics, such as voice, breasts, long hair, the desire to gossip, etc.

Also, the impulse must be powerful for somebody in an important position to want to jeopardize that position by doing something that is prohibited in the society. We all know about some leaders who have come out, and ended up being shown the door.

The ultimate question is: who gets hurt because somebody is a homosexual? As you said: "Homosexuality in and of itself is not compromising in a community, societal or even cultural structure."

Hence, I really don't know what the origin of the animosity against homosexuals is.

You hit the nail on the head. If you want something done right, don't let the government be in charge.

I believe humans have a nature of needing something to hate. That is the reason there's so much strife in the world today. If it's not homosexuality, it's religion, if not that, it's political wranglings, race, etc.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Religion