[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Does God really exist?

Does God really exist?

Does God really exist?

Postby Richard Akindele » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:31 pm

God is often depicted as omnipotent, omnipresent. This means, God is aware of every little thing, good or bad, that is going to happen in our universe.

To believers, this position cannot even be questioned. It's just what it is.

Free thinkers however, would consider such statement unreasonable. If God created heaven and earth, and all its contents, it invariably means that we all belong to God. Sort of like one huge family.

There are those among us who do nothing but work hard, praise God, and handle our responsibilities to our family and friends.

From time to time, natural disasters occur that wipe out good and bad people alike. Families are shattered. Children lose their parents. Examples are Tsunami, Katrina, etc. Furthermore, there are terminal diseases such as cancer, that afflict and kill millions yearly.

Did God know these disasters were going to occur?

Did God have the power to stop them, or at least reward good and innocent people by sparing them the agony?

If God had the power to stop the disasters, why didn't he?

The fact is, if I know of an impending catastrophe that is going to hit my family, and I have the power to do something about it, I'd do something to prevent it, or at least get the good people out of harm's way. The bad guys can burn in hell for all I care.

Why did God ignore things and let people suffer in this manner, particularly small kids who end up losing both parents, or a family losing its only breadwinner.

Or could it just be that the existence of God is just a figment of our imagination?

Could it be that God exists, only because we want him to exist?

Could it be that God exists, only because that is what we've been taught to believe?

Could it be that God exists, only because we've been conditioned to think that it's a sin to think the opposite, and that we'd end up in eternal hell if we even entertained a contrary opinion?

I wonder about these things. Do you?
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby fairykarma » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:44 am

Not really, I am an atheist. Not a militant atheist, just one that doesn't care whether God exists or not. Though I do take my little sister to church.
fairykarma
Newbie@Nairaland

Return to Religion