[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - ASUU Strike Paralyses Varsities

ASUU Strike Paralyses Varsities

ASUU Strike Paralyses Varsities

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:11 pm

ACADEMIC activities in many of the nation's ivory towers were paralysed yesterday following the commencement of a three-day warning strike by members of Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

But Education Minister, Mrs Chinwe Obaji in her reaction to the industrial action said the Federal Government was ready to dialogue with the union to resolve the issues at stake.

Speaking with Radio Nigeria on the strike, she said contrary to claims by ASUU, government's funding of 24 federal universities had increased tremendously over the years.

For instance, she said budgetary allocation to the affected universities rose from N6 billion to N56 billion last year while N60 billion has been voted for the same purpose this year.

ASUU president, Dr Abdullahi Sule-Kano has said the strike was to press for the actualisation of a 2001 agreement with the government as well as recall of the 49 sacked University of Ilorin (UNILORIN) lecturers.

But from across some universities including the University of Benin (UNIBEN), University of Lagos (UNILAG), University of Abuja (UNIABUJA) and the Adekunle Ajasin University (AAU) Akungba-Akoko among others yesterday, lecture rooms were completely empty as lecturers complied with the ASUU directive to down tools.

At UNIBEN, the strike took a toll on on-going semester examinations with all the faculties shifting dates for the tests.

Some of the students who had turned up for examinations were disappointed having waited for several hours without seeing their teachers.

A 300-level Sociology student who gave her names as Loveth, said "I was not aware of the directive that lecturers should proceed on three days warning strike. I have one paper to write today and when I got to the lecture hall, I was surprised that nobody was there. I then called one of my course mates who passed on the information to me.

"I think Federal Government should this time around listen to the demands of the university lecturers and try as much as possible to meet some of their demands. This type of strike which I am told would be followed by an indefinite strike is not good for the nation's educational system.

"Enough attention should be given to the education sector so that youths would be able to pass through the system without much stress. The way it is now, one is seriously worried and if the Federal Government wants to put an end to the incessant youth restiveness then their future should be made to be secured.

"If the education sector is well funded and youths are happy, we will not care who occupies the Aso Rock, but where we are in dilemma, there is bound to be reaction from the oppressed youngsters," she said.

Although none of the ASUU local officials were around to speak on the matter, the university's spokesman, Mr. Eddy Akpomera, who confirmed the situation, said it is purely an ASUU affair.

At UNILAG, normal academic activities as well the on-going examination on campus were paralysed.

Students were seen loitering on campus without any teacher attending to their academic needs, while lecturers just sat in their offices.

The union's chapter chairman, Dr Ayo Olowe told Daily Champion that the strike was successful in the institution, considering the level of compliance by the lecturers.

Dr Olowe who noted that the union was dragged into the current imbroglio, said government has repeatedly reneged on its promises to the association.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Education