[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Wife Beating, Husband abuse

Wife Beating, Husband abuse

Wife Beating, Husband abuse

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:11 pm

Nigerian society is male-dominated at this time.

Are women really "abused" in Nigeria? Would good old fashion submission to your husband be viewd as abuse? Also, what do you think about studies which show that abuse by women against men is on the rise?
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby bettyboop » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Yes you are right the society is male dominated but we are seeing some changes though small.

yes many women are being abused in the name of tradition, and some religion.

LOl Good old fashioned submission! well i am quite old fashioned though i am young, but i have values instilled in me from my family, from my experiences, my religion(christainity) and also my human reasoning, i say human reasoning bcos, if i did not agree with men having male roles , women having feminine roles, i probably would find it a struggle to relate with the two. I believe in submission and mutual respect for one another and it is when ppl refuse to compromise and respect each other that one experiences abuse both physical and psychological.

yes i have read some studies of abuse by women too. Due to the belief that men are macho and all butch we dont hear about many of these cases. Men as i beleive find it hard to connect with fellow men on an emotional level , hence keep such abuse secret, so as not to be seen as ''weak'' or a sissy.

All abuse is wrong and must be brought ot light and men should be encouraged to speak up too just as much as women do. then again isnt life a bitch , in the sense that is not for the level of politcal correctness and a mixing of the roles as nature intended, alot of these may not be happening. May not i say, bcos who really knows, all i say is men should be men and women should be women and stop confusing ourselves on the roles. All abuse is a disgusting and less than dignified act
bettyboop
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:47 pm

[quote="bettyboop"]
yes many women are being abused in the name of tradition, and some religion.[/quote]

And what religion is that? It can't be christianity, because there is no history of female subservience in christianity. So, I'm thinking Islam. I don't know how deep Sharia is in parts of Nigeria, but women have next to no rights under that radical religious believe.

[quote="bettyboop"]
LOl Good old fashioned submission! well i am quite old fashioned though i am young, but i have values instilled in me from my family, from my experiences, my religion(christainity) and also my human reasoning, i say human reasoning bcos, if i did not agree with men having male roles , women having feminine roles, i probably would find it a struggle to relate with the two. I believe in submission and mutual respect for one another and it is when ppl refuse to compromise and respect each other that one experiences abuse both physical and psychological.
[/quote]

Very well said.
The recipe for peace is [b]compromise[/b].

I don't agree with women wanting to compete with men, as is the case in America. The line between male and female roles has blurred to the point that there are many stay-at-home dads now. Mum goes to work and brings home the bacon, while Dad babysits the kids. This is becoming commonplace now.

[quote="bettyboop"]
yes i have read some studies of abuse by women too. Due to the belief that men are macho and all butch we dont hear about many of these cases. Men as i beleive find it hard to connect with fellow men on an emotional level , hence keep such abuse secret, so as not to be seen as ''weak'' or a sissy. [/quote]

C'mon, you can't be serious. You're telling me that a man who receives a good butt whipping from his wife, would be ashamed to mention it to his friends? LOL.

No, I'm just being facetious. Of course, you're 100% correct.

[quote="bettyboop"]
All abuse is wrong and must be brought ot light and men should be encouraged to speak up too just as much as women do. then again isnt life a bitch , in the sense that is not for the level of politcal correctness and a mixing of the roles as nature intended, alot of these may not be happening. May not i say, bcos who really knows, all i say is men should be men and women should be women and stop confusing ourselves on the roles. All abuse is a disgusting and less than dignified act[/quote]

There is a kind of abuse in the developed world today that men cannot speak up against.

In places such as America, Sweden, etc, the woman gets a bulk of the man's assets in the event of a divorce. On top of that, she gets alimony and child support if there are kids involved.

The situation is much worse in Sweden, because the woman will kick the guy out onto the street. And he has no recourse than to start over. Can you imagine going from having a home to being homeless in a matter of days?

The courts are so biased in favor of women, it's unreal. Fortunately, things haven't gotten that bad in Nigeria.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby ashily » Tue May 08, 2012 7:28 am

That's right.
ashily
Newbie@Nairaland

Return to Family