[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Female Circumcision or Mutilation?

Female Circumcision or Mutilation?

Female Circumcision or Mutilation?

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:09 pm

The practice of Female Circumcision or Mutilation in Nigeria and other parts of Africa is common. What seems to be the genesis, or believe behind this dreadful tradition?
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby alpacaem » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:55 am

Hi.
I believe it was originally done to stop women from straying - as they wouldn't enjoy sex anymore, so they wouldn't cheat on or leave their man. And I guess it's just carried on.
I think it's a horrible tradition that never should of started.
Emma
alpacaem
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby fw12 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:29 pm

Unfortunately, Africans hold too tightly onto traditions. Even when it is clear that such tradition is nonesense. One tradition that I wish Africans would do away with is elders thinking they're wiser than somebody younger. When elders are talking, younger people are expected to be quiet. Does anybody think that is a smart? What if a young person has useful ideas to contribute?

I agree with alpacaem that female circumcision is a horrible practice. I think it'll fizzle out eventually as more and more people come to realise how despicable it is.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby jakeliu » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:42 am

so they wouldn't cheat on or leave their man. And I guess it's just carried on.
I think it's a horrible tradition that never should of started.
Emma

-----------------------------------------
|
jakeliu
Newbie@Nairaland

Return to Family