[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Igbo skin tone... Why are they lighter?

Igbo skin tone... Why are they lighter?

Igbo skin tone... Why are they lighter?

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:01 pm

Why are ibo people so much more light skinned than other Nigerians?

Is it likely that Ibgos have a foreign ancestry? This really puzzles me?

If you know the genealogy of the Igbo tribe, perhaps dating back hundreds of years, or if you know any written material on this subject, please let us know.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby bettyboop » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:38 am

I wonder about his myself and i asked my father once and he was unable to give me any thing concrete. My grandmother was Igbo and all her children including my father have really fair skin and very fine texture hair, really wavy hair. I asked my grand mum once if there was any mixing in the blood line she knew of and she said no and that infact her father was also very light skinned but, his father apparently was proper dark so was my great grand mother. So i concluded that at some point in history there must have been a mix with another race and it just skipped a generation with my grandmother and her sisters, i noticed the grand children being us and some of my cousins from my grand mother's side have really light skin and very long and fine hair. I still want to research this, at some time i will go to Nigeria and try, it does make me wonder bcos especially with the hair issue, my third sister has very curly hair . well it does puzzle us but we have now put it down to maybe having foreign ancestry. I wonder,,,,,,,,,
bettyboop
Newbie@Nairaland

Postby Richard Akindele » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:59 am

Enlightening response.

One explanation I can offer about why you have proper dark skin in your family lineage is that two genes controlling dark skin came together at some point.

Every human characteristic (phenotype) is controlled by two genes. One of these genes is usually dominant and the other recessive.

So, if the gene that controls skin tone among Igbo is dominant, Igbo descendants are always going to be light skinned. However, Igbos still carry the dark skin gene, but the light skin gene masks its effect.

If two people produce an offspring, and the two dark skin genes come together, the offspring would be dark skinned.

Same explanation goes for hair texture, and other human characteristics.

However, what I don't understand is how the light skin gene came to be in the first place. A lot of American blacks are light skinned, because there is all kinds of mixing going on. Did the same kind of mixing happen among Igbo ancestors?

Maybe there was some sort of gene mutation that happened a long time ago, and such mutated gene just continued to get passed from generation to generation.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby bettyboop » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:25 pm

i'll let you know when and if i find out.
bettyboop
Newbie@Nairaland

Return to Family