[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - I'll Run In 2007 - Buhari

I'll Run In 2007 - Buhari

I'll Run In 2007 - Buhari

Postby Richard Akindele » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:24 pm

Former Head of State, retired General Muhammadu Buhari of the ANPP has joined the race for the 2007 presidential ticket. Buhari contested but lost to President Olusegun Obasanjo in the 2003 elections leading to a long-drawn litigation that ended July last year at the Supreme Court.

In a letter to Daily Trust, he said: "the purpose of this letter is to intimate you, once again, as I did four years ago, that I am making myself available as a candidate for the 2007 Presidential elections under the platform of my party, the All Nigeria People's Party, ANPP." "The conduct of that (2003) election is best forgotten as a dark period in our history. But I remain grateful to Nigerians for the tremendous and overwhelming support given to me. Then as now, the reason was my shared concern over the depressing state of governance in the country," the letter dated May 29, said.

Buhari urged all citizens to unite and surmount the challenge of bad governance which he said was the most crucial of the challenges facing the nation. He said: "Historically, there have been three broad challenges facing Nigeria: its existence as a single, indivisible political entity; democracy and social justice.

The first challenge, 'Nigeria to be or not to be' has been settled once and for all in favour of Nigeria despite the occasional picture of impending doom by harbingers of war, unguarded utterances and sensational reporting. The spirit of Nigeria has defied them all. "The second major challenge is for us all to ensure the enthronement and sustenance of democracy as a system of government.

The events of the last few weeks have clearly demonstrated that Nigerians are now more than ever before, determined to protect democracy and neither the usual aspect of divisions: region or religion-hitherto potent tools-deployed by corrupt and incompetent governments, nor intimidation or financial inducement are enough to continue the old game of divide and rule.

Our elected representatives in the National Assembly and the very vibrant press stood shoulder to shoulder to protect and defend democracy. "The third and major challenge the country is facing is the all important issue of good governance anchored on institutions and the creation of a just society.

The failure to rise up to this challenge will have the effect of undermining the two other challenges which we now take for granted. Therefore, failure to rise up to this challenge will amount to a desertion of responsibility and a betrayal of society - a society that has been good to us," he said.

Daily Trust.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

I Will Support Buhari in 2007 - Jimoh Ibrahim

Postby Richard Akindele » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:53 pm

Group Managing Director of NICON Group of companies, Barrister Jimoh Ibrahim, said in Abuja on Tuesday that former Head of State and presidential aspirant of the ANPP, retired Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, is the only credible candidate that can govern Nigeria.

He said the retired General has all the qualities that Nigeria needs in a leader, pledging to support his candidature for the presidency in 2007. Barrister Ibrahim spoke to Daily Trust in an exclusive interview in Abuja where he said he contested the gubernatorial elections in 2003 under the platform of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), because of his belief in the ideals of its flag bearer, Gen. Buhari

"I contested for governorship under ANPP because of Buhari. Why I went to ANPP is because of Buhari. Buhari is the person I believe can turn Nigeria around. So if he is still going to contest any election, nobody needs to write me any letter, he is the one I will vote for. I will support him". Barrister Ibrahim said "e verybody knows that Buhari was in my bedroom for four nights. You think I will go and deny him now? It's not possible. I can only deny Buhari in death not in life."

However, Ibrahim said the present administration has done very well. He said, "I believe in the capacity of President Olusegun Obasanjo to turn around the economy and he has done very well. But if I must select a successor to the president, you already know, my hands are tied. It's Buhari." He went ahead to explain how he took the General to his hometown in Ondo state: "He was in my home town for four nights and I took him to the water side, I drove him on water for one hour with a 36-man entourage from the north. They were with me for four days at the time when Odua were saying that Babangida and Buhari cannot come. I went and begged them. I prostrated and told them that this man must come. And in my polling booth, he won. Ibrahim's support for Buhari is coming even as he is widely seen as one of those who have benefited from the present administration through its privatisation programme.

His company, Assurance Acquisition Limited bought NICON Insurance late last year. In the same interview, he also spoke on the current state of the insurance firm which he said was being highly mismanaged when it was under government's ownership. He said premium collected in the first quarter of 2006 was N10.5billion as against the N705m collected in the first quarter of last year under the previous management. This represents a difference of about 996 percent. He said the monthly expenses of the company was also reduced to N7.5 million from the N130 million that it was under the previous management.

Monthly salaries which used to gulp N99 million has been reduced to N28million, Ibrahim said.

Daily Trust.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Politics