[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Atiku's under the spotlight as corrupt

Atiku's under the spotlight as corrupt

Atiku's under the spotlight as corrupt

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon May 29, 2006 3:26 pm

Nigeria's Vice-President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has challenged President Olusegun Obasanjo and Nigerians to show proof that he is corrupt.

He also said that he was ready to face an anti-corruption trial after leaving office in 2007.

Abubakar made the challenge in an exclusive interview with THE PUNCH and at another session with select newspapers on Tuesday, at his residence in Abuja to mark the nation’s Democracy Day.

The vice-president spoke in response to a question that implied that the widespread perception that he is corrupt could hinder his presidential ambition.

He said, "I have challenged Nigerians, including the President himself, if he has any corruption charges against me, he should bring them out. You don't just begin to label somebody corrupt when you don't have any evidence against that person. Bring it out. I will be prepared to subject myself to scrutiny, to investigation."

He dismissed allegations that he had used his position since 1999 to corner state-owned firms that had been privatised.

He added, “Which one? Which one? You have talked about AP, you said it is because it is my friend, the government has moved to take away the shares from him. So, what again?

“They have set up about five different panels on COJA, if they have got anything involving me, why is it that uptill now nobody has asked me to explain?�

Asked how he acquired his wealth and if he could account for it, Abubakar said he was prepared to do so.

He added, “I will, I have stated it (wealth) in my asset declaration form.

“I have thriving businesses. So, I earned money; I earned income from those businesses. So, is that something bad again?�

When pressured to name some of his companies, including the offshore firms, the vice-president said, “I don’t have to let you know.�

On the FBI raid and his alleged deal with Williams Jefferson, he said he had nothing to do with the US legislator.

“That has nothing to do with my wife’s NGO’s account.
“You know, he (Jefferson) used my name to get money from somebody. I don’t have any special relationship with Jefferson. I don’t have any business relationship with him; I don’t have [a] special relationship or any relationship whatsoever. For anybody to go and use my name to collect money, you must know that that man must be something else.�

He alsp denied allegations that some foreign powers were behind his ambition.
“There is no foreign power that is behind me. What will a foreign power do for you in Nigeria? Will they come to elect you? How will they even pass money to you in this era of money laundering?

Abubakar said the President could not stop his presidential ambition, saying it was wrong to create the myth of a 'moving train' around the President.

The vice-president added, "Why has the train not got third term, if you call it a train? You are the people causing it. How do you think one individual will go against the wishes of 130 million Nigerians? Ha, ha. As if it (Nigeria) is no longer democracy.

"I believe the most important factor in an election is Nigerians, not any individual."

Source : The PUNCH
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Politics