[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Igbo Leaders And Igbo Cause

Igbo Leaders And Igbo Cause

Igbo Leaders And Igbo Cause

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue May 02, 2006 5:17 pm

I am used to readers joining issues with me on the subjects of this column. It has become even more intense, and if you ask me, more interesting for both the readers and myself now that everybody have access to my phone number and e-mail. From every Tuesday, the calls, the text messages and the e-mails begin to jam my phone and mailbox. And thanks to Glo, I can now access my e-mail with my phone. This goes on till it ebbs off by Thursday. Another round begins on Friday and lasts till Sunday. And many callers have given me more information and insight about a few things, especially on the Niger Delta peace alternative, while others have offered useful corrections to factual errors. But what has raised many readers' hackles since last week Tuesday, was what I did not say in this column titled, Niger Delta: Why Didn't We Do This All Along? I have got more reactions about what I did not say than for what I said.

I got calls from all over Nigeria, from Germany, from the United States and Benin Republic from Igbos who were concerned that in endorsing the peace initiative in the Niger Delta and raising optimism for the new development initiative in the region, I did not mention that Abia and Imo States were neither included in the 50-man Council on Social and Economic Development of the Niger Delta nor in the jobs and other goodies reeled out by the Federal Government. Some called it an oversight. Others thought I forgot or did not know that Abia and Imo were not included.

It was not an oversight. I did not forget. The omission did not escape me. It was a deliberate style where, as I rightly calculated, silence became more stridently loud than words. I knew that not mentioning it would provoke more Igbos than saying it. Now that they have been provoked, I have offered one answer to all: They should take the matter to Prof Joe Irukwu and Col Joe Achuzia who claim to speak for "50 million Igbos". Irukwu and Achuzia still illegally parade themselves as Ohanaeze leaders, they wine and dine with Obasanjo, for which the two Joes want term extension for themselves. Igbos should take the matter to Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, Aha eji agamba, and chairman Ohanaeze strategic committee. They should take the issue to the Governors of the two states concerned. They should take it up with my friend Chief Ojo Maduekwe, the Secretary-General of "the largest party in Africa". They should complain to Chief Onyema Ugochukwu, Ex-Chairman of NDDC and currently Senior Special Assistant to the President; he is from Abia. They should tell their woes to Eze Festus Odimegwu, the chief Oti mkpu of Obasanjo's Third Term who flaunts the fact that he can punch some numbers on his cell phone and pronto he is genuflecting to Baba at the other end; he is from Imo. They should table the matter before the senators and representatives from the two states.

They should take this case to my friend Engr. Charlie Ugwu another third term Oti mkpu. Damn it! There are Igbos in Obasanjo's cabinet! An Igbo is the President of the Senate. If these people cannot champion Igbo cause, why should anybody think that a "troublesome" penny-per-liner like me can do so with a few drops of ink? Oh, don't tell me about the mightiness of the pen. I have heard that before. One caller was very unhappy, in fact heart broken and pleaded that I must not abandon the people this time. No, no, no. There is nothing like abandonment. I wouldn't even arrogate such to myself. For a start, I have paid my dues on the Igbo cause. I have also paid dearly for it. And I am still paying dearly for my troubles. I have been stabbed in the back by fellow Igbos. If I were to depend on Igbos, I would have since gone under. But much more important than that, I have sired and inspired younger generation of fighters I am absolutely proud of. Now I must move on. If Igbos are s atisfied with self-seeking traitors to their cause who parade themselves as their leaders, that should be their problem. If the Igbos would continue to tolerate those who sell them for less than nine pieces of silver, they should bear the consequences. The question the Igbos should ask themselves is this, why is it that those Igbos who claim they wine and dine with Obasanjo afraid to table Igbo interests before him?

I believe in the division of labour. Those Igbos elect into government or those who get into government in their name must live up to expectation of their people or be stoned by the people. This is no time for traitors masquerading as leaders of their people. This is not time for Igbo baboons to be chopping while poor journalists make powerful enemies for themselves in trying to provide direction for the people. What the Niger Delta people have just got is a product of the dogged fight of their leaders, although you may disagree with the violent method. I therefore even think it is indecent to cry now why not us? What were Joe Irukwu and Joe Achuzia doing while Chief Clark and other Ijaw leaders were fighting for their peoples' right? They were selling the South-South and South-East presidential aspiration to Obasanjo! Did Irukwu not claim that those who insist that he respects the Ohaneze constitution and respect himself were fighting him because of his friendship with Obasa njo?

Now is the time to show Igbos that his "friendship with Obasanjo" counts.

I was sick to the pit of my stomach to watch the three senators from Imo, calling a press conference in Owerri to say Imo people have mandated them to endorse another twelve years for Obasanjo. This, at the very time the case of oil producing states of the Niger Delta was being discussed. These are Igbo senators! These are the people's representatives, lying in the name of the people, thus selling their people for their own self-aggrandisement. Yet people think I should split hairs over a matter they have people whose duty it is to articulate their interests. If this is what Igbos understand as politics, then good luck to them. If they are going to continue to condone these shameless mercenaries, then I must not risk my family further for their interests. Call it an incitement if you like, until Igbos shove aside these leeches and political vampires sucking them dry, let nobody put the Igbo problem on my doorsteps! I refuse to do someone else's job! So the above people I ment ioned are those who owe Igbos an explanation why Abia and Imo were left out of the Council.

Source: Pini Jason (Vanguard).
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Politics