[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
nairaland.net • View topic - Nigeria's Next President

Nigeria's Next President

Nigeria's Next President

Postby lexdino » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:40 pm

whom do you guys think might be the next president after Yar Adua, come (before)2011 or 2015?
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:31 am

Does it really matter anymore? One failure after another.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby fw12 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:12 pm

Money is the root of all evil. Nigeria is not poor financially, yet we don't seem to be able to find our way. How do you make so much money from oil, yet be among the poorest nations.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Re: Nigeria's Next President

Postby Richard Akindele » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:22 pm

[quote="lexdino"]whom do you guys think might be the next president after Yar Adua, come (before)2011 or 2015?[/quote]

I'm sure there are a lot of honest people in Nigeria. I for instance consider myself honest. However, I'm in no position to ascend to the nation's #1 position, since I'm not politically inclined.

A long term pillaging of the treasury has taken its toll on people's psyche (Stockholm syndrome). Everybody is resigned to merely hoping that one day, a messiah would show up and deliver the people from evil.

Nigeria is a highly divided country, along many lines. Religious differences, tribal, and inter-tribal believes, etc, are some of the ills in our society.

Does Nigeria need to break up for these problems to go away? Hausas, Yorubas, Igbos do not work together. They hardly inter-marry. How do you see a nation succeeding, without the people being united?

Putting tribe aside, if Nigeria even splits up, religion would still be in the way of unity. The muslims are opposed to christians and vice versa.

Can a good president alone really unite the country? I doubt it. We're too divided to progress as a nation. Until our differences are done away with, we're going to continue to toil in the wind.

Just my opinion.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Re: Nigeria's Next President

Postby lexdino » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm

[quote="admin"]
I'm sure there are a lot of honest people in Nigeria. I for instance consider myself honest. However, I'm in no position to ascend to the nation's #1 position, since I'm not politically inclined.............
.............Nigeria is a highly divided country, along many lines. Religious differences, tribal, and inter-tribal believes, etc, are some of the ills in our society.
Does Nigeria need to break up for these problems to go away? Hausas, Yorubas, Igbos do not work together. They hardly inter-marry. How do you see a nation succeeding, without the people being united?
Putting tribe aside, if Nigeria even splits up, religion would still be in the way of unity. The muslims are opposed to christians and vice versa.
Can a good president alone really unite the country? I doubt it. We're too divided to progress as a nation. Until our differences are done away with, we're going to continue to toil in the wind.
Just my opinion.[/quote]

Yes, tribalism flows in the vein of every Nigerian and as far as i can recall, this Yar Adua's administration is practising it at its very peak.
During OBJ's Administration, there were a good number of people from other ethnicity that were appointed by the federal government but in this "Rule of North" administration, almost all the ministers and etceteras are from the North.
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

Postby lexdino » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 pm

[quote="fw12"]Money is the root of all evil. Nigeria is not poor financially, yet we don't seem to be able to find our way. How do you make so much money from oil, yet be among the poorest nations.[/quote]
:roll:
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

Postby fw12 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:37 pm

Do you have a favorite candidate?

People have very little faith in Yar-Adua. His presence is not felt at all. But who knows, maybe he's waiting for the las year in office before he unveils his grand plan.
fw12
Nairaland Junior

Postby lexdino » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:55 pm

[quote="fw12"]Do you have a favorite candidate?
.[/quote]
yeeeessss! :D
meeeeeee :roll: :lol:
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:16 pm

[quote="lexdino"][quote="fw12"]Do you have a favorite candidate?
.[/quote]
yeeeessss! :D
meeeeeee :roll: :lol:[/quote]

Jokes aside, what qualifies you to vie for the presidential post?

- Are you a problem solver?

- Are you selfless?

- Are you resolute in your views?

- Are you an extrovert/introvert?

- What is your attitude toward problems: just manage them, or get them solved come rain or sunshine?

- How do you deal with your enemies: bow down to them, or fight them tooth and nail?

- Where do you see Nigeria in the next decade, century, millennium?

- Do you think religion should be closely tied to government?

- How would you handle media that disparage you?

- How would you handle Nigeria's damaged image as it relates to 419?

- Our bane of progress has been embezzlement by public officials. How do you plan to eradicate this menace?

- Our health system is nothing to write home about. Sick leaders still fly abroad for treatment. What is your opinion about this?

- Nigeria has the capacity to produce 24/7 power supply like all advanced nations. Can you make this happen?

- Can you fix whatever it is that makes university students riot?

- Kickbacks in the award of government contracts, always makes projects cost us twice as much. Are you going to look into this bad practice.

- When some people sabotage our oil production capacity by kidnapping foreign oil workers, and bursting oil pipes, how would you discourage this?

These are just a few of the issues plaguing the nation.
I'm sure you have some thinking to do sir.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby lexdino » Sat May 02, 2009 9:14 am

[quote="admin"]Jokes aside, what qualifies you to vie for the presidential post?
- Are you a problem solver?[/quote]
Yes. and I use extreme force when dealing with inferiors

[quote="admin"]- Are you selfless?[/quote]
Yes, but as long as it does not interfere with my comfort.

[quote="admin"]- Are you resolute in your views?[/quote]
When i know what is right and worth doing, you cant stop me from doing it. No matter how you try.

[quote="admin"]- Are you an extrovert/introvert?[/quote]
Extrovert.

[quote="admin"]- What is your attitude toward problems: just manage them, or get them solved come rain or sunshine?[/quote]
Solve it If the resources are available, but in the case of limited resources, move to a smaller one that will require lesser resource to resolve for the meantime.
No managing like the one they are doing with the Niger Delta militancy issue that has led to incessant widespread kidnapping.
You can see the results as of today.
Other states have already copied and enjoying the [i]Fat Revenues[/i] gotten from kidnapping.

[quote="admin"]- How do you deal with your enemies: bow down to them, or fight them tooth and nail?[/quote]
Why will i bow? or bite and pinch? just leave them alone because no matter how hard you try they will still be there.

[quote="admin"]- Where do you see Nigeria in the next decade, century, millennium?[/quote]
I cant tell.

[quote="admin"]- Do you think religion should be closely tied to government?[/quote]
No.

[quote="admin"]- How would you handle media that disparage you?[/quote]
You use their criticism to know where you erred and do better so the best thing to do is to leave them alone, afterall is it not democracy? they are exhibiting their freedom of speech and opinion.

[quote="admin"]- How would you handle Nigeria's damaged image as it relates to 419?[/quote]Let me say that you are referring to online scamming.
According to my perception, you are a computer literate or aren't you?
Do you think a dunce who cant spell his surname correctly can scam a whiteman or anyone online?
Those smart and intelligent Nigerians who are capable of scamming(by deceit), do you think they are some kind of [i]illiterate Agberos[/i]?
You see, in this life there are two ways of earning a living:
One is by using your physical strength while the other is by using your brain, but in the event were a brain cant find a meaningful and legitimate field to be gainfully engaged, what do you expect?
So, fighting those 419ers in a country like Nigeria were Citizens have no identity and not even a fingerprint machine is available in our Police force, will lead to nowhere.
So here are my two opinions:
1) Developing and enforcing with harsh penalty a true system were every Nigerian Citizen will be recognized by the Government.
Every Nigerian whether residing in a rural or urban area must have a free Government recognized identity which should contain Names, Passport photograph, Date Of Birth, Fingerprints and all other relevant informations about the individual.
Failure to respond to this rule will result to stiff and dehumanizing penalties for the offender.
You see, with this kind of policy in place, the Government will be able to easily catch those 419s.
Take for example, if a [i]sharpman[/i] scams someone else and that person ends up sending money to the [i]sharpman[/i] through Western Union or MoneyGram or Wiring, the [i]sharpman[/i] will have to present his Government recognized identity before he can withdraw that money. If the person who sent the money later finds out that it was a scam, the person should just report the [i]sharpman's[/i] name to any Law Enforcement Agency in Nigeria.

OR
2) Create employment by all means.
The employment i'm referring to is not the one of hulling moulded blocks or loading scrabbed trucks.

This way, 419 can be combated and reduced to its barrest minimum.
But come to think of it, is it the 419s that has really dainted Nigeria's image or is it our corrupt leaders? Since we attained Democracy, has there even been any good image created by our rulers?

[quote="admin"]- Our bane of progress has been embezzlement by public officials. How do you plan to eradicate this menace?[/quote]
i don talk reach afterall i nor dey vie for presidential villa ooh! :roll:
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

reform our mind set

Postby eghosa » Sun May 03, 2009 5:00 pm

I notice times we only talk of our president as corrupt but we as a people are also to blame cos our president reflect who we are as a people and soceity, from the ordinary man to local government to state government most are the same thing. So the only solution is if the President get like say 200,000 thousand a month the avergae worker should get 140, thousand so that people wont see politics as a place to make money.
eghosa
Newbie@Nairaland

Re: reform our mind set

Postby lexdino » Fri May 08, 2009 5:44 pm

[quote="eghosa"]I notice times we only talk of our president as corrupt but we as a people are also to blame cos our president reflect who we are as a people and soceity, from the ordinary man to local government to state government most are the same thing. So the only solution is if the President get like say 200,000 thousand a month the avergae worker should get 140, thousand so that people wont see politics as a place to make money.[/quote]
I dont agree with you that our President is a reflection of whom we are though I will agree that some of us Nigerians are corrupt.
And using money or monthly income to solve the problem of corruption is not a good suggestion, it will only increase the already prevalent inflation.
lexdino
Nairaland Junior

Postby Richard Akindele » Sat May 09, 2009 6:49 am

lexdino, I agree with your stance on the presidency.

I do see a few things that could be done better for any president.

1. When you say you'd only be selfless if it does not interfere with your comfort. That is wrong. A president should always be selfless.

2. It's great that you're resolute. But don't forget that the president is just one arm of government. A president cannot simply do what he wants without the approval of the legislature.

3. I totally agree with the points you made on Niger Delta and kidnapping. First it was 419, now the world is beginning to associate kidnapping with Nigeria. These kinds of things soil our reputation, such that nobody wants to do business in Nigeria. Tourism also suffers tremendously, since nobody wants to be kidnapped.

4. Good answer on the media. Our current president went crazy, shutting down TV stations, and detaining bloggers for reporting on him. Pretty pathetic display from a president.

5. About 419, I must say it's just as bad in Russia. The only difference is that Russia scams in Online Dating.

An Australian was once scammed, and his persistent letters to the Russian president turned the issue into an International incident. Eventually, the president was forced to act. The perpetrator was caught and punished.

How was the person caught? Through the person's identity. Money was sent via Western Union, and it was just a matter of finding the person that collected the money.

Nigeria can follow in the same footsteps by making sure every Nigerian has an official ID.

I also agree with job creation as a way of discouraging people from engaging in 419.

In general, you have some wonderful ideas that go to the core of our troubles. And we need a thinker like you as president.

While what we're doing here may seem like a waste of time, you never know who is going to read it. So we need to keep talking and addressing the issues that plague Nigeria.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Politics