[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Nigerian coach goes unpaid for nine months

Nigerian coach goes unpaid for nine months

Nigerian coach goes unpaid for nine months

Postby Richard Akindele » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:28 pm

Eguavoen says he has been working under poor conditions

Nigerian coach Austin Eguavoen has revealed he has not received his salary for the last nine months.

The former international defender, who led the Super Eagles to a 2-0 win over Niger in Saturday's Nations Cup qualifier in Abuja, said his assistants have also been working without pay for the same period.

"We've already worked for nine months but we haven't been paid a penny and no one is saying anything about that," said an angry Eguavoen.

"Not only could the Nigeria FA (NFA) not pay me, but they have been making it difficult for me to work with total concentration.

"It's a pity that all we get are promises without action," he told BBC Sport on Monday.

Eguavoen, who led Nigeria to third place at the last Nations Cup finals, said the NFA should resolve his situation before opting to recruit a foreign coach.

Sports minister Bello Kao'je ordered the NFA to begin their search for a new national coach on Wednesday.

"I have no problem if the sports minister asked for a foreign coach. I am not even worried because the job is all about hiring and firing," Eguavoen claimed.

"But I am wondering if a foreign coach can put himself through all these problems that I have faced this year alone.

"Yet, people are talking about a foreign coach. If that is what they want, fine. But I doubt if a foreign manager can work without pay for just two months.

"It's not a nice situation, but if they want a foreign manager it should be done with credibility and integrity."

The NFA, which receives its funding from the sports ministry, has acknowledged the debts owed to the national team coaches.

But it is yet to come up with a plan on how to settle the arrears.

BBC
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Sports