[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Aiyegbeni Returns to Eagles

Aiyegbeni Returns to Eagles

Aiyegbeni Returns to Eagles

Postby Richard Akindele » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:17 pm

Estranged Super Eagles striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni is ready to make a return to the national team, which he shunned earlier in the year citing incompatibility with team coach, Austin Eguavoen

But 'Super Yak' as he is fondly called by Premiership fans declared yesterday, that he would make himself available for Nigeria's campaign at the 2008 Nations Cup, which will take place in Ghana and as well the 2010 World Cup in South Africa if he is available then.

"I have never said that I did not want to play anymore for Nigeria, it is my fatherland and whenever they call me if am free, I would certainly play," said Yakubu in a Brila FM interview.

The Middlesbrough player missed the 2006 Nations Cup in Cairo, Egypt despite repeated appeal by Eguavoen for him to be part of the Super Eagles. Yakubu told the Super Eagles coach that he was too busy with his club to answer the national call whereas other African players doing business in the Premiership were present in Cairo.

It was widely reported that Yakubu did not like how Eguavoen benched him during the Super Eagles world cup qualifying campaign.

In 2002 Yakubu played a prominent role in the Super Eagles World Cup qualifiers. He was also outstanding during the Nations Cup that year in Mali, but surprisingly he was dropped by coach Adegboye Onigbinde who was hurriedly drafted to the team after coach Amodu Shuaibu and his assistants, Stephen Keshi and Erico Joe were fired.

But Yakubu seems to have put all that hurt behind and ready to make a strong impact at the international level before quitting the game that brought him fame and fortune.

"Everyone of us in the Super Eagles have learnt our own lessons. I hope we give our best it was quite painful not going to the World Cup and this time we should be hungry to make sure we win all our games," Yakubu stated.

Daily Champion.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Sports