[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - Get a Free copy of Microsoft Windows and Ms. Office

Get a Free copy of Microsoft Windows and Ms. Office

Get a Free copy of Microsoft Windows and Ms. Office

Postby Richard Akindele » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:17 pm

I can't recall the last time I touched a Microsoft Windows machine. It has been years now. My memory of Windows was that of a smooth-running computer following a fresh install, but which progressively slows down as time goes by.

The slow down was inevitable, even with anti-virus, anti-spyware/adware, firewall, hosts file protection, etc. Spending so much time struggling with an Operating System qualifies as torture in my book.

I have since said hello to Linux. Linux is my 100% replacement for Microsoft Windows. Linux provides a wide range of distributions to choose from. My Desktop of choice is Ubuntu, because it is a shining star in ease of use. Do a quick search online for more information about Ubuntu Linux.

One thing that may discourage first timers from trying out Linux is that they may not have a free computer to install it on. But, I have good news for you.

With Linux you don't have to install it to run it. Linux provides what is known as [b]Live CD[/b]. You can test drive Linux by downloading a Live CD from:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

If your Internet connection is too slow for downloading large files, you can ask the Ubuntu website to send you a free CD. See https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

After downloading the Ubuntu .iso file, burn the file to CD. I hope you know how to burn .iso images to CD.

When you have burned the .iso to CD, or if you requested the free CD, pop the CD into your CD drive, and reboot the computer. It should boot into Linux.

It will first ask if you want to "Install", or if you just want to "Try it out". Choose the option to try it out. Doing so would run Linux, without installing anything to your hard drive.

Note that sometimes you need to change your boot priority inside the BIOS for the computer to boot from CD. If you don't know what I just said, don't worry. Just consult a computer person near you for information.

After successfully booting into Linux, it will run directly from CD. Nothing gets installed to your hard drive.

The top-left hand side of the screen has the menu. Click [b]Applications[/b] to see all the different programs that come with the CD.

For example,

"Applications->Office->OpenOffice.org Writer" is the equivalent of Microsoft Office.

"Applications->Graphics->Gimp Image Editor" is the equivalent of Adobe Photoshop.

"Applications->Games" of course, has different games, if you're so inclined.

"Applications->Internet->Firefox" is your web browser. If you have the computer hooked up to the Internet with a cat5 cable, you should be able to browse the Internet right away.

After you have played around with Linux, you can just shut it down, and remove the CD from the drive. Then reboot your computer back into your old Windows again.

Linux today is everything that Microsoft Windows is not. Linux is stable, secure, fast, and did I say FREE?

So, if Linux is all of these good things, why for the life of me is everybody not clamouring to use it? Well, the reason is simple - people are not aware it exists. We can change that by blowing the lid off the untold secret called Linux by spreading the word.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby xdunamis » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:52 am

I've been trying to download it to my computer on several occasions, but i couldn't due to my slow internet connection. But i think i can get a copy from a software shop. I've not tried this yet.
xdunamis
Nairaland Junior

Return to Computers