[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/viewtopic.php on line 1080: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 1273: base64_decode() has been disabled for security reasons
nairaland.net • View topic - French police switch from Windows to Linux

French police switch from Windows to Linux

French police switch from Windows to Linux

Postby Richard Akindele » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:06 am

Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby Richard Akindele » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:26 am

What Operating System is the Nigerian government using today?

It's time to switch to Linux if we're still on Windows.

Years ago, I switched from Windows to Linux. I'm totally Windows free both at home, at my job. All my desktops and servers are Linux.

I manage a network at my job, and I was finally able to convince the sceptics about making the switch. Now they're wondering why they had such apprehension about adopting Linux.

My one remaining Windows machine at work runs Winfax. However, I'm working on building Hylafax server now. Once I get that done, I can rid my network of Windows entirely.

The French Police saved 50 million euros on office applications alone.

It's time Nigeria starts switching too. Nigeria needs the savings as much as any other country.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby Richard Akindele » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:27 am

This site lists alternative free applications to those of Windows:

http://www.linuxalt.com/
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Postby xdunamis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:55 am

is linux really better than windows ? Well i'm still planning on trying it cause i've heard so much about it.
xdunamis
Nairaland Junior

Postby Richard Akindele » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:43 pm

[quote="xdunamis"]is linux really better than windows ? Well i'm still planning on trying it cause i've heard so much about it.[/quote]

I can help you get started when you're ready. It'd be the best thing that happened to you in a while.

There's a learning curve there of course, since Linux does things a bit differently than Windows. It'd be the same as somebody switching from Windows to a Mac. The person would have to learn how to use the Mac.

In general though, once you go LInux, you'd never return to Windows.
Richard Akindele
Site Admin

Return to Computers