- This RSS feed URL is deprecated This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
- Pollution Worsens Around Shell Oil Spills in Nigeria - Wall Street Journal
- Nigerian soldiers 'rescued' women, then starved and raped them, Amnesty International says - Washington Post
- Nigeria's reservation on Africa's free trade deal - BBC News
Nigeria's reservation on Africa's free trade dealBBC NewsAlmost 50 African nations signed the African Continental Free Trade Agreement in March but Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari decided not to, saying he could not agree to anything that would undermine the country's manufacturers and entrepreneurs.
- Nigeria reaffirms commitment to national, global peace - Premium Times
- DR Congo delegation storms Nigeria with 28 players - BusinessDay (satire) (press release) (blog)
- Lake Chad Basin: Crisis Overview (as of 25 May 2018) - ReliefWeb
Lake Chad Basin: Crisis Overview (as of 25 May 2018)ReliefWebCurrently, around 4 million people are food insecure across the conflict-affected regions. The figure is set to increase to almost 5 million at the height of the lean season between June and August. In Diffa north-east Nigeria, humanitarian assistance ...
- Nigeria sliding into anarchy — Wike - Premium Times
Nigeria sliding into anarchy — WikePremium TimesRivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has said Nigeria is sliding into anarchy because of the governance style of the APC-led federal government. Commissioning the newly-constructed governor's office in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State on Friday, Mr Wike urged ...and more »
- How expensive should minimum wage be in Nigeria? - BusinessDay (satire) (press release) (blog)
- 5 iconic monuments in Nigeria you should visit - Pulse Nigeria
5 iconic monuments in Nigeria you should visitPulse NigeriaEach kingdom brought their own unique blend of architectural styles, leaving behind a generous legacy of brilliant artistry. Here are some of the most splendid monuments from across the country that you must see when you visit Nigeria.
- Underdogs Nigeria eye World Cup knock-out rounds - The Punch
- AfDB Says It Backed African Countries in 2017 With U.S.$7.7 Billion [Premium Times] The African Development Bank (AfDB) said on Thursday it disbursed about $7.7 billion in 2017 towards the pursuit of programmes to effectively support African countries achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- How Nigerian, Cameroonian Soldiers Mistreated Us in Camps - Victims [Premium Times] Women who live in refugee camps after surviving Boko Haram attacks have narrated how Nigerian and Cameroonian security officials maltreated them.
- Kingsley Moghalu Picks Party for 2019 Presidential Election [Premium Times] Former deputy governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Kingsley Moghalu, has chosen to run for president next year on the platform of the Young Progressive Party (YPP).
- Bodo Community Claims Win Over Shell After UK Court Ruling [Premium Times] A British judge ruled on Thursday that Nigeria's Bodo community, which has been involved in a protracted legal battle with Shell over the clean-up of two 2008 oil spills, should retain the option of litigation for another year.
- Changing the African Narrative Through Social Media Platforms [The Conversation Africa] Social media platforms are providing Africans with an opportunity to counter negative stereotypes by giving them representational agency.
- UN to Honour Three Fallen Nigerian Peacekeepers [Premium Times] Three fallen Nigerian peacekeepers will be honoured, among others, in commemoration of the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, the United Nations (UN) has said.
- Amnesty International's Report Must Not Die - Group [This Day] Abuja -A group, Plan International, has called for a thorough investigation into the allegations of gross human rights violations levelled against the Nigerian military by Amnesty International (AI) in the conduct of their activities at the Internally Displaced Persons' camps in the North-east
- National Assembly to Send Budget 2018 to Buhari Friday - Saraki [Premium Times] The Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has said that the National Assembly will transmit the passed budget 2018 to President Muhammadu Buhari for assent tomorrow.
- 'We'll Declare Biafra's Independence On May 30' [Guardian] Enugu -The Biafra Zionists Federation (BZF) has said the Federal Government was trying to intimidate its members from carrying out their plans to declare Biafra Republic on May 30 by deploying fighter jets in the zone.
- Abuja-Lagos Flight Route Fourth Busiest in Africa [Guardian] An average of 50 minutes flight between the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, and Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA) in Lagos, has been ranked the fourth busiest aircraft route in Africa.
- We Didn't Receive a Dime From Buhari's Govt - Religion Body [Vanguard] Abeokuta -Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, has said that the Association did not receive any dime from President Muhammadu Buhari's government since he assumed office three years ago.
- Excess Crude Account Receives First Transfer Since Recession [Premium Times] The Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC) said on Wednesday that members resolved to transfer about N24.5 billion from the revenue for the month in the excess crude account (ECA) -- the first since the country's economy went into recession two years ago.
- Senator Defends Colleague's 'Underage Girl' Marriage [Premium Times] A senator, Kabir Marafa (APC, Zamfara Central) tackled his female colleagues on Thursday asking them to take the issue of insurgency more seriously.
- Take Care of Your Homes, Buratai Advises Soldiers' Wives [Leadership] Mrs Kalsum Buratai, wife of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, has advised wives of soldiers fighting in the North East to take proper care of their homes.
- Why 2019 Election Would Be Another Mess [Leadership] Except for the December 12, 1959 Nigerian Parliamentary Election, every other national election in the country has been plagued by fraud. The streak of electoral fraud runs from council elections to the presidential. The 1959 election, which ushered in self-rule, was largely satisfactory to the parties, not just because the First Republic politicians felt anything could go so long as the British departed, rather it derived hugely from the fact that it was handled by the departing colonialists, who, though
- Presidency to Critics - Check the Facts, Nigeria's Economy Growing [Leadership] The Presidency has said some people have made it a pastime to talk as if there is no silver lining in the sky as far as the Nigerian economy is concerned.
- Five Looks and Attractions of Northern Nigeria [Leadership] Many visitors have dismissed the stereotypical believe that Northern Nigeria is riddled with violence and terrorism alone. Indeed, such single story ideas are far from the truth, as northern Nigeria, in its entirety, has a lot to offer in terms of culture, festivals, tourism, rich history and beautiful sites. From beautiful palaces, to the rich Durbar festivals, the food, hospitable people and scenic sites and destinations, northern Nigeria is an adventure waiting to be explored. Here is just a tip of the
- Women Lawmakers Meet Buhari, Demand Osinbajo's Seat Come 2019 [Vanguard] Abuja -Women lawmakers in the country have pleaded with President Muhammadu Buhari to concede the slot of the Vice President to them in subsequent elections in the country.
- Reggae Musician Alleges Xenophobic Attack By Lucky Dube's Band [Leadership] For many who don't know Nigerian iconic Reggae star, Ben Priest, he has been a leading voice with the late South African reggae musician and messenger, Lucky Dube for years before his demise after he was killed by his own people on the street like a common street urchin.
- NDLEA to Curb Drug Abuse Through 'Special Raids' in FCT [Vanguard] The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), FCT command says it is poised to curb drug abuse and trafficking among youths in the territory through "Surprise Raiding Strategy" (SRS).
- IPOB Plans Total Lockdown of South East Comes May 30 [Vanguard] The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has said that there will be a total lockdown of the South East during the Biafran remembrance day on May 30, 2018.
- Unusual Empire - #BBNaija's Alex Launches YouTube Channel [Vanguard] Alex Asogwa, 3rd Runner-up BBNaija 'Double Wahala" known for her dancing and writing skills, has launched her YouTube channel "Alex Unusual Empire."
- Why No Afro-Pop Artists Can Win a Grammy - High-Life Singer [Vanguard] The recent statement by HipTV boss, Ayo Animashaun, that the Grammy Awards is not for Nigerians, has continue to generate reactions from different quarters.
- Policemen Search Home of Kingsley Kuku, Ex-Jonathan Aide [Premium Times] Armed police officers on Thursday stormed the residence of a former adviser to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan on Niger Delta affairs, Kingsley Kuku, in Arogbo, Ese-Odo Local Government Area of Ondo State.
- Health Forum Urges Govt, Johesu to End Strike [Premium Times] The Interim officials of the Nigerian Health Institutions Chairmen Forum (NHICF) have called on the federal government and the striking health workers to find a lasting solution to the ongoing strike.
- Stakeholders Canvass 40% Public Equity in New National Carrier [Guardian] Stakeholders in the air travel sector have advised the Federal Government (FG) to ensure that the Nigerian public own between 25 to 40 per cent equity of the new national carrier.
- NCAA, Lagos Government to Check High-Rises [Guardian] The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and the Lagos State Government (LASG) are partnering to curb the danger posed by unauthorised high-rise structures scattered around Lagos metropolis.
- Buhari Approves Four New Agencies' Appointments [This Day] Abuja -President Muhammadu Buhari last nigh, ratified key appointments into tour federal government agencies.
- 'Nigeria Requires Savings, Stabilisation Mechanisms' [This Day] Stakeholders who gathered Thursday in Lagos in a roundtable on "Savings and Stabilisation Mechanism for Nigeria," organised by the Shehu Musa Yar'Adua Foundation's Oil Revenue Tracking Initiative (ORTI) have concluded that Nigeria would require a saving and stabilisation mechanism to absorb crude oil price volatility.
- House Rejects Bill Seeking to Override Buhari On Establishment of Peace Corps [This Day] Abuja -The House of Representatives thursday fell short of its avowed determination to override President Muhammadu Buhari's veto of the Nigerian Peace Corps (Establishment Bill) 2017, as majority of the members overwhelmingly kicked against the move to bypass the president on the matter.
- Opportunities for SA SMEs to progress digital innovation projects South African SMEs can now achieve their business growth objectives, through an industry partnership that delivers advanced digital innovation projects, free-of-charge. Digital Skills Academy, a premier industry provider of online BSc Degree in digital skills, invites South African SMEs to register as Industry Partners. In the Industry Partner programme,...
- South Africa: MTN and Cisco Launch IoT Services MTN and Cisco has on Wednesday, 23 May 2018 announced the availability of the Cisco Jasper Control Center automated IoT connectivity platform for companies looking to provide IoT services to their customers on MTN’s mobile network throughout South Africa....
- Interview: Riccardo Spagni co-founder of a new open source blockchain South African cryptocurrency expert and lead maintainer of the Monero project Riccardo “fluffypony” Spagni has co-founded a new open source blockchain protocol named Tari. Tari is being built as a blockchain protocol for managing, transferring, and using...
- 10 tech podcasts to start listening to right now Podcasts are becoming more and more popular as a medium of entertainment. “What are podcasts,” you ask. Podcasts are a series of audio files made available online. Reminiscent of old radio, they have all the appeal of a talk show or a television...
- Fake Facebook sites account for 60% of social network phishing in early 2018 In the first quarter of 2018, Kaspersky Lab’s anti-phishing technologies prevented more than 3.7 million attempts to visit fraudulent social network pages of which 60% were fake Facebook pages. The results, according to the Kaspersky Lab report, ‘Spam and...
- Facebook launches NG_Hub in Lagos As part of its commitment and ongoing investment in Africa, Facebook today unveiled NG_Hub in Lagos, Nigeria – its first flagship community hub space in Africa, in partnership with CcHub. In a week-long celebration which will bring together developers,...
- Lenovo Yoga 720 review: A solid convertible When it comes to laptops, Lenovo always delivers the best. This is evident with the stylish Lenovo Yoga 720, an elegant, convertible 2-in-1 machine with full 360-degree smooth and reliable rotation, as well as a solid build quality. The device can switch into...
- WATCH: World’s First 100 Gbps Wireless Transmission Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation (NTT) has successfully demonstrated the world’s first 100Gbps wireless transmission, using a new technology that already surpasses the upcoming 5G standard. This is the first time OAM multiplexing has been used...
- Fintech hackathon to support South Africa’s entrepreneurs Xero, a global online accounting software has launched a national competition, to put South Africa’s growing fintech industry firmly on the map. Launched with Amazon Web Services, the virtual hackathon will enable the region’s technology entrepreneurs to...
- Drones to monitor progress of Gauteng service delivery projects The Gauteng department of infrastructure development has launched a programme using drones to monitor the progress of projects across the province. The initiative launched on Monday in Etwatwa‚ Ekurhuleni‚ demonstrated the uses of drones with the nerve...
- Supply Chain is the new weak link in business security 2017 saw a worrying increase in ransomware and other cyberattacks targeting the supply chain, with the business and professional services sector receiving a significant increase of attacks, particularly in the EMEA region, which saw 20% of all attacks...
- The future of property technology The opportunities of the internet are set to open many doors for estate agents to think outside the box when selling property. As technology continues to drive new ways for property sellers and buyers to interact, the market is slowly progressing toward a...
- Digital transformation to boost local jobs and IT sector performance A new study by data analytics firm IDC is finding that digital transformation in the era of intelligent cloud and intelligent edge will enable organisations to create new jobs, with the IT sector in South Africa expected to create as much as 119,000 net new...
- Fundi announced as Gold sponsor of Education Innovation Summit 2018 Fundi has been announced as a Gold sponsor of The Education Innovation Summit taking place in Johannesburg on 31 May 2018. Under the theme “Transforming Education With Technology” the event will feature education policy development representatives, school...
- 97 percent of Kenyans use online video service The latest study from GfK shows that 97% of Kenyan adults with Internet access are using some form of online video service, with nearly two-thirds paying to view digital online content. The international ViewScape survey covers Africa (South Africa, Kenya and...
- GirlCode empowers tech startups with AWS CloudStart program GirlCode, a non-profit organisation (NPO) that aims to empower girls through technology recently announced a partnership with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to launch a nationwide competition which will award 30 Small, Medium and Micro-sized Enterprises (SMMEs)...