- Rescued Girl Longs for Boko Haram 'Husband' [Al Jazeera] Almost a year after she was rescued from Boko Haram captivity by the Nigerian army, Zara John, 16, is still in love with one of the fighters who abducted her.
- First International Trademarks and Patents Agency Opens in Nigeria [Daily Trust] Inventa International, a company specialised in intellectual property matters, has announced the opening of its first ever office in Nigeria.
- Oil Price Fall - Govt Appeals to Oil Companies Not to Sack Workers [Daily Trust] Minister of Labour and Employmen Chris Ngige has called on the major oil companies planning to lay off workers due to the dwindling price of crude in the international market to suspend the plan.
- Health Minister Disowns Ministry's Budget [Premium Times] In what is the latest in the spate of controversies dogging President Muhammadu Buhari's 2016 budget, the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Health has disowned the budget proposal submitted on its behalf by the Ministry of Budget and National Planning.
- Nigeria Cracked Polio. So Why Does It Have 3.5 Million Unvaccinated Babies? [The Conversation Africa] Over 20 million children across the globe have not been vaccinated against measles, tetanus, rubella or polio. Half of them come from ten countries, five of which are in Africa.
- Nigeria's Most Wanted Corruption Suspect Lives in UK - Buhari [News24Wire] President Muhammadu Buhari has disclosed that one of Nigeria's biggest corruption suspects is currently residing in the United Kingdom.
- 'Criminal' Reputation Has Made You Unwelcome Abroad, Buhari Tells Nigerians [News24Wire] Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has cautioned his fellow citizens against attempting to claim asylum in Britain, saying that their "criminal" reputation has led to them not being accepted abroad.
- German President Visiting a Nigeria Faced With Serious Challenges [Deutsche Welle] When German President Joachim Gauck visits Nigeria, he will be coming to a country struggling with several issues including the impact of low oil prices. He will be meeting Nigeria's Buhari, who has his hands full.
- MTN Nigeria's Legal Battles Pile Up [News24Wire] Abu Dhabi headquartered telecoms company Etisalat is suing MTN [JSE:MTN] for the second time in under a year in Nigeria.
- 58,000 Babies Are Born With HIV/Aids Annually in Nigeria - UNAIDS [Leadership] Despite the decline in the HIV/AIDS new infection and deaths, a total of 58,000 babies are born annually with the AIDS virus in Nigeria and there are chances of only 50% survival for the babies who are in most cases not exposed to treatment.
- Rural Youth Can Be Tomorrow's Entrepreneurs [IPS] Ibadan -Bolstering widespread prosperity in Africa is a key necessity if the world is to achieve its commitments to eradicate poverty and hunger by 2030.
- Special Report - Inside the Massive Fraud in Buhari's 2016 Budget [Premium Times] On Tuesday December 22, 2015, President Muhammadu Buahri walked into a joint session of the National Assembly and presented the first annual budget proposal of his administration, ambitiously tagged: "The Budget of Change".
- The Rivers' Rerun - a Crucial Nigerian Local Election Nobody's Watching [Daily Maverick] National elections in Nigeria in March 2015 brought Muhammadu Buhari of the newly-created All Progressives' Congress (APC) to power, despite the fact that failed to win any of the oil-producing states in the Niger Delta. In these states, the the incumbent People's Democratic Party (PDP) of former President Goodluck Jonathan triumphed.What will this mean for Nigerian democracy? By FRANK CHARNAS.
- Adamawa Chief of Staff, APC Chair Exchange Punches [Daily Trust] Yola -Governor Muhammadu Jibrilla personally intervened to stop a physical fight between his Chief of Staff, Abdurrahman Abba Jimeta and the All Progressives Congress (APC) chairman in? Yola North Local area last weekend.
- Stun Guns in Place of Firearms [Daily Trust] Policemen in Nigeria may soon be armed with stun guns instead of firearms, according to Inspector General of Police Mr. Solomon Arase. He said with the use of stun guns, cases of accidental discharge and deaths would be reduced. Arase added that persons who resist arrest and behave violently can be shot at without grievous bodily harm being caused. He said, "Right now, what we are trying to do is to discourage issuing firearms to police officers who go on metro patrol. That is why we are thinking of introd
- Sitting On a Crooked Stove? [Daily Trust] As Africans we are used to cooking on stoves made up of three stones arranged in a triangle. These need to be high enough for the firewood to go under, and closely set for the earthen pot to balance on. As the air flows from different direction, providing the oxygen required, the cook can occasionally approach the pot from the least smoky direction, stirring the mixture until the food is done. The stones remain where they are in the open kitchen, for tomorrow's meals.
- Agbakoba Advocates National Arbitration Policy [Daily Trust] Lagos -A Lagos-based lawyer and rights activist, Chief Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), has called on the government to institute a national arbitration policy and a mediation centre where business related issues can be arbitrated.
- Police Begin Investigation of Three Arrested Brazil-Bound Serial Stowaways [This Day] The Area B Police Command, Apapa, of the Lagos State Police Command has begun its investigations after three Brazil-bound serial stowaways were arrested by operatives of Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Beecroft and handed over to them.
- Workers Begin Protest Against Electricity Tariff Hike [Guardian] NIGERIA Labour Congress (NLC), Trade Union Congress (TUC) and other affiliate unions are planning a protest against recent increase in electricity tariff today.
- How Not to Defend the Naira [Guardian] THE Central Bank of Nigeriaís statement of January 16, which apparently mirrors the CBN Governorís closed-door briefing of the Senate, together with the communique of the MPC meeting in January only rehashed the full-blown symptoms of Nigeriaís long festering economic disease. The apex bank, of course, should not have simply recited the stipulations of its mandate, beguile the Senate and confuse the public with self-indicting explanations as prelude to anticlimactic repetition of past
- NBS Predicts Inflation Will Rise to 10.16 Percent By Year End [This Day] Kaduna, Abuja and Kano -Inflation may further rise to 10.16 percent by year end and then ease to 9.01 percent over the period of 2017 to 2019, the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has said.
- Rethinking Governance and the Corruption War [Guardian] With the report the other day that about 55 persons looted N1.3 trillion in seven years, it is becoming clear that Nigerians, indifferent as they seem, to that report, are immune to the financially obscene and sensational. Nothing, after all, could have been more sensational at this period of a belt-tightening economy. Yet, there was no uprising, no industrial action; there were no outrages beyond commentaries in the mass media. This perceptible national feeling of indifference is sobering much as it shoul
- Chibok Girls May Never Be Found [This Day] Osogbo -Amid a general mood of cautious optimism about a successful resolution of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnap saga, former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said that the girls may never be found. Obasanjo said this on Friday night at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Staff Club, during an interview with journalists.
- Dasuki Loses in Court, Key Application Dismissed [Premium Times] A Federal Capital Territory High Court on Monday dismissed the application of counsel to the former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, seeking a stay of proceeding.
- Saraki May Be Going Through Corruption Trial, but We Love Him - Senate [Premium Times] The Nigerian Senate has rejected calls for the resignation of its president, Bukola Saraki, following Supreme Court ruling that upheld his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal.
- EFCC Slams Charges On Nigerian Senior Lawyer, Ricky Tarfa, 'For Obstruction of Justice' [Premium Times] The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is set to arraign a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, Ricky Tarfa, on a two- count charge bordering on obstruction of justice and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
- PDP Shifts NEC Meeting, New Chairman to Emerge Next Week [Premium Times] Nigeria's main opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, has again shifted the meetings of its national organs that would lead to the emergence of a new national chairman of the party to next week.
- 58,000 Babies Born With HIV Annually in Nigeria - United Nations [Independent (Lagos)] The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS has stated that about 58,000 babies are born HIV/AIDS positive yearly in Nigeria.
- Govt Admits Budget Imperfections, Welcomes Criticism [News24Wire] The Nigerian presidency has admitted to imperfections in its 2016 national budget proposal, saying that "well-meaning criticism" was welcomed from the public, local newspaper Premium Times has reported.
- Oliseh's Days 'Re Numbered - NFF Top Shot [Vanguard] Super Eagles Chief Coach, Sunday Ogochukwu Oliseh's days with the senior national team may be numbered if the words of an enraged top shot of the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF are anything to go by.
- Photos: Nigerian Actress Omotola Jalade Ekeinde Treated To A Surprise Birthday Dinner In Ghana
- Miss Earth Nigeria Fraud: Ibinabo Fiberesima Ordered To Pay N10Million Fine To Munachi Uzoma
- Pete Edochie Not Giving Out Anniversary Gift, Beware Of Scammers
- Nollywood Yoruba Actor Arakangudu Is Dead: Sikiru Adesina Dies Of Heart Attack In Kaduna
- Nollywood Actress Georgia Onuoha Slams Another Female Fan Over Ex-Husband
- Photos: Omotola Jalade Thanks Fans As She Marks 38th Birthday In Accra Ghana
- Julie Odia’s Pre-Wedding Party: Uche Jombo Hosts Wow Magazine Publisher At Ini Edo’s Night Club
- See Toyin Aimakhu’s Epic Reply To Fan Who Called Her A Prostitute
- Idowu Phillips Iya Rainbow Develops Hypertension Over Daughter’s Death, Rushed To UK For Treatment
- Wife For Rent Nollywood Movie: Mimi Orjiekwe, Seun Akindele, Bolanle Ninalowo Filming In Lekki
- Fathia Balogun Gains Admission To OOU, Actress Studying Theatre Arts @Olabisi Onabanjo University
- Olumide Bakare Lied About Sickness & N7 Million Hospital Bills To Get Money – UCH Ibadan Staff
- Photos: Rita Dominic & Others Storm Palms Shopping Mall Lekki Lagos As 76 Nigerian Movie Premieres
- Photos: Mazi Nnamdi Kanu In Handcuffs Today… IPOB Leader Stops Warders From Removing Handcuffs
- Nigerian Pastor Emmanuel Okwedimbu Arrested For Threatening To Kill Church Member
- Lowo Oyediran’s ‘Father’ Dies Of Heart Attack: Pa Yahaya Ajanaku Dies In Gbongan
- NG Loses Nephew…RIP Adeola Alabi
- Tragedy: 33 Migrants Killed After 2 Boats Capsized From Turkey To Greece
- Ibadan Killer Wife, Yewande Fatoki Can’t Get Away With Lowo Oyediran’s Murder – Oyo Police
- Photo: APC Chieftain Rotimi Pedro Battling Stroke, Abandoned By Wife Needs Help
- 2 Ritual Killers Behead Man In Osun State; Suspects Arrested By Police In Iwo Town
- Photos: 30 Killed In Fatal Accident On Lagos Ibadan Expressway, 79 Injured In Sepo
- Photos: Confusion As SS3 Students Beat Up OSBC & Orisun FM Station Staff In Ile Ife
- Arepo Pipeline Bomb Attack: 5 Navy Officers Killed By Vandals In Ogun State, 3 Bodies Recovered
- REVEALED: Yewande Oyediran, Ibadan Husband Killer Is Kayode Fayemi’s Niece
- Photo: Nigerian Soldier Arrested For Robbery At Abuja Filling Station
- MTN fine: Government sets conditions for talks The government of Nigeria has called on MTN to make a down payment as a “show of good faith” before the teleco’s proposal for an out of court settlement will be considered, this according to a report in Nigeria Communications Week. Mr. Adebayo Shittu, Minister of Communication, said in Lagos that the federal government will not reenter [&hellip...
- Adwind malware hits over 400000 users Kaspersky Lab’s Global Research and Analysis Team has published extensive research on the Adwind Remote Access Tool (RAT), a cross-platform, multifunctional malware programme also known as AlienSpy, Frutas, Unrecom, Sockrat, JSocket and jRat, and which is...
- Mobile operators accused of ripping off musicians Artists in South Africa have accused local mobile operators Vodacom and MTN of violating copyright laws. According to a report in The City Press, popular musicians DJ Cleo and Flavour N’abania have requested for sales data from MTN, Content Connect...
- What are the capabilities of 5G? At the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Nokia is showing how 5G applications run on its network infrastructure as operators explore the new business opportunities of an increasingly connected world. These demonstrations, including eight from Bell Labs,...
- Nigeria: Etisalat locks horns with MTN over Visafone buy Etisalat has raised objections to MTN’s recently-concluded purchase of Visafone Nigeria and has called on the regulator ,the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), to reverse its approval of the deal. According to a report in The Guardian,...
- Jovago secures 75m EUR investment Jovago.com, a leading hotel booking website, and Insurance provider Axa, announced today a partnership to develop the expansion of Jovago and a new round of funding to boost its activities in Africa. This would further ensure the expansion of the business to...
- Nigeria: 16 million visit Facebook on mobile monthly Facebook announced 16 million people in Nigeria visit Facebook every month with 100% of them coming on mobile. Each day, 7.2 million people visit Facebook with 7 million on mobile. This announcement comes on with Friends Day (4 February), or Facebook’s 12th...
- Kenya: Interswitch to launch new fraud control systems Interswitch East Africa- has today announced plans to introduce two advanced fraud control systems in Kenya known as Card Control and Scorebridge intended to further enhance fraud security for cardholders and financial institutions. The card based fraud...
- Lamudi secures $31.4m investment Real estate portal Lamudi, was launched in October 2013 by German Internet platform Rocket Internet. The company operates exclusively in the emerging markets and is currently active in thirty five locations across Asia, Africa and Latin America. In February...
- Managing the cost and the risk of change Speed of reaction to market needs is becoming crucial to competitiveness, but gaining speed means managing the cost and the risk of change The basic rules of successful business engagement haven’t changed much since early man discovered the benefits of...
- Konga.com and mi-Fone launch Mi-Tribe In pursuit of its goal to constantly add value to the lives of customers, Konga.com has partnered with mi-Fone to launch the mi-Tribe series of mobile devices. mi-Fone founder and CEO Alpesh Patel said “The mi-Tribe offering is made exclusively for the...
- Liquid Telecom Kenya announces completion of Nairobi network Internet provider Liquid Telecom Kenya today unveiled an intensive last mile strategy for 2016 as it announced the completion of its new Nairobi Metro network, built as part of its Sh20.3bn Internet infrastructure investment programme in Kenya. According to...
- AG Mobile launches in Nigeria African mobile technology brand AG Mobile has launched in Nigeria. Recognised as one of the continent’s first ODM (original design manufacturer), it was the first South African brand to release its own mobile device in 2007. This is the ninth African...
- South Africa: Online travel agency lands $40m investment Amadeus, the global technology investor, today announced a $40m investment in Travelstart in partnership with MTN, Africa’s leading mobile and digital life services operator. Travelstart is the leading online travel agency in Africa, and has built a market...
- Challenges to Building a Future-Oriented Network To keep pace with evolving customer needs, companies are adopting cloud, big data analytics, Internet of Things (IoT) and mobility to drive business efficiency and performance. However, as they move to these new IT models, many companies are challenged with...
- What are the barriers to Bitcoin adoption in South Africa? Amid the current global economic turmoil the largely misunderstood and somewhat maligned cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, has come into the spotlight as a realistic foil for existing payment methods. While the Bitcoin debate rages, fuelled by the emergence of the...