PDP-attacks-Soludo,-says-ex-CBN-gov-confused">January 26, 2015 by Chukwudi Akasike, Port Harcourt
- Jonathan’s team trapped in Maiduguri •As troops launch air, land attack on Boko Haram
- Non-violent election: US Secretary of State, Kerry, meets Jonathan, Buhari
- Why Nigerians don’t know about my achievements —Jonathan
- Return presidency’s $1.2m, Oyo APC tells Ladoja
- INEC rejects gov nominations in Oyo, Ogun, Delta, 4 others
- Jonathan’s team trapped in Maiduguri •As troops launch air, land attack on Boko Haram
- Non-violent election: US Secretary of State, Kerry, meets Jonathan, Buhari
- Why Nigerians don’t know about my achievements —Jonathan
- Return presidency’s $1.2m, Oyo APC tells Ladoja
- Probe Buhari over certificate, senior lawyers task IGP
- Boko Haram will be flushed out soon
- Maku has betrayed Jonathan —Mark
- Rivers APC governorship campaign venue bombed
- APC leaders, Ajimobi offered me gov ticket —Ladoja
- IGP orders clampdown on political thugs
- No going back on February polls, Jega insists
- Kerry in Nigeria to warn against postelection violence LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — In a rare high-level visit to Africa's most populous country, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday urged Nigeria's leading presidential candidates to refrain from fomenting violence after next month's vote, and he condemned savage attacks by Boko Haram, an al-Qaida-linked insurgency.
- Kerry heads to Nigeria amid tensions over polls, Boko Haram US Secretary of State John Kerry was due in Nigeria Sunday, just weeks away from closely fought elections overshadowed by fears about mounting Boko Haram violence and poll-related unrest. Kerry announced the trip on Friday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he spoke at length on the threat to the world from Islamist extremist groups, including Boko Haram. Instead, Kerry was ...
- Nigeria's Forcados oil pipeline resumes after one-week shutdown By Julia Payne ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria resumed operations on its Trans Forcados oil pipeline, a senior oil official said on Monday, bringing back on stream part of the network whose closure also led to a near halving of the country's gas production. The pipeline, which had been shut for a week due to sabotage, resumed on Saturday afternoon, David Ige, executive director of gas and power at ...
- Stable Elections in Nigeria Threatened by Boko Haram’s Latest Attacks Nigerian militants laid siege to military bases in the northern capital of Maiduguri on Sunday, raising questions about the army’s ability to combat the insurgency
- Boko Haram wages new Nigeria attacks as Kerry visits Boko Haram fighters on Sunday overran a strategic town in northeastern Nigeria and seized a military base, as Secretary of State John Kerry pledged further US support against the militants. The Islamists captured the town of Monguno in Borno State, which lies about 125 kilometres (80 miles) north of the state capital Maiduguri, which was targeted in a simultaneous dawn raid. "Monguno has fallen ...
- Nigeria repels suspected Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri city By Lanre Ola and Ardo Abullah MAIDUGURI/BAUCHI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Nigeria's military repelled multiple attacks by suspected Boko Haram militants on Borno state capital Maiduguri in the northeast, security sources said on Sunday, but the insurgents captured another Borno town. The assault on Maiduguri, with a population of around two million, began just after midnight. A raid on Monguno, 140 km ...
- Nigeria naira closes at record low, despite intervention Nigeria's naira ended at a record closing low on Monday, despite central bank intervention, as the currency continued to weaken on strong demand for the greenback, dealers said. One dealer traded the naira at a one-off rate of 194.10 during mid-day session. The currency had initially gained 1.66 percent to 186.80 naira after the central bank and two oil companies sold dollars to lift the naira ...
- Nigeria considers possible 'troop surge' to fight Boko Haram Nigeria has announced it may bring home its soldiers deployed abroad to help fight the Islamist militant group Boko Haram, a move that could have significant security implications across Africa. “There is a need for a ‘troops’ surge’ in operational areas, which may require recalling Nigerian troops from peace missions abroad to enhance the operational capabilities of the Nigerian army,” Mike ...
- Nigeria naira nears record intraday low against dollar Nigeria's naira traded near a record intraday low on Monday as demand for the greenback met with thin liquidity, dealers said. A dealer traded the naira at a one-off rate of 194.10 to the dollar before the unit settled at 191.35 naira at 1118 GMT, close to a record intraday low of 191.97 it hit last week. The naira has been hitting record lows as dollar liquidity on the interbank forex market ...
- Easy Taxi calms Nigeria's kidnapping fears By Tim Cocks LAGOS (Reuters) - In Nigeria, one of the world's worst countries for kidnapping, getting in the wrong cab could end up costing you or your family a lot more than the agreed taxi fare. Many people have a "taxi guy" whom they trust to avoid this risk. It was a clear gap in the market for Easy Taxi, which like Silicon Valley's Uber uses a smartphone app and GPS technology to provide ...
- Army Fails to Act on Intelligence on Attack [Premium Times]The Nigerian military received reliable intelligence report indicating that the Boko Haram sect would launch a massive attack on Monguno, yet troops were taken by surprise when the insurgents struck early Sunday, suggesting the 5 Brigade stationed in the area failed to prepare adequately for the group's onslaught.
- AU Summit - the Men in Hats With Their Backs Against the Wall [ISS]As African leaders meet this week for their bi-annual African Union (AU) summit in Addis Ababa, the world will be watching to see whether the continent is united and pro-active in solving its own problems.
- Kerry 'Impressed' After Jonathan, Buhari Meetings [Premium Times]The U.S. government has advised Nigerian politicians to work towards ensuring a peaceful and violence-free February general elections.
- Inside Nigeria's House Servant Racket [IWPR]Problem of young domestic workers and middlemen stealing from clients has become widespread.
- Central Bank Unveils New Anti-Electronic Fraud Strategy [Guardian]THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) may have raved up its anti-electronic fraud campaign with the emergence of a two-factor authentication for internal banking.
- President Meets Freed German Hostage [Cameroon Tribune]Nitsch Eberhard Robert was received in audience at the State House Saturday, January 24, 2015.
- 2015 Elections - It Is an Easy Choice Before Nigerians [Fahamu]It matters pretty little who wins the elections next month. Years of political brinkmanship, reprehensible military dictatorship, corruption and irresponsible leadership have served to make nonsense of the true meaning of nationhood in Nigeria. The struggle for fundamental change must continue.
- Nigeria, Canada Kick Against Child Marriage [Guardian]Abuja -IN furtherance of Canada's programme on the eradication of child, early and forced marriage all over the world, the High Commission of Canada in Nigeria has kicked off a campaign to end the menace in Nigeria, especially in northern part of the country, where the case of early marriage is more prevalent and girl education is at its minimum.
- Jonathan - We'll Conquer Boko Haram, Rebuild Destroyed Communities [This Day]Maiduguri, Ado-Ekiti, Sokoto and Abuja -Buhari opposes poll postponement
- Hundreds of Thousands of Civilians At Grave Risk [AI London]A failure to protect hundreds of thousands of civilians could lead to a disastrous humanitarian crisis said Amnesty International with reports of two large scale attacks in Nigeria on the major north-eastern city of Maiduguri as well as the nearby town of Monguno.
- Ex-Nigeria Coach, Musa Abdullahi, Dies of Stroke [Premium Times]A former Flying Eagles Coach, Musa Abdullahi, died on Sunday in Lokoja, Kogi State, after being down with stroke for over seven years.
- Reduction in PMs Pump Price [Independent (Lagos)]The Federal Government last week announced a reduction of the pump price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), otherwise called petrol from N97.00 to N87.00 per litre. The reduction, which was announced by the Minister of Petroleum Resources Mrs Diezani Alison-Madueke, was meant to take immediate effect. She also directed the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) to ensure that marketers adjust to the new price regime. The reduction came as a response to the falling price of crude oil, which has be
- Rigging - PVC, Card Reader to Rescue? [Vanguard]THERE are no easy answers to how the coming elections would be free and fair. The experiments the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has been conducting since the 2011 elections are continuing. Issues are assuming complications that should not be round major elections within weeks of their conduct.
- Boko Haram Frees Scores of Women in Yobe State [Cameroon Tribune]Some 192 people were released over the weekend as fierce fighting was reported in Maiduguri on January 25, 2015.
- Cambridge University - Hausa Language Not Offered in 1961 Exams [This Day]Abuja -The controversy over the secondary school results of the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, continues as the University of Cambridge has said that Hausa Language, which is one of the subjects listed by Buhari, was not offered in its examinations in 1961.
- PDP, APC Presidential Candidates Pledge to Build New Nigeria [Guardian]Abuja, Ado-Ekiti and Maiduguri -President Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, at separate campaign rally, yesterday, pledged to build a new Nigeria if they win next month's election.
- UN Agency Delivers Food to Thousands of Refugees On Nigeria-Chad Border [UN News]With a "tense and highly volatile" situation in North-Eastern Nigeria at the Chadian Lac border, United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) announced today that it has begun distributing food to thousands of refugees who have recently been displaced by the region's escalating violence and urged that it needed some $11 million to continue to meet those needs.
- Zanzibar to Employ 36 Science Teachers From Nigeria [Daily News]Zanzibar -IN efforts to improve quality of Mathematics and Science education in schools, Zanzibar is expecting to employ more 36 teachers from Nigeria, the deputy minister for Education and Vocational Training, Ms Zahra Ali Hamad, has said.
- Our Stand - Don't Mess With February 14 Date [Leadership]Just 19 days to the commencement of the 2015 general elections, calls for their postponement have become more strident. Coteries of voices are converging, once more, on a road to damnation. And Nigeria democracy is, yet again, being attacked at the roots.
- Boko Haram Frees Mostly Women Hostages [Deutsche Welle]Boko Haram has set free the majority of over 200 women and children kidnapped in a raid earlier this month. They were allegedly released for refusing to cooperate with the terrorists.
- Trans-Forcados Pipelines Attacked Four Times This Year [Independent (Lagos)]Abuja -The Trans-Forcados pipelines which carries crude oil from production facilities to export terminals in Forcados has been attacked four times by vandals and oil thieves, since the beginning of this year alone.
- Sexual Harassment: Mixed Reactions Trail Female Entertainers' Stories [Leadership]In every industry, there are situations whereby the players have a thing going for them either mutually or under compulsion and it's no different in the Nigerian entertainment industry. ANTHONY ADA ABRAHAM , PATIENCE IVIE IHEJIRIKA and ADERIBIGBE TOLULOPE write
- Mark Condemns Attack On Jonathan, PDP Convoy [Vanguard]Abuja -Senate President, Senator David Mark has condemned the consistent attacks on President Goodluck Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) campaign train describing the actions of the perpetrators as despicable.
- Grace to Grass - Artists in Limbo [Leadership]In this report SAMUEL ABULUDE and OBIANUJU ASIKA write on personalities in the entertainment industry whose stories are of grace to grass.
- Baga & Paris - Two Massacres, Contrasting Responses and Consequences [Fahamu]Given Nigeria's past and recurring history, does one realistically expect this state to defend Baga from Boko Haram, comment or mourn the murder of the 2000 from Baga - almost 49 years to the day after it embarked on the murder of 3.1 million of its Igbo population in a studiously-organised genocide that is still ongoing?
- Poor Men Have No Place in My Heart - Bose Oladimeji [Vanguard]Bose Oladimeji is beginning to get all the attention in the Yoruba film industry, for both her talent and good looks. But Bose, from Kwara State and an English graduate of Tai Solarin University of Education, Ogun State is burning with desire to do things most of her colleagues wouldn't dare even though she wouldn't cross the Rubicon of going nude.
- APC, Apga Ask INEC to Stop Multiple Candidates [Independent (Lagos)]Awka -The All Progressives Congress (APC), Anambra State chapter and rival, All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) have urged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to warn members of the ruling party who whose names were not in its list to stop parading themselves as candidates for the election.
- Rotary Releases U.S.$8.1 Million to End Polio in Nigeria [Independent (Lagos)]Lagos -As Nigeria marks six months without a new case of polio, Rotary International has announced $8.1million in grants to help the country in its final push to eradicate the disease within its borders.
- Of Ex-Generals, Defections, Forces Against PDP in Niger [Independent (Lagos)]Minna -Ahead of the February general elections, political calculations in Niger State may have been altered by recent developments, which have thrown up a new dimension to the politics of the state. The state has a history of having heavyweights taking last minute decisions in favour of particular candidates and political parties.
- PDP Chief Drums Support for Jonathan, Ihedioha [Independent (Lagos)]Owerri -Ahead of the forthcoming elections, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chinedu Chukwuenye, has advised the Imo electorate to identify with the re-election of President Goodluck Jonathan for a better tomorrow.
- Taiwo Hassan Ogogo’s Secret Son Exposed, Nigerian Actor Fathers Love Child Out Of Wedlock
- Photos: Nigerian Actor OC Ukeje’s Canadian Wife Ibukun Togonu Flaunts Sexy Legs On Red Carpet
- Muna Obiekwe To Be Buried In Anambra State, Candle Light Vigil Holds In Surulere Lagos
- Nollywood Acting Auditions 2015: Iyabo Ojo Looking For Aspiring Actresses/ Actors
- Photos: Fred Amata, Funke & Femi Kuti At Female Drummer Ara’s 40th Birthday
- Toyin Aimakhu Confirms Marriage Problem, Husband Still Lives Separately
- Yoruba Actor Taiwo Hassan Ogogo Oba Esa Musical Album Launches Today In Ikeja Lagos
- Photos: Nollywood Actor Victor Osuagwu Made Chief In Mbaise Imo State By Udo Abia Eze Ukeje
- Lola Idije, Wunmi Yetunde, Iya Awero, Tunde Owokoniran Dazzle In New Photoshoot
- Kunle Afolayan Pictured Making Daughter’s Hair
- Photos: Ronke Oshodi Oke, Moji Olaiya, Foluke Daramola, Rally For APC In Badagry Lagos
- Foluke Daramola’s Husband Supports APC’s Ambode Says PDP’s Agbaje Will Mess Up Lagos
- In Pictures: Jide Kosoko, Soji Omobanke, Fathia Join Buhari, APC Change Group
- Pictures Of Ekiti State University, EKSU Students Attacked By Police During Riot
- Hired PDP Thugs Attack APC Members Staging Rally In Alimosho Lagos
- Photos: Oluwaropo Tifase, Cultist Who Killed Father In Lagos Castrates Self In Police Custody
- Nigerian Couple Arrested For Leading Robbery Gang To Attack Araromi Estate Ogun State
- Photos: 5-Year-Old British Nigerian Boy Deported With Mother, Bola Fatumbi From London UK
- Photos: Mother Of Nigerian Baby Thrown Into Lagos Lagoon By Navy Officer Father Cries Out For Justice
- “Jonathan Must Win Or There’ll Be War” – Niger Delta Thugs Join Asari Dokubo To Threaten Nigerians
- Container Fell On Buses In Ketu Lagos Bus Stop, Fatal Road Accident Killed 4
- Gombe Governor Dankwambo Convoy In Fatal Car Accident, 14 Killed In Bauchi
- Alaba Market Trader Arrested For Robbery Warns Nigerians “Never Envy The Riches Of The Wicked”
- Jonathan’s Convoy Stoned, Posters Destroyed In Bauchi, 6 DSS Security Officers Guarding GEJ Injured
- Photos: 5 Nigerian Policemen Arrested In Lagos For Taking N150K Bribe From Fraudster
- Armed Robbers Attack FourSquare Gospel Church, Steal N6M In Ibara Abeokuta, Dimeji Bankole’s Aide Arrested
- Aliyu cautions politicians against violence, IFES, EU partner on peaceful polls • Group seeks justice over dead party supporter NIGER State Governor, Dr. Mu’azu Babangida [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:37]
- APC, PDP bicker over destruction of campaign posters, banners in Lagos State THE People’s Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in Lagos State, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:58]
- PDP leaders mobilise support for Jonathan, Folarin in Oyo • ‘Buhari will banish freedom of speech, re-enact Decree 4’ MINISTER of State for Federal Capital [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:52]
- Ambode pledges more inner roads in Mushin ALL Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate in Lagos, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode has promised [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:31]
- Makinde pledges aid for Ibadan fire disaster victims GOVERNORSHIP candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Oyo state, Seyi Makinde Monday [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:48]
- Abuja lawyer prays court to disqualify Buhari over certificate • APGA faction adopts Jonathan, Ihedioha • Rep canvasses support for Buhari THE controversy [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:24]
- Agric minister urges speedy passage of GES bill MINISTER of Agriculture and Rural Development, Dr. Akinwumi Adesina has called on the National [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:42]
- WFP needs $11m to tackle looming food crisis in NEast, NEMA creates new camps for 6, 567 IDPs THE World Food Programme (WFP) said Monday that it requires $11 million to tackle the looming food [Monday, 26 January 2015 21:40]
- How former Golden Eaglets coach, Musa Abdullahi, died A FORMER Golden Eaglets coach, Musa Abdulahi, is dead. Aged 61, Abdulahi died of malaria-related [Monday, 26 January 2015 14:22]
The governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress in Rivers State, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, has accused his main opponent in the Peoples Democratic Party, Chief Nyeson Wike, of cloning his blueprint for the development of the state. Peterside, who threatened legal action against Wike and the PDP, insisted that the blueprint, unveiled by Wike on… [Read More…]
PDP attacks Soludo, says ex-CBN gov confused The Peoples Democratic Party Presidential Campaign Organisation has described a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Prof. Charles Soludo, as being confused and conflicted. It also said Soludo had lost touch with reality. Director of Media and Publicity of the campaign organisation, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, stated this while reacting to Soludo’s criticism of 1-Comment-
The-governorship-candidate-of-the-All-Progressives-Congress-in-Rivers-State,-Dr.-Dakuku-Peterside,-has-said-his-administration-will-achieve-an-era-of-zero-crime-if-voted-as-the-governor-of-the-state-in-February.-Peterside,-who-spoke-in-Port-Harcourt-on-Monday-while-unfolding-his-blueprint-for-the-growth-of-the-state-should-he… [Read-More…]-NAFDAC-seizes-five-containers-of-fake-aphrodisiacs">January 26, 2015 by Chukwudi Akasike, Port Harcourt
The governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress in Rivers State, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, has said his administration will achieve an era of zero crime if voted as the governor of the state in February. Peterside, who spoke in Port Harcourt on Monday while unfolding his blueprint for the growth of the state should he… [Read More…]
NAFDAC seizes five containers of fake aphrodisiacs The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control has seized five containers of counterfeit aphrodisiacs, known as Heragra and Ziagra. The Director General of the agency, Dr. Paul Orhii, who spoke at a briefing, where the drug fakers were paraded in Lagos on Monday, stated that NAFDAC officials intercepted another container of fake 16-Comments-
Chairman-of-Independent-National-Electoral-Commission,-Prof.-Attahiru-Jega,-has-asked-all-the-37-Resident-Electoral-Commissioners-in-the-country-to-remain-focused-ahead-of-the-general-elections.-Jega,-who-spoke-while-addressing-the-RECs-in-Abuja-on-Monday,-said-it-was-unfortunate-that-politicians-were-dragging-the-commission-into-their-campaigns.-He-also-told… [Read-More…]-Patience-Jonathan-jealous-of-Dickson’s-achievements--Ex-minister">January 26, 2015 by Olusola Fabiyi, Abuja
Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Attahiru Jega, has asked all the 37 Resident Electoral Commissioners in the country to remain focused ahead of the general elections. Jega, who spoke while addressing the RECs in Abuja on Monday, said it was unfortunate that politicians were dragging the commission into their campaigns. He also told… [Read More…]
Patience Jonathan jealous of Dickson’s achievements -Ex-minister An ex-Minister of Petroleum Resources, Chief Dan Etete, has cautioned the wife of President Goodluck Jonathan, Dame Patience Jonathan, to stop interfering in the internal politics of Bayelsa State. Etete accused the First Lady of being “jealous” of the “exceptional performance” of Governor Seriake Dickson, and promised to lead the fight to stop her from 5-Comments-
The-governorship-candidate-of-the-Peoples-Democratic-Party-in-Rivers-State,-Chief-Nyesom-Wike,-has-promised-to-recover-assets-belonging-to-the-state-that-were-sold-by-the-Governor-Rotimi-Amaechi-administration-if-he-wins-the-governorship-poll-in-February.-Wike,-who-made-this-promise-in-Port-Harcourt-on-Monday,-while-unveiling-his-blueprint-for… [Read-More…]-NCC-fails-to-justify-APC’s-fundraising-platform-shutdown">January 26, 2015 by Chukwudi Akasike, Port Harcourt
The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in Rivers State, Chief Nyesom Wike, has promised to recover assets belonging to the state that were sold by the Governor Rotimi Amaechi administration if he wins the governorship poll in February. Wike, who made this promise in Port Harcourt on Monday, while unveiling his blueprint for… [Read More…]
NCC fails to justify APC’s fundraising platform shutdown The Nigerian Communications Commission has said the All Progressives Congress SMS-based platform for fundraising was shut down because the platform did not conform with laid down rules of the regulatory agency. Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Dr. Eugene Juwah, said this in an interview with journalists on the sideline of the 3rd African Preparatory Meeting 11-Comments-
After-a-24-hour-harrowing-experience-in-Maiduguri,-members-of-President-Goodluck-Jonathan’s-advance-team-who-were-trapped-in-the-Borno-State-capital-arrived-Abuja-on-Monday.-The-team-which-comprised-representatives-of-the-media,-medical-and-security-units-of-the-Presidential-Villa,-Abuja,-were-caught-up-in-the-confusion-that-followed-an-attempt-by-members… [Read-More…]-Change-is-inevitable-in-Kaduna,-says-el-Rufai">January 26, 2015 by Olalekan Adetayo
After a 24-hour harrowing experience in Maiduguri, members of President Goodluck Jonathan’s advance team who were trapped in the Borno State capital arrived Abuja on Monday. The team which comprised representatives of the media, medical and security units of the Presidential Villa, Abuja, were caught up in the confusion that followed an attempt by members… [Read More…]
Change is inevitable in Kaduna, says el-Rufai The All Progressives Congress governorship candidate in Kaduna State, Malam Nasir el-Rufai, said on Monday that with God on his side, change was inevitable in the state in February. El-Rufai stated this in Zaria as he continued his governorship campaign in the state. The APC candidate was warmly received by thousands of supporters at the 41-Comments-
The-Federal-Capital-Territory-Minister,-Senator-Bala-Mohammed,-has-described-Bauchi-State-Governor,-Isa-Yuguda-as-an-All-Progressives-Congress-mole-in-the-Peoples-Democratic-Party.-Mohammed-who-denied-masterminding-the-attack-on-President-Goodluck-Jonathan’s-convoy-in-Bauchi-by-political-thugs-on-January-22,-2015,-described-Yuguda’s-allegation-against-him-as-irrational.-The-governor… [Read-More…]-Police-deploy-4,282-officers-for-Jonathan’s-Ondo-rally">January 26, 2015 by Adelani Adepegba Abuja
The Federal Capital Territory Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed, has described Bauchi State Governor, Isa Yuguda as an All Progressives Congress mole in the Peoples Democratic Party. Mohammed who denied masterminding the attack on President Goodluck Jonathan’s convoy in Bauchi by political thugs on January 22, 2015, described Yuguda’s allegation against him as irrational. The governor… [Read More…]
Police deploy 4,282 officers for Jonathan’s Ondo rally The Ondo State Police Command has said it will deploy a total of 4,282 policemen to provide security in the State during President Goodluck Jonathans visit to the state on Wednesday. It said the number would include five units of visiting Police Mobile Force to serve as back up. Spokesman for the State Police Command,
- Should Internet connectivity be provided as a basic Municipal service? Municipalities are increasingly playing a powerful role in the Internet connectivity market. Broadband is generally recognised as a strategic tool in building the information economy and society. Extensive local and international studies have shown massive benefits of investing in Broadband infrastructure. In most of these studies, Broadband has...
- Facebook to test Facebook Lite in Africa According to a report by TechCrunch, Facebook has been testing a new version of Facebook dubbed “Facebook Lite.” The app is essentially a simplified version of its mobile website, which has been specifically designed for low-end Android devices in...
- Alcatel-Lucent to build FTTH network in South Africa Alcatel-Lucent has been selected by Vodacom in a move to build a gigabit passive optical networking (GPON) solution to expand the service provider’s customer base enterprise and residential markets. According to Alcatel-Lucent, the converged fibre to...
- South Africa on a solid path towards financial inclusion South Africa is making significant headway in furthering financial inclusion, according to a new MasterCard report entitled “A Progressive Approach to Financial Inclusion.” According to MasterCard, the report explores the progress that 30 developed and...
- Video Interview: IFS targets Africa as key growth market Alastair Sorbie is currently CEO and President of IFS, a position he has held since 2006. Sorbie joined the Swedish ERP solutions provider as managing director in 1997, when IFS entered the UK market. During his time as IFS UK MD, Sorbie played an important...
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week January 2015 is almost at a close; however, the industry is already buzzing. During the course of the week Microsoft unveiled some of the core features of its latest operating system, Windows 10. Also gracing the headlines this week was social media...
- Sub-Saharan Africa Pay TV revenues to hit $6.22 billion in 2020 Pay TV revenues in Sub-Saharan Africa will reach $6.22 billion in 2020, up from $3.54 billion in 2014 and $1.92 billion in 2010, according to a new report from Digital TV Research. Excluding South Africa, pay TV revenues will climb from $0.83 billion in 2010...
- 10 vital tips to avoid excessively high mobile phone bills More and more Africans are consuming value-added services over their mobile devices as data charges and smartphones become cheaper. With the festive season that just passed – most of us could do with advice on spending less money on our mobile devices. In...
- CIOs and HR directors should partner to deliver business value As the human resources (HR) function in most companies becomes more tech-driven and automated, so does the business partnership between the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and the HR director become increasingly important. That’s the word from Fanie Jansen,...
- WhatsApp makes a move to PC Popular messaging service “WhatsApp” has made its way to PC browsers across the African continent. The reveal was made public by the firm’s CEO Jan Koum – on the company’s Facebook page. Loum stated that: “Today, for the...
- GIBS to create digital awareness among business leaders The University of Pretoria’s Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) and Dimension Data revealed the formation of the Dimension Data Programme in Digital Disruption, which will be funded by Dimension Data through a sponsorship endowment to GIBS. The...
- Zimbabwe: Mobile subscriptions on the rise in Q3 The total number of subscribers in Zimbabwe’s telecommunication sector grew by 2.6 percent to 11.4 million in the third quarter of 2014 from 11.1 million in 2013. This is according to the Postal and Telecommunication Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe...
- Technology will drive growth in Africa over the next five years Chika Nwobi and Kresten Buch of Nigerian startup accelerator and funding programme 440ng discuss, with IT News Africa, the tech trends which will shape Africa in the next five years. Africa is booming and a lot of this economic growth stems from investment in...
- Securing the new era of big data In the digital age, information is the new currency. And in order to get information, enterprises are mining data – and lots of it – for the knowledge that it can yield. On the scale of Internet commerce or social networks, the amount of data can be...
- Microsoft unveils Windows 10 with free upgrade option On 21 January 2015, at a press and analyst event in Redmond Satya Nadella, Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Operating Systems Group, Joe Belfiore, corporate vice president, Operating Systems Group, and Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, among others, gave...
- MTN reorganising Business Unit to enhance client experience in SA MTN South Africa has announced the start of a process to reorganise its MTN Business unit, to strengthen its competitive advantage in the enterprise business solutions market. MTN is reorganising the unit to implement a new go-to-market structure that will...
- Boko Haram: Troops kill more terrorists in Maiduguri, Konduga …capture heavy weapons Defence Headquarters, DHQ, yesterday said that troops have killed more undisclosed numbers of Boko Haram insurgents in the ongoing battles in Maiduguri and Konduga, both in Borno… ...
- Yuguda sponsored attack on Jonathan –FCT Minister …says gov working for APC Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Bala Mohammed, has accused Bauchi State Governor, Isa Yuguda, of sponsoring last Thursday’s attack on the campaign train of… ...
- ‘NUJ should revisit Journalism Enhancement Bill’ A clarion call has gone to the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, to revisit and pursue vigorously the Journalism Enhancement Bill in order to ensure appropriate and prompt remuneration and… ...
- Plagiarism: Peterside threatens legal action against Wike Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Rivers State, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, yesterday alleged that his counterpart in the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Mr Nyesom Wike, cloned his… ...
- INEC receives card readers in Oyo …as PVCs go for N5,000 to N10,000 in Ibadan In its determination to forestall attempt at rigging the forthcoming February polls, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in Oyo State,… ...
- Polls: Boko Haram scares EU observers …shun North-East, meet Buhari, PDP chieftains The European Union, EU, election observers yesterday ruled out monitoring next month’s elections in the North-East due to the Boko Haram insurgency. A 30-man… ...
- INEC rejects gubernatorial candidates in seven states The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has rejected the submission of governorship candidates by seven parties in different states of the federation. It premised its position on Section 187 of… ...
- Nollywood’s MOPICON Bill missing More than 12 years after a group of stakeholders in the motion picture industry sat to draft the Motion Picture Practitioners’ Council, MOPICON Bill, investigations by National Mirror shows the… ...
- Assassins kill commissioner in Imo …It’s not politically motivated —Police Suspected hired assassins yesterday shot and killed a commissioner in Imo State House of Assembly near Orji in Owerri North Local Government Area of the… ...
- Minorities re-group for Jonathan …says enough is enough to northern dominance Ethnic minorities across the country yesterday gathered under one umbrella in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital, with a call to all minorities in all… ...
Oshiomhole to Jonathan: Don’t expect Edo people’s votes
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has advised the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic… ...Abia Central seat: Gov Orji is easiest person to beat –APC candidate
Honourable Iheanacho Obioma, a two-time member of the House of Representatives, has said that nobody… ...I can still be Speaker if God says so–Mulikat Akande
BY ZIKA BOBBY Mrs. Mulikat Akande-Adeola, lawmaker representing Ogbomoso North/South/Orire Federal Constituency in Oyo State,… ...Nigerians have hundreds of reasons to re-elect Jonathan
BY ENYERIBE EJIOGU (firstname.lastname@example.org) The February 14, 2015 presidential and National Assembly elections are thick… ...Buhari: Change Nigeria needs
A medical practitioner, Kelechi Nwagwu, is the Convener and National Coordinator, South-East Professionals for Buhari.… ...Enugu guber: APGA adopts PDP candidate, Ugwuanyi
From CHIDI NNADI, Enugu The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate in Enugu State, Hon.… ...PDP is dying –Tapgun
FROM KENNY ASHAKA, JOS Sir Fidelis Tapgun, former governor of Plateau State, erstwhile Nigeria’s Ambassador… ...You can’t force Oyo workers to vote for you, Makinde tells Ajimobi
FROM IBRAHIM AKANBI, IBADAN The governorship candidate of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Oyo… ...PDP sponsors attacks on president in the North –APC
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has pointedly accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) of sponsoring… ...PPA govt will introduce free education in Abia –Udensi
FROM OKEY SAMPSON, ABA Progressive Peoples’ Alliance (PPA) has promised to make education free in Abia… ...Fulani: 17 feared killed in Agatu
From ROSE EJEMBI, Makurdi. Seventeen persons have been killed in a crisis that erupted… ...Jonathan in Warri, explains suspension of gas city project
From PAUL OSUYI, Asaba President Goodluck Jonathan at the weekend paid an unscheduled visit to… ...Ambode hinges plans for Lagos on four pillars
…Says state cannot afford to baby-sit governor The governorship candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC)… ...Buhari: Best option for Nigeria
By WOLE BALOGUN, Ado Ekiti The leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kwara… ...We’ll no longer tolerate unprovoked attacks -Fayose
…Says no party has monopoly of violence By WOLE BALOGUN, Ado Ekiti Ekiti State Governor,… ...Better days ahead, Mascot Kalu tells electorate
The Progressives Peoples Alliance (PPA) aspirant for Aba North and South federal constituency, Chief Mascot… ...Boko Haram: Presidential convoy trapped in Maiduguri
From JULIANA TAIWO-OBALONYE, Abuja President Goodluck Jonathan’s advanced team to the Borno State capital Maiduguri,… ...Re-elect me, I’ll end Boko Haram, Jonathan tells Borno people
FROM TIMOTHY OLANREWAJU, MAIDUGURI Pr e s i d e n t Goodluck Jonathan yesterday… ...Group disowns Kanu…Vows to deliver Abia to Jonathan
The True Abians for Development, TAD, initiative has dissociated itself from a statement made by Ambassador… ...Jang advises Buhari to surrender
FROM MARIAM ALESHINLOYE AGBOOLA, JOS Governor Jonah David Jang of Plateau State has added his… ...We’ll roll out 1m free prepaid meters –Nebo
By ADEWALE SANYAOLU The current state of electricity supply in the country can be described… ...How Nigeria’s 774 LGAs squander N1.5trn allocation– Chidoka
BY LOUIS IBA Nigeria’s Minister of Aviation, Mr. Osita Chidoka, has described the local government… ...Jonathan releases N26bn for 2015 dry season farming
From THERESA EGBA, ABUJA To further boost the government’s efforts at producing more food for… ...‘Over 80m Nigerians shun capital market’
BY OMODELE ADIGUN Out of about 170million people, the number of Nigerians with no investments… ...FG still pays subsidy on petrol –PPPRA boss
FROM DENNIS MERNYI, ABUJA The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has explained that even… ...My pricing is just right –Ifeoluwapo Ajibike, CEO, Beads Speak
Ifeoluwapo Ajibike holds a master’s degree in English but has settled for beads making and… ...Thank God I lost my job – Babatunde, CEO, Greenpath Cleaners
By HENRY OKONKWO Gutter cleaning business is one of the most untapped business opportunities in… ...Networking is the livewire of business –Clara Okoro, CEO, Brandworld Media
Clara Chinwe Okoro believes entrepreneurship must have been wired in her DNA. One of her… ...Emerhor to set aside N10bn business fund for Delta entreprenuers
Governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Delta State and renowned banker, Olorogun O’tega Emerhor, has promised to set aside N10 billion as empowerment funds within the first 100 days of administration if elected. ...IPMAN’S 2 refineries ready in 18 months
The two refineries being established by the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) are expected to be ready in 18 months to boost fuel supply and reduce refined crude price when completed. ... Rejected, oversized dress fetched me beauty pageant crown – Cassandra Iwule, Miss Imo-USA
By CHUKS EZE She is the reigning Ada Imo-USA (Miss Imo USA) and currently contesting… ...I want collabo with Tuface–Peejay, Tuface’s look alike
Budding artiste, Edozie Peter Chigozie aka Peejay, has dropped a brand new single entitled Pronto… ...Excitement as Nigerian Idol returns
All is set for Nigeria Idol Season 5 as Optima Media Group and Etisalat Nigeria… ...MGGO contestants battle in Lagos makeover
It was excitement all the way on this week’s episode of Malta Guinness Game On… ...Rejected, oversized dress fetched me beauty pageant crown-Cassandra Iwule, Miss Imo-USA
By CHUKS EZE She is the reigning Ada Imo-USA (Miss Imo USA) and currently contesting… ...How I handle female fans–Joseph Benjamin
By Christian Agadibe Actor, singer and Project Fame presenter, Joseph Benjamin is one of the… ...Behold, Chief Victor Osuagwu
A list actor and Chairman of the Lagos State chapter of the Actors Guild of… ...‘Expect bigger, better AMVCA 2015’
For the Regional Director, MNET (West), Wangi Mba-Uzoukwu, 2015 promises to be an exciting year… ...Adiat Disu makes Forbes’ list of Youngest Power Women in Africa
Adiat Disu, daughter of former Nigerian international, Mr. Tajudeen Disu, was among the six young… ...I, carry cocaine? Never! –Hassan Taiwo (Ogogo)
Popular Yoruba actor and movie producer, Babatunde Al-Hassan Taiwo aka Ogogo, has definitely carved a… ...