- Nigeria former anti-graft tsar defects to scandal-hit, ruling PDP Nigeria's former anti-corruption chief Nuhu Ribadu has defected to the ruling People's Democratic Party to contest a state election, in a filip for President Goodluck Jonathan, whose PDP has been reeling from high profile corruption scandals. Analysts said his move was a big blow to the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC). A report by Ribadu's team in 2012 showed Nigeria lost out on tens ...
- Nigeria's foreign debt at $9.38 bln, up 40 pct from last year By Felix Onuah ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria's foreign debt stands at $9.38 billion, up 40 percent in absolute terms from its last publicly available data of $6.7 billion at the end of March 2013, the Debt Management Office said on Tuesday. The DMO said local debt was currently at 8.9 trillion naira($55 bln), up 37.1 percent from 6.49 trillion naira at end-March 2013. Nigeria rebased its economy in ...
- Boko Haram abduct dozens of boys in northeast Nigeria: witnesses By Lanre Ola MAIDUGURI Nigeria (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist Boko Haram fighters have abducted dozens of boys and men in a raid on a remote village in northeast Nigeria, loading them onto trucks and driving them off, witnesses who fled the violence said on Friday. The kidnappings came four months after Boko Haram, which is fighting to reinstate a medieval Islamic caliphate in religiously mixed ...
- In Nigeria, Ebola threat tests the rhythms of daily life At a nightclub in the Nigerian capital Saturday, nearly 500 miles from the nearest Ebola patient, two partygoers bumped elbows in what has become an alternative greeting to the handshakes that typically last well into a conversation. The men then pointed at each other, acknowledging the funny new greeting – a response to the Ebola outbreak, which has infected 12 people and killed four in the ...
- Top doctor is Nigeria's fifth Ebola death A senior doctor who treated Nigeria's first Ebola patient has died, taking the death toll in Africa's most populous country to five, health minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said on Tuesday. Chukwu said the doctor was "the most senior who participated in the management of the (first Ebola) patient" in the country. Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer, 40, died in a Lagos hospital on July 25, five days after ...
- Nigeria Football Federation reinstates president ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) The Nigeria Football Federation says Aminu Maigari has been reinstated as president after he was forced out of office during the World Cup, leading to the country being banned from all football by FIFA.
- Nigeria now has 12 Ebola cases, 5 recovered Nigeria has 12 confirmed cases of the Ebola virus, up from 10 at last week's count, of which five have almost fully recovered, the Health Ministry said on Monday.
- In Nigeria, Ebola threat tests the rhythms of daily life (+video) Concern over the outbreak has changed everything from standard greetings to how people board the bus. Nigeria is being credited for quick action, but the public mood is tense.
- Nigeria soldiers 'mutiny' over lack of weapons Dozens of Nigerian soldiers have refused to deploy for an offensive against Boko Haram Islamists until they receive better weapons, several of the mutineers told AFP on Wednesday. The troops said they had been ordered to move out of their barracks in the northeastern city of Maiduguri towards the Gwoza area of Borno state, where the insurgents have reportedly seized pockets of territory. Defence ...
- Nigeria showcases aircraft to monitor crime-infested waters Nigeria's military on Tuesday took the wraps off a new aircraft to tackle high-seas pirates off the country's coast, as well as maritime hijackers and oil thieves. The high-tech plane is one of seven to be operated by the state-run Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) and the Nigerian Air Force. It includes sensors, radar and Electro-Optic Surveillance and Tracking (EOST ...
- Outrage Grows Over Poor Ebola Response - Call for Global Mobilization [allAfrica]Washington, DC -Imagine this choice. Your child has Ebola symptoms. You have no protective gloves to help keep you alive to care for her. But she needs comfort, so you wash her and wipe away her vomit – and you both die.
- Soldiers Rebel over Lack of Weapons to Fight Boko Haram [This Day]A group of soldiers in the North-eastern part of the country is refusing to fight Islamist sect, Boko Haram, until they receive better equipment, one of the mutineers has told the BBC Hausa Service.
- Boko Haram Forces Victims to Fight, Kill [VOA]Abuja -The Boko Haram insurgency continues to expand in size and tactics, kidnapping villagers and forcing them to fight.
- For Fear of Ebola, Davido Cancels Cameroon Concert [Cameroun-Info.Net]Nigerian recording artist, performer, and record producer David Adedeji Adeleke, better known by his stage name Davido cancelled his concert in Cameroon a day after the Cameroon government announced closure of their borders and suspension of flights from Ebola-infected nations like Nigeria.
- 'The Other Side of Nigeria's War on Terror' [Channel 4]The kidnap of more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls by hard line Islamists shocked the world - and focused new attention on the terrorist group Boko Haram.
- Police, Your "Friend, Helper" [Vanguard]Whenever a new Inspector General of Police is appointed, he calls together the top echelon of the Police, with great media attention, to unfold his vision and mission. The recently appointed IGP, Alhaji Suleiman Abba, is no different. Abba has made it clear that the Nigerian Police under his charge would be modelled as, not just a friend but also a "helper". According to him, it is only when a policeman demonstrates his eagerness to help members of society that he is accepted as a friend.
- Health Minister Expresses Confidence in Ebola Containment Measures [VOA]Nigeria's health minister says the administration has made strides in containing the Ebola disease by implementing a "multidimensional and Multi-sectorial" approach to combat the disease after some infected patients were successfully treated and discharged.
- Brave Doctor, Adadevoh Loses Ebola Battle [Vanguard]LAGOS-- FRONTLINE medical Doctor, Ameyo Stella Adadevoh, who saved the country from potential epidemic of the Ebola Virus Disease, EVD, yesterday, fell to the vise-grip of the disease which she contracted while attending to the index (first) Ebola case, the late American-Liberian, Patrick Sawyer.
- Ebola - UN Health Agency Reports Encouraging Signs in Nigeria, Guinea [UN News]While the trends of the outbreak of Ebola in Nigeria and Guinea, where the virus made its first appearance in West Africa last December, have shown encouraging signs, the United Nations health agency today expressed concern about the situation in the Liberian capital of Monrovia.
- Fire Engulfs NFF's Office in Abuja [Daily Independent]The flames are said to have started from a spark in the accountant's office which quickly spread through the building before it was eventually brought under control by fire service
- Engage Boko Haram, Guber Aspirant Urges Jonathan [Daily Independent]President Goodluck Jonathan has been enjoined to practically engage the members of the Islamic sect, Boko Haram, by creating more jobs and good environment for the young ones as a way of dissuading them from joining the terrorist group.
- External Reserves Grew 0.44 Percent in First-Half August - CBN [Daily Independent]The ambitious growth in nation's external reserves in recent times weakened in the first 18 days of August, going by latest data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
- APC Warns Against Arrest of Party Chairman in Borno [Daily Independent]The All Progressives Congress (APC) has strongly warned against the plan by the Department of State Security (DSS), acting at the behest of some politicians, to arrest its Chairman in Borno State, Ali Abubakar Dalori, on trumped-up charges.
- Ebola Death Toll Hits 1,229 - Who [Daily Independent]The number of deaths from the Ebola outbreak in West Africa has climbed to 1,229, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Tuesday.
- Boko Haram - Soldiers Disobey Deployment Order [Daily Independent]A group of soldiers in the North East has been reported to be refusing to fight Boko Haram insurgents until they are better equipped.
- NFF Congress to Hold in Warri - Official [Premium Times]The Nigeria Football Federation [NFF] general assembly will hold in Warri, Delta State, an official has said.
- Ayilade Sworn in As New Lagos Chief Judge [CAJ News]Lagos -THE newly-appointed Chief Judge of Lagos State, Justice Olajumoke Atilade, has been officially sworn in.
- Road Corps Receive Major Housing Boost [CAJ News]Abuja -THE Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has concluded plans to commence the construction of housing units for all its workers in a move aimed at empowering them.
- Jonathan Sympathises With Ebola-Infected Doctors [CAJ News]Lagos -PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan paid tribute to medical officers who contracted the deadly Ebola while treating American-Liberian Patrick Sawyer, the country's first victim of the virus.
- FG Committed to Improving Welfare of Military Personnel - Presidential C'ttee [Leadership]The Federal Government is committed to improving the welfare of military personnel, the Presidential Committee on Barracks Rehabilitation, has said.
- Flood - 6,000 Rendered Homeless, Four Dead [Leadership]No fewer than 6,000 persons were yesterday rendered homeless and four persons killed following a torrential rainfall which caused heavy flood at Issele-uku community, near Asaba, Delta State,
- MDGs - FG, Taraba Spend N3.5 Billion On Provision of Water [Leadership]Taraba State government and the federal government have expended about N3.5 billion to provide water to about 840 communities in the state from 2007 to date.
- Violence Against Women - Na'abba Tasks Nass Over 14-Year-Old Bill [Leadership]Former speaker, House of Representatives, Hon. Ghali Umar Na'Abba, yesterday lamented that a bill designed to address violence against women has lingered in the National Assembly for over 14 years.
- 2015 - APC Youth Group Endorses Tambuwal for Sokoto Governorship [Leadership]A youth wing of the Sokoto All Progressives Congress (APC), Youth Mobilisation Initiative (AYOMI) has called on the speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal to take the bull by the horns and defect to the APC, saying it endorses his candidature for the state governorship come 2015.
- Adamawa Guber - Umar Ardo Picks PDP Nomination Form [Leadership]Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain in Adamawa State, Dr. Umar Ardo yesterday joined the growing list of aspirants who have obtained expression of interest and nomination forms to contest the governorship election slated for October in the state.
- FG/UNDP Launch National Digital Flood Model [Leadership]The Federal Ministry of Environment, in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme, has launched a National Digital Flood Model for better forecasting and monitoring of flooding nationwide.
- PSC Promotes Eight Police Officers to DIGs [Leadership]The Police Service Commission, PSC, yesterday announced the promotion of eight senior police officers to the rank of Deputy Inspector General of Police, DIG. While six of the officers were promoted from the rank of Assistant Inspector General of Police, AIG, two others were promoted from Commissioner of Police.
- Mo Ibrahim Foundation Launches "Snapping Cities" Photography Competition [Leadership]This week the Mo Ibrahim Foundation launched a photography competition that puts the spotlight on urbanisation in Africa. The competition comes ahead of the Foundation's annual Governance Weekend on 21-23 November in Accra, Ghana, during which the discussion forum will focus on the theme of "African Cities."
- Son Destroys N700 Million Fake Products [Daily Independent]The Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) has carried out a public destruction of adulterated consignment of goods worth over N700million at its Ogun State Dump Site in Shagamu. A total of 10 trucks of consignment of goods containing electrical appliances, mobile phones and armoured cables and other numerous products were seized and burnt at the dumpsite..
- 'Fashola Deserves Commendation Over Handling of Ebola Virus' [Daily Independent]Lagos -A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ayo Akande, on Tuesday said Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, deserves commendation over his handling of the outbreak of Ebola virus in the state.
- See Nollywood Stars Ali Nuhu, Funke Akindele Promoting Omo Fast Action [PHOTOS]
- Stella Damasus’s First Daughter Turns 15, Read Her Special Message To Her
- Vacation Photos: Omotola Jalade Sightseeing With Family In Capetown South Africa
- Bukky Wright’s Teenage Son’s Girlfriend Gives Birth To Baby Girl In The US
- Nollywood Celebrity Selfies: Jim Iyke, Rita Dominic, Genevieve Nnaji Show Off Face Pics
- Genevieve Nnaji’s Rumoured Lesbian Partner, Ella Martins Flaunts Killer Curve
- Nigerian Actress Halima Abubakar Says No To Marriage “I’m Not Looking For Husband”
- Saidi Balogun In Debt After You Or I Movie Got Pirated, Nollywood Producer Cries Out
- Grace Amah Gets Best Bed-hopping Nollywood Actress Award Of The Year
- Happy Birthday To Nollywood Actress Angela Okorie
- Iyabo Ojo Finds Love Years After Divorce, Says 1st Marriage Crashed Bcos Of Immaturity
- Dakore & Husband, Olumide Akande Spotted At Sonuga’s Wedding In Lagos [PHOTO]
- Photos: Mercy Johnson’s Husband Arrives Baltimore Maryland For Wedding Anniversary
- How Patrick Sawyer Intentionally Infected Nigerian Doctor Ameyo Stella Adedavoh With Ebola Virus
- Picture: 2 Benin Republic Men Who Raped Nigerian Girl Jailed For 10 Years With Hard Labour
- Arab Man Stabbed To Death By European Girlfriend In Dubai For Not Marrying Her
- 2 Ebonyi House Members Arrested Over Burglary At Assembly Chamber
- Ebola Virus Suspects Arrested In Ogun State; 2 Guineans & Nigerian Placed In Isolation
- Photos: Crippled Boko Haram Member Sent To Bomb Lagos Airport
- Boko Haram Suicide Bomber, Crippled Man Arrested With Bomb Near Lagos Airport
- Confession Of Edo Boy Who Slept With Five Dogs
- Boat Explosion In Victoria Island Lagos Killed 1, 9 Injured Victims Rescued
- Killer Of Lagos Bizwoman, Njideka Lizzy Pleads For Mercy “I Don’t Want Another Man To Marry Her”
- Former EcoBank Manager Arrested Over N81M Loan Fraud, Victor Amushie In EFCC Detention
- Lady Beaten Badly By Abusive Boyfriend Says He’s Caring & Romantic
- Two Dead Bodies Found In Sapele Benin Agbor Road In Edo State
- Doctors may end strike, convene stakeholders meeting ABOUT two months down the line, the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) is set to end its [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:10]
- Jega faults deployment of hooded operatives for elections THE successes recorded at the Osun State gubernatorial election notwithstanding, the Chairman of [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:09]
- Ebola: UCTH takes delivery of protective equipment • WHO cautions on embalmment, funeral ceremonies EVEN as the fear of Ebola spread grips the people [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:38]
- Delegates scramble, as NIMC opens 50 centres CONFAB delegates Wednesday anxiously grabbed the opportunity to be captured in the ongoing [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:07]
- Police arrest eight over alleged stealing of 1,301 PVCs in Delta • Two women in possession of 56 in Kwara THE Delta Police Spokeswoman, Mrs. Celestina Kalu, [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:29]
- El-Zakzaky, DSS bicker over alleged planned attack on military, police • El-Zakzaky denies allegation THE leadership of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria, Shi’ites, led by [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:56]
- WAEC introduces walk-in-registration for private candidates • N’Assembly decries recurrent poor performance in exams THE West African Examinations Council [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:26]
- Joseph Mbu, 18 other CPs now AIGs • Force receives bomb investigation equipment NINETEEN Commissioners of Police (CPs) have been [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:50]
- Onyebuchi alleges Chime operates poultry, piggery farms at Govt House A NEW twist was Wednesday added to the ongoing investigation of impeachment allegations against [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:08]
- Zuriel Oduwole, Dangote Foundation join drive for education MDG WITH less than 500 days to the realization of the 2015 Millennium Development Goals set by [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:48]
- Taraba lawmakers query appropriation of N10b roads fund DISSATISFIED with how the N10 billion meant for the construction of four-kilometer roads in each [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:06]
- New Telegraph names Osagie new MD The Board of Directors of The Sun Publishing Limited and Daily Telegraph Publishing Company [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:47]
- Group calls for prosecution of resident doctors A GROUP, “Concerned Nigerians Who Are Affected By The NMA Strike Action” has condemned the ongoing [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:05]
- Two feared killed by political thugs in Gombe THE gruesome murder of two workers of the Gombe State Agency for Social and Community Development [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 21:45]
- NEPAD prescribes $368 billion projects for Nigeria, others DRIVING real sector growth that would engender economic development would demand Nigeria and other [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:37]
- Safeguard Nigerian ports against Ebola spread, says U.S. envoy • NPA assures on safety at gateways THE Consular General of the United States (U.S) in Nigeria, [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:33]
- Yobe legislators okay N4.15b virement to complete projects THE Yobe House of Assembly, yesterday, approved a virement of N4.15 billion in the 2014 budget, to [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 18:05]
- Govts, firms raise N53.48b from bond market in seven months SOME state governments and quoted companies raised N53.48 billion from the bonds market of the [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:31]
- Govt moves to halt influx of imported lubricants ...Targets enhanced local production, export market THE Federal Government has commenced plans to [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:39]
- CBN clears air on remote-on-us policy THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said it has noted some public comments on its recent policy [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:30]
- SAP unfolds plan to invest $500m in Nigeria, others INFORMATION and Communications Technology (ICT) markets in Africa, particularly in Nigeria, South [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:37]
- Empowerment of women imperative for MDGs achievement MINISTER of Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Zainab Maina, has said that empowering [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 20:28]
- NUPENG decries IOCs disposition to local content agenda . Seeks govt’s intervention in OBOB gas plant project THE Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:35]
- Sterling Bank bags CBNs agric scheme award STERLING Bank Plc has been conferred the Best Performing Bank under the Commercial Agriculture [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 18:14]
- Access Bank, Visa partner online firm on e-procurement services ACCEESS Bank Plc and VISA have singed a partnership deal with an online shopping company- [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 18:12]
- Fire razes NFF secretariat CONFUSED officials of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Wednesday watched helplessness as fire [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:26]
- Umehs faction, Baribote allege sabotage, want incident investigated THE Mike Umeh led faction of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) executive board has described [Wednesday, 20 August 2014 22:22]
- Cross River ready for NDDC/South South Athletics Championship, says Ijirigho ATHLETES coming for the Fourth Cross River State/NDDC/South South Athletics Championship, which [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:51]
- Umehs group stays away, as Maigaris NFF chats new roadmap MEMBERS of the Mike Umeh-led faction of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) board Tuesday [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:25]
- NFF invites injured Obasi, four home-based for Congo, South Africa ties THE Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Tuesday released the names of 23 players billed to prepare [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:23]
- Confident Falconets seek vengeance against Korea FOUR years ago in Germany, Nigeria’s U-20 women’s team, Falconets, took everyone by surprise by [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:22]
- Investment One youth table tennis clinic serves off in Benin City A GRASSROOTS table tennis clinic for the youths in Benin City and its environs served off [Monday, 18 August 2014 21:00]
- Port Harcourt, Lagos Arsenal fans get fantastic Sterling Bank experience THE world-class performance of Arsenal Football Club, culminating in the winning of the Community [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 20:21]
- Inyama: We are one big family THE Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Media Committee Chairman, Emeka Inyama, says the storm is [Monday, 18 August 2014 20:58]
- Brume returns to training ahead IAAF Continental Cup AFTER conquering Africa and the Commonwealth Nations in the long jump, Nigeria’s teenage [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:54]
- CAF upholds Lesothos walk over, hands Nigeria AYC ticket NIGERIA has qualified for the final tournament of the Orange African Youth Championship – Senegal [Monday, 18 August 2014 20:57]
- Shorumu tips Falconets for FIFA U-20 Women World Cup final SUPER Eagles Assistant Coach, Ike Shorunmu, has heaped praises on the national women U-20 team, [Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:52]
- NUJ defeats Team LETI 4-0 THE Nigeria Union of Jonurnalist (NUJ), Lagos chapter defeated the Team LETI comprising of [Monday, 18 August 2014 18:11]
News Fifa U-20 Womens World Cup: Falconets qualify for final Nigeria defeated Korea DPR 6-2 in the first semifinal of the 2014 Fifa U-20 Womens World Cup to reach their second final ever in the history of the competition. Four goals from Asisat Oshoala plus goals from Courtney Dike and Uchechi Sunday ensured the Nigerians recorded an emphatic win against the pacy Asians who got
Liberia troops enforce Ebola quarantine Security forces in Liberia’s capital Monrovia have deployed to enforce a quarantine in a large slum area in order to contain the spread of Ebola. The move set off protests from angry residents in West Point and people gathered at roadblocks to complain. The president has also ordered a countrywide night-time curfew as part of
Foley killing: UK PM in emergency talks UK Prime Minister David Cameron has interrupted his holiday to return to London after a video released by the Islamic State (IS) group purported to show a man with a British accent executing US journalist, James Foley. Cameron will meet with officials from the Home Office, Foreign Office, and intelligence agencies on Wednesday to discuss the situation in Iraq and Syria,
We are looking forward to a new Nigeria – Kutigi The Chairman of the national conference, Justice Idris Kutigi, has said he and members of the conference are looking ahead to what he described as a new Nigeria.He called on the delegates not to rest until that time when he said a new Nigeria would be made.Kutig spoke at a dinner put together by the
Rojo completes Manchester United move Marcos Rojo has penned a five-year deal at Manchester United after completing his move to Old Trafford from Sporting Lisbon. Louis van Gaals side are understood to have paid €20 million for the Argentina international, with Nani joining the Portuguese giants as part of the deal. Marcos Rojo will wear the no.5 shirt for
UN Ebola coordinator to visit West Africa A public health expert coordinating United Nations efforts to fight Ebola, David Nabarro, has said he would be visiting West Africa to determine the strategies that the global body can deploy to support people, communities and governments affected by the deadly disease in West Africa. Nabarro at a news conference said that he will have
Obama vows to fight IS ‘cancer’ after killing US President Barack Obama has vowed that his country will not be swayed from airstrikes against the Islamic State (IS) group after it beheaded an American journalist, an act he said was proof that the fighters stand for no religion. Obama’s response on Wednesday to the execution of James Foley marked his strongest condemnation yet of IS fighters, and he gave no sign of a pause in US
Were devastated – Late Dr. Adadevohs family Following the death of the Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist, Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh, her family members have said that they have been left devastated. Adadevoh was the lead doctor who attended to the late Liberian-American, Patrick Sawyer, that brought the Ebola Virus Disease to Nigeria. She died on Tuesday night, making her the fifth recorded fatality
Gaza conflict: Israel PM vows further campaign The Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed a continued campaign against Gaza militants, amid renewed fighting between the two sides. The Israeli military says it has carried out 92 air strikes, in response to 137 rockets fired at its territory. Hamas says the wife and child of its military commander, Mohammed Deif, have been
Adamawa gov race: Ribadu, Marwa, Gundiri suffer setback National Working Committee members of the Peoples Democratic Party met in Abuja on Wednesday, but failed to discuss the issue of waiver for those who want to contest the party’s governorship bye- election in Adamawa State.Those who needed the waiver are the trio of the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mallam
No new confirmed Ebola case – Health Minister The Minister of Health Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu has said that there is no new confirmed case of Ebola disease in the country, contrary to reports that five new cases had been observed in Lagos.The minister, in a tweet on Wednesday by his Special Assistant on Media and Communication, Dan Nwomeh, explained that so far, no
Suspension of residency training programme not reversible – FG The Federal Government on Wednesday said the embargo placed on appointment of new doctors into public hospitals across the country and the suspension of the Residency Training Programme in the health sector was done in the overall interest of all Nigerians. Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Pius Anyim, stated this in his
- Bharti Airtel & VeriFone to drive Africa’s mobile money evolution Bharti Airtel and VeriFone Mobile Money have reached an agreement to offer VeriFone Mobile Money’s merchant enablement applications for mobile Tap n Pay across Airtel’s 17 operating countries in Africa. According to the company, VeriFone Mobile Money’s Tap n Pay applications are a smart, secure and fast way for customers to pay, buy, bank, bill ...
- Jumia Egypt seals partnership with Sony Jumia has officially inked and sealed its partnership with Sony on its Egyptian website. Launched two months ago, Sony’s online store on Jumia has increased as well as boosted its sales in Egypt by 15%. This is according to the company. Mattia Perroni, CEO...
- Takealot reveals new mobile store Takealot has revealed the launch of its new mobile website. According to Takealot, the mobile site features a redesigned user interface and an improved user experience. Commenting on the announcement, Takealot, CO-CEO Willem Van Biljon said: “We are a...
- Video Interview: Cobus Potgieter talks tech & YouTube IT News Africa caught up with South African YouTube sensation, Cobus Potgieter, to discuss tech in Africa. Potgieter also gave IT News Africa the run down on the equipment and tech that he uses as well as advice to Africans who want to break out onto the...
- MTN using street lamps as network towers in SA MTN has started deploying antennas on street light poles, and erecting purpose-built pole masts with zero visual impact around west and northern Johannesburg to improve network coverage and quality. The deployment of this technology follows a three year...
- Huawei Uganda launches Mobile Broadband Demo truck show Huawei officially launched the Mobile Broadband demo truck show at Kampala Serena Hotel, in Uganda. The five day demo is set to showcase Huawei’s latest converged communications solutions and philosophies to enhance its brand industry leadership, with a...
- Vodacom unveils R1 Billion network upgrade for Gauteng Earlier this year, Vodacom Group CEO Shameel Joosub announced plans for a 30% increase in investment in Vodacom’s network across South Africa. He stated that amongst other things, the money would go towards adding base stations, getting more data coverage...
- SAP injects $500 Million investment into Africa SAP has revealed a seven-year plan to up-skill local African talent and drive sustainable innovation and growth in Africa. With more than 1,300 customers across the continent, SAP is already enabling African businesses and governments of all sizes to grow,...
- Telkom set to enforce Fair Usage Policy in SA Telkom has revealed that its Internet Service Provider (ISP) will begin to enforce its Fair Usage Policy (FUP). According to Telkom, the reason behind the move is in the spirit of enhancing the Internet experience of all its users. The company has stated...
- BCX names Cisco as anchor partner for MWOT Business Connexion (BCX) has announced that Cisco is now an anchor partner for its Technology of the Future exhibition; MyWorld of Tomorrow Africa (MWOT). Hosted by BCX, MyWorld of Tomorrow will take place from 16 to 18 October 2014 at the Sandton...
- 2015: Registered voters now 70.3 million –INEC …lists conditions for deployment of troops The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, yesterday put the total number of registered voters in the country at 70,383,427. This is even as the… ...
- Nigerian female doctor dies of Ebola 17 Liberian runaway patients found The Federal Government yesterday announced the fifth death from the deadly Ebola virus in the country. News of the death was communicated through a statement… ...
- Nigeria’s industrial potential untapped –Aganga The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Dr. Olusegun Aganga, has said that the country’s industrial potential has remained largely untapped despite its advancement from being the third largest economy… ...
- Police keep mum over arrested Lagos suicide bomber The Nigerian Police yesterday kept mute over the suicide bomber that was arrested at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos on Monday. When our correspondent contacted the Commissioner of… ...
- FG to provide long term funds for industrialists, cash crops farmers President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday unveiled plans to establish a new Development Finance Institution, DFI, to focus primarily on providing long term credit to industrialists and tree crop farmers. The President… ...
- Lagos to prosecute illegal sewage disposal operators The Lagos State Ministry of the Environment has said that it would prosecute any illegal sewage operator that flouts the guidelines for disposal of wastes, even as it admitted leasing… ...
- DSS policy to reposition Civil Service The outgoing Permanent Secretary (Common Service Office) Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Mr. Yemi Adelakun has said the Direct Service Strategy (DSS) policy would reposition… ...
- Obi’s exit signals end of APGA-PDP chieftain Following the resignation of the former Anambra State Governor, Mr. Peter Obi, as the Board of Trustee, BoT, Chairman of the All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA, and the defection of… ...
- New HoS tasks civil servants on creativity Newly-appointed Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Mr Danladi Irmiya Kifasi yesterday took over the reins of leadership with a charge to civil servants to evolve more creative… ...
- Borno APC warns against ‘plot’ to arrest its chairman The All Progressives Congress, APC, has alleged a plot by security agencies to arrest its Borno State chapter Chairman, Hon Ali Abubakar Dalori, on trumped-up charges. It said the move… ...
APC warns against arrest of chairman in Borno
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has warned against alleged plan by the Department of State Services (DSS) to arrest its Chairman in Borno State, Ali Dalori, on trumped-up charges, saying it is capable of precipitating a crisis in an already volatile environment. ...NSCDC arrests 3 INEC ad-hoc staff over missing voter cards
The Jigawa State Command of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has arrested three Ad-hoc staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over missing 202 permanent voter cards during the just-concluded distribution exercise in the state. ...2015: Crisis hits Kaduna PDP
Fresh crisis is brewing in the Kaduna State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), as the Elders’ Forum from the southern zone of the state, yesterday said there will be no automatic ticket for all serving elected officials in the state. ...INEC deploys 400 voters registration machines to Ondo
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has deployed over 400 registration machines to the 18 local government areas of Ondo State for the Continuous Voters Registration (CVR) in the state. ...PDP berates Fayemi over non-payment of workers’ salary
Ekiti State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has decried the alleged non-payment of the July salary of local government workers and teachers by the state government, saying it is wicked to deny workers their wages. ...Tension in Oyo over voter cards distribution
Two former governors of Oyo State, Senator Rashidi Ladoja and Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala are among thousands of electorate whose permanent voter cards (PVCs) have not been released by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). ...APC, PDP clash in Rivers, 2 soldiers injured
Two soldiers were reportedly wounded and property worth millions of naira destroyed late Sunday night when supporters of All Progressives Congress (APC) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) clashed in Etche Local Government Area of Rivers State. ...You can’t ban PRP, Balarabe tells INEC
Former Governor of Kaduna State, Alhaji Balarabe Musa, has said the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has no constitutional right to ban Peoples Redemption Party (PRP). ...2015: Jonathan must enjoy right of first refusal –PDP
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) National Working Committee (NWC) has declared that priority will be given to the presidential ambition of the President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan. ...The Jonathanians’ emergence boosts president’s re-election bid
A new group, The Jonathanians, has emerged on the political scene with a mandate to deploy an innovative campaign strategy for President Goodluck Jonathan. ...Security: Obiano commends Army, as COAS tours Anambra
Anambra state Governor, Chief Willie Obiano has commended officers and men of the Nigerian Army… ...NLC cautions FG on resident doctors’ sack
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has urged the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) to consider the… ...Ahmed condoles with Emir of Ilorin over Sheikh Al-adaby’s death
Kwara State Governor, Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed, has commiserated with the Emir of Ilorin, Dr. Ibrahim Zulu-Gambari, over the death of eminent Islamic scholar and Mufti of Ilorin, Sheikh Sofiyullahi Kamaldeen Habibulahi Al-adaby . ...Woman drags husband to court over threat to life
A middleaged woman, Mariam Adegoke has dragged her husband, Akeem before a Grade C Customary Court sitting in Agodi area of Ibadan over alleged death threat. Mariam, who resides with her husband and children at Apetere area of Ibadan, wants their 18-year-old marriage dissolved because she suffered a heavy burden in the marriage. ...Man, 70, injured as building collapses in Osun
A 70-year-old man, Pa Samuel Osuntoyinbo, was yesterday, injured in a building that collapsed at Oke-Ayepe area of Osogbo, Osun State capital. Pa Osuntoyinbo, who lived in the storey building located on Ilesa Road, Oke Ayepe, was said to have lost his two legs in the incident. ...Oduah unveils empowerment programme for Anambra youths
Youths and farmers in the 52 communities in Anambra North Senatorial zone are to benefit from scholarship, skills acquisition and other empowerment programmes of Princess Stella Adaeze Oduah Foundation in Anambra State. ...Police arrest 2 Ebonyi lawmakers, invite others
Police in Ebonyi State have arrested two members of Ebonyi State House of Assembly over… ...Again, Umeh blasts Obi
The claim by the former governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi, that the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) would have gone into extinction but for his efforts, has been described as unfortunate and a demonstration of loss of memory. ...Tension in Imo community as Okorocha replaces Eze Ilomuanya
Governor of Imo State, Rochas Okorocha yesterday, replaced the traditional ruler of Obinugwu, Eze Cletus Ilomuanya, who the governor accused of abandoning his duties as a traditional ruler. ...2 shot dead after robbing petrol attendant in Delta
The police have killed two suspected armed robbers during an exchange of fire in Abavo, Ika South Local Government Area of Delta State. ...Fashola unveils Tejuosho shopping complex for public occupation
The Lagos State Government over the weekend brought succour the way of Tejuosho traders whose shops and wares were gutted by fire on December 18, 2007. ...Ogun provides survey equipment to aid accurate measurement
The Ogun State Government has procured modern survey equipment for proper survey work on land matters for surveyors, engineers and environmentalists in the State. ...Labour absolves 32.5 cement grade from building collapse
Not satisfied with inconsistent government policies by government agencies, the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC) has cautioned the Federal Government to be weary of its policy somersault on cement standardization. ...Nigeria’s domestic debt now N8.9trn –DMO
Director General, Debt Management Office (DMO), Dr Abraham Nwankwo, yesterday put Nigeria’s domestic debt at N8.9 trillion while the external debt stock has risen to $9.3billion. ...July revenue dips by N101bn, as FAAC shares N630bn
The Federal Government’s revenue allocation fell from N784.886 billion in June to N630.325 billion in July following a decline in Companies Income Tax collection and a series of shutdowns of Trunklines and pipelines at various terminals at Akpo and Bonny terminals. ...Jonathan disburses N869m of N220bn MSME fund
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday disbursed about N869.9 million of the N220 billion earmarked for the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) to the first batch of beneficiaries of SMEs in Abuja. ...FAAC: FG, States, LGs share N654.6bn for July
The Minister of State for Finance, Mr Bashir Yuguda, said N654.6 billion was shared among… ...Whizkids boost financial literacy via apps
The federal government through the Ministry of communications Technology recently positioned the Information and Communications… ...Sterling Bank unveils products at ‘BonMarche- Fairstival’
Sterling Bank says it will take its giant strides in the development of the education sector in Nigeria a step further when it takes its education product offerings to the Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH), Lagos, venue of the six-day student fair tagged, ‘’BonMarcheFairstival” under its “One Education” initiative. ...CBN orders banks to achieve “Highly Secured Online Fund Transfer” Dec 31 deadline
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has ordered banks to attain “Highly Secured Online Funds Transfer” status by December 31, 2014. The CBN, in a circular signed by Director, Banking & Payments System Department, Mr. Dipo Fatokun, released yesterday, titled ...Don Jazzy joins online ice bucket challenge for ALS research
(LAGOS) Nigerian multi award winning record producer, musician and songwriter, Michael Ajereh, popularly called Don… ...MTN boosts Battle Of The Year
Telecoms giant, MTN has, thrown its weight behind this year’s edition of the annual Battle… ...Leadership lessons Adedibu taught me –Femi Emmanuel
Presiding Pastor, Livingspring Chapel International Lamidi Adedibu is one name that strikes a familiar chord.… ...De’boyed’s Lets Celebrate video goes viral
These are happy times for America based Nigerian singer and rapper, Deboyed. The video of… ...Star The Winner Is’: Rhema secures semi final ticket
23-year-old Rhema Osbourne has secured a well-deserved spot in the semi finals of Star The… ...I can’t date a celebrity –Run Town
Douglas Jack Agu aka RunTown, is one of the fast rising pop acts that have… ...My vision for Rivers State –Julius Agwu
Last week, news that ace comedian, Julius Agwu, would be running for the governorship of… ...My husband, my favourite leader –Princess Romeo Oghene
Princess Romeo Oghene is a businesswoman in all ramifications. She is into properties, building, interior… ...2015: Celebrities endorse Jimi Agbaje for Lagos guber race
Entertainment industry buffs recently kept showbiz issues aside to rally around the vision for a… ...‘Sexyllency’ Anita Joseph’s porn movie controversy
“Have you heard?” “Heard what?” “Actress and movie producer, AfroCandy will give Anita Joseph a… ...
- Closure of Cameroonian border: Shettima Orders Food, Drugs to Border Town [20 Aug 2014]
- FEC Approves N31.2bn For Electricity Contract [20 Aug 2014]
- Ebola: FEC Praises Late Adadevoh's Courage, Patriotism [20 Aug 2014]
- Impeachment: Chime Also Owns Poultry Farm, Says Deputy Gov [20 Aug 2014]
- UN: 2,240 Ebola Cases in West Africa [20 Aug 2014]
- UN: 2,240 Ebola Cases in West Africa [20 Aug 2014]
- Terrorism: Over 15,000 Civil Defence Personnel Trained on Counter-Terrorism [20 Aug 2014]
- Liberian Police Fire Tear gas to Disperse Protest over Ebola Quarantine [20 Aug 2014]
- Jonathan Swears in New Head of Service, Commissioner [20 Aug 2014]
- Obama: Too Early to Send Experimental Ebola Drug to Africa [07 Aug 2014]
- Lawan: I Collected $500,000 Bribe Offer [12 Jun 2012]
- Ebola Strikes At The Heart Of Nigeria…Ameyo, Daughter of Kwaku Adadevoh, Great Grand Daughter of Herbert Macaulay, Dies [20 Aug 2014]
- Ebola Patient, Dr. Adadevoh, is Dead [19 Aug 2014]
- Soldiers Rebel over Lack of Weapons to Fight Boko Haram [20 Aug 2014]
- Boko Haram Suspect: We Were Sent to Bomb Lagos Airport [19 Aug 2014]
- Samsung in aggressive push to capture entry-level smartphone market - Samsung, Korean smartphone maker, is making an aggressive push into the low-cost smartphone segment of Nigeria’s phone market with the introduction of two new reasonably-priced devices, which pack a punch in terms of functionality, but targeted at the new generation of users. The technology company on Tuesday rolled out its Galaxy Trend Lite and Galaxy
- Aiico Insurance HI profit drops 22.60% on rising cost - Aiico Insurance plc half-year profit drops 22.60 percent on rising operating costs, analysis of the financial statement shows. For the first six months of the year, Aiico’s net income plummeted by 22.37 percent to N1.13 billion from N1.46 billion the same period of the corresponding period (HY) 2013. Earnings per share (EPS) reduced to 16.43k
- Partnership with Lagos is for skill acquisition, capacity building – Nigerite - Nigerite Limited, Nigeria’s premier building solutions provider, has explained that its partnership with Lagos State government on enterprise development is motivated by the need to encourage skill acquisition and capacity building. The company believes that for the world to survive the level of unemployment among youths, especially in sub-Saharan Africa, those youths must be developed
- South Africa’s Capitec shares sink after ratings cut - Shares of Capitec Bank sank more than 5 percent in early trade on Monday after a Moody’s ratings downgrade that cited concerns about the bank’s exposure to risky consumer lending. The ratings agency cut Capitec’s financial strength rating to “D” from “D+” late on Friday and downgraded the bank’s bank deposit rating by two notches.
- Western Union, First Bank launch outbound service in Nigeria - The Western Union Company, a leader in global payment services, has announced the launch of the outbound remittance service in Nigeria. Since the Western Union Money Transfer service was launched in Nigeria in 1995, consumers in the country have only been able to receive funds via the service. This launch therefore represents a significant milestone
- Jeep Wrangler Rubicon more adventurous for 2014 - Jeep, the legendary off-road and sports utility vehicle, is back again with a new addition. After observing the wide acceptance of the Wrangler in the Nigerian auto market, Weststar Associates, franchise owner of Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Ram in Nigeria, now debuts the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. The new Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited within the automotive industry
- BusinessDay reporter wins Toyota ‘Motoring Award’ - Toyota, leader on the global automotive sales chart as well as consistent fastest selling brand in Nigeria, has voted Mike Ochonma, motoring reporter of BusinessDay newspaper, Nigeria’s leading daily newspaper in financial and business reportage as winner in the Toyota Nigeria Limited’s (TNL) “Best Motoring Journalist of the Year 2014.” The overall winner was made
- How Nigerian content policy benefits indigenous offshore oil, gas construction firms - Strides Energy and Maritime Limited, an indigenous oil and gas services company, is focused on developing local capacity in the off-shore sector of the industry and expanding into a pan-African player. MORITZ ABAZIE, its managing director, in this interview with Patrick Atuanya, addresses issues on the successes of the local content policy, schisms with the
- Audi continues on profitable growth trajectory - Ongoing investment offensive for new models, innovative technologies and expansion of worldwide manufacturing structures have now become the order of the day with Audi automaker. Despite challenging conditions and a record investment programme, Audi delivered a convincing performance in the first half of 2014, with solid key figures. In the period of January through June,
- Advert industry reform gets push on account of AAAN - Creative ad industry thrives on imaginative, unique, contemporary and distinctive messages. It must catch attention to make impact on the brand being promoted. But, when creative ad firms rely on fallacious contemporary information to create believable ad messages, then there is a question mark, not only on the ad firm but on the whole industry.
- Oshoala: I’m not under pressure to score After two player-of-the-match performances and three goals, and emerging as her team’s most influential player, Super Falconets midfielder Asisat Oshoala says she is not under pressure to continue her impressive form when they take on Korea DPR in their semi final duel today. [August 20, 2014]
- Falconets plan early goal against North Korea Falconets coach Peter Dedevbo has said he hopes his team score an early goal to unsettle North Korea in Wednesday’s U20 Women’s World Cup semi-final. [August 20, 2014]
- Nigeria invites Enyeama, 22 others for Devils, Bafana Cup holders Nigeria have called up 23 players, including ace goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama, for next month’s 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against the Red Devils of Congo and South Africa’s Bafana Bafana. [August 20, 2014]
- Sterling Bank offers Arsenal fans ‘Fantastic Experience’ The world-class performance of Arsenal Football Club, culminating in the winning of the Community Shield last weekend, is creating excitement in the clubs legions of supporters in the country. [August 20, 2014]
- Maigari confident Falconets will cruise into final President of Nigeria Football Federation, Alhaji Aminu Maigari has inspired players of the U-20 Women National Team, Falconets, with words of courage, saying he has confidence in them to reach Sunday’s championship final. [August 20, 2014]
- Ebola: CAF gives Nigeria all clear to host matches Nigeria has been given the all clear to host AFCON qualifying matches which begin next month after the Confederation of Africa Football (CAF) instructed Guinea, Sierra Leone, and Liberia to find neutral grounds for their matches. [August 19, 2014]
- Mourinho wants Cech to battle first choice Courtois Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho confirmed that goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will continue to play but expects long-standing number one Petr Cech to stay and fight for his place. [August 19, 2014]
- Top six La Liga signings of the transfer window Despite Spain’s failure to shine at the World Cup in Brazil, La Liga has again lured a host of world stars to Spanish shores in recent months with Real Madrid and Barcelona predictably leading the way. [August 19, 2014]
- I will never bite anyone again— Suarez Barcelona striker Luis Suarez said he has received professional help after receiving a four-month ban for biting an opponent for the third time in his career when he clashed with Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup. [August 19, 2014]
- Rwanda appeal CAF disqualification The Rwanda Football Federation on Tuesday appealed against its disqualification from 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers for fielding a player with double nationality. [August 19, 2014]
- Drama in NFA as Maigari, Umeh claim chairmanship position There was a mild drama yesterday at the secretariat of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as the impeached president of the NFF, Alhaji Aminu Maigari who was reinstated to his position last Friday by the Minister and Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr. Tamuno Danagogo resumed in his office. [August 19, 2014]
- 2016 Olympics: Navy, NOC join forces on ‘One-Service-One-Medal’ project The Nigerian Navy has expressed its readiness to collaborate with the Nigeria Olympics Committee (NOC) in grooming the country’s athletes through sponsorship of training to ensure optimum performance during the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil. [August 19, 2014]
- I defied Ebola, bombs to be in Nigeria – British coach A swimming coach, James Richards from Leeds in England is presently in Nigeria conducting a week-long technical coaching course put together by the Aquatic Federation of Nigeria for Nigerian coaches. [August 19, 2014]
- 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup: Falconets fear no foe – Coach Falconets coach Peter Dedevbo is upbeat his team can go all the way to the final of the FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup at the expense of North Korea on Wednesday. [August 18, 2014]
- Afcon 2015 Qualifier: Rwanda FA kicks against disqualification The Rwanda Football Federation (FERWFA) has said they will send an appeal to CAF after they were disqualified from the 2015 Africa Cup of nations (Afcon) qualifiers. [August 18, 2014]
- Maigari calls for extension of time for purchase of NFA elections’ forms Aminu Maigari, Chairman of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA), on Monday in Abuja called for an extension of time for the purchase of forms for the forthcoming NFA board elections. [August 18, 2014]
- Mourinho drops Cech Jose Mourinho has dropped veteran goalkeeeper, Petr Cech for Belgian starlet, Thibaut Courtois as Chelsea o-pen their EPL campaign against Burnley [August 18, 2014]
- Mikel will play— Mourinho Chelsea FC manager, Jose Mourinho, has maintained that Nigeria’s John Mikel Obi will be part of his team for the 2014/2015 English Premier League that started at the weekend. [August 18, 2014]
- Tension as Maigari resumes today Palpable tension has enveloped the Glass House, Abuja, the seat of football administration in the country as the re-instated President of the NFF, Alhaji Aminu Maigari prepares to resume today. [August 18, 2014]
- Nigeria maul New Zealand 4-1 to reach semis The Super Falconets of Nigeria defeated New Zealand in the quater final of the ongoing FIFA U-20 Women World Cup in Canada. [August 17, 2014]
- Democracy indoor game moves nationwide An Indoor Game aimed at entrenching democraic values in Nigeria is to be promoted through visits to elder statesmen, eminent citizens and media houses across the country. [August 17, 2014]
- 2015 African U-20 qualifier F/Eagles await CAF verdict THE Flying Eagles will wait on a final verdict from CAF to know if they have qualified for the 2015 African Youth Championship in Senegal. [August 17, 2014]
- Abia reaffirms support for De Commander’s unifying wrestling championship Abia State Governor, Dr. Theodore Orji, has pledged his government’s support for the forthcoming Commonwealth/Americas Unifying Wrestling Championship billed for Aba on August 31. [August 17, 2014]
- AFCON 2015: CAF disqualifies Rwanda for fielding ineligible player The Organising Committee of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), on Sunday disqualified Rwanda from the 2015 AFCON qualifiers. [August 17, 2014]
- Sturridge gives Liverpool opening win Daniel Sturridge snaffled a 79th-minute winner as last season’s Premier League runners-up Liverpool opened the new campaign with a 2-1 victory at home to Southampton on Sunday. [August 17, 2014]
- Lawyer sues FIFA over refs blunder A 74-year-old colombian lawyer, who claims refereeing at the 2014 World Cup partially caused his cardiac problems, is suing FIFA for 1billion. Aurelio Jimenez cited the Brazil-Colombia game, in which the standard of officiating was widely criticised, as one which caused him particular distress [August 17, 2014]
- Canada 2014: Okon hails Falconets •Keeps tab on team for players Super Falcons head coach, Edwin Okon says he is keenly following the performance of the national U-20 women team, the Falconets in the on-going FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Canada for two main reasons. It is his prayer that they go far enough in the competition, even to the final so that the girls would gain experience meeting teams from different parts of the world and their approach. [August 17, 2014]
- English Premier League results English Premier League results on Saturday, the opening day of the new top-flight season: [August 16, 2014]
- Van Gaal accepts blame as Man United crash Louis van Gaal accepted responsibility after Manchester United crashed to a 2-1 loss at home to Swansea City on Saturday in his first Premier League game as manager. [August 16, 2014]
- Moses joins Stoke City Chelsea’s Nigeria winger Victor Moses joined Stoke on a season-long loan on Saturday. [August 16, 2014]
- Danagogo to establish Court of Arbitration for Sports The Minister of Sports, Tammy Danagogo, has said that Nigeria will soon have a Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) to avoid taking sports cases to regular courts. [August 16, 2014]
- Nigeria not developing young talents- Ogunkoya As the African Championships ended Thursday in Marrakesh, Morocco Seun Ogunkoya nursed nostalgic feelings. At the same time, regrets rummaged through his mind because no Nigerian male sprinter could put up any serious challenge in the 100m final; an event Nigerians were once untouchables. [August 16, 2014]