- 11th-Hour Delay of Nigeria’s Presidential Election Disappoints Millions - The New York Times
- 11th-Hour Delay of Nigeria’s Presidential Election Disappoints Millions The New York Times
- Nigerians react with anger and confusion after presidential elections postponed CNN
- Nigeria electoral commission: polls delayed by transport problems Al Jazeera English
- Nigeria Postpones Presidential Election Hours Before Polls Were Set to Open The Wall Street Journal
- Three things to know about Nigeria’s delayed election The Punch
- View full coverage on Google News
- Eight killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria - Al Jazeera English Eight killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria Al Jazeera English
The attack comes hours before the electoral commission announced the postponement of Nigeria elections.
- Nigeria Delays Elections - NPR Nigeria Delays Elections NPR
Nigerians were to vote on Saturday, but the election was postponed by a week. The leading presidential contenders are two men are in their 70s in a nation ...
- Nigeria's disputed elections may become choice between 'bad and worse' amid oil sabotage, corruption and violence - CNBC Nigeria's disputed elections may become choice between 'bad and worse' amid oil sabotage, corruption and violence CNBC
As Nigerians prepare to pick a president and Parliament members, the oil market is bracing for the insecurity and violence that have historically marred elections ...
- Young and unemployed in Nigeria | Nigeria - Al Jazeera America Young and unemployed in Nigeria | Nigeria Al Jazeera America
Africa's most populous nation and largest economy has a youth unemployment problem. In Nigeria, nearly a quarter of the population is out of work and 20 ...
- Nigeria delays presidential election until Feb. 23 over unspecified ‘challenges’ - The Washington Post Nigeria delays presidential election until Feb. 23 over unspecified ‘challenges’ The Washington Post
YOLA, Nigeria — The attack came in the middle of dinner, and suddenly a calm night was filled with cries and Ruth Thama Gauji was fleeing again, her children ...
- 66 killed in Nigerian state before delayed presidential election - News24 66 killed in Nigerian state before delayed presidential election News24
Authorities in Nigeria's Kaduna state are reporting at least 66 deaths after a wave of violence just before the country's presidential election.
- Nigerian Presidential Election Delayed; Has 2 Front-Runners - NPR Nigerian Presidential Election Delayed; Has 2 Front-Runners NPR
Officials blame "challenges." In Africa's most populous country, President Muhammadu Buhari is trying to hold on to his position, and opposition leader Atiku ...
- Nigeria, South Africa and Ghana qualify for 2019 All African Games - Goal.com Nigeria, South Africa and Ghana qualify for 2019 All African Games Goal.com
African champions Nigeria, runners-up South Africa and Ghana have qualified for the 2019 All African Games women's football tournament billed for Morocco.
- Nigeria's Buhari calls for calm after election delay - News24 Nigeria's Buhari calls for calm after election delay News24
President Muhammadu Buhari has called for Nigerians "to refrain from all civil disorder and remain peaceful" after a last-minute postponement to Saturday's ...
- Buhari vs. Abubakar: Who Analysts See Winning Nigeria’s Vote - Bloomberg Buhari vs. Abubakar: Who Analysts See Winning Nigeria’s Vote Bloomberg
Whether President Muhammadu Buhari or his main opponent, Atiku Abubakar, will win Nigeria's election on Saturday has split analysts down the middle.
- EXTRA TIME: South Africa congratulates Amajita after beating Nigeria to third place in U20 Afcon - Goal.com EXTRA TIME: South Africa congratulates Amajita after beating Nigeria to third place in U20 Afcon Goal.com
The South African U20 team silenced their critics in the third-placed game in Nigeria late on Saturday afternoon.
- Nigeria’s Militarized Democracy Faces a Test at the Polls - The Atlantic Nigeria’s Militarized Democracy Faces a Test at the Polls The Atlantic
The country has been led by someone linked to the military for 48 of the 58 years since it gained independence.
- Postponed Elections : Nigeria will lose over N140bn - Vanguard Postponed Elections : Nigeria will lose over N140bn Vanguard
President, National Association of Nigerian Traders (NANTs) Mr Ken Ukaoha says the country will lose more than N140 billion due to the postponement of the ...
- Saturday will be Nigeria’s first WhatsApp election. Here’s what we’re learning about ‘fake news.’ - The Washington Post Saturday will be Nigeria’s first WhatsApp election. Here’s what we’re learning about ‘fake news.’ The Washington Post
WhatsApp's use as a tool for political campaigns and sharing fake news across the global south has become increasingly apparent in the past year. High-profile ...
- Mercy Akide-Udoh: African legend calls for more games for Nigeria's women - BBC Sport Mercy Akide-Udoh: African legend calls for more games for Nigeria's women BBC Sport
African legend Mercy Akide-Udoh, says preparation must be a priority for Nigeria's women's team to avoid an early exit at this year's Women's World Cup.
- Davido becomes first Nigerian panelist on Comedy Central ‘Roast’ - Vanguard Davido becomes first Nigerian panelist on Comedy Central ‘Roast’ Vanguard
Nigerian singer, Davido will become the first Nigerian to join the globally famous Comedy Central Roast. Davido has racked up numerous nominations and ...
- Five things about Nigeria: The superpower with no power - BBC News Five things about Nigeria: The superpower with no power BBC News
More than 84 million Nigerians are registered to vote, but what do you know about Africa's most-populous nation and largest economy?
- Nigeria rebels threaten more attacks if Buhari is reelected - Al Jazeera English Nigeria rebels threaten more attacks if Buhari is reelected Al Jazeera English
The Niger Delta Avengers hope to change Nigeria's president through polls, but threaten violence if vote fails.
- Nigeria's suspended chief justice denies assets charges - Aljazeera.com Nigeria's suspended chief justice denies assets charges Aljazeera.com
As Supreme Court head, judge Walter Onnoghen would have played a key role in any dispute over Saturday's elections.
- Enthusiasm as Nigeria votes today - Vanguard Enthusiasm as Nigeria votes today Vanguard
Millions of Nigerians go to the polls today to elect a president and a new National Assembly in an election that is expected to change the curve of low voter ...
- I came to Nigeria to buy a car but ended up spending five years - Vanguard I came to Nigeria to buy a car but ended up spending five years Vanguard
Visitors to Holy Trinity spa and health farm currently ranked as West Africa's largest health farm according to international medical hospitality ratings get ...
- Nigeria election 2019: The view from a Lagos commuter bus - BBC News Nigeria election 2019: The view from a Lagos commuter bus BBC News
Passengers on a commuter bus in Lagos explain their hopes for the future of the country.
- Job Creation Holds the Key to Nigeria's Future - Gallup Job Creation Holds the Key to Nigeria's Future Gallup
Former U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, Robin R. Sanders, discusses the changes in Nigeria since the last election and the challenges facing the country after the ...
- Elections: Prominent Nigerian families divided by politics - Premium Times Elections: Prominent Nigerian families divided by politics Premium Times
The Sarakis, the Obasanjos and the Okupes are some prominent families where relatives publicly support different candidates.
- Group with ISIS ties claims responsibility for attack on Nigerian governor's convoy - CNN Group with ISIS ties claims responsibility for attack on Nigerian governor's convoy CNN
Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) A terror group with links to ISIS has claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on a motorcade carrying a Nigerian state governor.
- Nollywood grants Nigerians election wish with ‘Code Wilo’ - Vanguard Nollywood grants Nigerians election wish with ‘Code Wilo’ Vanguard
From the Producers of the box office hit, 'The Eve' comes 'Code Wilo' a film perfect for the election period.
- Women shut out of Nigeria's poll by violence, fraud and sexism - The Standard Women shut out of Nigeria's poll by violence, fraud and sexism The Standard
Women were attacked, threatened with violence and forced to give up their places to men during the party primaries last year.
- Islamic State Wreaks Havoc as Turbulent Nigeria Nears Vote - Bloomberg Islamic State Wreaks Havoc as Turbulent Nigeria Nears Vote Bloomberg
Amina Sanusi was getting ready for morning prayers at her home in northeastern Nigeria when she heard gunshots and explosions.
- Former US President Clinton cancels trip to Nigeria ahead of elections - CNN Former US President Clinton cancels trip to Nigeria ahead of elections CNN
Clinton was scheduled to visit Nigeria's capital Abuja this week ahead of the country's presidential elections on February 16, alongside Baroness Patricia ...
- Nigeria's presidential candidates make final push - CNN Nigeria's presidential candidates make final push CNN
CNN's David McKenzie speaks to incumbent Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari and his main challenger Atiku Abubakar, getting rare access to both ...
- Nigeria stampede: Deaths at Buhari rally in Port Harcourt - BBC News Nigeria stampede: Deaths at Buhari rally in Port Harcourt BBC News
At least 15 people are killed after a crowd surges towards a gate at a Port Harcourt stadium.
- Nigerian elections 2019: Who's leaving the country? - BBC News Nigerian elections 2019: Who's leaving the country? BBC News
The opposition's presidential candidate said Nigerians are leaving "because there is no hope".
- At least 4 dead in stampede after presidential rally in Nigeria - CNN At least 4 dead in stampede after presidential rally in Nigeria CNN
Lagos, Nigeria (CNN) At least four people were killed Tuesday in a stampede that unfolded as Nigeria's President left a political rally just days ahead of his ...
- Nigerian Women Fight Skin-Lightning Movement - Voice of America Nigerian Women Fight Skin-Lightning Movement Voice of America
More people in Nigeria use skin-lightening products than any other country in the world. One movement is fighting to limit use of the products, some of which ...
- Nigeria decides: What postponement of election means - Kingsley Moghalu - Daily Post Nigeria Nigeria decides: What postponement of election means - Kingsley Moghalu Daily Post Nigeria
The Presidential candidate of the Young Progressives Party (YDP) Prof Kingsley Moghalu, has urged Nigerians to remain calm following the postponement of th.
- Nigeria's presidential candidate: 'I'm not corrupt' - CNN Nigeria's presidential candidate: 'I'm not corrupt' CNN
Nigeria opposition leader Atiku Abubakar hopes to become the next president. In an interview with CNN's Stephanie Busari, he tackles corruption claims head ...
- FOR THE RECORD: Nigeria's 73 presidential candidates (FULL LIST) - Premium Times FOR THE RECORD: Nigeria's 73 presidential candidates (FULL LIST) Premium Times
The 2019 presidential election will feature the highest number of candidates in Nigeria's history. Seventy-three out of the 91 registered political parties have ...
- UK Citizens Warned Against Travelling To 19 Nigerian States During Elections - SaharaReporters.com UK Citizens Warned Against Travelling To 19 Nigerian States During Elections SaharaReporters.com
In the latest foreign travel advice to its citizens, the UK noted that the movement warning is due to violence, which may arise because of high tension in these ...
- Police find 66 bodies in NW Nigeria: state governor - eNCA Police find 66 bodies in NW Nigeria: state governor eNCA
ABUJA, Nigeria - Authorities in northwest Nigeria on Friday said police had discovered the bodies of 66 people, including women and children, in an area ...
- Nigeria decides: Nigerian Government speaks on air travelers - Daily Post Nigeria Nigeria decides: Nigerian Government speaks on air travelers Daily Post Nigeria
The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) says the nation's airspace will remain open for flight operations in spite of Saturday's Presidential and Nati.
- Does Nigeria's 'generation democracy' want to vote? - BBC News Does Nigeria's 'generation democracy' want to vote? BBC News
Nigeria's first presidential election with a generation of voters who have only known democracy takes place next weekend. Up until 20 years ago, the country ...
- Nigeria: oil privatisation call exposes election divide - Financial Times Nigeria: oil privatisation call exposes election divide Financial Times
The incumbent Muhammadu Buhari and his main rival agree on the pressing need for reform but differ on how to achieve it.
- Okonjo-Iweala knocks INEC over 2019 election postponement - Legit.ng Okonjo-Iweala knocks INEC over 2019 election postponement Legit.ng
Legit.ng News ☆ Former finance and coordinating minister of the economy Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has slammed the Independent National Electoral Commission ...
- Nigeria decides: Reno Omokri tells Nigerians what to do if INEC postpones election - Daily Post Nigeria Nigeria decides: Reno Omokri tells Nigerians what to do if INEC postpones election Daily Post Nigeria
Reno Omokri, the former aide to ex-president Goodluck Jonathan, has reacted to reports that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC was set to.
- Militants Threaten Attacks On Nigeria's Oil If President Is Re-elected - OilPrice.com Militants Threaten Attacks On Nigeria's Oil If President Is Re-elected OilPrice.com
The Niger Delta Avengers (NDA)—the militant group responsible for most of the attacks on Nigeria's oil infrastructure in 2016—resurfaced days before the ...
- Countries Concerned by Suspension of Nigerian Chief Justice - TIME Countries Concerned by Suspension of Nigerian Chief Justice TIME
The U.S., U.K. and E.U. expressed concern after Nigeria's president suspended the country's chief justice before the presidential elections.
- Referendum not in Nigeria’s constitution —Umeh - Vanguard Referendum not in Nigeria’s constitution —Umeh Vanguard
Senator Victor Umeh, representing Anambra Central Senatorial zone of Anambra state has said that referendum is not provided for in the current constitution of ...
- Breaking: I’ve not fled Nigeria, still around to cast my vote – Obasanjo - Vanguard Breaking: I’ve not fled Nigeria, still around to cast my vote – Obasanjo Vanguard
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, has dismissed as untrue a rumour that he has fled the country in order not to participate in casting his vote during ...
- Nigeria's Election: What to Know - Council on Foreign Relations Nigeria's Election: What to Know Council on Foreign Relations
Tens of millions of Nigerians will head to the polls on February 16 to elect the next president and legislature of Africa's most populous country. After years of ...
- Nigeria to launch crucial elections - Aljazeera.com Nigeria to launch crucial elections Aljazeera.com
Africa's most populous nation will be voting in presidential and parliamentary elections on Saturday.
- Nigeria elections: Details of Nigerian military, Police, DSS meeting emerge - Daily Post Nigeria Nigeria elections: Details of Nigerian military, Police, DSS meeting emerge Daily Post Nigeria
The Nigerian military on Friday held a meeting with security and intelligence agencies. General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin, Chief of Defence Staff, in a st.
- Nigeria Faces ‘Lost Decade’ as Economic Growth Stagnates - Bloomberg Nigeria Faces ‘Lost Decade’ as Economic Growth Stagnates Bloomberg
Promises by Nigerian presidential candidates to fix an economy that vies with South Africa's to be the continent's largest could be unfulfilled unless the country is ...
- Nigeria Decides: House of Reps speaks as INEC postpones Presidential election - Daily Post Nigeria Nigeria Decides: House of Reps speaks as INEC postpones Presidential election Daily Post Nigeria
The House of Representatives, on Saturday decried the postponement of the general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission,INEC The ...
- Nigeria's Uche Agbo 'football more important than cash' - BBC Sport Nigeria's Uche Agbo 'football more important than cash' BBC Sport
Nigeria's Uche Agbo says he will not sacrifice his football ambition for money at this stage of his career after rejecting a move to China.
- Kidnappers murder Nigerian priest and demand ransom for release of his family - Anglicannews Kidnappers murder Nigerian priest and demand ransom for release of his family Anglicannews
Reports from Nigeria say that a priest from the Diocese of Sokoto has been murdered by kidnappers who are continuing to hold his family.
- Nigeria's Leader Faces Trouble From World's Worst Stocks - Bloomberg Nigeria's Leader Faces Trouble From World's Worst Stocks Bloomberg
Nigeria's stock market may rally if President Muhammadu Buhari loses this weekend's election, according to analysts at Citigroup, ending a run that's seen it fall ...
- Why chaos, violence continues in Nigeria's Kaduna state - IOL Why chaos, violence continues in Nigeria's Kaduna state IOL
Nigeria's Kaduna State has been embroiled in conflict for decades. The violence has its roots in ethnic tensions between the state's Muslim and non-Muslim ...
- Nigeria decides: What Gov. Ortom said about postponement of election - Daily Post Nigeria Nigeria decides: What Gov. Ortom said about postponement of election Daily Post Nigeria
Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has expressed disappointment over the postponement of the Presidential and National Assembly elections by the ...
- Atiku Abubakar - the Nigerian operator who knows how to make money - BBC News Atiku Abubakar - the Nigerian operator who knows how to make money BBC News
The man aiming to wrest the Nigerian presidency from Muhammadu Buhari has built a career circling the summits of public life. Atiku Abubakar has been a top ...
- Nigeria Expects $3 Billion in Diaspora Investment Funding - Bloomberg Nigeria Expects $3 Billion in Diaspora Investment Funding Bloomberg
Nigeria expects $3 billion in investment funding from citizens living mainly in the U.S. to support the agriculture, power, mining and transportation sectors, ...
- Nigeria’s Health Care Spending Lags Behind Abuja Declaration - VOA News Nigeria’s Health Care Spending Lags Behind Abuja Declaration VOA News
Nigerians pay about 70 percent of the hospital expenses out of their own pocket, forcing some patients into debt or poverty.
- Nigerians Bash CNN Over 'Old Men' Piece On Buhari, Atiku - SaharaReporters.com Nigerians Bash CNN Over 'Old Men' Piece On Buhari, Atiku SaharaReporters.com
Professor Remi Sonaiya, who once contested for Nigeria's number one seat, in a tweet via her handle @oluremisonaiya, said: “While we must make room for ...
- Aide to Delta governor shot dead - Guardian Nigeria Aide to Delta governor shot dead Guardian Nigeria
An aide to Delta State governor Ifeanyi Okowa, named Lawrence Ngozi Akpomiemie has been shot dead by unknown persons.The Guardian learnt that ...
- Taiwo Ogunjobi: Former Nigeria defender and official dies - BBC Sport Taiwo Ogunjobi: Former Nigeria defender and official dies BBC Sport
Former international defender and Nigeria Football Federation official Taiwo Ogunjobi dies suddenly after short illness.
- Comedian Akpororo acquires beautiful new mansion in Lagos (photos) - Legit.ng Comedian Akpororo acquires beautiful new mansion in Lagos (photos) Legit.ng
Legit.ng News ☆ Popular comedian, Akpororo, is one who has had a lot of positive things going for him since the inception of his career. He recently acquired ...
- Breaking: Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 11.37 per cent – NBS - Vanguard Breaking: Nigeria’s inflation rate drops to 11.37 per cent – NBS Vanguard
Nigeria inflation rate has dropped to 11.37 per cent in the month of January, reading a 0.07 percent points lower than (11.44) percent, the rate recorded in ...
- Bring Back our Girls activist Oby Ezekwesili withdraws from Nigeria's presidential race - CNN Bring Back our Girls activist Oby Ezekwesili withdraws from Nigeria's presidential race CNN
Bring Back our Girls activist and former Nigerian minister Oby Ezekwesili has withdrawn her candidacy from next month's presidential elections, a statement on ...
- Nigeria’s President Isn’t a Democrat. He’s a Liar. - Foreign Policy Nigeria’s President Isn’t a Democrat. He’s a Liar. Foreign Policy
As Nigerians gear up to choose their president on Feb. 16, there is good reason to fear a return to military-style dictatorship. Following incumbent Muhammadu ...
- The Nigerian king who cursed the sex traffickers - Mail and Guardian The Nigerian king who cursed the sex traffickers Mail and Guardian
Oba Ewuare II has made it his mission to halt human trafficking, which usually follows the migrant trail (below left) from Edo State in Nigeria, across Niger, Libya ...
- Nigeria election 2019: Why are some young people not voting? - BBC News Nigeria election 2019: Why are some young people not voting? BBC News
About half of the Nigerian electorate is under 35, but some say they won't vote on 16 February.
- A Brewing Constitutional Crisis in Nigeria - Council on Foreign Relations A Brewing Constitutional Crisis in Nigeria Council on Foreign Relations
Udo Jude Ilo is the Nigeria country representative for the Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA). Yemi Adamolekun is the executive director…
- Nigeria Signs $30 Billion Export-Financing Deal, ThisDay Reports - Bloomberg Nigeria Signs $30 Billion Export-Financing Deal, ThisDay Reports Bloomberg
Nigeria's federal government reached an export-financing agreement with investment partners to bring in as much as $30 billion from products manufactured in ...
- Nigeria's sickle cell disease drug Niprisan failed but may return - Quartz Nigeria's sickle cell disease drug Niprisan failed but may return Quartz
The successful development of a drug for the treatment of a sickle cell anaemia using a traditional herbal remedy by Nigerian scientists was widely regarded as ...
- 1000 Nigerians in Austria face repatriation - Vanguard 1000 Nigerians in Austria face repatriation Vanguard
ABUJA—Country Director-General, International Centre for Migration Policy Development, ICMPD, Michael Spindelegger, has said about 1000 Nigerians in ...
- Nigeria's new gusher just made OPEC compliance a little harder - WorldOil Nigeria's new gusher just made OPEC compliance a little harder WorldOil
Nigeria is about to ship the first cargo of crude oil from a new deposit about 90 mi off its coast.
- Yemi Osinbajo: Nigeria's vice president - TimesLIVE Yemi Osinbajo: Nigeria's vice president TimesLIVE
Yemi Osinbajo has played an increasingly prominent role in Nigeria's government since he was appointed as President Muhammadu Buhari's deputy in 2015.
- As Nigerians prepare for Saturday's elections, there are some figures essential to take note of. - Premium Times As Nigerians prepare for Saturday's elections, there are some figures essential to take note of. Premium Times
Crucial numbers Nigerians, observers should know for general elections.
- INEC to postpone tomorrow's elections - Premium Times INEC to postpone tomorrow's elections Premium Times
The postponement being considered is due to some logistics challenges being faced by INEC in many states. A new date is yet to be decided.
- Nigerian brothers arrested in Jussie Smollett attack - Page Six Nigerian brothers arrested in Jussie Smollett attack Page Six
The men, who weren't immediately identified, have not yet been charged.
- Yemi Osinbajo helicopter crash: Nigeria's VP thanks crew - BBC News Yemi Osinbajo helicopter crash: Nigeria's VP thanks crew BBC News
Nigeria's vice-president has said he is "safe and sound" after surviving a helicopter crash as he was on his way to an election campaign rally. Yemi Osinbajo ...
- Despite criticisms, Nigeria's attorney general insists on request to INEC to postpone Zamfara elections - Premium Times Despite criticisms, Nigeria's attorney general insists on request to INEC to postpone Zamfara elections Premium Times
The Attorney General of the Federation on Thursday defended his request to the electoral commission, INEC, to postpone general elections in Zamfara except ...
- In Nigeria, Trump administration policies bite hard - Devex In Nigeria, Trump administration policies bite hard Devex
ABUJA, Nigeria — At Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan, Nigeria, reproductive health supplies are kept in the special store located almost directly beneath the accident ...
- Peter Obi: Nigeria's new hope as vice president? - Daily Nation Peter Obi: Nigeria's new hope as vice president? Daily Nation
Abubakar, 72, has said he chose Obi because of his age and "vast knowledge" of economics.
- Swachh Nigeria - The Indian Express Swachh Nigeria The Indian Express
Swachh Bharat Mission is an inspiring model for eradicating open defecation.
- Nigeria decides: Full text of Buhari's speech to Nigerians - Daily Post Nigeria Nigeria decides: Full text of Buhari's speech to Nigerians Daily Post Nigeria
President Muhammadu Buhari has urged Nigerians to vote right in Saturday's presidential and national assembly elections. He also assured Nigerians of free,
- Any party that is not committed to restructuring does not wish Nigeria well —Umeh - The Punch Any party that is not committed to restructuring does not wish Nigeria well —Umeh The Punch
Senator Victor Umeh, representing Anambra Central in the Senate, is seeking re-election. Umeh, in this interview with TONY OKAFOR, says restructuring will ...
- It's Official - INEC Postpones All Nigeria's General Elections [Premium Times] The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Saturday postponed the presidential and national assembly elections as exclusively reported by PREMIUM TIMES.
- President Blames Oppositon For Election Postponement [Premium Times] Representative of the Ekeremo Senatorial West, Sen. Heineken Lokpobri; President Muhamadu Buhari; and Former Gov. of Bayelsa State, Timiperi sylver, during the APC presidential campaign rally in Bayelsa on Tuesday 12/2/19). 01340/12/2/2019/Anthony Okpu/ICE/NAN
- INEC Moves Voting Date After Reviewing Logistics [Daily Trust] Hours before voting commenced this morning in long-scheduled presidential and National Assembly elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) announced this morning that it is postponing the elections due to logistics issues. An announcement in the wee hours of today said the election will now hold on Saturday next week, February 23.
- Suspended Chief Justice Onnoghen Arraigned, Granted Bail [Leadership] Finally, the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, yesterday submitted himself to the Code of Conduct Tribunal sitting in Abuja for trial over alleged non-declaration of assets.
- Breaking - INEC Postpones Nigeria's Elections to Feb 23, March 9 [Daily Trust] The Independent National Electoral Commission in Nigeria (INEC) on Friday night announced a shift in the general elections dates to February 23 and March 9 respectively.
- Opposition's Candidate Atiku Blames Buhari for Election Postponement [Premium Times] The Peoples Democratic Party presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, on Saturday accused President Muhammadu Buhari of plotting to disenfranchise Nigerians, moments after the general elections were formally postponed.
- I Have Not Fled Nigeria - Obasanjo [Leadership] Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday, debunked rumours making the rounds that he has fled the country ahead of the presidential election scheduled for today.
- INEC Shifts Elections By One Week [Leadership] The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has postponed the 2019 general elections.
- Discovery of 'Thumb-Printed Ballots' May Hamper Polls' Credibility - Obasanjo [Daily Trust] A former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo on Friday expressed apprehension over alleged discovery of thumb-printed ballots in some part of the country, saying the development may hamper credibility of the election.
- PDP Kicks, Says Postponement of Polls, Ploy By Buhari to Cling to Power [This Day] Abuja -The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Uche Secondus, has said that shoddy arrangement for the election by INEC was a deliberate pre- determined agenda of President Muhammadu Buhari to cling to power even when it's obvious to him that Nigerians wanted him out.
- UK - Free, Fair Nigerian Elections Will Benefit Africa, the World [This Day] Few hours before the cancellation of Presidential and National Assembly elections scheduled for today, the British Government issued a statement saying it was important for the polls to be free and fair, "as this would benefit Africa and the world."
- Drama, as Onnoghen is Forced to Take Plea in the Dock [This Day] Abuja -The suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen, was eventually arraigned at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) yesterday on six count charge of refusal to declare his assets as required by the provisions of the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) Act for public officers in the country.
- Read INEC's Full Report on Postponement of Nigeria's Election [Vanguard] The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has postponed to February 23rd, the General election earlier scheduled for Saturday, February 16th, 2019.
- Why We Postponed Nigeria's Election to February 23 - INEC [Vanguard] The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has explained why it postponed the general elections earlier scheduled for Saturday, 16th February, 2019.
- INEC Finally Postpones Nigeria's General Election to February 23rd [Vanguard] The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has postponed to February 23rd, the General election earlier scheduled for Saturday, February 16th, 2019.
- Obasanjo Denies Fleeing Nigeria, Says He's Ready to Vote [This Day] Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has described as "fake news" the trending social media post that he had left Nigeria ahead of the elections beginning today.
- Elections Unite 1994, 2013 Eagles [Vanguard] Beyond the seeming altruistic posturings of the politicians, the overwhelming show of patriotism among Nigerians, particularly toward today's elections has restored some degree of hope in the citizenry regarding the future of their country.
- Voting Out Buhari to Save Nigeria is Sacred Duty, Says IYM [This Day] Umuahia -The Igbo Youths Movement yesterday urged voters in the botched polls to come out en mass to vote in the presidential and National Assembly elections today, saying that it had become imperative to vote out President Muhammadu Buhari in order "to save Nigeria".
- Election Materials Stolen, Burnt in 10 States, CUPP Alleges [This Day] Abuja -The Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) has raised the alarm over election materials stolen and burnt in over 10 states.
- Breaking - We Condemn INEC's Postponement of Nigeria's Election - APC [Vanguard] The All Progressives Congress, APC, has condemned the postponement of the general election by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
- Buhari Campaign Condemns the Postponement of Elections [Guardian] Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari's Campaign Organisation said the postponement of the 2019 general election by Independent National Electoral Commission is "a huge disappointment."
- INEC Postpones General Elections [Guardian] The Independent National Electoral Commission has postponed the presidential and National Assembly elections earlier scheduled for Saturday.
- PDP Rejects Election Postponement [Guardian] The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Prince Uche Secondus, has said that shoddy arrangement for this election by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, is a deliberate pre-determined agenda of President Muhammadu Buhari to cling on to power even when it's obvious to him that Nigerians want him out.
- PDP Condemns Poll Shift, Blames APC [Premium Times] The national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, on Saturday condemned the postponement of the 2019 general elections by the Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC).
- Inflation Dropped to 11.37% in January [Leadership] The rate at which the prices of goods and services in Nigeria rise, declined in January 2019 as the consumer price index (CPI), which measures inflation, increased by 11.37 per cent, at 0.07 per cent points lower than 11.44 per cent that was recorded in December 2018, according to figures released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), yesterday.
- Woman Burns Child's Buttocks Over Theft of Chewing Gum [Leadership] A housewife is facing jail sentence in Lagos for allegedly using red-hot knife to burn the buttocks of a 7-year-old child accused of stealing a neighbor's chewing gum.
- Police Nab Man for Raping Girl, 6, in Ogun [Leadership] A 44-year-old man, Rafiu Moruf, has been held by the police in Ogun State for allegedly having unlawful carnal knowledge of a 6-year-old girl.
- Stand-Up Comedy is Dying in Nigeria - Basket Mouth [Leadership] It was an engaging discourse at the Viacom International Media Networks Africa's (VIMN Africa) forum at recently concluded Social Media Week Lagos to discuss the future of content in Africa.
- Varsity Student Bags Jail Term as Valentine Gift [Leadership] A university student engaged in dating scam got his just desserts on Valentine Day.
- Nigerians in Diaspora Remittances Rise to U.S.$25 Billion [Leadership] With an estimated inflow of $25 billion remitted by Nigerians in diaspora in 2018, chief economist at PriceWaterCoopers (PwC) Nigeria, Prof Andrew Nevin, yesterday, said Nigeria's citizens living outside the country are its biggest export.
- Pineapple’s journey on the cloud South Africa’s first peer-to-peer insurance company, Pineapple was established in a bid to address customers need for simplified and on-demand services and better returns of value. In 2018, Pineapple launched the world’s first decentralised insurance offering. Described as a ‘digital stokvel’, Pineapple allows immediate distribution of insurance...
- ICASA chair gets 20 years in prison Rubben Mohlaloga, chair of the Independent Communications Authority of SA (ICASA), has received a 20-year prison sentence for money-laundering and fraud linked to a Land Bank scam amounting to R6-million. Mohlaloga, ANC MP and chair of the parliament’s...
- $300 mln Ghanaian smart cities project to enable nationwide Wifi network Celltel Networks, Roberta Annan Consulting (RAC) and Chinese government’s international cooperation company (CEIEC) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to collaborate in the execution of the $300 million Ghana Smart Cities project under the...
- Review: LG V40ThinQ, the perfect photography companion LG Electronic released the V40Thinq on the 7th of February this year. For this release, LG partnered with South African telecom operator, Vodacom to bring the phone to consumers. Among a number of fascinating features, the device sports a noticeable 5 camera...
- Uganda deports MTN CEO over national security The chief executive officer of MTN Uganda, a unit of South Africa’s MTN Group, has been deported from the East African country over national security, police said on Friday, 15 February. The development is the latest concern for the largest...
- Young, African entrepreneurs can now apply for the Anzisha Prize The Anzisha Prize program which is a partnership between African Leadership Academy and Mastercard Foundation has just launched the call for 2019 applications. The prize is looking for Africa’s most innovative social and business entrepreneurs between...
- Rwanda: Drones deliver medical supplies in remote areas Rwanda made headlines as the first country to pilot blood deliveries by drone. However, President Paul Kagame has not been credited enough with improving the Rwandan health system with the use of drones. The drones have been improved on and will increase...
- UBA, Google rollout Wifi hotspots in Nigeria The United Bank for Africa (UBA) has collaborated with Google and ISP partner to launch Google Station in 11 UBA branches in Lagos State as part of plans to roll out 200 stations in the country. Google Station, a platform for providing free, high-speed Wi-Fi...
- 34 percent of South African organisations are ready to comply with POPI Act Sophos, a network and endpoint security company, has revealed the findings of a new study that was commissioned to determine the state of POPI compliance within South African organisations. The POPI Act (Protection of Personal Information) promotes the...
- Ethiopia gets $40 mln healthcare boost from the US There are many barriers to residents obtaining proper health care in Ethiopia. It is estimated that 76 percent of Ethiopian women live in rural areas and do not have access to health care due to long traveling distances with lack of transportation. There...
- How to protect your heart and money from Romantic Phishing Kaspersky Lab experts have detected a sharp increase in phishing activities from criminals offering users various romantic goods on the eve of St. Valentine’s Day. The total number of user attempts to visit fraudulent websites with a romantic theme that...
- IoT Forum Africa 2019 set to boost potential sponsors Hosted by IT News Africa, IoT Forum Africa 2019 is shaping up to be bigger and better than ever. IoT Forum Africa 2019 will be taking place on 26 and 27 March 2019 at the Gallagher Convention Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa, where it aims to feature an...
- Students get the best in connectivity with Cell C’s MediaPlay The first month of university for South African students has kicked off and with it, students will begin to feel the effects of the high cost of education. While students have always struggled to afford basic necessities, today’s generation faces more...
- NCC fines telecos for violating regulation The Nigerian Communications Commission has fined four major network operators in the country a total of $205 394,40 for various infractions. The NCC had in 2018 highlighted some non-compliance by the network providers ‘such as the routing of a minimum...
- MTN selects Oracle Cloud Applications to drive digital transformation Mobile telecommunications company, MTN has chosen Oracle Cloud Applications to drive digital transformations across all its core business operations. The implementation will help MTN drive efficiency, scale operations and integration across its local and...
- 5 Tech Predictions for 2019 and beyond The tech market is already home to a range of smart hardware and software, but smart devices are set to become even more widespread in our day-to-day lives. 2018 was a year of exciting advancements and 2019 promises to be an even greater year when it comes...