Mexico-nabs-Beltran-Leyva-cartel-leader">July 4, 2015 : NAN
- We're Winning Against Boko Haram - Buhari [Premium Times] President Muhammadu Buhari, on Friday, said Nigeria is progressively winning the war against Boko Haram under the auspices of Multinational Forces with neighbouring countries.
- What Nigerians Think About New 'Luxury Tax' [Daily Trust] Godwin Okehi, student
- My Husband'll Change Living Condition of Nigerians - Aisha Buhari [Leadership] Wife of the president, Mrs Aisha Buhari, yesterday assured Nigerians that her husband would go the the extra mile to change the living standard of Nigerians for the better.
- Boko Haram Beheads 11 of Its Own Members - Witnesses [News24Wire] Islamist group Boko Haram on Friday beheaded 11 of its own fighters in north-eastern Nigeria, said an official representing witnesses to the killings.
- Nigeria Struck By New Wave of Boko Haram Atrocities [Al Jazeera] Boko Haram fighters have waged new attacks on a series of towns and villages, killing at least 160 people.
- Five Debut Nigerian Novels to Read in 2015 [African Arguments] Nigeria is an acknowledged giant in world literature. Whilst Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie are the usual suspects that may come to mind, new faces are continuously emerging on the literary scene with bracing new ideas and fresh new novels.
- APC Crisis - Oyegun Fumes At Allegations He Took Bribes to Back Saraki [Premium Times] The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress, John Odigie-Oyegun, has denied taking bribe to support the agenda of the lawmakers who became principal officers of the 8th Assembly against the wishes of his own party.
- Buhari Backtracks, Appoints New SSS Chief "Acting" DG [Premium Times] The new head of the State Security Service, Lawal Daura, appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari, will act in that capacity pending the appointment of a substantive Director General, the Head of Service has said.
- Domestic Airlines Must Code-Share With International Carriers to Survive [This Day] Aviation industry experts have posited that government must roll-back the multi entry given to international carriers and ensure they partner with their domestic counterparts for the later to benefit from revenues accruing from air passenger service in Nigeria.
- Buhari Will Release Ministerial List in Few Days - APC [Vanguard] Ilorin -The ruling All Progressives Congress(APC) has commended Nigerians for their patience and perseverance over the delay in the appointments of ministers,saying that the list would be released in few days.
- Proposed Siting of Nuclear Power Plant By Govt in Akwa Ibom Rejected [This Day] Uyo -The people of Akwa Ibom State have petitioned the state and federal governments rejecting the proposed siting of nuclear power plant in Itu Local Government Area of the state.
- Suicide Bombers Kill 11 On Borno Highways [This Day] The dreaded Boko Haram sect has taken to highways to unleash suicide bombers on Borno state.
- Delay in Appointment of Ministers - APC Lauds Nigerians On Patience [Vanguard] Ilorin -The ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, has commended Nigerians for their patience and perseverance over the delay in the appointments of ministers, saying that the list would be released soon.
- Cross River, Silverbird to Partner On Pageants [Leadership] The Cross River Government and Silverbird Group have signed a four-year contract for the hosting of two pageants in Calabar.
- Boko Haram Slits Throats of 11 Defecting Members [This Day] Eleven defecting members of the Boko Haram sect were slaughtered by the group in order to instill discipline among the members of the terror group, a member of the youth vigilante group, Abba Modu told our correspondent on phone in Maiduguri.
- Sandra Bassey Is Most Beautiful Model in Nigeria [Vanguard] 21-year-old Sandra Okon Bassey forth night ago wrote her name in gold as she emerged Most Beautiful Model Nigeria International. Sandra who was former Miss Niger Delta and the face of Independence Nigeria 2014, won the crown at this year's edition of the Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria and African Designers concert which was a choreographed show that showcased latest fashion concepts.
- NFF Will Continue Keshi's Probe, Despite CIV Snub - Green [Independent (Lagos)] Lagos -The last may not have been heard over the Super Eagles' head coach, Stephen Keshi, alleged application to coach the Elephants of Cote d'Ivoire.
- Love Scam - EFCC Returns 10,000 Euros to French Victim [Leadership] The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has recovered and returned the sum of 10,000 Euros (Ten Thousand Euros) about Two Million, Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira), to F. Mercade, a French citizen, who was a victim of internet love scam. The fund was wired to the victim through his account in France on the recommendation of the French Embassy in Nigeria.
- Nigeria's Ballot Revolution! [OSIWA] Tuesday March 31, 2015, at about 1 am, the Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room was looking less like a technical election-monitoring space and more like a mad house.
- Waje On a Kenyan Tour This July [The Star] MULTIPLE award winning Nigerian singer and actress Aituaje Iruobe otherwise known as Waje (below) will be in Kenya for her maiden East African tour.
- Taxi Drivers Should Obey Traffic Regulations - FCTA Official [Leadership] The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) Transport Secretariat has advised taxi drivers operating within the territory to always obey traffic regulations to avoid problems with the authority.
- Tinubu, Akande Absent At APC NEC Meeting [Vanguard] National leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC and former governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu is absent at the ongoing meeting of the National Executive Committee, NEC meeting of the party in Abuja.
- 15-Year-Old Female Suicide Bomber Kills 12 in Mosque - Witness, Vigilante [Vanguard] A young female suicide bomber killed 12 worshippers when she blew herself up in a mosque in northeastern Nigeria, a witness and a vigilante aiding the military against Boko Haram said Friday.
- Can Buhari Break the Solid Minerals Jinx? [Vanguard] Can plunder be taken from warriors, or captives rescued from the fierce? But this is what the Lord says: Yes captives will be taken from warriors, and plunder retrieved from the fierce ----Prophet Isaiah, in the Holy Bible.
- Accept Party Supremacy, Buhari Tells Senators, Reps [Vanguard] Abuja -President Muhammadu Buhari has told the All Progressives Congress lawmakers in the National Assembly to accept the party's supremacy in the interest of democracy.
- Judge Pays Fine for Convict He Jailed for Theft [Vanguard] A judge of Mararaba Grade 1 Area Court sitting in Nasarawa State, Mr Albert Maga, on Friday paid the N500 option fine he imposed on a convict.
- Contractor Abandons N42 Billion NILS Project - DG [Vanguard] Abuja -THE Director-General of the National Institute of Legislative Studies, NILS, Ladi Hamalai, yesterday disclosed that the contractor handling construction of the N42 billion permanent site project of the Institute has abandoned the project due to paucity of fund.
- Wike, Ekweremadu Differ With Jonathan, Wife Over John Eno, Sekibo [Vanguard] Abuja -Strong indications emerged yesterday that barely twenty fours after the opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP rolled out its zoning arrangement for principal offices in the National Assembly, crisis looms over who should take these positions.
- N195 Billion Pension Scam - EFCC Arrests Maina's Secretary [Vanguard] The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has made an important inroad in its effort to trace and bring to justice the former Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reform, Abdulrasheed Maina.
- No to Handouts [Vanguard] I AM tempted to dance naked for the new regime in Nigeria under the leadership of the venerable Muhammadu Buhari. Why? I am inebriated by the grandiose social safety net programmes that are about to be rolled out in the near future for the betterment of the ordinary Nigerian!
- Patience Ozokwor, Mama G Becomes Glo Ambassador
- Queen Liz Benson Ameye, Chiwetalu Agu, Yul Edochie Star In The Palace Nollywood TV Series
- Omotola Jalade Still On Vacation In Los Angeles, California [PHOTOS]
- Photo: Monalisa Chinda Shows Off Natural Hair
- Nollywood Actor Hank Anuku’s Sister Rita Anuku Is Dead: Miss Nigeria 1986 Dies Of Cancer In Abuja
- Omotola Jalade & Genevieve Nnaji Still Fighting, They’re Jealous Of Each Other – Filmmaker
- Uche Ogbodo Fights Lagos Club Employee For Insulting Her By Giving Her Cheap Champagne
- Odunlade Adekola Releases Alani Pamolekun Yoruba Movie Part 2, Part 3 In Progress
- Tania Nollywood Yoruba Movie Trailer: See Femi Adebayo, Baba Suwe & Others In Action
- Photos: Clem Ohameze, Samuel Nnabuike,Ebele Okaro On “The Bible” Nollywood Movie Set
- Nollywood Actor IK Ogbonna’s Wife Shares Adorable Photos Of Baby Ace
- Photos From Late Nollywood Pioneer Filmmaker Francis Oladele’s Burial
- Photos: Chiwetalu Agu Rocks Flavour Nabania’s Dreads On True Fan Nollywood Movie Set
- Boko Haram Beheaded 11 Runaway Members Infront Of Villagers To Discourage Further Defection
- Photos: Borno Villagers Flee Their Homes At Night After Boko Haram Attacked Nearby Village
- Photos: Nigerian Died In Police Custody In Vienna Austria “He Was Tortured To Death” – Wife Alleges
- Ojo Lagos Boat Accident Survivors Narrate How Speeding Boat Crushed Victims To Death
- Photo: Woman, CAC Member Kidnapped In Ikorodu Lagos – Gbemisola Basorun Is Sick – Husband Cries Out
- Robot Killed Human In Kassel Germany: Auto Worker Crushed To Death At Volkswagen’s Plant
- Photo: Poor Husband Abandons Wife With 3 Set Of Twins (6 Kids) In Agege Lagos Nigeria
- Kogi State University KSU Denies Library Earthquake Rumour
- Secondary School Student Stabbed Teacher For Punishing Girlfriend In Nsukka Enugu State
- Aiye Confraternity Cult Leaders Killed In Delta, 4 Students Arrested Enroute To Initiation Ceremony
- Boko Haram Terrorists Executed 145 People In Borno Villages In 2 Days
- Ex-Benue Governor Gabriel Suswam Arrested In London UK For Beating Wife Over Girlfriend
- Photos: Banned Petrol Hawkers Return To Obasanjo Way Abuja
The Central Bank of Nigeria has defended its decision to stop the use of foreign exchange for the importation of certain goods. This is contained in a statement signed by the CBN Director of Corporate Communications, Ibrahim Muazu, in Abuja on Friday. The statement, which was made available to the News Agency of Nigeria, said… [Read More…]
Mexico nabs Beltran Leyva cartel leader The alleged co-leader of the once-mighty Beltran Leyva drug cartel, who is wanted in the United States, was arrested in Mexico City where he had gone to celebrate his birthday, authorities said. Martin Villegas Navarrete, 38, was detained “without a shot fired” in a trendy district of the capital, where he had traveled to from 2-Comments-
A-French-soldier-accused-of-sexually-abusing-two-girls-aged-three-and-five-in-Burkina-Faso-was-charged-Friday-in-Paris,-a-judicial-source-told-AFP.-The-man,-38,-was-charged-for-sexually-abusing-a-minor-and-for-recording-images-of-a-pornographic-nature-involving-a-minor,-the-source-said.-A-second-soldier-who-had… [Read-More…]-AU-forces-deny-retreat-from-Al-Shabaab-in-Somalia">July 4, 2015 : AFP
A French soldier accused of sexually abusing two girls aged three and five in Burkina Faso was charged Friday in Paris, a judicial source told AFP. The man, 38, was charged for sexually abusing a minor and for recording images of a pornographic nature involving a minor, the source said. A second soldier who had… [Read More…]
AU forces deny retreat from Al-Shabaab in Somalia Africa Union peacekeepers in Somalia on Friday denied reports they have vacated key towns and locations in southern region following a string of attacks by Al- Shabaab fighters. The Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (SRCC) for Somalia and Head of AMISOM, Maman Sidikou said no AU troops have pulled back Leave-a-Comment-
Philippine-police-have-filed-murder-charges-against-the-owners-and-crew-of-a-passenger-ferry-that-capsized-and-left-dozens-dead,-an-official-said-Saturday.-The-charges-were-filed-late-on-Friday-in-the-central-city-of-Ormoc-over-the-sinking-of-the-Kim-Nirvana-vessel,-according-to-regional-police-head-Chief-Superintendent-Asher-Dolina.-We-mustnt-disappoint-Nigerians,-Buhari-tells-APC-leaders">July 4, 2015 : AFP
Philippine police have filed murder charges against the owners and crew of a passenger ferry that capsized and left dozens dead, an official said Saturday. The charges were filed late on Friday in the central city of Ormoc over the sinking of the Kim Nirvana vessel, according to regional police head Chief Superintendent Asher Dolina.
We mustnt disappoint Nigerians, Buhari tells APC leaders President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday urged leaders of the All Progressives Congress to quickly resolve the internal crisis within the party. He said they must avoid disappointing Nigerians. A statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, quoted the President as speaking while addressing members of the National Executive Committee of 19-Comments-
Strong-indications-emerged-on-Friday-that-a-former-Akwa-Ibom-State-Governor,-Senator-Godswill-Akpabio,-may-emerge-as-the-Senate-Minority-Leader-when-the-upper-chamber-resumes-on-July-21.-Akpabio-is-a-first-time-senator.-A-senator,-who-disclosed-the-development-to-our-correspondent-in-Abuja,-said-Akpabio-started-making-the-move-immediately-after… [Read-More…]-Powerful-forces-behind-APC-crisis-–-Durojaiye">July 4, 2015 : Sunday Aborisade
Strong indications emerged on Friday that a former Akwa Ibom State Governor, Senator Godswill Akpabio, may emerge as the Senate Minority Leader when the upper chamber resumes on July 21. Akpabio is a first time senator. A senator, who disclosed the development to our correspondent in Abuja, said Akpabio started making the move immediately after… [Read More…]
Powerful forces behind APC crisis – Durojaiye A former member of the Senate, Olabiyi Durojaiye, has identified the antics of some powerful forces longing to disrupt the programmes of the ruling All Progressives Congress as responsible for the crisis in the party. The ex-lawmaker, who stated this in a statement sent via email to our correspondent, however urged party members to look 20-Comments-
The-Senate-President,-Dr.-Bukola-Saraki,-on-Friday-met-with-about-25-states-chairmen-of-the-APC-who-visited-him-in-his-office.-They-were-led-by-the-Chairman-of-the-Kano-State-chapter-of-the-party,-Alhaji-Haruna-Doguwa.-Details-of-the-meeting-were-not-known-but-a-source-close-to-Saraki-confided-in… [Read-More…]-ARG,-ACF,-Ohanaeze-differ-over-fuel-subsidy-removal">July 4, 2015 : John Alechenu, John Ameh, Sunday Aborisade and Jesusegun Alagbe
The Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, on Friday met with about 25 states chairmen of the APC who visited him in his office. They were led by the Chairman of the Kano State chapter of the party, Alhaji Haruna Doguwa. Details of the meeting were not known but a source close to Saraki confided in… [Read More…]
ARG, ACF, Ohanaeze differ over fuel subsidy removal The Afenifere Renewal Group, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo and the Arewa Consultative Forum on Thursday differed on the recommendation of the Ahmed Joda-led transition committee which asked President Muhammadu Buhari to remove fuel subsidy. The ARG, which backed committees recommendation, described the subsidy regime as anti-people and a gang up against the collective interest of Nigeria 16-Comments-
The-Acting-Chairman,-Independent-National-Electoral-Commission,-Mrs.-Amina-Zakari,-has-said-that-the-commission-will-recommend-the-Residency-Card-Initiative-of-Ondo-State-government-to-the-Federal-Government-for-adoption-by-the-commission.-The-Residency-Card-Initiative,-also-known-as-Kaadi-Igbeayo,-is-an-initiative-of-the-state-government-to-capture-the-data-of… [Read-More…]-Oyo-lawmaker-resolves-youths-protest-against-IBEDC">July 4, 2015 : Tunde Ajaja
The Acting Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, Mrs. Amina Zakari, has said that the commission will recommend the Residency Card Initiative of Ondo State government to the Federal Government for adoption by the commission. The Residency Card Initiative, also known as Kaadi Igbeayo, is an initiative of the state government to capture the data of… [Read More…]
Oyo lawmaker resolves youths protest against IBEDC A member of the Oyo State House of Assembly representing Ibadan South East II Constituency, Ademola Ige, averted an ugly incident in the Felele area of the state recently when he calmed protesting youths who were expressing anger over power outage. Staff of the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company had to abandon their office for fear
- IT News Africa: Top Tech Stories of the Week Making waves in the headlines this week was MTN South Africa. The mobile operator has allegedly filed criminal charges against a group of striking Communication Workers Union (CWU) members, who on 27 June 2015 allegedly attacked an MTN retail outlet. Also making the headlines this week was social media giant Facebook. Facebook has opened up [&hellip...
- Kenya: Schools in Nairobi get free internet Wananchi Group, owner of Pay Tv company Zuku, is installing free, unlimited, high-speed fixed internet to over 2,000 public and private schools in Nairobi County. Through a partnership with Kenya Education Network (KENET) and the County Government of Nairobi,...
- Airtel rakes in USD 1.3 bln from tower sale in Africa Bharti Airtel has revealed that it has raised USD 1.3 billion with the sale of various mobile towers in five African countries. According to the company, the total proceeds from the transactions will be utilised to reduce the debt of the company. In February...
- Orange connects Benin to ACE submarine cable Orange together with the other members of the ACE consortium, have announced the launch of the ACE cable in Cotonou, Benin and Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain. The connection of these two stations is part of the second phase of deployment of the ACE...
- Huawei unveils P8 smartphone in South Africa Huawei unveiled its latest device, the P8 Smartphone, on the 2nd of July 2015, at the Johannesburg Country Club. According to the company, Johannesburg is the latest stop in a worldwide tour that has included stops in Bangkok, Singapore, New York and London....
- Winners of the African EduWeek Awards revealed The SpellAfrica Initiative from Nigeria and technology company Edit Microsystems are just some of the winners announced at the inaugural African EduWeek Awards. The awards showcased the most innovative and life-changing projects, organisations, companies,...
- Review: BlackBerry Leap BlackBerry has launched its latest smartphone, the BlackBerry Leap, in Nigeria and South Africa. However, does the latest device from BlackBerry stand out in the crowd, or is it just another generic smartphone? IT News Africa has spent some time with the...
- How to tell if your Smartphone is the real deal Counterfeit goods have become an increasingly worrying problem in Africa. Not only is the clothing industry suffering under the scourge of counterfeit goods, but the Electronics industry has also been under fire. Consumers who purchase a smartphone device...
- Calculating the real cost of IT The initial cost of a company laptop represents less than 30 percent of the total cost of owning and using it. The remaining 70 percent is often ignored by companies because these costs form part of the ‘background’ cost of IT. This is according to...
- Huawei launches Digital inCloud centre in Africa Huawei has revealed the launch of their Digital inCloud Eastern and Southern Africa regional center at the 5th Annual VAS Africa summit. The event attracted over 70 carriers and Service Providers (SPs)/ Content Providers (CPs) in the region. According to...
- Nigeria: Telecoms contribute NGN 1.34 bln to economy in Q1 The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has revealed that the telecommunication sector contributed NGN 1.34 billion to the Nigerian economy in the first quarter of the year. According to the report, NBS found that the sector records a monthly growth rate...
- South Africa: Internet users to reach 27 mln by 2019 South Africa is expected to see a rise in internet traffic as more people switch to smartphones and smart devices. This is according to the Cisco Visual Networking Index 2015, which was revealed by Fin24. The report forecasts that the number of internet...
- MTN SA files charges against attackers MTN South Africa has filed criminal charges against a group of striking Communication Workers Union (CWU) members, who on 27 June 2015 allegedly attacked an MTN retail outlet. The attackers allegedly assaulted and intimidated staff in the process. The CWU has...
- Buses in South Africa get free Wi-Fi Radwin, a provider of sub-6 GHz broadband wireless solutions, has revealed that the City of Tshwane in South Africa is using its FiberinMotion wireless mobility solution to provide free Wi-Fi onboard city buses – up to 100 Mbps throughput per bus....
- Acer Africa appoints new country manager Acer Africa has revealed the appointment of Paul Collins as the new Acer Africa Country Manager. Paul previously held the position of Commercial Channel Manager within the business and in his new role as Country Manager, Collins will focus on the Acer growth...
- Last chance to enter 2015 MTN Business App of the Year Awards South Africa’s best and brightest app developers have less than a week to submit their apps to the MTN Business App of the Year Awards. Entries close on 3 July 2015. The MTN Business App of the Year Awards is the premiere app awards event in South Africa...
How I influenced Awolowo to change his will – Osunkoya, Awo’s Chief Librarian
Otunba Gbolade Osunkoya is the former Chairman, Ogun State Library Management Board and erstwhile Special… ...Saraki, Lawan, Dogara, Gbajabiamila resolve differences
FROM IHEANACHO NWOSU,ABUJA The leadership crisis rocking the National Assembly has been resolved , All… ...Don’t use govt fund to celebrate my birthday – Okowa
■ Swears in 12 commissioners, 5 SAs FROM PAUL OSUYI, ASABA Delta State governor, Ifeanyi… ...Enugu Federal constituency: Ugwuegede challenges Appeal Court judgment
FROM: TAIWO AMODU, ABUJA The impasse over the authentic candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP)… ...Why I teach despite being the VC – Prof Edeoga
Hilary Odo Edeoga, professor of plant taxonomy and cytogenetics, is the Vice-Chancellor, the fourth since… ...BUHARI’S PRESIDENCY GOOD FOR BORNO –Gov. Shettima
Historically, Borno State has never been in the same party with the government at the centre. Therefore, any time election was approaching, the need for Borno to be brought into the mainstream politics was usually the campaign thrust of the opposition party in the State. ...N/Assembly crisis: Call Dogara to order, Gbajabiamila’s faction tells Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday met with former minority leader in the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, and 29 of his supporters in a bid to end the leadership tussle in the House that has polarized the party. ...Rivers CP withdraws Police aides from politicians
New Commissioner of Police in Rivers State, Mr. Chris Ezike, has ordered the immediate withdrawal of policemen attached to politicians and individuals with immediate effect. ...N/Assembly crisis: APC planned to blackmail Saraki, Ekweremadu –HURIWA
Human Rights Writers Association (HURIWA) has urged Nigerians to be vigilant of alleged plan by All Progressives Congress (APC) leadership to blackmail the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, and the Deputy Senate President, Senator Ekweremadu, to submission. ...NASS: Ekweremadu’s emergence, blessing in disguise –Enugu APC chair
Dr. Ben Nwoye chairman, Enugu State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC). Speaks on the crises in the National Assembly (NASS) and the party, saying that the emergence of Ike Ekweremmadu of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as the Deputy Senate President is a blessing in disguise. ...Outrage as ex-OAU student transforms to woman
■ Nigerians take to social media over Dapo’s new identity, blame parents ■ How he… ...Eight days after, OOU community still in shock
Gloom pervades university over loss of 12 students in auto crash FROM SEGUN OLATUNJI, ABEOKUTA… ...Boko Haram: Latest attack inhuman, barbaric
FROM JULIANA TAIWO-OBALONYE, ABUJA President Muhammadu Buhari has described as most inhuman and barbaric, the murder… ...Our father was killed when we needed him most –Children of Prof Ilemobade, ex-FUTA VC lament
■ As family, church members rain curses on killers FROM BAMIGBOLA GBOLAGUNTE, AKURE We e… ...63-year-old man arraigned for infecting step-daughter with HIV
FROM SEGUN OLATUNJI, ABEOKUTA A 63-year old man, Alabi Ibrahim was on Friday re-arraigned before a state… ...Smugglers fret as customs bare fangs in Kaduna, Katsina
International borders in Kaduna –Katsina States Area Command of the Nigeria Customs Service are currently witnessing intense surveillance by the officers and men of the Command, a development that has left ignoble importers with little or no window. ...NARROW ESCAPE
But for divine providence, the families of many pupils of a nursery and primary school in Okota area of Lagos State could have been thrown into mourning by now. ...National Assembly principal positions: Buhari keeps Dogara, Gbajabiamila in the dark
Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara and some members of All Progressives Congress (APC) caucus in the chamber who are up in arms over principal position in the green chamber are in the dark over the stand of President Muhammadu Buhari, Daily Sun gathered. ...Buhari pledges investment-friendly environment
President Muhammadu Buhari has assured that his administration will take necessary actions to improve the operating environment for domestic and international companies in the country as part of its efforts to boost employment. ...Ugwuanyi names 12-member urban renewal committee
Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi of Enugu State yesterday announced the list of 12 persons appointed to serve in the Nsukka Urban Renewal Committee to modernise the university town. ...Economic devt: NECA drums support for Buhari
In a bid to reposition Africa’s economic giant, the Nigeria Employers Consultative Association (NECA), ...FX restriction on 41 items: Time for honest conversation
Although the recent decision by the Central Bank of Nigeria ( CBN) to bar banks and bureau de changes from extending foreign exchange to importers of 41 restricted items may be considered an unpopular policy by stakeholders in the import sector, it is by all intent, one of the most ...Import restriction: CBN alarmed over cross-border cash export
In what could be termed an attempt to sabotage its recent policy of excluding over 41 imported items from the foreign exchange window, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday raised the alarm over the discovery of large sums of cash being transported through the borders following its foreign exchange denial to importers of restricted products. ...FG rakes in N1.8trn in 6 months –FIRS
Acting Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Samuel Ogungbesan, yesterday said the Federal Government got about N1.842 trillion revenue generated from taxes in the first half of 2015. ...Economic crunch: Politicians urged to be prudent in managing Nigeria’s resources
FROM CLEMENT ADEYI, OSOGBO Following the economic crunch that has hit the country lately, culminating… ...Fuel scarcity returns to Lagos, Abia, Abuja
… NNPC allays fears By ADEWALE SANYAOLU Fuel queues have returned to major parts of Lagos… ...Budgeting: World Bank approves $200m for Lagos
From ISAAC ANUMIHE, Abuja The World Bank yesterday, approved $200 million credit to Lagos State… ...Our problem with GTBank –Innoson
The management of foremost auto manufacturer, Innoson Nigeria Limited, has been speaking on the circumstances… ...Many thought I’ll fail –Prince Nebe, Pharmatex boss
Pharmatex might not be a household name yet it is a brand that has grown… ...Alleged $2.1bn ECA spend: Okonjo-Iweala ready to explain
Former Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has refuted the allegation of $2.1 billion ...Mama G, Wizkid, AY, Odunlade, others join Glo as brand ambassadors
Telecommunications solutions provider, Globacom has signed-on Nigerian star actress, Patience Ozokwor, popularly called , Mama… ...Breaking news: Victor Essiet of Mandators Fame Kidnapped
Victor Essiet of the Mandators Fame has been Kidnapped in Nsit Ubiom area of Akwa… ...I enjoy marathon sex –Tamilore Ojo Martins, actress/movie producer
BY DAMILOLA FATUNMISE Actress cum movie producer, Tamilore Ojo Martins, is not one to shy… ...Why I want to work with Flavour –M Young
By DAMILOLA FATUNMISE Up-and-coming R&B singer, M Young, is dreaming big. In this chat with… ...My Michael Jackson moment –De’boyed
.Set to drop album America-based Nigerian singer, D’eboyed, has recounted the day he met and… ...What mum told me about sex – Adaora Ukoh
Plus size actress and star of popular soap opera, Lekki Wives, Adaora Ukoh, finally cleared… ...My Lesbian ordeal –Sochima Ezeoke, actress
By CHUKS EZE Dazzling Imo State-born actress, Sochima Ezeoke, has narrated her ordeal in the… ...Tee Mac slams Pretty Okafor!
‘Abuja land documents still with me’ By TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Former Performing Musicians’ Association of… ...Real reason Oritsefemi fell for Adasounds
By TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE It has emerged that the real reason self styled Musical Taliban,… ...Taylor Swift agrees to stream ‘1989’ on Apple Music
Taylor Swift on Thursday announced that she had dropped her opposition to release her latest… ...
- Transcorp to spend $1.575 bln to boost power capacity by 2018 - Transcorp plans to spend $1.575 billion to quadruple its power capacity to 2,500 megawatts (MW) over the next three years and provide a quarter of all power generated in Nigeria. Transcorp, which also has interests in hotels, oil and gas, has the capacity to generate 610 MW and intends to raise that to 850 MW
- Orange links Nigeria with two more countries on $700m cable - Orange, a leading multinational telecoms operator, on Thursday, announced the connection of Benin Republic and the Canary Islands to the Africa Coast to Europe (ACE) submarine cable, linking them on the digital facility with Nigeria and other preexisting user countries. An essential part of the Group’s broadband network in Africa, the cable’s construction amounts to
- ‘Sustainable profit, cash flow key to optimal financial performance’ - For any business to reach its opti- mal financial per- formance, it must achieve sustainable growth in profit, strong cash flow and optimal capital, which has to be measured and managed over time. This was the position of Henry Machame, a finan- cial expert and consultant, during the CEO Business Strategy Session organised by FROT
- Terminal operator bemoans inconsistent policies at ports - … as Council set to audit operators Rigo Nazzari, general manager, Five Star Logistics Limited, yesterday, said inconsistent government policies at ports had been having adverse effects on operations of the terminal, as the Nigerian Shippers’ Council (NSC) unveiled its plan to audit the operations of private terminal operators to attain operational efficiency. Nazzari said
- NAHCO’s new tariff receives NCAA’s approval - The Nigerian Civil Aviation Author- ity (NCAA) has ap- proved the recent 20 percent cargo tariff increase being implemented by the Nigerian Aviation Handling Company plc (NAHCO Aviance). Tayo Ajakaye, manager, communications and cor- porate services of NAHCO, said this in a statement on Wednesday in Lagos. NAH- CO provides aircraft, pas- senger, and cargo
- SevenUp Bottling says 2015 pretax profit up 14.8 pct - Nigeria’s Seven-Up Bottling Co said on Tuesday its pretax profit in the year to March 31 rose to 8.75 billion naira ($44 million), up 14.8 percent from the previous year. Revenue rose to 82.45 billion naira during the 12-month period from 77.89 billion naira, the company said in a filing with the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
- Sokoto Cement Company earmarks N 48 bn. for expansion project - The Cement Company of Northern Nigeria (CCCN), on Tuesday said it would inject N48 billion into the ongoing modernisation of its facilities meant to double its production capacity. Managing Director of the company, Alf Karlsen disclosed this in Wamakko, Sokoto State while distributing 2,600 bags of cement worth N6 million to 60 communities, as part
- Novartis buys pain drug firm Spinifex - Swiss drug-maker Novartis AG boosted its presence in pain management on Monday by agreeing to buy U.S.-Australian biotech firm, Spinifex Pharmaceuticals, the companies said in separate statements on Monday. Spinifex said Novartis was paying $200 million upfront and Spinifex shareholders could get further payments based on clinical development and regulatory milestones. The transaction is expected
- PZ Cussons to deepen profit with improvement in Nigeria - PZ Cussons, producer of Imperial Leather soap, brushed off concerns about trading in Nigeria, its biggest market, saying at the week- end that full-year profits would be in line with market expectations. The update by the Man- chester-based group indi- cated that trading in Nigeria had improved in the sec- ond half of its financial
- Unverifiable addresses hinders registration of workers in the informal sector - The National Pension Commission (PENCOM) on Wednesday said it had not been able to register workers in the informal sectors due to unverifiable contact addresses. Mr Buala Saliu, Assistant General Manager, Compliance and Enforcement, PENCOM, made this known at an interactive meeting organised in collaboration with the Nigeria Employers’ Consultative Association (NECA) in Lagos. The