- Buhari in Good Stead to Win 2019 Election - Presidency [Daily Trust] The outcome of last Saturday's by-elections in Bauchi,Katsina and Kogi States have placed President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo in good stead to win next year's election, the presidency said today.
- Saraki Keeps Mum After Two-Hour Meeting With Obasanjo [Daily Trust] Senate President, Bukola Saraki met with former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo behind-closed doors at his Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) on Monday.
- Opposition Party Is Behaving Like a Militant Organisation - Presidency [Vanguard] The Presidency on Monday said that the opposition Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, was behaving like a militant group instead of following the democratic tenets in its activities on national issues.
- Aisha Buhari Bags Doctorate Award [Vanguard] Wife of the President, Mrs. Aisha Buhari, will on Monday be honoured with a Doctorate in Humanity by Sun Moon University, Asan, South Korea.
- Nigerian Joblessness At All-Time High? Checking a Politician's Claims [Africa Check] Joining the presidential race, former Nigerian vice-president Atiku Abubakar took aim at the ruling party for what he said was its poor management of the economy.
- Nigerian Soldiers Fighting Boko Haram Protest, Seize Airport - Army Reacts [Premium Times] The Nigerian Army said calm has been restored at Maiduguri Airport seized for two hours on Sunday by riotous troops, that it described as 'unscrupulous".
- Trump Writes Naija Standard Newspaper [Guardian] President of United States (U.S.), Donald Trump, has officially acknowledged the positive impact and national importance of a book titled 'Using Cyber security to Expose Fake News, Stop Hackers through Investigative Journalism' as America's mid-term November election comes knocking.
- Herdsmen Murdered in Nigeria Retaliatory Attacks [CAJ News] Abuja -AT least 21 cattle traders have reportedly been killed in central Nigeria in what is alleged to be reprisal killings by villagers.
- Fire Razes 21 Shops At Fish Market in Maiduguri [Daily Trust] An outburst of fire razed about 21 shops at Fish Market in Maiduguri on Sunday night.
- 'Nigerians Killing One Another in South Africa' [Daily Trust] Minna -The immediate past Nigeria Ambassador to South Africa, Ahmed Ibeto has disclosed that the recurring incidences of murder involving Nigerians were being carried out by Nigerians themselves contrary to claims of xenophobic attacks.
- I Will Restructure Nigeria If Elected President - Makarfi [Premium Times] A Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential aspirant, Ahmed Markafi, has promised to restructure Nigeria to the best interest of every citizen if elected next year.
- 'Why It Is Hard for Igbo to Produce Nigeria's President' [Premium Times] The Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, says it has been difficult for an Igbo to become president of Nigeria because the people have a knack to drag down their rising leaders.
- Political Turbulence Triggers More Equity Slump [Guardian] Turbulence in the political arena has sparked massive dumping and induced sell pressure on the equity sector of the Nigerian Stock Exchange as stock market investors lost N257 billion or 2.2 per cent at the close of transactions on Friday.
- Again, Buhari Declines Assent to Electoral Act Amendment Bill [This Day] Abuja -President Muhammadu Buhari has again vetoed the Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2018, citing drafting issues, which he said might affect the interpretation and application of the principal act.
- You Are Behaving Like Militants, Presidency Tells PDP [This Day] Abuja -The presidency on Monday in Abuja criticised the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for its rejection of the outcome of last weekend by-elections in Kogi and Katsina States, accusing the PDP of behaving like a militant organisation.
- Army Explains Role in Rivers By-Election On August 18 [This Day] The Nigerian Army has said that its personnel will be on standby to forestall possible violence in the Port Harcourt III state constituency by-election slated for August 18.
- NNPC Targets 15,000MW Gas-Based Power Generation in Three Years [This Day] Abuja -The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has disclosed it is targeting the supply of about five billion standard cubic feet per day (bcfd) of gas to Nigeria's domestic market, from which about 15,000 megawatts (MW) of electricity could be generated in the next three years.
- Why SNEPCo Supply Base Must Remain in Niger Delta [This Day] The Niger Delta region for many years was a centre for violence, communal clashes and militancy. It took a negotiated and sustained intervention for the government to purchase relative peace in the region. Until the now taken-for-granted relative peace, the region was characterised by youth restiveness, militancy and constant inter- and intra- communal clashes. Serenity was scarce and cordial business-host community relationship was scarce. Oil revenue dwindled due to the constant attacks on oil installati
- 25 Years After, Murtala Family Calls for Enactment of Victims' Rights Law [This Day] Twenty-five years after the death of the eldest son of the late former Head of State, General Murtala Muhammed, Zackari, the family has asked the National Assembly to enact the Victims' Rights Laws, which would protect the rights of victims of such heinous crimes.
- Nigeria to Add 3.4 Billion of Gas By 2020 [Guardian] Abuja -Nigeria is to add over 3.4 billion standard cubic feet of gas per day by 2020 as part of efforts to bridge projected medium-term gas supply gap, according to the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
- How to Move Nigeria Forward - Ahmed Makarfi [Guardian] With restructuring, Nigeria will witness rapid development, says former governor of Kaduna State, Senator Ahmed Makarfi. Speaking yesterday in Benin City, Edo State, during a visit to the state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to seek the party's nomination, Makarfi expressed his commitment to the ideals of the party, including restructuring.
- Mines Secures $13M to Grow Emerging Markets' Digital Credit Platform [Guardian] Mines, a fintech startup re-inventing credit in emerging markets, has closed a Series A round of $13 million led by The Rise Fund, a global fund managed by TPG Growth, to intensify talent acquisition, continued growth in Africa, and expansion to South America and South-East Asia.
- Forgotten Communities: How Displaced Children, Other IDPs Suffer in Lagos [Premium Times] This is the second and concluding part of a report focusing on Internally Displaced People (IDPs). This series focuses on malnutrition ravaging children of former residents of Otodo Gbame, who were forcefully evicted by the Lagos State Government. Read the first part here.
- Dangote Cement - Still Waxing Stronger With Impressive Performance [Leadership] Capital market analysts have rated the performance of Dangote Cement Plc in the first half of the year, 2018 to be very strong and impressive.
- Hakeem Kae-Kazim - True African Hollywood Gem [Leadership] In Hollywood today, there are several famous blacks that are excellent in their craft including those of Nigerian descent. One of such actors is Hakeem Kae-Kazim. When we talk about Nigerians making waves in diaspora and in Hollywood in particular, this pure black breed cannot be left out.
- Presidency Urges National Assembly to Concentrate On Issues of National Interest [Guardian] The Presidency yesterday urged the National Assembly to dwell more on issues of national interest rather that engage in the subterfuge and drama being played out in the nation's parliament.
- NASS Siege - Lawyer Offers $10,000 for Credible Information [Leadership] An Abuja-based lawyer and human rights activist, Dr. Kayode Ajulo, has offered the sum of $10,000 (about N3.5million) for credible information on the principal actors of the recent siege on the National Assembly.
- Saraki Visits Obasanjo in Abeokuta, Keeps Mum Over Meeting [This Day] Abeokuta -The Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, yesterday, made a surprise visit to former President Olusegun Obasanjo in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, and held about 90 minutes' closed-door meeting with him.
- Tambuwal Meets Atiku Over PDP Presidential Ticket [This Day] The Governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal has held consultations with the former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar in connection with his aspiration to vie for the country's presidency in 2019.
- Tension Mounts As National Assembly Shelves Special Sitting [Guardian] The much-anticipated special sitting of both chambers of the National Assembly to consider the N242 billion 2019 election budget may have been dropped.Although there was no official communication from the senate leadership on the matter, lawmakers who were approached for comments claimed they had not received invitation for any session.
- Microsoft Kaizala Pro now available in Nigeria Microsoft has announced that Microsoft Kaizala Pro is now available in Nigeria. Microsoft Kaizala is a mobile app that aims to improve the way businesses communicate and collaborate. The mobile app is designed for large group communication, workflow management, reporting and analytics, and is integrated with Office 365. Microsoft Kaizala is ideal for...
- Announcing the 4th Annual Healthcare Innovation Summit Africa The 4th Annual Healthcare Innovation Summit Africa 2018 will be taking place on the 17th and 18th of October at the Gallagher Convention Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa. Under the theme “Transforming Healthcare with Technology”, the event...
- Beat the cybersecurity skills shortage Conventional wisdom dictates that an increase in cybersecurity threats requires ever-larger IT security teams. Gartner fellow and research vice president Tom Scholtz says it’s time to think differently. Speaking ahead of his track on security and risk...
- Fintech startup secures $13M Series A to expand credit platform for emerging markets Mines, a fintech startup re-inventing credit in emerging markets, has closed a Series A round of $13M led by The Rise Fund, a global fund managed by TPG Growth. Also participating are Velocity Capital, Western Technology Investments, First Ally Capital,...
- Temenos and AUC Venture Lab team up to accelerate fintech innovation in Egypt The Venture lab at The American University in Cairo, university-based startup accelerator in Africa and the MENA region, and Temenos, the banking software company, have announced their intention to collaborate and strengthen the fintech ecosystem in Cairo....
- African Banks are using Agent Networks to unlock the potential of Financial Inclusion Papersoft is now a technological partner of two of the biggest African banks: Equity Bank Group and Ecobank from Democratic Republic of Congo to help them delivering their financial inclusion services via hyperlocal agents. Banks alongside with technology...
- Standard Bank customers are now able to use Samsung Pay Samsung has announced that Standard Bank customers are now able to make use of Samsung Pay. According to Samsung, Standard Bank cards supported during early access are Mastercard credit and cheque cards. Craige Fleischer, Vice President of Integrated Mobility...
- Apple reaches new landmark with $1 trillion valuation Apple the culture-changing company behind the iPod, iPhone and iPad hit another milestone on Thursday, becoming the first private-sector company to surpass $1 trillion in market value. Shares of Apple hit $207.91 in afternoon trading on Wall Street, allowing...
- Destiny 2: Forsaken – Legendary Collection and Dreaming City Trailer Bungie, High Moon Studios, and Activision, a wholly owned subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, revealed that Destiny 2: Forsaken – Legendary Collection will release worldwide on September 4 and is now available for pre-order. Destiny 2: Forsaken –...
- Tokyo 2020 to deploy facial recognition technology Tokyo 2020 will be first Olympics to use facial recognition technology to increase security around all venues. Hundreds of thousands of Tokyo 2020 athletes, staff and reporters will be scanned by cutting-edge facial recognition technology in an Olympic Games...
- Samsung unveils newest smartphone – Galaxy Note 9 South Korean electronics giant Samsung unveiled the new Galaxy Note 9 smartphone on Thursday, its latest effort to address flagging sales of the high-functioning gadgets. The consistent leader in the global smartphone market, Samsung nonetheless suffered a 22...
- New Red Dead Redemption II trailer showcases stunning visuals and gameplay As the release date for Rockstar’s open-world Western, Red Dead Redemption II, draws closer, Rockstar has only just dropped a more comprehensive look at what the actual gameplay will be like. In this thrilling prequel to the original Red Dead Redemption,...
- Around 23,000 devices go missing every month, finds Kaspersky Lab The holiday season is nearly upon us, and that means that millions of people are getting ready for a trip abroad. And while they are on holiday, many will be taking the opportunity to capture precious memories of their time away. In fact, according to...
- NASA counts down to launch of first spacecraft to ‘touch Sun’ NASA has begun the count down to the launch of a $1.5 billion spacecraft that aims to plunge into the Sun’s sizzling atmosphere and become humanity’s first mission to explore a star. The car-sized Parker Solar Probe is scheduled to blast off on a...
- Cybersecurity researchers detect WhatsApp flaw Researchers at Israeli cybersecurity firm have discovered flaws in WhatsApp that could allow hackers to modify and send fake messages in the popular social messaging app. CheckPoint said the vulnerability gives a hacker the possibility “to intercept and...
- Praekelt.org and WhatsApp’s Enterprise Solution is changing the face of social impact globally WhatsApp recently launched their Business API, their way of supporting businesses that require more powerful tools to communicate with their customers. WhatsApp being the chat application with the largest global reach, with more than 1.8bn users, mostly in...