- Boko Haram abducts 136 school girls in Borno
- Bomb scare in NASS •Offices, banks shut, workers rush home
- 2 bomb victims have died —Minister •FG to conduct DNA test on victims
- Kogi Speaker’s children kidnapped
- Nyanya bomb blast: More Nigerians react...
- BREAKING NEWS: Boko Haram: 16 killed, 136 Girls abducted, as gunmen attack Chibok, Burnt down Girls School, LG Secretariat, houses in Borno
- Abuja and the recurring violent quest for its soul
- Blood, sorrow, tears in Abuja •Over 100 reportedly killed •71 dead, 124 critically injured –Police
- British High Commissioner donates blood for bomb victims
- Convoy kills 2 in Kaduna, Tambuwal absolves aides from blame
- APC congress ... Obasanjo did not instruct us to defect to APC - Ogun PDP faction
- Abuja bombing: 71 dead, 124 injured, 16 luxury buses, 24 other vehicles burnt •Soldiers, bomb experts cordoned off Nyanya park •Jonathan visits victims in hospitals
- Our problems with NNPC - Senate •May summon Petroleum Minister if...
- Promotion: Junior police officers threaten strike
- Jonathan, others to honour Olubadan as he clocks 100 today
- FG inaugurates technical committee on grazing reserves
- As many as 200 girls abducted by Boko Haram, Nigerian officials say - CNN
- Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Schoolgirls From Secondary School - Huffington Post
Nigerian Gunmen Kidnap Schoolgirls From Secondary SchoolHuffington PostABUJA/MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, April 15 (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist insurgents abducted more than 100 female students in a night raid on a government secondary school in Nigeria's northeast Borno state, a teacher said on Tuesday. The gunmen, believed ...
- Despair as Nigeria Bomb Blast Kills Dozens - NBCNews.com
Despair as Nigeria Bomb Blast Kills DozensNBCNews.comDespair as Nigeria Bomb Blast Kills Dozens. A morning rush-hour bomb killed at least 71 people at a bus station near the Nigeria capital on Monday, raising concerns about the spread of an Islamist insurgency after the first such attack on Abuja for two ...
- 100 Nigerian Girls Kidnapped From School by Islamist Rebels, Teacher Says - Newsweek
- Blast kills 71 people at bus station in Nigeria - CNN
Blast kills 71 people at bus station in NigeriaCNN(CNN) -- At least 71 people were killed when a parked vehicle exploded at a bus station in the Nigerian capital, Abuja, on Monday morning, Nigerian officials said. Another 133 people were injured in the explosion on the outskirts of the city, national ...
- Nigeria Blast Kills Dozens as Militants Hit Capital - New York Times
Nigeria Blast Kills Dozens as Militants Hit CapitalNew York TimesLAGOS, Nigeria — Militants struck near the heart of the Nigerian state early Monday, bombing a bus station in the capital, Abuja, just miles from the seat of government in one of the worst attacks in years in the country's struggle with insurgents. At ...
- Nigeria unrest: Gunmen abduct 'about 100 schoolgirls' - BBC News
Nigeria unrest: Gunmen abduct 'about 100 schoolgirls'BBC NewsAround 100 girls are thought to have been abducted in an attack on a school in north-east Nigeria, officials say. Gunmen reportedly arrived at the school in Chibok, Borno state, late last night, and ordered the hostel's teenage residents on to lorries.
- Terror attack plunges Nigeria into chaos - Deutsche Welle
Terror attack plunges Nigeria into chaosDeutsche WelleOthers might dispute that. The devastating attack on the bus station on the outskirts of the capital Abuja shows that Nigeria is apparently powerless in the face of the growing violence. This year alone, attacks by Boko Haram have claimed more than 1 ...
- Dozens killed in Nigeria bus station bombing - Aljazeera.com
Dozens killed in Nigeria bus station bombingAljazeera.comA morning rush hour bomb has killed at least 71 people at a bus station on the outskirts of Abuja, the deadliest attack ever on Nigeria's federal capital. Suspicion fell on Boko Haram, though there was no immediate claim of responsibility for Monday's ...
- Suspected extremists kidnap 100 girls in Nigeria - USA TODAY
Suspected extremists kidnap 100 girls in NigeriaUSA TODAYMAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Officials say suspected Islamic extremists have abducted about 100 female students from a school in northeast Nigeria — but some of the teens managed to escape from the back of an open truck. Borno state police commissioner ...
- Violence surges from Islamic uprising in Nigeria LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — Suspected Muslim extremists kidnapped about 100 girls Tuesday from a school in northeastern Nigeria, less than a day after militants bombed a bus station and killed 75 people in the capital — a surge of violence that raised new doubts about the military's ability to contain an Islamic uprising.
- Nigeria vows to protect May "African Davos" in bomb-hit capital By Felix Onuah and Camillus Eboh ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria pledged on Tuesday to deploy more than 6,000 police and soldiers to protect a World Economic Forum on Africa in Abuja next month, a day after a bomb attack by suspected Islamist militants on the capital's outskirts killed dozens. Monday's bombing at a crowded bus station killed 71 people, the deadliest ever attack on Abuja, and has ...
- Nigeria rebels abduct schoolgirls, govt says will protect "African Davos" By Felix Onuah and Lanre Ola ABUJA/MAIDUGURI Nigeria (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist insurgents abducted more than 100 female students in a night raid on a government secondary school in Nigeria's northeast Borno state, a teacher said on Tuesday. The gunmen, believed to be members of the Boko Haram Islamist group which has attacked schools in the northeast before as part of their anti-government ...
- Nigeria rebels abduct schoolgirls, government says will protect 'African Davos' By Felix Onuah and Lanre Ola ABUJA/MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - Suspected Islamist insurgents abducted more than 100 female students in a night raid on a government secondary school in Nigeria's northeast Borno state, a teacher said on Tuesday. The gunmen, believed to be members of the Boko Haram Islamist group which has attacked schools in the northeast before as part of their anti-government ...
- Islamists abduct more than 100 girls from Nigeria school Maiduguri (Nigeria) (AFP) - Heavily armed Boko Haram Islamists kidnapped more than 100 girls from a school in northeast Nigeria, sparking a search by soldiers to track down the attackers, a security source and witnesses said. The unprecedented mass abduction in Borno state came hours after a bomb blast ripped through a crowded bus station on the outskirts of Abuja, killing 75 people, the ...
- Suspected extremists kidnap 100 girls in Nigeria MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Suspected Islamic extremists abducted about 100 female students from a school in northeast Nigeria before dawn Tuesday, but some of the teens managed to escape from the back of an open truck, officials said.
- At least 60 killed by suspected Islamists in Nigeria Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) - Suspected Boko Haram Islamists killed at least 60 people in Nigeria's troubled northeastern Borno state close to the border with Cameroon, a local official said. "The attackers, who are no doubt Boko Haram insurgents, attacked Amchaka and nearby villages this morning, hurling IEDs (improvised explosive devices) into homes and setting them on fire," Baba Shehu Gulumba, a ...
- Nigeria's Islamic uprising spreads, raising doubts about military's effort to contain violence LAGOS, Nigeria - Suspected Muslim extremists kidnapped about 100 girls Tuesday from a school in northeastern Nigeria, less than a day after militants bombed a bus station and killed 75 people in the capital — a surge of violence that raised new doubts about the military's ability to contain an Islamic uprising. With an 11-month-old state of emergency in three northeastern states failing to bring ...
- nigeria_abuja_bus_sttin_bomb_reuters_150414.JPG Nigeria today pledged to deploy more than 6,000 police and soldiers to protect a World Economic Forum (WEF) on Africa in Abuja next month, a day after a bomb attack by suspected Islamist militants on the capital's outskirts killed dozens. African heads of state and business leaders are due to attend the May 7-9 WEF event – based on the...
- Nigeria's Seven Energy secures $255 mln from new backers Nigeria's Seven Energy said on Tuesday it had secured $255 million from new backers, including Singapore state investor Temasek, to help fund its plan to build up a gas business in the West African country. Seven Energy, an indigenous Nigerian company, plans to buy gas fields and related infrastructure and pipelines to sell gas into Nigeria's domestic market for use in power generation and ...
- Abuja Explosion - Survivors Narrate Experience [Premium Times]When Oyebuchi Chigozie arrived the Nyanya motor park at about 6.00 a.m. on Monday, he thought his daily routine would continue. He would board a bus from the park to Garki, Area 11 to resume sales at his electronics shop.
- 1,000 Dead in Communal Violence [VOA]While attacks by the militant group Boko Haram have killed many people in northern Nigeria, communal violence is also taking a toll. The group Human Rights Watch saID since December more than one thousand people have been killed in five northern states.
- Abuja Blast Impacts Lives, Livelihoods [VOA]Abuja -In the aftermath of the worst terrorist attack on the Nigerian capital since an insurgency began in 2009, survivors say they escaped with their lives but lost everything else. Officials say they are looking at ways to help the bombing victims and boosting security ahead of the World Economic Forum for Africa to be held in Nigeria next month.
- Schoolgirls Abducted as Terrorists Strike Borno [CAJ News]Abuja -Suspected Boko Haram sect members have reportedly abducted more than 100 students at a girl-only school in Borno State.
- Abuja Blast - Six More Die At Wuse Hospital [Daily Trust]Six more fatalities have been recorded at the Wuse general hospital, increasing the death toll from 71 to 77 following Monday morning car bombing at the Nyanya bus station in Abuja.
- National Assembly Evacuated Over Bomb Scare [Premium Times]Nigerian authorities ordered an immediate evacuation of the National Assembly Tuesday a day after a massive car bomb killed at least 71 people and wounded 124 more at a car station near the capital, Abuja.
- Gunmen Abduct At Least 100 Girls From School [VOA]Unidentified gunmen have kidnapped at least 100 girls from a school in northeastern Nigeria.
- 24 Hours After Abuja Blast - Gunmen Abduct 100 School Girls in Borno [Vanguard]Less then 24 hours after the Boko Haram terrorists bombed the Nyanya bus terminus in Abuja, killing more than 100 innocent Nigerians, some unidentified gunmen suspected to be members of the terrorist organisation again abducted more than 100 female students from a Government Girls Secondary School, GGSS, in Borno State.
- Abuja Bomb Blast - 'We Saw Our Brother Burning' [Vanguard]Forty-eight hours after the bomb blast at Nyanya motor park, an outskirts of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja, the whereabouts of a 20âyear-old recharge card seller at the park, Isa Nuhu, is yet to be known despite the fact that one of the family members saw his body burning at the scene of the incident.
- Kwankwaso Is a Fraudster - - Jonathan [Vanguard]President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday in Kano at a PDP rally described Kano State governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, as a fraudster for embezzling allowances meant for party delegates during the 2010 PDP Presidential primaries.
- Osun PDP, APC Trade Words Over Planned Mayhem [Vanguard]Osogbo -THE ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osun State and the main opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, yesterday traded words over alleged plot to assassinate an unnamed governorship aspirant before the August 9 election in the state.
- Day After Abuja Blast - Please, Allow Me Search for My Sister's Remains, Man Begs [Vanguard]Abuja -TWENTY FOUR hours after a carefully planted bomb went off, killing no fewer than 100 people and leaving over 176 others with various degrees of injuries, Nyanya Motor Park, the scene of the incidence has turned into a 'Mecca' of sort, as people troop out to visit the area.
- Usher's Twin Brother Discovered in Nigeria? [Leadership]There is nothing as shocking as a striking resemblance of an international act and performer like Usher Raymond.
- Tiwa Savage Becomes Maggi Ambassador [Leadership]First lady of Marvin Records, Tiwa Savage, must be in high spirits now as her financial muscle expands.
- Jonathan, Kwankwaso in War of Words Over Campaign Funds [Leadership]President Goodluck Jonathan has accused Kano State governor Rabiu Kwankwaso of withholding the campaign funds meant for Kano State delegates during the PDP presidential primary in 2011.
- Bomb Scare At NASS, Federal Secretariat in Abuja [Leadership]Barely a day after the bomb blast at the Nyanya Motor Park that claimed many lives, workers at the Federal Secretariat in Abuja, yesterday abandoned their offices at about 3:30pm when an alarm was raised of a suspected bomb attack by an unknown group.
- FAAC Okays Removal of Fuel Subsidy, Shares N641.38 Billion [Leadership]Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC) has ratified its committee's decision to remove the petroleum subsidy.
- Uduaghan Indicts JTF Over Crude Oil Theft [Leadership]Delta State governor Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan yesterday indicted the security agencies in the Niger Delta, especially the Joint Task Force's "Operation Pulo Shield" over the increasing rate of crude oil theft and vandalism of oil pipelines in the region, particularly in his state.
- Scores of Girls Abducted From School By Suspected Islamist Rebels [Deutsche Welle]Suspected Islamist rebels have abducted at least 100 girls from a secondary school in Nigeria's northeast Borno state, according to local officials. The assailants are believed to be members of Boko Haram.
- Abuja Blast Linked to UK White Widow [Vanguard]British international terrorist, 'White Widow,' real name Samantha Lewthwaite, may be the mastermind behind the horrific Monday attack in Nyanya, near Abuja.
- Boko Haram 'Will Not Stop Nigeria From Moving' - Jonathan [Premium Times]President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday said that terrorists will not stop Nigeria from progressing.
- Jonathan - Terrorists Cannot Stop Government From Working [This Day]President Goodluck Jonathan has insisted that no matter the evil machinations of terrorists, his government will continue to deliver democracy dividends to Nigerians.
- 129 Girls Abducted By Boko Haram As Abuja Death Toll Rises to 76 [This Day]Barely 16 hours after a bomb explosion at a bus park in Nyanya, a suburb of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), killed scores of people and injured so many others, 129 female students were abducted on Monday night by members of the terrorist group Boko Haram from Government Girls' Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State.
- Bus Park Explosion - Two NIS Recruitment Survivors Cheat Death Twice [This Day]In what could be termed the aftermath, the reverberation from the devastating Nyanya bomb blast continued Tuesday as injured victims of the attack and families continued to recount their experience and bemoan their fate. The horrific tales of death, dismembered body parts, charred bodies and dozens of severely injured persons, again formed the theme of the narratives among Abuja residents yesterday.
- 2014 World Cup - Eagles Not Scared of Argentina [This Day]With the kick off of the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil still 56 days away, Super Eagles Head Coach, Stephen Keshi, yesterday insisted that the African champions were not scared of any team in the Group F of the mundial.
- Security Forces Identify Abuja Bomber, Body Recovered [This Day]Abuja -The Counter-Terrorism Unit (CTU) of the Nigerian security forces may have identified and recovered the body of the suspected bomber, who set-off the bomb at the Nyanya bus park in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), that led to death of 71 persons and injured 124 others on Monday morning.
- Terrorists Cannot Stop Government From Working, Says Jonathan [This Day]President Goodluck Jonathan Tuesday assured that no matter the evil machinations of terrorists, his government would continue to deliver democracy dividends to Nigerians. He equally assured Nigerians and international community that activities of terrorists would soon be a thing of the past.
- Nyanya Bomb Blast - I Lost My Business Money, Victim Cries Out [Leadership]These are trying times for many of the victims of Monday's bomb blast currently receiving treatment at various health centres in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.
- Visit to Northern Nigeria [GAVI]Geneva -I was happy to be in Sokoto, northern Nigeria last month to see how the introduction of the latest batch of pentavalent vaccines funded by the GAVI Alliance was progressing.
- Launch of National Routine Immunisation Strategic Plan in Nigeria [GAVI]Geneva -Yesterday Bill Gates and Ali Dangote, two billionaires with a passion for immunisation, joined Nigeria's Federal Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu, in the nation's capital Abuja to launch Nigeria's National Routine Immunisation Strategic Plan.
- Insurgency: Confab delegates seek closure of borders, others CITING the growing spate of insurgency in the country, delegates at the National Conference have [Wednesday, 16 April 2014 10:24]
- States okay oil subsidy removal, N641.4b shared for March THE Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) has sanctioned the removal of petroleum [Wednesday, 16 April 2014 10:10]
- SCourt upholds female childs right to inheritance in Igboland RULING as discriminatory and in conflict with the constitution of the Igbo law and custom that [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 21:37]
- I alerted Defence Headquarters ahead Nyanya blast, says rights activist MONDAY’S blast at Nyanya Bus Park in Nasarawa State, which killed scores and left many others [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 21:35]
- Lagos Assembly Speaker charges youth on politics, development UNTIL Nigerian youths rekindle interest in socio-political happenings in the country, they may not [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 21:31]
- Global outrage trails Abuja park bombing THE United Nations Security [Wednesday, 16 April 2014 00:53]
- Confab delegates mourn, dress in black IN line with the sober mood across the nation, following the bombing at the motor park in [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 21:30]
- Gunmen abduct 100 school girls in Borno 16 feared dead in Taraba, Benue violence BORNO State is in the news again for the bad reason [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 21:20]
- PDP must recover Kano in 2015, says Jonathan PRESIDENT Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has vowed that his party, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 23:07]
- Death toll in Abuja bomb blast hits 75 • No mass burial for victims • NEMA introduces emergency lines THERE was fresh [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 21:06]
- U.S. Navy turns seawater into fuel •SEPLAT in historic debut at NSE •Seven Energy gets N40.8b facility A MAJOR [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 21:45]
- Deeper Life holds retreat, charges members on essence of Easter • NSCDC to deploy 100,000 officials AGAINST the backdrop of the huge security and social [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:56]
- Nigeria to produce 2.4mbpd of oil in 2014 THE Business Monitor International (BMI) has projected a daily crude oil production of 2.4 million [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 16:37]
- GTB shareholders approve N50b dividend As bank initiates continental expansion programme WITH a total dividend of N50.033billion due to [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 16:28]
- G-20 Ministers, Central Bank governors plan new growth strategies THE Group of 20 (G-20) Finance Ministers and Central Bank governors said there was need for a [Monday, 14 April 2014 17:20]
- Body seeks focus on mineral exploitation THE President of Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society (NMGS), Prof. Clifford Teme, has advised [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 16:23]
- Govt pledges to complete projects in Borno, Yobe ALL Federal Government projects in Borno and Yobe states will be completed on schedule despite the [Monday, 14 April 2014 17:17]
- Firm to introduce five Android phones into Nigerian market G-TiDE, one of the leading mobile phone manufacturers, has announced plans to introduce five new [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 16:20]
- 13 WEF African global leaders to benefit from Dangotes fellowship THIRTEEN from among the 19 Africans recognized as Young Global Leaders (YGL) by the World Economic [Monday, 14 April 2014 16:21]
- IMFs reforms agenda hit deadlock REFORMS to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) have hit a deadlock despite a declaration from [Monday, 14 April 2014 18:08]
- Rebasing Nigerias economy to attract more investors THE World Bank Chief Economist, African region, Francisco Ferreira, said the rebasing of Nigerian [Monday, 14 April 2014 18:03]
- Banks, discount houses record mixed fortunes Disburse N12.1 trillion to domestic economy THERE were indications that the total assets and [Sunday, 13 April 2014 18:03]
- Nigeria compensates Ghana over shortfall in gas supply GHANA has received a compensation of $10 million from Nigeria over the failure of the latter to [Monday, 14 April 2014 17:59]
- Zenith Bank issues $500m Eurobond at 6.5 per cent ZENITHBank Plc has joined the league of Eurobond issuers among the nation’s deposit money banks, [Sunday, 13 April 2014 18:02]
- NBBF axes Police Batons, coach, player THE Nigeria Basketball Federation, (NBBF), on Wednesday fined the Police Batons Club of Lagos, for [Wednesday, 16 April 2014 10:46]
- Keshi: Why we dont fear Argentina SUPER Eagles’ Coach, Stephen Keshi, has dismissed the claim by Argentina manager, Alejandro [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:45]
- Obajimi, others want support for sports development PARTICIPANTS at a lecture to commemorate the United Nations International Day of Sports for [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:43]
- Archbishop Martins soccer tourney begins in July CATHOLIC Church football teams would have the opportunity to showcase their skills at the first [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 19:45]
- Okpekpe Road Race stars to get N20m •Enterprise named official bank WINNERS in the second Okpekpe 10 kilometres International Road [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:41]
- We were robbed by Sunshine in Akure THE Technical Adviser of Warri Wolves, Paul Aigbogun has advised the League Management Company [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 19:43]
- FCT targets seventh position at Calabar 2014 National Festival THE Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Sports Council Tuesday said it has commenced preparations for [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:39]
- Okagbare, Asumnu, others fly Team Nigerias flag at MT Sac Relays THE President of Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) Evang. Solomon Ogba will lead the Nigerian [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 19:41]
- All eyes on Abraka as Easter Polo tourney gallops off ORGANISERS of the forthcoming Abraka International Polo Tournament, Nigeria’s number one privately [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:37]
- Government Junior College, Ketu-Epe wins Olulade football tourney IT was excitement for students and teachers of Government Junior College, Ketu-Epe, as the school [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 18:46]
- Nestle unveils 2014 Milo U-13 African championship NESTLE Plc will Wednesday unveil plans for the Milo U-13 African Championship, which is a football [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 20:32]
- NFF still waiting for Keshis list THE Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) is still waiting for the Super Eagles’ boss, Stephen Keshi, [Monday, 14 April 2014 20:35]
- Maurice Greenes appointment will brighten our chances in Glasgow, says AFN THE Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) has counselled those critising the body over the [Tuesday, 15 April 2014 19:48]
- Sodje wants Yobo in Eagles squad KOREA/Japan 2002 Super Eagles defender, Efetobore Sodje, believes Norwich City star, Joseph Yobo, [Monday, 14 April 2014 20:31]
News Indian transgenders granted legal status India’s highest court has recognised the existence of a third gender that is neither male nor female in a landmark judgement hailed by the transgender community. “Recognition of transgenders as a third gender is not a social or medical issue but a human rights issue,” Justice KS Radhakrishnan told the Supreme Court on Tuesday while
New York police scrap Muslim spy unit New York’s police department has disbanded an undercover spying operation against Muslims which rights groups said was baseless and unfairly targeted people solely because of their religion. Civil liberty groups on Wednesday welcomed the disbandment of the “Demographics Unit” while the mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, said the disbandment would allow police more
Yahoo shares surge despite falling profits Shares in struggling internet search giant Yahoo jumped nine per cent despite a 20 per cent fall in first quarter earnings. The company’s profits of $312m (£187m) still beat expectations. Yahoo also said revenue from display advertising increased by 2 per cent to $409m, the first rise in some time. Overall, first quarter revenue was
Oscar Pistorius trial examines forensics Forensics expert Roger Dixon is continuing to testify at Oscar Pistorius’ murder trial in South Africa’s capital, Pretoria. He took the stand after the Olympic sprinter’s seven days of testimony came to an end with him reading a Valentine’s card from his girlfriend. The athlete denies intentionally killing his Reeva Steenkamp in early hours of
Malaysia plane: Robotic sub resumes search A robotic submarine has resumed its search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight on the seabed of the southern Indian Ocean. The mini-sub was deployed late on Tuesday after data analysis from its first aborted mission drew a blank, officials said. Flight MH370 went missing on 8 March with 239 people on board en route
Ukraine on brink of civil war, says Putin Russian President Vladimir Putin has warned that Ukraine is “on the verge of civil war” after Kiev sent in troops against pro-Russia separatists. Putin, in a phone call to German Chancellor Angela Merkel, described the move as a “sharp escalation”. Ukraine announced the start of an “anti-terrorist operation” in the east of the country on
Five students dead in Canada ‘mass murder’ Five University of Calgary students were stabbed to death Tuesday morning in what the city’s police chief called “the worst mass murder in Calgary’s history.” Chief Rick Hanson said about 30 students were at a house party celebrating the end of the school year Monday night when police received a call at 1:20 a.m. Tuesday
Two dead, 104 missing in S’Korean ship tragedy Rescue boats and helicopters scrambled to pluck hundreds of passengers, most of them high school students, from a passenger ferry as it listed and slow sank off the southwest coast of South Korea on Wednesday. Of the 474 people on board, 368 were rescued, many from the freezing waters into which they had jumped from
Confab releases committees’ list The ongoing National Conference has released the members of its committees. They are as follows: NATIONAL CONFERENCE 2014 CONFERENCE MANAGEMENT SECRETARIAT 1.COMMITTEE ON DEVOLUTION OF POWER S/No. DELEGATE 1. ADEBANJO, Chief Ayo 2. ADEDEJI, Chief (Barrister) Gbadegesin 3. ADEFUYE, Senator Anthony 4. AKINTOLA, Chief Adeniyi SAN 5. ALI, Dr. Amadu A. 6. AMINU, Prof. Jibril
CAN, ACF, Afenifere, others mourn victims There was outrage on Tuesday over Mondays bomb blast that killed, at 1east, 89 people at Nyanya Motor Park, Abuja. Prominent Nigerians and groups, including the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor; the Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, and its northern counterpart, the Arewa Consultative Forum, described the attack as inhuman. Oritsejafor,
Lets unite against terrorism, says IGP The Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, has urged Nigerians to maintain a united front against the evil of terrorism in the country. The IGP said that the unfortunate incident at the Nyanya Park called for a united action of the people against the enemies of the country. The IGPs comments were contained in
Boko Haram war difficult to win unless… –Amosu The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Adesola Amosu, has said that it will be difficult for the country to win the war against terrorism without the support of the host communities in the mission area. He said that the Air Force commanders must be diplomatic and display the requisite tact in dealing with the
- Airtel first to be awarded 3G, 4G licence in Chad Mobile operator Airtel has become the first company to be awarded a 3G and 4G licence in the African nation of Chad. “Mobile devices, using either 3G or even 2.5G EDGE networks, are already the main platform for internet access in Africa, allowing people to bypass the limited reach of the fixed broadband network,” said ...
- Orange to invest $28.8-million in Kenya French telco Orange, will invest a further $28.8-million in its 3G network across Kenya. The investment will see the company expanding the National Optic Fibre Backbone, and contributing to the Multi Service Access Node (MSAN). According to Orange Kenya chief...
- 67% of mobile phones sold in Kenya are smartphones New data from mobile operator Safaricom reveals that 67% of mobile phones sold in Kenya are smartphones. In addition, the report shows that in excess of 100 000 new smartphones are shipped to customers each month. “Safaricom will continue championing...
- World’s first Curved UHD TV available for SA pre-order Samsung Electronics South Africa is introducing the world’s first Curved UHD TV to South African consumers, who now have the opportunity to pre-order these sets from 11 April 2014 to 11 May 2014. According to Ansgar Pabst, Business Lead for TV/AV, Samsung...
- Afro-centric emoticons launched in South Africa They first garnered international attention with the launch of the first ethnically diverse emoticons. In fact in the past two weeks the Afro Emoticons from Oju Africa have had the world abuzz, with over 12000 downloads of the free app from Google Play in...
- What lesson Heartbleed bug teaches us At Kaspersky Lab, my job not only involves analysing malware and vulnerabilities, or merely talking about the latest security threats – but a big part of it is to also trying to explain and educate users on how to build security. When doing so, some of...
- SAP: Cloud opportunity similar to mobile in Africa Cloud computing has often been called a fad, but many experts agree that it is the future of business. While cloud adoption on the continent has been relatively slow, SAP believes that African businesses will inevitably see the benefits and take the leap....
- Zamir Telecom partners with Exchange Telecom Zamir Telecom’s joint venture with Exchange Telecom, enabling multiple STM1 capacity across four cities in Nigeria, has directly connected the global telco to all Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) in Nigeria. This gives Zamir Telecom a unique position of...
- Fear mounts for missing Nigerian tweeter There are mounting fears over the fate of a man who went missing 14 days ago after tweeting pictures of an attempted jail break in Abuja, Amnesty International said over the weekend. The man, identified by family members as Yusuf Siyaka Onimisi, has not been...
- Cisco VP: “Governments don’t appreciate what ICT can do” Networking equipment provider Cisco has been in operation across Africa for a number of years, and since Vice President for Africa David Meads took over almost two years ago, the company has focussed on expanding its footprint. “Cisco has a presence in 11...
- Jonathan in Ibadan, lauds Olubadan on centenary celebration President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday visited Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, amidst tight security to rejoice with the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Samuel Odugade Odulana on his Centenary Birthday anniversary, describing… ...
- Boko Haram kidnaps 100 school girls in Borno Bomb scare at National Assembly Banks shut, staff evacuated Panic in Port Harcourt over another discovery Gunmen suspected to be members of Boko Haram terrorists yesterday laid ambush to Chibok… ...
- No mass burial for Abuja bomb victims, as death toll hits 75 The Federal Government Tuesday ruled out mass burial for victims of Monday’s bomb explosion that rocked the nation’s capital, Abuja. Minister of Health, Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu, told journalists after inspecting… ...
- Inflation rate rises by 7.8% in March The nation’s Composite Price Index, CPI, which measures the average change in price level or inflation rate rose by 7.8 per cent year-onyear in March. This is up marginally from… ...
- FAAC approves total removal of fuel subsidy The Federation Account Allocation Committee, FAAC, yesterday adopted the recommendations of its ad hoc committee which recommended the outright stoppage of provisions for fuel subsidy in the Federation Account with… ...
- Lawmakers accuse Amaechi of illegal funding of APC Leader of the five lawmakers opposed to the Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Amaechi, Hon. Evans Bipi, has flayed the rate at which some of his colleagues ‘illegally’ grant approval for… ...
- Don’t politicise insecurity, Tambuwal warns Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal yesterday pledges to donate blood for the victims of Nyanya, Abuja bomb blast. Tambuwal who made the pledge when he visited the… ...
- Jonathan accuses Kwankwaso of embezzling N225bn council fund President insensitive, has no value for human lives –Gov President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday challenged Governor Rabi’u Kwankwaso of Kano State to account for the N225 billion Local Government funds he… ...
- Lawyer alleges threat to his life over toll collection A Lagos-based lawyer, Mr. Ebun-Olu A d e g b o r u w a , who won the case instituted to invalidate collection of Lekki-Ikoyi bridge against the Lagos… ...
- Women society condemns Abuja bombing Nigerian women under the auspices of National Council of Women Societies (NCWS) has decried the incessant bombings in the country, following the bomb blast that rocked Nyanya motor park on… ...
Ahmed wants Nigeria’s elite in partisan politics
Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara State yesterday, urged the elite to be actively involved in politics.The governor made the observation at the Institute of Chartered Accountant of Nigeria (ICAN) Northern zonal accountants conference in Ilorin. ...Edo North 2015: Aspirants and their chances
Even though the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it has not yet lifted the lid placed on campaigns for next year’s general elections, it is normal practice in politics for aspirants to commence sensitisation and mobilisation well ahead in the hope of gaining advantage in influence over the electorate. ...Goje to blame for crisis in Gombe APC – Abdullahi
All Progressives Congress (APC) stakeholder in Gombe State and a Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) retiree, Engr. Saad Abubakar Abdullahi (Majidadi Gombe), has fingered former governor of the state, Senator Danjuma Goje, in the crisis rocking the party. ...INEC seeks gender equality in electoral programmes
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has said it would integrate gender issues in all electoral programmes, to achieve gender inclusiveness in the 2015 general elections and subsequent polls. ...Ekiti pupils to get free meals from September –Fayemi
Better days are ahead for pupils and teachers in public schools in Ekiti State as the All Progressives Congress (APC) administration is planning a welfare package for them when the new school session commences in September. ...Nigeria vows to protect May ‘African Davos’ in bomb-hit Abuja
(ABUJA) Nigeria pledged on Tuesday to deploy more than 6,000 police and soldiers to protect… ...Community leaders hail Fayemi, promise him support
Members of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) in Ekiti West Local Government Area, under the chairmanship of Mr. Fatai Oluyede, said teachers were solidly behind Fayemi because of the various incentives they have enjoyed under his administration. ...Guber primaries: PPA, 7 other parties in last minute rush against INEC deadline
In order to meet the April 14, 2014, deadline given by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for submission of names of governorship candidates in Ekiti State, eight political parties, which had not gotten candidates hurriedly organised their primaries in Ado – Ekiti at the weekend, for them to be able to participate in the June 21 governorship election. ...Britain urges Ekiti politicians to shun violence
The British High Commission in Nigeria has urged Ekiti politicians to refrain from being desperate and violent for successful conduct of the June 21 governorship poll in the State. ...2007 poll: Osun to immortalise victims
Osun State Government has assured relations of all victims of the April 14, 2007 gubernatorial and House of Assembly elections in the state that the death of their loved ones would not be in vain as the government would compensate them adequately. ...Obasanjo’s greed derailed 2005 confab –Gana
Prof. Jerry Gana, former minister of information and political adviser to former President Olusegun Obasanjo, has blamed what he called the greed of his ex-boss for the derailment of the 2005 reports of the National Reform Conference. He also shared his opinion on some issues, dominating debates at the current conference. ...3 shot dead in Edo
Three persons have been reportedly shot dead while several houses were razed during a reprisal attack over a leadership tussle in Azagba community in Uhunmwode Local Government Area of Edo State ...Abuja bombing: 10-month-old baby reunites with injured mother
One of the very few happy moments in connection with Monday’s bomb attack at the Nyanya bus station happened yesterday, as a 10-month-old baby is set to be reunited with her injured mother, who was admitted at the Wuse General Hospital. ...Senator sues for peace in Plateau North
Senator representing Plateau North at the National Assembly, Senator Gyang Pwajok, has urged various groups in the senatorial district of Plateau state to close ranks and work for the return of lasting peace in all communities in the district. ...Gunmen kill six in Benue
No fewer than six persons were killed yesterday by gunmen in Agatu Local Government Area of the state. The latest attack occurred as various committees set up to restore peace in the state have started work. ...We’ll exploit resources to develop –Ajimobi
Oyo State Governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi on Monday in Ibadan said his administration would exploit the vast resources in the area to develop the state economically. ...Court of Appeal dismisses Akala’s suit to stop EFCC
The Court of Appeal sitting in Ibadan yesterday dismissed a suit filed by former governor of Oyo State, Chief Adebayo Alao-Akala, to quash the N11.5 billion suit filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). ...Fayemi congratulates Olubadan on 100th birthday
Ekiti State Governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, has congratulated the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Samuel Odulana, Odugade I, on his attainment of 100 years. ...Fulani herdsmen on rampage in Enugu
Rampaging Fulani herdsmen have continued to terrorise Enugu State with reports of robbery attacks which led to the death of a victim while another who was attacked in the state capital escaped with machete wounds. ...Gov Obiano declares war on potholes in Nnewi
Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra State has reassured the people of the state of his resolve to stamp out criminals and all forms of criminality in Anambra. ...Anambra moves to enforce cities’ master plan
In order to maintain the master plan designed for cities in the state, Governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano, has commenced the demolition of illegal buildings in the state. The governor ordered that some of the structures cited in unauthorised places in the 3-3 Area of Onitsha be pulled down, including illegal structures and perimeter fences built on government land close to the road. ...CBN may return to short-term rate targeting
Despite her pledge to continue with the policies of the suspended governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Acting Governor, Dr. Sarah Alade, may soon join other central bankers to implement a new monetary policy that seeks to focus on short term interest rate targeting. ...Oguntayo appointed Skye Bank CEO
The board of Directors of Skye Bank Plc has announced the appointment of Mr. Timothy Oguntayo as GMD/CEO to succeed Mr. Kehinde Durosinmi-Etti who will retire from the board on July 31 at the end of his current tenure. ...Jonathan to grace brokers’ annual workshop
Barring any unforeseen circumstances, President Goodluck Jonathan will, next week in Abuja, lead his government delegates to this year’s Annual National Workshop of the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers (CIS). ...Nigeria to lose billions in new wave of import duty, tax waivers
The 19-member Nigerian Auto manufacturers Association of Nigeria, (NAMA) has written to the Federal Government asking it to cancel a new wave of import duty waivers granted to an unnamed businessmen to import cars into the country. ...Nigeria, African states seek World Bank intervention to halt $50bn illicit financial flows
African Finance Ministers at the weekend met with the leadership of the World Bank Group to press for an urgent end to illicit financial flows out of the continent to developed nations estimated at over $50billion annually. ...CBN goes tough on naira hawkers
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Sunday gave reasons why it is passing the cost of sorting dirty naira notes on deposit money banks in the country. ...Adelabu assumes duty as CBN Deputy Governor
Two weeks after his confirmation by the Senate, Mr. Adebayo Adekola Adelabu has formally assumed his new role as the Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Wednesday, April 9, 2014. ...GTBank records N242bn gross earnings
Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) Plc has grown its group’s gross earnings by 8.8 per cent from N223.06 billion in 2012 to N242.67 billion last year. ...Women contribute 70% to economic growth –Lawson
President, Odu’a Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (ODU’ACCIMA) and Chairperson, National Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture (NACCIMA), Iyalode Alaba Lawson, has said that women still contribute about 70 per cent to the economic growth of the country despite the constraints facing them. ...FACE Africa to showcase Nigerian culture, tourism in US –As Bez, General Pype, Gbedu Master perform
African arts and culture will be on parade in far away United States as the… ...Yaw, Koffi for Coterie’s Humour Unlimited
Comedians Yaw and Koffi, will be on parade when April City Entertainment host its comedy… ...50 years on stage: Uduaghan to celebrate Eddie Ugboma
Happy times are here for veteran movie producer, Eddie Ugboma. Delta State governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan,… ...Nigerian idol:Female contestant to Dede: I want to take you home
Last week it was the turn of late Fela’s foremost acolyte, Dede Mabiaku, to be… ...What I’ll do to Ramsey Nuoah behind closed door–Blessing Patrick
Model, fashion designer and budding actress, Blessing Patrick, is fast making a place for herself… ...Pete Edochie: Taking up new role for Rev. Tansi
Veteran journalist, broadcaster and actor, Chief Pete Uwadiegwu Edochie, needs no introduction because most Nollywood films have him play lead roles. ...WHY WE MUST RETURN TO OUR GOOD, OLD VALUES –Agatha Amata
Agatha Amata is a motivational speaker and the brain behind the regular television programme, Inside Out. ...Nigerian whiz kid, Kosiso Nnebe, dazzles Canadians
A four-pane painting on transparent plexi glass by Nigerian-born, Canadian artist, Kosisochukwu Nnebe, has literally lit… ...“Half of a yellow sun” Nigeria’s finest brand, says movie goers
(LONDON, England) The film”Half of a yellow sun”, an adaptation of Chimamanda Adichie’s, novel has… ...Nigerian Idol: Contestant proposes to Nneka
Nigerian Idol judge, Nneka Egbuna, was bamboozled after the performance of one of the contestants… ...
- May and Bakers FY13 profits down125 percent on costs - Background May & Baker Nigeria Plc was founded on September 4, 1944 as Nigeria’s first pharmaceutical company. It has its origin in England, the United Kingdom in 1834 where three chemists founded Grimwade, May & Pickett, a firm for manufacturing chemicals for pharmaceutical products. In 1839, Grimwade, May & Pickett transformed into May& Baker United
- Nobel laureates to headline Covenant University inaugural African development conference - Two prominent Nobel laureates in Economics, Professor Thomas Sargent of New York University and Professor Eric Maskin of Harvard University, will be the keynote speakers at the inaugural Covenant University international conference on African development issues (CU-ICADI). The conference which is scheduled to hold on May 5th and 6th at the African Leadership Development centre, Covenant University
- Premium Pensions to manage Niger State retirement redemption bond - Premium Pension Limited, a leading Pension Fund Administrator (PFA) in the country has secured the approval of the Government of Niger State to manage its Retirement Redemption fund. The portfolio agreement which has been signed by both parties with the endorsement of the National Pension Commission (PenCom) emphasizes, among others, that the funds and assets
- Kewalram acquires new Mitsubishi models - Chanrai Nigeria Limited, dealer on Mitsubishi model of vehicles in the country, has added two new models into its portfolio. The latest arrivals into the local market are the Attrage four-door sedan and the all-new Space Star hatchback also called the Mirage in some countries. The introduction of the duo to the local automotive media
- New car shoppers pick Honda overall best - For the second consecutive year, new car buyers have voted the Honda brand as the “Best Overall Brand” in the recent Kelley Blue Book’s (KBB) annual Brand Image Award study. The automakers also won the “Most Trusted Brand” honour for the third straight year. To market international automotive industry watchers, Honda’s win did not come
- Lack of formal market swell retail mall developers appetite - Nigeria’s informal market structure might be changing with the urge for modern organised markets such as world class shopping centres, retail malls rapidly growing among the nation’s expanding middle class, however, the lack of top grade retail space for both indigenous and international retailers to meet this rising demand remains a major source of concern.
- 100 plus corporate organizations, state govts expected at FDI exhibition - Over 100 corporate organizations, state governments and individuals are participating in the Foreign Direct Investment Opportunities in Nigeria (FODION) exhibition holding in London. The exhibition is coming up between June 26 and 27, 2014 at the Queen Elizabeth II conference centre and will cover all sectors of the Nigerian economy. According to Kunle Aderemi, Chief Executive Officer,
- Next generation Audi Q7 debuts 2015 - The second generation of the Audi Q7 will be introduced in late 2015 as the popular SUV will be riding on a new platform and get new technologies and engines onto it. The 2016 Audi Q7 is getting closer and closer to its future customers and while some of its main competitors such as the
- Toyota Nigeria commissions body/paint shop - Barely one week after the unveiling of the new generation Corolla to the motoring public, Toyota Nigeria Limited recently commissioned its ultra-modern facility body and paint modern facility in Oregun, Ikeja, Lagos, with an investment profile valued at $3million dollars. Globally, some of the world’s top automaker’s depends on their after sales service offering to
- Custodian and Allied Insurance spur growth with merger synergies - Background Custodian and Allied Insurance Plc (CAI), is a general insurance business. The principal activities of the Company are to develop, package and deliver insurance products within the areas of Personal cover, Business cover and Special Risk. Personal cover provides insurance services such as Vehicle, Homeowners, Accident and Boat owner/Yacht insurances. Business cover offers insurance
- Ogba leads Team Nigeria to Mt. Sac Relays President of Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) Evang. Solomon Ogba will lead the Nigerian track and field team to Mt.Sac Relays in Walnut, California, USA. [April 15, 2014]
- Peak backs Eagles for Brazil W/Cup PEAK, the official milk of the senior national team has launched a campaign to galvanize support for the team tagged ‘World Class Nutrition, World Class Team’ to ensure that the Super Eagles do not lack the much required nutrient to execute their 2014 FIFA World Cup campaign in Brazil in June. [April 15, 2014]
- Brazil World Cup: Eagles get S/Final target As the zero hour approaches swiftly for the Brazil World Cup( 58 days to go), Super Eagles have been given a semi final target. [April 15, 2014]
- Appiah earns N48m for qualifying Ghana for W/Cup Ghana coach Kwesi Appiah was paid a qualification bonus of US$ 300,000 for leading the Black Stars to the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil. [April 15, 2014]
- Emenike supports the Okwarajis Fenerbahce striker Emmanuel Emenike has made good his promise to support the family of late soccer star Samuel Okwaraji. [April 14, 2014]
- Ameobi tasks teammates Super Eagles striker, Shola Ameobi has urged his team-mates to work hard to quickly end the ongoing crisis at Newcastle, who have lost their last four matches in Premier League. [April 14, 2014]
- Onazi dedicates goal to terror victims Nigeria midfielder Ogenyi Onazi has dedicated his goal in Sunday’s 4-2 loss to Napoli to the victims of the explosions in the country’s capital Abuja on Monday. [April 14, 2014]
- Iran runs to S/Africa for Eagles Carlos Queiroz, manager of Iran, Nigeria’s World Cup opponents has named a 28-man Asia-based squad for the tournament. They will be joined later by players from European leagues. [April 14, 2014]
- Maigari explains partnership with Orlean President of Nigeria Football Federation, Alhaji Aminu Maigari, at the weekend described as a huge boost to Nigeria football, the partnership agreement that the NFF sealed on Thursday with Port Harcourt-based oil services company, Orlean Invest West Africa Limited. [April 14, 2014]
- We’re working toward a glorious outing – Ogba THE President of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) Evang. Solomon Ogba over the weekend told athleticsnigeria.com that AFN and the National Sports Commission (NSC ) are working hard to ensure a glorious outing at the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. [April 14, 2014]
- No change in Eagles’ pre-World Cup programme – NFF Nigeria football spokesman, Ademola Olajire, said at the weekend that there has been no change to what has been streamed to the public previously as the Super Eagles’ schedule leading to the 20th FIFA World Cup finals in Brazil. [April 14, 2014]
- Liverpool clash: Kompany in, Aguero on bench for Man City Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany overcame an injury scare to take his place in the starting line-up for his side’s top-of-the-table Premier League clash at Liverpool on Sunday. [April 13, 2014]
- Nigerian refs to get world cup chance in 2018 FIFA referees assistant programme instructor, Lee Kim Chong stated in Abuja that Nigeria referees could get the chance to officiate in their first ever world cup in 2018. [April 13, 2014]
- Basketball World Cup: Why I was chosen to officiate — Ojeaburu Most of you reading this are thinking which referee is that? A Nigerian referee will be going to Brazil for the World Cup? When did FIFA name the referees for the World Cup? Well it pleases me to inform you that football is not the only sport celebrating its highest Mundial in 2014. Come August 30, 2014 Spain will also be agog and Basketball is the reason why.The FIBA World Cup will hold sway this year. [April 13, 2014]
- Granada defeat leaves Barca’s title hopes in tatters Barcelona’s La Liga title hopes suffered a huge blow as they lost 1-0 at Granada on Saturday to slip to a second consecutive defeat. [April 12, 2014]
- Impact of Orubebe Golf still being felt in Sapele — Barrister Agbajoh She was the force behind the recently concluded Orubebe Invitational Golf Tournament. A silent achiever, Mary Oyibocha Agbajoh is not one that can be rated as a run of the mill lady. Barrister (Mrs) Agbajoh a business woman, politician, media consultant and event planner par-excellence, was born on the 6th of February, 1972 in Delta State, Nigeria. She is somewhat of pacesetter and in this Interview with Sunday Vanguard sports, she tells the story of the Orubebe Golf tourney among other achievements [April 12, 2014]
- Arsenal into FA Cup final Arsenal eliminated Wigan Athletics via penalty shootout to set a date with either Hull City or Sheffield Wednesday for the FA Cup final. More details to follow… [April 12, 2014]
- Everton eye Champions League on emotional weekend Everton leapfrogged Arsenal into fourth place in the Premier League with a 1-0 win at bottom of the table Sunderland on Saturday as English football marked the 25th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. [April 12, 2014]
- Yobo not fit for Eagles squad, Laloko declares Veteran coach and former Nigeria Football Federation technical director, Kashimawo Laloko said yesterday that coach Stephen Keshi will be making a mistake if he includes Joseph Yobo into his plans for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. [April 12, 2014]
- Amiesimaka lauds Okoku over Foundation MEMBER of 1980 African Nations Cup winning squad, Adokiye Amiesimaka has lauded ex-international, Paul Okoku over his plan to launch a charity-based foundation for less-privileged and talented sports kids in Nigeria next week. The Greater Tomorrow Foundation, an initiative of Okoku, will be officially launched on April 17 at the Nicon Luxury Hotel in Abuja, [April 12, 2014]
- Sports Devt: Danagogo calls for private collaboration Nigeria’s Sports Minister and Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr. Tamuno Danagogo has called on all well meaning Nigerians, Multi-national organisations and private companies to collaborate with the government in the development of sports through the window of sports sponsorship. The Minister made this call Thursday in his Abuja National Stadium office when [April 12, 2014]
- Izilein begs NFF for unpaid bonuses With the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF agreeing it was owing its coaches, past and present, former Super Falcons coach, Godwin Izilein has appealed to the football house not to forget that he is being owed some money after serving the country since 2006. [April 12, 2014]
- 2014 Commonwealth Games: NSC aims to surpass Delhi 2010 performance Gbenga Elegbeleye, the Director-General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), has said that the commission’s focus for the 2014 Commonwealth Games is for Team Nigeria to surpass its 2010 Games’ performance. [April 12, 2014]
- World Cup: Kigha, FIFA/CAF Instructor decries Eagles’ poor preparation Nigeria’s CAF/FIFA referees Fitness Instructor, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Felix Kigha, has observed that rather than focus on the World Cup in Brazil, Nigeria’s preparation is not only far behind but has been enmeshed in controversies. [April 12, 2014]
- Golden League: AFN put athletes to test in Abuja Athletics Federation of Nigeria, AFN’s technical officials are expecting athletes who benefited from its conditioning camp in Abuja, to ‘down load’ some heart warming performances today as the AFN/Solid Works Golden League series begin in Abuja. [April 12, 2014]
- Maurice Greene can’t help Nigeria — Olympians Athletics Federation of Nigeria, AFN on Thursday announced the appointment of US track star, Maurice Greene to coordinate its relay teams to the IAAF World Relays, African Championships and the Commonwealth Games this year. [April 12, 2014]
- NNPC/Shell Cup enters q-finals stage The quarter finals of the NNPC/Shell Cup will hold in four cities across the country today and tomorrow with all the matches being played from 4:00pm each day, the National Co-ordinator of the competition, Shola Akinwale has said [April 12, 2014]
- Abesan Football Devt honours Yaba Tech Rector, others The Rector of the Yaba College of Technology Dr. Mrs. Kudirat Ladipo tops the list of awardees that will be conferred with Patron Award by the Abesan Football Development at this year’s Final billed for may 18 oct at Yabatech Mainbowl. [April 12, 2014]
- Courtois free to face Chelsea, insist UEFA - Atletico Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois will be free to face his parent club Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals, UEFA claimed on Friday. [April 11, 2014]
- Real-Bayern, Atletico-Chelsea in Champions League semis Holders Bayern Munich will play nine-time winners Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid were pitted against Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals draw made on Friday. [April 11, 2014]
- Maurice Greene to coach Nigeria’s relay teams US sprint icon, Maurice Greene has been appointed by the Athletics Federation of Nigeria to handle the Nigeria’s relay teams with a view of guiding them to podium performance at international events. [April 11, 2014]
- Adokiye predicts Eagles doom 1980 African Nations Cup winner Adokiye Amiesimaka has said that the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have set the stage for the Super Eagles to fail at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil. [April 11, 2014]