No-bail-for-political-thugs,-Ogun-CP-warns">March 6, 2015 by Ramon Oladimeji
- Nigeria's 'brown envelope' journalism - BBC News
Nigeria's 'brown envelope' journalismBBC NewsIn our series of letters from African journalists, writer and novelist Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani looks at journalists' struggle for survival in Nigeria. Nigerian journalists are typically paid wretched salaries, and even the pittance to which they are ...and more »
- Boko Haram: Nigerian woman killed by mob 'not a bomber' - BBC News
- 'Boko Haram' kills dozens in raid on Nigerian village - BBC News
- The fall in oil price could be a turning point for Nigeria's economy - The Guardian
- Nigeria and its neighbours - The Economist
Nigeria and its neighboursThe EconomistThe origins of this black market lie less than an hour's drive away, across Benin's eastern border, in Nigeria, where imported fuel is sold at subsidised rates and the price paid by drivers is capped, thus generating a massive trade in illicit petrol ...
- Nigeria, British Military Collaborating To End Insurgency - CHANNELS TELEVISION
- Did Goodluck Jonathan's political price-cut trigger fuel shortages in Nigeria? - Quartz
- Nigeria Must Reduce Thirst for Oil Revenues, Says IMF - Wall Street Journal (blog)
- Nigeria govt. gives provisional licenses to nine new private universities - Premium Times
- Bringing “everyone wins” recycling to Nigeria - MIT News
Bringing “everyone wins” recycling to NigeriaMIT NewsGrowing up in Lagos, Nigeria, Bilikiss Adebiyi MBA '12 witnessed a waste epidemic in the city's slums, where many of her relatives lived: Plastic bottles, aluminum cans, and other waste accumulated in streets and open gutters, causing flooding, disease ...
- Boko Haram kills scores in NE Nigeria, militants amass in Gwoza Boko Haram fighters killed 68 people, many of them children, in northeast Nigeria, as militants began amassing in the strategic town of Gwoza against a possible fight-back by military forces. The atrocity in Njaba, some 50 kilometres (31 miles) from the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, happened at dawn on Tuesday and also saw attackers raze the village, witnesses and vigilantes said. Nigeria ...
- Dozens killed in suspected Boko Haram attack in north Nigeria By Lanre Ola MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) - At least 45 people were killed by suspected Boko Haram militants at dawn on Tuesday in a remote village of Nigeria's northeastern Borno state, military sources and authorized vigilante groups told Reuters. The insurgents started shooting into houses in Njaba at about 5:30 a.m. (0430 GMT), a military source in Maiduguri said on Thursday. The army also ...
- Nigeria likely to lower estimate for 2015 GDP after naira drops By Chijioke Ohuocha LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigeria expects to lower its forecast for 2015 economic growth again, after cutting its forecast to 5.54 percent in January, after oil prices fell and the currency weakened further last month, the country's statistics bureau said. Yemi Kale told the Reuters Africa Investment Summit on Tuesday he did not expect a reduction of more than 1 percent in the 5.54 ...
- Nigeria stalls Chad, aims to beat Boko Haram before election By Daniel Flynn and Bate Felix N'DJAMENA/YAOUNDE (Reuters) - When battle-hardened Chadian troops overran a Boko Haram camp in northern Nigeria last week, they wanted to press deep into territory controlled by the Islamist group but Nigeria refused to let them. Having defeated al Qaeda in Mali two years ago, Chad's military believes it could could finish off Boko Haram alone. In a country proud ...
- Nestle Nigeria slows capex as consumers feel devaluation pinch By Chijioke Ohuocha LAGOS (Reuters) - Nestle Nigeria's chief executive expects the firm's capital expenditure to slow to its lowest level in five years after a currency devaluation dampened customer spending in Africa's biggest economy. Dharnesh Gordhon told Reuters Africa Investment Summit that consumers in Africa's most populous nation were suffering from the devaluation triggered by a sharp ...
- Why Nigeria's restive oil region will only accept Jonathan By Tim Cocks OTUOKE, Nigeria (Reuters) - The most impressive building in Otuoke, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan's home town in the oil producing Niger Delta, is the multistory mansion complex he has built for himself and close family while in office. A few hundred metres away, the street where he grew up is a jumble of rusting iron-roofed shacks. Down a dirt side alley, Happiness Ebi ...
- Insight: Why Nigeria's restive oil region will only accept Jonathan By Tim Cocks OTUOKE, Nigeria (Reuters) - The most impressive building in Otuoke, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan's home town in the oil producing Niger Delta, is the multi-storey mansion complex he has built for himself and close family while in office. "We haven't really seen much benefit since our brother became president, except the university," she says, referring to the shiny Federal ...
- Nigeria’s situation worries Britain, West Africa – Obasanjo Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said West African countries and Britain are worried about developments in Nigeria. He said this while addressing guests at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta, on Thursday during the celebration of his 78th birthday and 2015 annual summit. Obasanjo, who reiterated his commitment to the country, said each time he... [Read More...]
- Nigeria target Under-20s success Nigeria aim to win the upcoming African Under-20 Championship and show that lifting the Under-17 World Cup was not a fluke.
- Fuel shortages hit Nigeria as currency woes hurt importers By Julia Payne and Libby George ABUJA/LONDON (Reuters) - Oil-rich Nigeria's main cities are facing acute gasoline shortages as importers feel the pinch of a plummeting local currency, tighter credit lines and unpaid government subsidies, oil traders and local industry sources said. "I have spent 12 hours here," taxi driver Bartholomew Odey Akpa told Reuters on Monday. "I work at the airport as a ...
- IMF Proposes Naira Devaluation [CAJ News] Lagos -The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has called for the implementation of reforms, including the devaluation of the Nigerian Naira in order to shield the country from risks presented by uncertainties characterizing the economy.
- Doctors Protest Non-Payment of Salaries [This Day] The Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) of Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) has called on the hospital management as well as the Federal Ministry of Health to pay its members their outstanding salaries ranging from three months to seven months in arrears.
- We Know Shekau's Hideout - Chadian President [Leadership] Chadian president, Idriss Deby, has said that he knew where the outlawed Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, was hiding and vowed to hunt him out, Hausa Service of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) monitored in Abuja, yesterday, reports.
- No Shortage of Recruits for Boko Haram in Cameroon's Far North [IRIN] Far North -Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of young people in northern Cameroon, who lack access to school and employment, are increasingly fighting alongside Boko Haram, local authorities say.
- Boko Haram Violence Displaces 1.2 Million Nigerians [IRIN] Nairobi -More than 1.2 million people have been driven from their homes in northern Nigeria, the vast majority as a result of the Boko Haram insurgency, according to the latest figures from the National Emergency Management Authority (NEMA).
- Obasanjo Exhibits Soccer Skills to Celebrate 78th Birthday [Premium Times] Former President Olusegun Obasanjo on Wednesday exhibited his soccer skills as he led the OBJ Team in a soccer duel with the Ogun State Executive Team.
- America Bans Owners of Amigo Supermarket, Wonderland Amusement Park Over Alleged Terrorist Activities [Premium Times] The United States of America has banned the owners of Nigeria's Amigo Supermarket and Wonderland from dealing with any U.S. person.
- Mastercard, Etranzact Partner On Payment Services for Nigerians [This Day] At the ongoing Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Spain, MasterCard has announced an agreement with eTranzact International Plc, a leading pan-African mobile banking and payment services company, to make international remittance services available to millions of consumers in Nigeria.
- APC - Patience Jonathan Is Crude [This Day] The All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organisation (APCPCO) has thanked Nigerians for putting up with "an incredibly crude woman," Patience Jonathan, as Nigeria's first lady. Speaking on Tuesday during the PDP women presidential campaign rally in Kogi State, Mrs. Jonathan had described Muhammadu Buhari, APC's presidential candidate, as unfit to be the country's president. "Wetin him dey find again? Him dey drag with him pikin mate," she said in pidgin English. "Old man wey no get brain, him b
- Committee Express Concern About Missing Nigerian Girls [Parliament of South Africa] The Multi-Party Womens' Caucus has expressed its concern that the majority of girls kidnapped in Nigeria by the militant group Boko Haram have still not been found.
- Many Nigerians Risk Becoming Stateless - Rights Commission [Daily Trust] The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has said that many Nigerians may become stateless as a result of insurgency in parts of the country.
- Cabinet Pleased By Repatriation Processes [SAnews.gov.za] Cabinet says it is pleased about concluding the final phase of the repatriation of all mortal remains of South Africans from Nigeria, as well as those of struggle heroes from Russia.
- Jonathan Claims Kidnapped Chibok Girls "Still Alive" [CAJ News] Abuja -NIGERIAN President Goodluck Jonathan has claimed the schoolgirls Boko Haram sect members kidnapped were still alive.
- IMF Executive Board Concludes 2014 Article IV Consultation with Nigeria [IMF] On February 27, 2015, the Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) concluded the Article IV consultation1 with Nigeria.
- Boko Haram - Catholic Church Preaches Peace, Solidarity [Cameroon Tribune] "The situation is very bad. When people talk of war, you can never imagine what is happening in the Far North Region of Cameroon." This is a statement made by Professor Jean Paul Messina, yesterday, March 4, 2015 at the National Episcopal Conference of Cameroon (NECC) in Yaounde, as he and Professor Antoine Essomba Fouda of the Catholic University of Central Africa, presented to the public an investigative report on violence and insecurity in the Far North Region, particularly the Boko Haram war and the re
- Federal Government's Ban On Overseas Training for Workers [Independent (Lagos)] This Newspaper, therefore, calls on CMD to use the window of this ban to position itself for the right leadership in the development of the nation’s capacity building, particularly in the aspect of human resource development.
- Synagogue Collapse Caused By Faulty Foundation - Engineer [Independent (Lagos)] Lagos -Saheed Ariyori, a structural engineer, on Wednesday, told the coroner's inquest, presided by Chief Magistrate Oyetade Komolafe, that the collapse of a guesthouse owned by the Synagogue Church Of All Nations (SCOAN) was a consequence of it's faulty foundation.
- 'Faulty Foundation Led to the Synagogue Building Collapse' [Guardian] Lagos/Akure -Students protest against alleged attempts to malign TB Joshua
- Another Dam On the Niger? [Guardian] REPORTS that the authorities in Niger Republic are planning to construct a dam across the River Niger is a cause for worry among Nigerians given that the base load of Nigeria's power generation still remains the Kainji and Jebba dams on the same River Niger. Any attempt to erect a dam upstream in Niger Republic, therefore, would adversely affect the operation of the two hydro power stations in Nigeria which would worsen the power supply situation in Nigeria.
- 2015 Polls - APC, PDP Brawl Over Jega [Vanguard] Abuja -The ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and the opposition All Progressives Congress, APC, engaged in a brawl, yesterday, over alleged plot by government to surreptitiously deposit a huge amount of money into the bank account of the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Attahiru Jega in the name of APC National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.
- Defence Headquarters Accuses Media of Undermining Nigeria Military Successes Against Boko Haram [Daily Trust] The Nigeria military said segments of society including the media are deliberately playing down the operational successes achieved by Nigerian troops in the fight against insurgents.
- Queen of Bleaching Disses Lupita Over 'Stolen' Dress [The Star] Nigerian and Cameroonian singer and cosmetics seller, Dencia has hit out at Lupita Nyong'o over the theft of her Oscar red carpet "pearl dress".
- Polls - 15 Political Parties, Five Presidential Candidates Threaten Boycott Over Card Readers [Vanguard] Abuja -FIFTEEN political parties and five presidential candidates participating in the forth coming elections, yesterday, opposed the proposed use of card readers in accrediting voters by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in the elections.
- Boko Haram: Chadian President Tells Shekau to Surrender or Be Killed [Premium Times] President Idriss Deby of Chad said Wednesday he knew the hideout of Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, and vowed that the leader of the insurgent group will be killed if he fails to surrender.
- Obasanjo At 78 Plays, Scores Two Goals At Birthday Novelty Match [Vanguard] Abeokuta -Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Wednesday, dazzled many during a fun filled football match held at MKO International Stadium, Abeokuta when his Presidential Library team slugged it out with a team of Ogun State Government led by the governor Senator Ibikunle Amosun.
- Chadian President - We Know Where Abubakar Shekau Is [This Day] Chadian President, Idriss Deby, yesterday vowed to "wipe out" Boko Haram and called on the group's chief, Abubakar Shekau, to give himself up, warning that he knew where the militant leader was hiding.
- Four Political Parties Want Jega Fired [Premium Times] Four Nigerian political parties have threatened to pull out of the March 28 and April 11 elections if the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, refuses to suspend the use of card readers.
- Fuel Scarcity - Nigerian Govt to Pay U.S.$30 Billion Exchange Rate Differentials to Marketers [Premium Times] The Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, said on Wednesday that the Federal Government had agreed to pay 30 billion dollars foreign exchange differentials owed to oil marketers.
- No Booby Traps in Keshi's Contract - Amodu [Vanguard] Technical Director of the Nigeria Football Federation and former Super Eagles coach Amodu Shuaibu has dismissed Stephen Keshi's allegations that the NFF's contract offered him was laden with booby traps.
- Court Declares Young Democratic Party Duly Registered Political Party [This Day] Abuja -With about three weeks to the general election, a Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to accord full recognition to the Young Democratic Party, having been deemed registered as a political party. Young Democratic Party had sued the INEC, Mr. Peter Fayose, Dr Kayode Ayemi, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and All Progressives Congress (APC), as 1st to 6th defendants respectively.
- Photos: Nollywood Fashionista Mercy Aigbe Arrives London From Istanbul Turkey
- In Pictures: Oyinbo Wife, Ufuoma Ejenobor Poses With Mixed Baby Boy
- Tonto Dikeh Marries Snoop Dogg: Nollywood Actress Shares Wedding Photo, See Her Dream Husband
- Nollywood Actor Femi Branch Marks Daughter’s 7th Birthday With Touching Message
- Photos: Prince Ekeh & Robert Peters Meet In Atlanta Georgia
- “Genevieve Nnaji Loves Dbanj Like Crazy But He’s Unserious” – Kokomaster’s Friend, JJC Skillz
- Photo News: Blue Lippy Look, A New Fashion Trend Among Nigerian Celebrities
- Photos: Ini Edo, Kenneth Okolie, Imeh Bishop Umoh Shooting Desperate Housegirls TV Series
- Photos: Uche Jombo’s Brother, Nelson Joins Nollywood, Releases Luke Of Lies Movie
- Photo: Sikiratu Sindodo Drags Ngozi Nwosu & Kelvin Ikeduba To Nollywood Yoruba Movie Set
- Fans Claim Toyin Aimakhu Kissing An Alhaji In Dis Photo… Do U Agree?
- Photos: Richard Mofe Damijo’s Son’s Wife Gives Birth To Baby Boy [PHOTOS]
- Photos: Chacha Eke Faani Rocks Maiden Look On New Nollywood Movie Set
- Boko Haram Attacked Njaba Village In Borno Today, Killed 68 Women & Children
- Photos: Car Accident In Yaba Lagos, Multi Vehicle Collision Sent 6 To The Hospital
- Photo: Mad Woman Burnt Alive After She Was Mistaken For A Suicide Bomber In Bauchi
- Nigerian Woman Kept Husband’s Corpse At Home For 3 Years To Prevent Family From Hearing About His Death
- Adopted Son Sends Robbers To Bishop House To Steal Church’s Offering, Suspects Killed By Police
- Video: Patience Jonathan Tells PDP Members To Stone APC Supporters In Calabar, First Lady Turns Comedian
- Fatal Accident In Anambra: Trailer Fell On Bus In Ogidi, Idemili, 5 Killed
- Igbinedion University Law Student Raped By Coursemate Says He Threatens To Release Nude Photos Of Her
- Armed Robbers Attack Emmanuel Baptist Church In Ilorin Kwara State, Rob Pastors
- Hotel Manager Stabbed To Death By Robbers In Epe Lagos [PHOTO]
- Photo: Man Beats Wife, Bites Off Step Son’s Ear In Ebute Metta Lagos, Storms Police Station Naked
- Photos: Video Shows Foreign Boko Haram Fighters, ISIS Beheading Two Nigerians, Spies
- Photos: Indian Man Who Faked His Own Kidnap In Abuja Nigeria To Get Money From Employer Jailed
- IHG, Wavecrest launch hospitality academy in Nigeria INTERCONTINENTAL Hotels Group in collaboration with Wavecrest College of Hospitality, has announced [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 19:27]
- ASSE moves to achieve optimal occupational safety THE Nigeria chapter of American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) has said its vision to achieve [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 19:26]
- Stakeholders to sustain auto policys implementation plan STAKEHOLDERS in the nation’s automotive industry have agreed to leave no stone unturned in their [Tuesday, 03 March 2015 20:49]
- NNPC canvasses support for Nigerian-owned vessels THE Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) has pledged to provide necessary support to all [Tuesday, 03 March 2015 20:48]
- Heavy importation threatening local manufacturers, says BoI APPARENTLY worried by the high level of low capacity utilization occasioned by huge imports of [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 19:29]
- Safety experts harp on compliance with global standards FOLLOWING projection that Nigeria could emerge one of the world’s leading economies by 2030, the [Tuesday, 03 March 2015 20:46]
- MTN Group records $12.4 billion profit, claims 223.4milliom subscribers •Expends N30.5b on diesel, N176b on taxes in Nigeria DESPITE claiming low performance from [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 19:27]
- Fidelity Bank targets new industrial clusters for funding Disburses N80 million to entrepreneurs under CBN MSME scheme DESPITE the challenges mitigating [Tuesday, 03 March 2015 20:44]
- Quadri, Meshref are Lagos Open top seeds AS the highest world-rated players listed for the competition, Nigeria’s Aruna Quadri and [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 20:53]
- Delta Federations Cup draws hold in Warri THE draws for the 2015 Federations Cup in Delta State will come up Friday at the Conference Hall of [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 20:50]
- I wish I had Gotv opportunity in my boxing days FORMER Olympian, Jerry Okorodudu, has lamented that an initiative like the GOtv Boxing Night was [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 20:48]
- Keshis slave contract comment uncalled for, says Okocha FORMER Super Eagles captain, Austin Jay-Jay Okocha has described as ‘unprofessional’ a declaration [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 18:53]
- 2015 budget: Sports may get zero allocation THE House of Representatives Wednesday warned that the nation’s sports would get zero [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 20:58]
- Goals rain, as BOA Lawyers League begins TWELVE goals were scored on the opening day of the 2015 13th Bankole Olumide Aluko tournament, also [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 18:49]
- LMC goes tough on substandard venues, bans Nnewi, Nembe, Uyo stadia THE League Management Company (LMC) is bent on ensuring that only stadia, which meet its conditions [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 20:56]
- N1.6m scholarship excites Mobil Championship stars THE news that over N1.6 million is up for grabs has excited students currently vying for top spots [Wednesday, 04 March 2015 20:55]
- Cash strapped Team Nigeria departs for Addis Ababa AFTER ‘struggling’ for days to raise money, a contingent of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria [Tuesday, 03 March 2015 20:57]
A Federal High Court in Lagos on Thursday ordered the service of court papers on the Police Service Commission in Abuja in a suit seeking declaration that an Assistant Inspector General of Police, Mr. Joseph Mbu, is unfit to remain a police officer of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The ex parte application for leave… [Read More…]
No bail for political thugs, Ogun CP warns The new Commissioner of Police in Ogun State, Mr. Valentine Ntomchukwu, has warned politicians and political thugs in the state to avoid violence in the coming general elections, saying that anyone caught perpetrating violence will be arrested and prosecuted. He said this on Thursday at the Ogun commands headquarters at Eleweran, Abeokuta, the state capital, Leave-a-Comment-
A-former-Speaker-of-the-ECOWAS-Parliament,-Chief-Moa-Ohuabunwa,-has-advocated-the-recalling-of-non--performing-legislators,-especially-National-Assembly-members,-to-check-docility-and-rascality-among-them.-Ohuabunwa,-during-an-interaction-with-members-of-the-Abia-State-chapter-of-the-Correspondents-Chapel-of-the-Nigeria-Union-of-Journalists-on-Thursday-in-Umuahia,-said… [Read-More…]-Insist-on-card-readers,-lawmaker-urges-Nigerians">March 6, 2015 by Stephen Ukandu
A former Speaker of the ECOWAS Parliament, Chief Moa Ohuabunwa, has advocated the recalling of non- performing legislators, especially National Assembly members, to check docility and rascality among them. Ohuabunwa, during an interaction with members of the Abia State chapter of the Correspondents Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists on Thursday in Umuahia, said… [Read More…]
Insist on card readers, lawmaker urges Nigerians The lawmaker representing the Lagos East Sentorial District, Senator Gbenga Ashafa, has urged Nigerians to insist on using the electronic card reader for the forthcoming general elections. Ashafa also described the plot to remove the Independent National Electoral Commission Chairman, Prof. Attahiru Jega, as an attempt to scuttle the elections. Ashafa, who received the APCs Leave-a-Comment-
Hundreds-of-candidates-wishing-to-sit-for-MondaysUnified-Tertiary-Matriculation-Examination-escaped-death-in-Jos-after-they-were-fired-at-by-policemen-called-to-maintain-law-and-order.-This-happened-on-Wednesday-after-they-went-berserk-following-the-inability-of-the-authorities-to-release-examination-slips-to-them.-The-candidates-had-gathered-at-the-Murtala… [Read-More…]-NAssembly-slashes-own-budget-by-25%">March 6, 2015 by Jude Owuamanam and Success Nwogu
Hundreds of candidates wishing to sit for MondaysUnified Tertiary Matriculation Examination escaped death in Jos after they were fired at by policemen called to maintain law and order. This happened on Wednesday after they went berserk following the inability of the authorities to release examination slips to them. The candidates had gathered at the Murtala… [Read More…]
NAssembly slashes own budget by 25% The Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, said on Thursday that the National Assembly has reduced its overhead in the 2015 budget by 25 percent in response to the economic realities in the country. Ekweremadu said the action would also help to boost the capital expenditure quotient in the 2015 fiscal year. He said, “This year, Leave-a-Comment-
A-boat-transporting-migrants-has-capsized-off Sicily,-killing-at-least-10-people, the-Italian-coast-guard-says.-Scores-of-people-have-died-in-recent-months-as-waves-of-migrants-from-North Africa-and-Middle-East-conflict-zones-attempt-to-reach-Europe.-A-tugboat-for-Libyan-oil-platforms-alerted-authorities-to-the-capsized-boat and-an-Italian-coast-guard… [Read-More…]-Last-Ebola-patient-discharged-in-Liberia">March 5, 2015 by aljazeera
A boat transporting migrants has capsized off Sicily, killing at least 10 people, the Italian coast guard says. Scores of people have died in recent months as waves of migrants from North Africa and Middle East conflict zones attempt to reach Europe. A tugboat for Libyan oil platforms alerted authorities to the capsized boat and an Italian coast guard… [Read More…]
Last Ebola patient discharged in Liberia Liberia has released its last Ebola patient and begun its countdown to being declared Ebola free. “I am one of the happiest human beings today on earth because it was not easy going through this situation and coming out alive,” 58-year old English teacher Beatrice Yardolo told the AP news agency after her release. She kept Leave-a-Comment-
Suspected-Boko-Haram-fighters-have-killed-dozens-of people,-including-many-children,-in-a-massacre-in-the-northeastern-Nigeria-village-of-Njaba,-security-sources-and-witnesses-have-said.-The-Reuters-news-agency-cited-security-forces-as-saying-that-at-least-45-people-were-killed-by-members-of-the-armed-group-in-Borno-state,-while-the-AFP… [Read-More…]-Morocco-hosts-Libya-peace-talks">March 5, 2015 by aljazeera
Suspected Boko Haram fighters have killed dozens of people, including many children, in a massacre in the northeastern Nigeria village of Njaba, security sources and witnesses have said. The Reuters news agency cited security forces as saying that at least 45 people were killed by members of the armed group in Borno state, while the AFP… [Read More…]
Morocco hosts Libya peace talks United Nations-brokered peace talks aimed at resolving the political turmoil in Libya have started in Morocco, hours after the airport in the Libyan capital Tripoli was bombed. Warplanes from Libya’s UN-recognised parliament in Tobruk carried out the air strikes on the airport in Tripolii, which is currently governed by a rival administration. The jets hit 16-Comments-
The-United-States-Ambassador-to-Nigeria,-James-Entwistle,-has-called-on-contenders-in-the-forthcoming-general-elections-to-accept-the-results-of-the-elections-in-case-of-defeat.-According-to-him,-politicians-must-also-shun-violent-reactions-to-the-elections-and-seek-redress-only-at-the-courts.-The-envoy-said-this-at-a-conference-in… [Read-More…]-Nigeria’s-situation-worries-Britain,-West-Africa-–-Obasanjo">March 5, 2015 by Adelani Adepegba, Abuja
The United States Ambassador to Nigeria, James Entwistle, has called on contenders in the forthcoming general elections to accept the results of the elections in case of defeat. According to him, politicians must also shun violent reactions to the elections and seek redress only at the courts. The envoy said this at a conference in… [Read More…]
Nigeria’s situation worries Britain, West Africa – Obasanjo Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has said West African countries and Britain are worried about developments in Nigeria. He said this while addressing guests at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta, on Thursday during the celebration of his 78th birthday and 2015 annual summit. Obasanjo, who reiterated his commitment to the country, said each time he
- Video Exclusive: Thabo Mbeki takes a stance on ICT in Africa During the course of Mobile World Congress 2015 former South African President, Thabo Mbeki, took the stage for Africa Night. During his keynote, the former President took a strong stance towards developing and growing the ICT sector within South Africa as well as throughout Africa. The event focused solely on telecommunications industry’s development in...
- HDS unlocks invaluable information from Telecom Big Data Hitachi Data Systems Corporation (HDS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, today launched Live Insight for Telecom, an advanced and predictive analytics solution that provides telecom service providers with real-time insight into network, service and...
- MWC 2015: Huawei & Surfline set to expand 4G LTE in Ghana At Mobile World Congress 2015 (MWC), Surfline Communications held an intimate press conference in order to disclose to IT News Africa that both parties plan to expand their 4G LTE network collaboration. The agreement is essentially planned to cover all...
- Kenya: Liquid Telecom to re-enter home market Liquid Telecom has stated to media that it is currently set to re-enter Kenya’s retail internet market. Liquid Telecom Kenya CEO, Ben Roberts, told media that the company intends to complete the very many Fibre To The Home (FTTH) projects that the...
- Can technology in classrooms make every child smart? Over 500 educators, school leaders and government officials from 40 countries across the Middle East and Africa gathered at Dubai’s Grand Hyatt Hotel for two days to brainstorm on how technology can augment the quality of education in developing countries...
- MWC 2015: Acer launches Liquid M220 smartphone At Mobile World Congress 2015 (MWC), Acer unveiled the Liquid M220 smartphone. According to Acer, at the unveiling, the Liquid M220 is the first ever Liquid smartphone to run on the Windows Phone 8.1 operating system. At MWC 2015, ST Liew, Smartphone...
- Nigeria: Airtel unveils Solo S355 smartphone Solo and Airtel Nigeria are set to release the Solo S355 smartphone in Nigeria. According to device manufacturer Solo, the device has 4GB of internal storage, which can be expanded upon up to 32GB. The device has a front-facing camera as well as a 3 megapixel...
- Video Exclusive: Ericsson & Rwanda Govt. ink Smart Rwanda agreement At an exclusive press conference, which was held at Mobile World Congress 2015 (MWC), Ericsson and the Rwandan Government inked an agreement that essentially seals the deal for the upcoming Smart Rwanda project. According to Fredrik Jejdling, President of...
- Top 5 myths surrounding DDoS protection Buying in to outdated beliefs and pure myth around DDoS protection is a gamble, says Arbor Networks. Distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks have evolved to become a lot more sinister than they once were. Yet too many organisations are pinning their...
- Kenya: Safaricom reveals new data centre for Eldoret Kenyan operator Safaricom has revealed the opening of a data centre, which will be located in Eldoret Western Kenya. According to both parties, the move is expected to enhance network quality in the North Rift region. The hub, known as the MGW site, has been...
- Ericsson set to deliver the connected kiosk to Rwanda At Mobile World Congress 2015 (MWC), Ericsson and Coca-Cola revealed a pilot project, which is intended to bring mobile connectivity to the African continent. The pilot project is essentially dubbed “Ekocenter”, and is a social enterprise...
- Video Interview: 5G technology set to change the way we connect – Ericsson At Mobile World Congress 2015 (MWC), IT News Africa caught up with Erik Dahlman who is currently one of Ericsson’s top 5G experts. During the course of the interview, Dahlman gives a brief overview of what 5G technology is. Additionally, he discusses...
- Top 10 Strategic Technologies for Education in 2015 Social and economic pressures are forcing senior education leaders to rethink business models and consider a range of new technologies, to bring down the cost of administering education institutions and scale the business, according to research from Gartner....
- Vodafone reveals Instant Classrooms for refugees in Africa The Vodafone Foundation has announced the Instant Classroom initiative, a digital ‘school in a box’, which according to Vodafone, can be set up in a matter of minutes. The initiative is intent on helping pupils in refugee camps as well as offer...
- GSMA Mobile Connect launches in 13 countries The GSMA has revealed that 17 mobile network operators (MNOs) have launched Mobile Connect services in 13 countries since Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2014, with plans for additional launches and beta trials to follow throughout the course of 2015. According...
- MTN Côte d’Ivoire to broadcast live TV channels on smartphones Mobile World Congress 2015 (MWC) is really pulling out all the stops this year. At the event, MTN confirmed a partnership with Summview in order to launch a new service dubbed “MTN TV” on mobile devices. MTN Côte d’Ivoire is now expected to...
INEC to conduct mock election in Kano
From Desmond Mgboh /Kano The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Kano State has disclosed that… ...APC can’t stop PDP –Dickson
‘I’ll leave Bayelsa better than I met it’ FROM FEMI FOLARANMI, YENAGOA Governor Henry Seriake… ...‘Enugu guber: Ugwuanyi is the man to beat’
FROM ALOYSIUS ATTAH, Onitsha What is the preoccupation of your group presently as the elections… ...PDP, Jonathan plan to manipulate elections, implicate opposition leaders –APC
BY RAZAQ BAMDELE All Progressives Congress (APC) has again raised the alarm that Peoples Democratic… ...‘Lagos guber: Why non indigenes support Agbaje’
BY COSMAS OMEGOH President of Ndigbo Cultural Society of Nigeria (NCSN), Chief Udoka Udeogaranya, has… ...MASSOB vows to resist polls conducted by Jega
From CHIDI NNADI, Owerri Movement for the Actualisation of Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) has… ...If Jega goes, heavens won’t fall – Fayose
Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose has described outbursts of the All Progressives Congress (APC)… ...Benue 2015: Idoma as beautiful bride
Benue, like every other state in Nigeria, is politically divided into three senatorial districts: ...Opposition in disarray –Akpabio
Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Godswill Akpabio, has said the All Progressives Congress (APC), was in disarray, adding that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was at this time strategising on how to, not just win election but ensure that they win in peace. ...Why there’s fuel scarcity –APC
All Progressives Congress (APC) has said the real causes of the debilitating fuel scarcity across the country is the alleged looting of the $12 billion domestic gas fund under President Goodluck Jonathan’s watch. ... Why military sought polls’ shift –CDS
It’s PDP’s script, says APC chieftain BY PHILIP NWOSU Nigerian military yesterday gave reasons it… ...Court begins hearing on suit seeking Kashamu’s disqualification
From SEGUN OLATUNJI, Abeokuta The Federal High Court sitting in Abeokuta, Ogun State yesterday began… ...ANGER IN OGUN COMMUNITY
Council boss, others lampoon customs officers for killing innocent residents BY BIMBOLA OYESOLA There is… ...Fire razes Ringim market in Jigawa
From ABDULLAH TSOHO, Dutse No fewer than 16 shops were burnt yesterday following a fire-outbreak… ...N10.9bn scam: Ex-gov Audu attacks EFCC operative
From FRED ITUA, Abuja Former governor of Kogi State, Abubakar Audu, who is currently facing… ...Police raid MASSOB office in Anambra
From EMMANUEL UZOR, Onitsha Policemen from Achalla Police Division in Awka North council area of… ...Dangote Foundation offers N20m scholarships to indigent students
The Dangote Foundation, yesterday made a scholarship donation of N20 million ...We’ll protect lives, properties in war against terror –Jonathan
President Goodluck Jonathan said yesterday that utmost care was being taken by the Federal Government to protect lives and properties of civilians as the military cracks down on insurgents. ...Kano bomb blast: Security chiefs, motorpark leaders in marathon talks
Security chiefs in Kano yesterday held a marathon meeting with the leadership of the various motorparks and garages as part of efforts to check the menace of terrorism in the state. ...Ibadan killing: Ladoja meets Obasanjo
Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, and former governor of Oyo State, Senator Rashidi Ladoja, yesterday met in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, over the mayhem that led to the death of three supporters of the Accord Party at Odinjo area of Ibadan on Sunday. ...FG to seize private jets over breach of operating licence
BY LOUIS IBA It appears all is not well with the nation’s aviation sector as… ...Agbakoba advocates states’ control of seaports
…Wants FG to appoint substantive Minister of Shipping BY ALEX AKAO Foremost maritime lawyer and… ...Bol unveils fresh strategy on industrialisation
BY ADEWALE SANYAOLU The Bank of Industry (Bol) has said that it has concluded plans… ...How we’ll boost power supply with coal plant – Dr. Obiyo, CEO, One Nation Energy
FROM DENNIS MERNYI, ABUJA Recently, the Federal Government decried the continued vandalization of pipelines that… ...Auto policy: FG, auto industry stakeholders commit to sustain implementation plans
The Federal Government, vehicle manufacturers, auto dealers and licensed Customs agents, ...Govt owing marketers N185bn, says Okonjo-Iweala
Against the backdrop of allegations by the Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN) that the Federal Government was owing them N250 billion, government yesterday said it was owing only N185 billion. ...Blame naira devaluation, CBN policies for fuel scarcity –Marketers
As the fuel supply situation across the country entered its third day today, fuel marketing companies, yesterday, heaped the blame on the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), saying its devaluation of the naira was responsible for the long queues currently being witnessed in filling stations. ...US firm to invest $1bn in Nigeria’s housing scheme
An American firm, Cantor Fitzgerald, plans to invest over $1 billion into the Nigerian housing project with a view to reducing its over 17 million housing deficit. ...FG pledges to support co-operative movements
The Federal Government has restated its commitment to engage in building greater and enduring partnerships with Nigerian cooperative movement for the realisation of the nation’s socio-economic development goals through the cooperative growth model. ...FIRS launches online tax payment
Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) yesterday assured that taxpayers can now pay their taxes online by logging unto the internet banking platform of any commercial bank in Nigeria. ...My favourite “spot” is my bedroom –Ikechukwu Onyeka,veteran filmmaker
BY AYO ALONGE Ikechukwu Onyeka is a renowned filmmaker in Nollywood and a graduate… ...Weight loss, general body wellness my passion – Tochi Charles-Egbe
BY KATE HALIM Tochi Charles-Egbe knew when she had enough of her weight. Having tried… ...I shuttle Nigeria, South Africa for movie roles –Oghenekaro Lydia Itene
By NKECHI CHIMA Fast rising actress cum makeup artiste, Oghenekaro Lydia Itene, has been making… ...My music’ll illuminate the world -Ziduak
By Damilola Fatunmise Her name may not ring a bell but Ziduak Fidelis is surely… ...Charles Inojie, Funke Akindele dazzle in Mr Potosky
By ZIKA BOBBY Versatile comedian, Charles Inojie, actresses Funke Akindele and Helen Paul dazzle in… ...Pasuma to Muri Thunder: Let peace reign
By TOSIN AKINOLA
Fuji music star, Wasiu Alabi aka Pasuma Wonder, has reacted to claims by another… ...Omobaba VS Emeka Smith: Who is the better rib cracker?
Stand-up comedy has become one of the most thriving arms of the Nigerian entertainment industry… ...Day female fan pounced on me–Blackface
Ahmedu Augustine Obiabo (aka Blackface,) a member of the now defunct Plantashun Boyz, the group… ...Lessons my late dad taught me–Daniel Kanayo Daniel (DKD)
By Christian Agadibe Daniel Kanayo Daniel (aka DKD) is fast becoming one of the most… ...Joke Silva, my role model–Onyeka Emechebe
First runner-up, Next Movie Star (NMS) 2014, Onyeka Emechebe, opens up on her journey so… ...
- 2015: Elections May Not Hold as New Party Seeks Extension [05 Mar 2015]
- Sambo Condoles with Obaigbena on Brother's Death [05 Mar 2015]
- APC Youths Threaten To Occupy Aso Rock, Major Cities [05 Mar 2015]
- Fire Guts Dickson's House in Yenagoa [05 Mar 2015]
- Badeh: Timing of Delivery of Hardware Influenced Calls for Polls’ Postponement [05 Mar 2015]
- INEC: Over 80% of PVCs Collected [05 Mar 2015]
- Mugabe: Nigerian Witchdoctors Planned to Kill Me [05 Mar 2015]
- For Dangote, Elumelu, Ovia, Others, Foreign Currency Loans Hurt the Bottom Line [05 Mar 2015]
- Delta Govt, Tambuwal, Fashola, Amosun, Others Condole with Obaigbena Family [05 Mar 2015]
- Lawan: I Collected $500,000 Bribe Offer [12 Jun 2012]
- Buhari’s Brain is Dead, Says Patience Jonathan [04 Mar 2015]
- Mugabe: Nigerian Witchdoctors Planned to Kill Me [05 Mar 2015]
- Badeh: Timing of Delivery of Hardware Influenced Calls for Polls’ Postponement [05 Mar 2015]
- Chadian Troops Recapture Dikwa as New Video Shows Beheading by Boko Haram [04 Mar 2015]