- How Boko Haram recruits Niger Republic youths with $3,000
- Soldiers shut down Nyanya road
- LASU: ASUU disrupts deputy VC’s election
- ACF, NEF, Umar caution Jonathan •Over altercation with Nyako
- Terrorists have declared war on Nigeria —Buhari
- $5BN OIL BLOCKS SALE: EFCC, ICPC, FOREIGN GOVTS TO SCRUTINISE BIDDERS
- 190 schoolgirls still missing —Principal
- I will not condone militancy, insurgency in Nasarawa —Al-Makura
- Nyako’s memo: Northern govs meet Thursday •ACF backs Nyako
- Sanusi accuses FRC of trying to condemn his tenure
- ABDUCTED SCHOOLGIRLS LAST ONE WEEK, MY WORST DAYS - BORNO GOV •7 more girls found, 77 still missing •CAN declares 3-day fasting
- Easter: Pope pleads for end to terrorist attacks in Nigeria
- Jonathan to govs: Do more for your states •Says Boko Haram cannot divide Nigeria
- Gunmen set 5-yr-old girl, staff quarters, vehicles ablaze in Bauchi
- Dengue fever outbreak imminent in Nigeria, expert warns
- We’re in Abuja with you, Boko Haram tells Jonathan
- Hundreds of girls kidnapped from Nigeria school - Fox News
- Niger hit by Nigeria's Boko Haram fallout - BBC News
Niger hit by Nigeria's Boko Haram falloutBBC NewsA member of a gang in Niger says Boko Haram Islamist militants from Nigeria regularly come across the border, looking for recruits. "We can't contact them, they come to us," says the young man, who looks like he is barely out of his teens. Five members ...
- One Week After Abduction, More Than 200 Girls Still Missing in Nigeria - The Wire
- Still no sign of girls abducted from Nigeria school by Islamic militants - CTV News
- Outrage Over Nigeria Abductions Spikes - Voice of America
- Chibok abductions in Nigeria: 'More than 230 seized' - BBC News
Chibok abductions in Nigeria: 'More than 230 seized'BBC NewsSome 190 Nigerian schoolgirls remain missing after being abducted last week, their head teacher has told the BBC - far more than the official figure. Asabe Kwambura said the parents of 230 girls had reported them missing but 40 had managed to escape.
- Parents search for abducted Nigeria girls, say 234 missing - Reuters
Parents search for abducted Nigeria girls, say 234 missingReutersMonday's mass abduction of teenage schoolgirls by Boko Haram from Chibok school, which the governor visited on Monday, shocked Nigeria, a nation long used to hearing about brutal attacks on civilians in the northeast. It also underlined how powerless ...
- More Than 200 Nigerian Girls Still Missing After School Kidnapping - Huffington Post
More Than 200 Nigerian Girls Still Missing After School KidnappingHuffington PostCHIBOK, Nigeria (AP) — Some 234 girls are missing from the northeast Nigerian school attacked last week by Islamic extremists, significantly more than the 85 reported by education officials, parents told the state governor Monday. The higher figure ...
- Boko Haram leader claims bombing, stays mum on kidnapped schoolgirls - CNN
- Terror grips northern Nigeria after 'Boko Haram' kidnappings - Channel 4 News
Terror grips northern Nigeria after 'Boko Haram' kidnappingsChannel 4 NewsLast week's kidnapping of 230 schoolgirls in northern Nigeria, which is being blamed on the Islamist group Boko Haram, has plunged the region into chaos. Will the victims ever be seen again? Please wait while this video loads. If it doesn't load after ...
- 230 girls abducted in Nigeria still missing CHIBOK, Nigeria (AP) — A week after Islamic extremists stormed a remote boarding school in northeast Nigeria, more than 200 girls and young women remain missing despite a "hot pursuit" by security forces and an independent search by desperate fathers who headed into a dangerous forest to find their daughters.
- Exclusive: Nigeria favors local firms in $40 billion oil contract awards Nigeria has awarded most of its long-term oil contracts worth an estimated $40 billion a year to local companies, according to a confidential list seen by Reuters, meaning global traders need to partner with them to access crude from Africa's top producer.
- Nigeria preacher: Healer or controversial leader? LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — It's Sunday, and 15,000 people are seated in the enormous arena-like church, fanning themselves against the dusty humid air in Nigeria.
- Nigeria gunmen raze teachers residence at girls school Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) - Gunmen in northern Nigeria set fire to a staff residential building at a girls' secondary school on Sunday but the 195 students sleeping in their nearby dormitories were unharmed, police and a teacher said. The attack in Bauchi state came less than a week after Boko Haram Islamists kidnapped 129 teenage schoolgirls from the Chibok area of Borno state in the northeast. "At ...
- Nigeria: Boko Haram Will Not Defeat US - Gov. Shettima MAIDUGURI (NIGERIA), April 23 (BERNAMA-NNN- AGENCIES) -- Gov Kashim Shettima of Borno said that the Boko Haram insurgents would not emerge victorious in their continued killing and maiming of innocent Nigerians.
- Nigeria's bloody battle against extremists Bystanders react as victims of a bomb blast arrive at the Asokoro General Hospital in Abuja on Monday. Who Are Boko Haram? Extremists Escalate Nigeria Terror Campaign
- Nigeria target semifinals in FIFA U20 Women's World Cup Abuja (Nigeria), April 22 (IANS) Nigeria hope to reach the semifinals in the FIFA's U-20 Women's World Cup to be hosted by Canada in August With an appearance in the previous World Cup semifinal, the West African country's U20 female team, also known as Falconets, would have surpassed their previous records, Dilichukwu Onyedinma, a board member of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) said here ...
- Nigeria, Norway in battle over child custody Nigeria and Norway are locked in a battle over the custody of a one-year old baby boy of Nigerian parentage. Baby George, who was born to a Nigerian man and woman, Queen Agho, has been in the custody of Norwegian Child Welfare Authority since April 30, 2014, 18 days after his birth. Norway is notorious... [Read More...]
- Nigeria leads AU debate on conflict-free Africa Nigeria will on Thursday lead the 15-member AU Peace and Security Council on a debate to evolve a mechanism for the effort to attain a conflict-free Africa by 2020, Amb. Bulus Paul Lolo, has said. Lolo, Nigeria’s Ambassador to Ethiopia and Permanent Representative to the African Union, is chairing the session for the Security Council for... [Read More...]
- Nigeria: Insecurity - It's Civil War - - Gowon [Vanguard]General Yakubu Gowon, who led Nigeria through a 30-month civil war, yesterday, lamented that the country had fallen into full scale civil war with the spate of crises in the northeast.
- Ex-Militia Fights Delta Oil Theft [CAJ News]Abuja -A former leader of Niger Delta militants, Felix Timilaemi, has launched a voluntary campaign against oil theft in Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.
- Need to Ramp Up Aid Response in Northeast [IRIN]Kano -Security fears, a lack of humanitarian actors on the ground and a perception that Nigeria's government can handle its crises without help, are leaving many of the thousands displaced by Boko Haram violence in the northeast short of food, with little to no access to health care or basics like clean water and blankets.
- D'Banj Visits Nyanya Blast Victims [Premium Times]A popular Nigerian musician, Dapo Oyebanji aka D-banj, on Tuesday in Abuja urged Nigerian youth to shun violence and embrace peace.
- New Constitution Jonathan's Men Lobby Senators - Want Ekweremadu Committee Bill Revisited [Daily Trust]A proposal to empower President Jonathan to come up with a new national constitution may be reintroduced in the Senate, following intense lobbying on behalf of the president, Daily Trust learnt.
- Principal, Parents Say 234 Schoolgirls Still Missing [Daily Trust]The number of girls abducted by suspected Boko Haram insurgents from a school in Borno State is nearly twice the figure given earlier by the school and state officials.
- Nyako - Emergency Patriot [Vanguard]MURTALA Hamman-Yero Nyako, at 70, should be taken seriously. A former Chief of Naval Staff, a former Deputy Chief of Defence Staff, who left service as Vice Admiral, his position as Governor of Adamawa State since 2007, makes him one of Nigeria's top political actors.
- The Hunt for Smugglers At the Coast [Deutsche Welle]Smugglers and pirates endanger the shipping route at the Nigerian coast. Nigerian soldiers enter a German frigate as part of a naval exercise dubbed Obangame Express in order to practice tackling that threat.
- Ex-Army Chief Flays Abduction of Schoolgirls [Daily Trust]Ilorin -Former Chief of Army Chief, General Abdulrahman Dambazzau, has called for the immediate release of the abducted students of the Government Girls Secondary School Chibok, Borno State.
- Is Nigeria Losing War Against Boko Haram? [VOA]Dakar -The Nigerian militant sect Boko Haram says it carried out the deadly bombing in the capital, Abuja, last week that killed at least 71 people. Nigerians' confidence in the government and the military's ability to deal with Boko Haram has reached a new low.
- No Helicopter Supplying Weapons to Boko Haram - FG [Daily Trust]The Federal Government says it is not true that Boko Haram insurgents are ferried in by helicopters along with their weapons likely from foreign lands to launch their attacks.
- Abducted School Girls Latest - What We Saw in Sambisa Forest - Parents [Vanguard]Maiduguri -Parents of school girls abducted last Tuesday from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists, yesterday, recounted their experience in the dreaded Sambisa forest in search of their daughters who are being held there.
- 2014 Budget to Be Sent to Jonathan Today - NASS [Vanguard]CLERK of the National Assembly, Salisu Maikasuwa said, yesterday, that the 2014 budget will be sent to President Goodluck Jonathan today for his assent.
- Confab - Insecurity, Devolution of Power, Regionalism, Others Top Agenda [Vanguard]DELEGATES will today break into 20 standing committees on issues relating to national security, federalism, devolution of power, regionalism, indigeneship, state creation, roles for traditional rulers, minority rights, ethnic nationalities, revenue allocation, resource control, corruption and immunity clause, among others, expected to dominate at the national confab.
- Lagos Carnival - FG Calls for More Local Content [Vanguard]Lagos -As the eight-day Lagos carnival ended yesterday, the Federal Government called for the inclusion of more local content in such carnivals in the country.
- Electricity Problems Beyond Our Control - Discos [Vanguard]Resolution of the country's epileptic power situation appears to be far-fetched at the moment, as the power distribution companies have disclosed that most of the factors responsible for the problems bedeviling the Nigerian power sector are beyond their control.
- Flight Operations Resume At Kaduna Int'l Airport [Leadership]Flight operations has again resumed at the Kaduna International airport.
- Easing the Burden of Hydro Power Producing States With HYPPADEC Law [Leadership]Having resolved all grey areas, the Senate has passed the long awaited Hydro-electric Power Producing Areas Development Commission (HYPPADEC) bill, the president's accent is all that is now required to give life to the commission.
- Mass Abduction Latest - 234 Girls Taken, Not 129 - Parents, Principal [Leadership]Controversy is surrounding the abduction of female students by the Boko Haram sect from the Government Girls Secondary School (GGSS) in Chibok, Borno State last week, as the actual number of girls taken is now uncertain. Parents of the missing girls said yesterday that 234 of their daughters remain unaccounted for.
- Northern Governors to Discuss Nyako's Memo Thursday [Leadership]The 19 northern governors are to meet on Thursday to discuss the issues raised by the governor of Adamawa State, Murtala Nyako in his memo to the Northern States Governors' Forum (NSGF) last week.
- Security Sources Not Fair to Gov Shettima - Spokesman [Leadership]The spokesman for the Borno State governor Kashim Shettima, Isa Gusau has faulted media reports that the governor is one of those working against the military's counter-insurgency operations in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.
- Red Cross assists victims of explosion in Nigeria [IFRC]When an explosion ripped through a crowded bus terminal not far from Nigeria's capital Monday, staff and volunteers from the Nigerian Red Cross Society were on the scene immediately.
- Delta Premier Appeals for Citizens Support in Terror Fight [CAJ News]Abuja -DELTA State Governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan, has challenged citizens in the country to complement government's effort at combating insecurity.
- Governor Loses Sleep Over Girls' Abduction [CAJ News]Abuja -DAYS after the abduction of more than 120 schoolgirls in the area, Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, described the period as the worst in his life.
- PDP Speaks On APC Security Meeting "Snub" [CAJ News]Abuja -THE ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned governors under the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) for allegedly boycotting security meeting convened by President Goodluck Jonathan to review the escalating security situation in the country.
- Al-Saied Goal Gives Ahly Narrow Advantage [CAF]Egyptians Al-Ahly laboured to a narrow victory while Nigerians Bayelsa United and Ghanaians Medeama suffered setbacks at the weekend in Orange CAF Confederation Cup play-offs. A powerful Abdullah Al-Saied shot earned Ahly a 1-0 first-leg win over Moroccans Difaa El-Jadidi in a game played behind closed doors at a Cairo military stadium for security reasons.
- Don't Contest Presidency in 2015, Ebute Tells Tambuwal [Daily Trust]Former Senate President Ameh Ebute has advised the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, against contesting the country's presidency in 2015 saying it is a dream that is not achievable.
- Fani Kayode's Strange Nightmare (II) [Daily Trust]Thirdly, and this point has been made severally, pilgrimage is one of the five pillars of Islam and is compulsory for Muslims to perform it in Mecca.
- The Homeless Get Help From 'Benue Youth Lend a Hand' [Daily Trust]They are homeless, without food and proper healthcare, living in camps that lack water. They are the displaced people of Guma local government in Benue state, where the crisis between herdsmen and farmers have sent them away from their homes in the villages.
- Cash Sprayers Risk Prosecution, Says CNB [CAJ News]Lagos -THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has warned that it would soon take punitive action against individuals who spray cash at social functions.
- Kogi Bridge Construction Set for Year-End [CAJ News]Abuja -KOGI State Government is upbeat the Confluence Bridge will increase investments into the state.
- Happy Birthday, Ini Edo Turns 32 Today!
- Ini Edo Shares Bikini Picture, Goes Spiritual On Instagram
- Genevieve Nnaji Rocks Aso Ebi At Emeka Carter’s Wedding In Nnewi, Anambra State
- Photos: Kannywood Actor Sani Musa Danja’s Birthday Party In Abuja
- Stephanie Okereke & Husband Celebrate 2nd Wedding Anniversary
- YMAA 2014: Celebrities At Yoruba Movie Academy Awards In Ibadan
- Omotola Jalade Gets MTV 2014 Award Nomination
- Rita Dominic Honours PA & Makeup Artist
- Femi Branch In Unpaid Debt Scandal As Lady Demands N130K Loan Repayment
- Tricia Eseigbe Talks About Husband, Marriage & Male Admirers
- Uche Jombo Flaunts Pregnancy Baby Bump At Movie Premiere In Lagos
- Bob Manuel Udokwu Celebrates Birthday Today!
- Uche Iwuji’s Father Dead: Nollywood Actress Loses Dad
- Armed Robber Killed By Lagos Anti-Robbery Police During Rape Attempt
- Nigerian Student Drowns In Campus Lake At IUT Gazipur In Bangladesh
- 60 Armed Robbers, Cultists Attacked Mushin Lagos…Robbery Lasted For 7 Hours Without Police Presence
- Wife Killed Unfaithful Husband With Knife Over Money In Ikorodu Lagos
- Angry Mother Killed Son With Machete In Uyo, Akwa Ibom State
- Oko Town’s Monarch, Igwe Laz Ekwueme Flees As Subjects Burned Down Palace
- Drunk Mopol Caught Beating Woman In Lagos Arrested & Sacked
- Student Hangs, Kills Landlord’s Daughter In Mbaise, Imo State To Raise WAEC Exam Fee
- “Boko Haram Fighters Are In Abuja” – Shekau Tells President Jonathan
- Boko Haram Members In Army Uniform Bombed Nyanya Abuja Motor Park
- Armed Robbers Attacked UniOsun Off Campus, Raped Female Students
- How Kidnappers Use Pretty Girls Pictures On Badoo.Com To Lure & Kill Men
- Video: Drunk Nigerian Mobile Police Officer, Mopol Beating Food Seller In Obalende Lagos
- Delegates committee may prune FGs powers • Accuse FG of encouraging impunity • Summon CBN, RMAFC, ICRC, others THERE are indications [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 21:26]
- Court strikes out criminal charge against NAICOM chief, Fola Daniel JUSTICE Okon Efreti Abang of a Federal High Court, Lagos, Tuesday struck out a criminal charge [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:50]
- Suspected oil thieves roasted to death in Edo NO fewer than two persons suspected to be involved in oil bunkering were roasted to death in a [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:48]
- Why Nigeria is enmeshed in insecurity, by confab panel MEMBERS of the Committee on National Security at the ongoing national conference Tuesday declared [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 21:13]
- Lawmaker seeks increased protection for girl-child A MEMBER of the House of Representatives and Chairman, House Committee on Diaspora Matters, Abike [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:47]
- Suspected terrorists kill Borno council APC chairman, youth leader • ‘Abducted girls will be found’ VIOLENCE is yet to abate in Borno State as gunmen suspected to be [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 21:07]
- Researchers identify new variant of Ebola virus in Guinea RESEARCHERS from Inserm (Jean Mérieux-Inserm BSL-4 Laboratory, Lyon, France and the Institut [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 21:05]
- Police alert over rising students role in crime • Lawmakers ask Ahmed to tackle flood KWARA State Police Command has raised the alarm over alleged [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:37]
- Jonathan meets 36 govs, security chiefs today AN enlarged security meeting is expected to hold between President Goodluck Jonathan, 36 state [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 21:03]
- External trade volume up by 5.9 % NIGERIA’S total foreign trade volume has grown by 5.9 per cent,even as the country’s external [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 15:59]
- Niger to build N1.3b mall in Minna THE Niger State government said on Sunday that it is to spend N1.3 billion in the construction of [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 15:56]
- U.S. wants closer economic ties with Africa GOVERNOR of Maryland, United States, Martin O’ Malley has called for the re-establishment and [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 14:19]
- Govt commences review of gas export agreements TO check the problems of gas to power plants in the nation’s electricity thermal plants, [Monday, 21 April 2014 17:23]
- PwC completes acquisition of Booz & Company PWC said it has successfuly completed its business combination with Booz and Company. [Monday, 21 April 2014 16:21]
- Senate explains ports concessioning scheme THE Senate Committee on Commercialization and Privatization has said that the Federal Government [Monday, 21 April 2014 17:22]
- CBN abolishes extant rules on financial HoldCo structure • Seeks input on new draft guidelines THE Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has affirmed that [Sunday, 20 April 2014 18:16]
- Govt owes major marketers N53.6b fuel subsidy • Anxiety mounts over imminent removal of subsidy THE nation may soon be thrown into another [Monday, 21 April 2014 17:18]
- Transcorp may raise $1b debt to build power plants TRANSNATIONAL Corporation of Nigeria Plc, which has interests in industries ranging from [Sunday, 20 April 2014 17:36]
- Why Nigeria must boost gas utilisation, by Obi THE Executive Vice Chairman, Techno Oil Limited, Mrs. Nkechi Obi has stressed the need for the [Monday, 21 April 2014 17:17]
- NPA boss seeks review of concession agreement THE Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Habib Abdullahi, has called for a review [Sunday, 20 April 2014 17:31]
- NFF needs presidential task force, says Maigari •Keshi to rework on team list THE Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Tuesday declared its readiness [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:21]
- Uche still hopeful of making World Cup team VILLARREAL striker, Ikechukwu Uche, who many believe will not make Coach Stephen Keshi’s team to [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:19]
- Ansar-Ud-Deen Grammar School, Lagos, wins Philip Asiodu trophy ANSAR-UD-DEEN Grammar School, Lagos, at the weekend in Umuahia defeated Comprehensive High School, [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 16:37]
- MTN Football Scholar Season Four kicks off THERE was great excitement among young football enthusiasts, who are aiming to combine football [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:18]
- Three year ban: Kaduna United FC warns supporters to steer clear of its matches THE management of Kaduna United FC on Tuesday warned members of the supporters club to steer clear [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 16:03]
- Feyenoord arrives for NNPC/Shell Cup THE Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd (SPDC) has entered a strategic [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:16]
- Forget Nigeria, well qualify alongside Argentina, boasts Bosnia coach BOSNIA and Herzegovina Coach, Safet Susic, is sure that his team would beat Nigeria to the second [Monday, 21 April 2014 20:13]
- Etisalat, Skye Bank book Remita Corporate Champions Cup final tickets ETISALAT and Skye Bank stormed back from imminent defeats in their respective semi-final clashes [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 20:13]
- Three friendlies not enough for Eagles, says Laloko Accuses Mourinho, Rogers of hampering Mikel, Moses’ growth WITH the Nigeria Football Federation [Monday, 21 April 2014 20:11]
- AFN Golden league train moves to Ilorin • Asumnu, others battle in Penn Relays in USA THE Athletics Federation of Nigeria’s (AFN) premier [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 19:33]
- NFF technical committee, Keshi meet over World Cup, other issues BARRING any last minute change, the Technical Committee of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) [Monday, 21 April 2014 20:09]
- Heineken, LCM back Apapa Club Tennis Tourney THE Apapa Club will come alive this weekend as are the much-anticipated Tennis Tournament [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 19:32]
- Red Devils former master dribbler, Onyeanwuna, passes on ALBERT Onyeanwuna, who has been described by various followers of Nigerian football as the best [Monday, 21 April 2014 20:06]
- Ukpong lists challenges to cricket development TEAM Manager of the senior national team, Okon Ukpong, has disclosed that the major challenge [Tuesday, 22 April 2014 16:42]
News Soldiers, police deployed as rainstorm destroys prison wall A large number of policemen and soldiers have been deployed in the Kirikiri Maximum Prisons, Lagos, after a rainstorm collapsed its fence last Sunday, the PUNCH has learnt. Our correspondent learnt that after the building collapsed, prisons officials rallied around and ordered the inmates into their cells. It was learnt that the prisons authorities subsequently
Make rescue of abducted schoolgirls a priority The Osun State Governor, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola, on Tuesday urged the Federal Government to make the rescue of the Government Secondary School girls in Borno State a priority. The pupils were abducted last week by suspected Boko Haram members. While some of them have escaped from their captors, others are still being held. Aregbesola spoke
Group says Nigerian youth lack platform for expression A youth organisation, Shift Initiative, has said youths in the country did not have platforms to express their creative ability and talents. The group also said there was the need for financial empowerment for them to be able to live their dreams. The convener of the Lagos Shift 2014, Charles Kpandei, stated this in the
BHaram: President, govs set for stormy meeeting today President Goodluck Jonathan is expected to meet the 36 state governors and security chiefs on Wednesday (today) in continuation of his administrations efforts at ending the security challenges in parts of the country. The enlarged meeting of the National Security Council is a follow-up to an earlier one the President had with the Peoples Democratic
Gunmen sack Taraba village, kill 25 The orgy of violence in the Northern part of the country continued on Monday night with gunmen setting the entire village of Andoyaku in the Wukari Local Government Area of Taraba State ablaze. Twenty-five persons lost their lives to the incident which forced nearly all the residents to flee their homes. As news of the
Abacha sacked me because of Obasanjo –Jimeta A former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Gambo Jimeta, said he was fired by a former military Head of State, late Gen. Sani Abacha as IGP because of his suggestion that political detainees including Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Shehu Musa YarAdua and others should be released unconditionally. He also shocked members of the National Security
Attah, Coomasie clash at inaugural session A disagreement erupted on Tuesday between a former Inspector General of Police, Alhaji Ibrahim Coomasie and a former Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Obong Victor Attah, during the inaugural session of the Committee on Devolution of Powers of the National Conference They disagreed in their inaugural address on their expectations from the committee. Also, the
Finance Committee blasts FG, states for impunity The Committee on Public Finance and Revenue on Tuesday accused the Federal Government and state governments of operating with recklessness in dealing with local contractors. The committee also agreed to invite officials of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Department of Petroleum Resources, Revenue Mobilization Allocation and Fiscal Commission, and the Infrastructure concession and Regulatory Commission
Ozekhome seeks creation of Supreme Courts for states A legal practitioner and civil rights activist representing the Federal Government in the National Conference, Mr. Mike Ozekhome (SAN), on Tuesday, kicked against the existing judicial structure in the country. He said the existence of only one Supreme Court was greatly contributing to the slow dispensation of justice in Nigeria. He also said that the
BHaram will be defeated–Shettima Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima said on Tuesday that the Boko Haram insurgents would be defeated in their continued killing and maiming of innocent Nigerians. Shettima, the News Agency of Nigeria reported, stated this while speaking with newsmen in Maiduguri, the Borno Strate capital, following the recent attack and abduction of some female students of
Abia chiefs endorse Abaribe Traditional prime ministers in the South Senatorial District of Abia State on Monday endorsed the governorship ambition of the Senate spokesperson, Senator Eyinnaya Abaribe, in the 2015 general election. The traditional chiefs, according to a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, also asked Abaribe, who was a former Deputy Governor of Abia State, to declare his
Cabinet support: Fayemi denies Bamideles claim Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi has denied the claim by a member of the House of Representatives and governorship candidate of the Labour Party in the June 21 poll in the state, Mr. Opeyemi Bamidele, that he had the support of key members of the governors cabinet. In a statement by Fayemis media aide, Mr
- 10 African cities with free Wi-Fi If Internet use proliferates in Africa at the rate mobile phones did in the early 2000s, the continent stands to add as much as $300 billion to its economic growth by 2025, a new study by the McKinsey Global Institute has found. While most internet connections occur at home or at the workplace, a number ...
- Huawei connects rural Zambia Chinese communications equipment giant Huawei Technologies has launched the first of a series of 169 base stations that will connect rural communities in Zambia to the mobile phone network. The development will bring the latest mobile voice and data...
- Microsoft concludes Nokia Devices and Services transaction Technology giant Microsoft has concluded the purchase of Nokia’s Devices and Services business – which will now be fully part of the Microsoft environment. “We have completed the steps necessary to finalize Microsoft’s acquisition of the Nokia Devices...
- Tanzania needs to focus ICT on underserved As Chinese technology giant Huawei starts rolling out mobile services to rural areas in Zambia, Tanzania’s Minister for Communication, Science and Technology, Prof Makame Mbarawa, has asked Tanzania’s mobile operators to roll out mobile communication...
- Should telcos charge Google, Facebook? The furore around mobile termination rates as Cell C, Vodacom, MTN, Neotel and Telkom duke it out in the media, may well be grabbing headlines lately but really amounts to a minor, public lovers’ spat compared with what looms. The mobile networks are headed...
- Nigeria hosts 3% of malicious content International anti-virus, online security and cybercrime expert Kaspersky Lab kicked off their annual Security Analyst Summit in Budapest, Hungary on Tuesday morning. With a focus on Middle East, Turkey and Africa, the summit is being held in Hungary as the...
- IHS secures $130 million for African expansion IHS Holding, a leading telecommunications infrastructure company, has secured a further $130 million in funding from investors. The capital raised is in addition to the $490 million of debt and equity announced on 03 March 2014. IHS will use the funds to...
- Microsoft takes aim at Africa’s biggest economy- Nigeria Technology giant Microsoft has re-emphasised its commitment to the African continent, and Nigeria specifically. According to newly-appointed General Manager for Microsoft Nigeria, Kabelo Makwane, Microsoft is committed to entrenching itself in Nigeria,...
- Google launches SA election Hub Google today launched the South African Elections Hub, an online portal where voters, journalists and campaigners can easily track all the latest news, trends and information related to the 2014 elections, set to take place on 7 May, marking 20 years of...
- Airtel first to be awarded 3G, 4G licence in Chad Mobile operator Airtel has become the first company to be awarded a 3G and 4G licence in the African nation of Chad. “Mobile devices, using either 3G or even 2.5G EDGE networks, are already the main platform for internet access in Africa, allowing people to...
- PDP members ask court to sack South-West panel Some aggrieved members of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, have urged the Federal High Court in Lagos to invalidate the appointment of the party’s South-West Zone Caretaker Committee. The plaintiffs… ...
- Court strikes out criminal charge against NAICOM boss A Federal High Court judge, Justice Okon Abang has struck out a criminal charge filed by the Federal Government against Commissioner for Insurance and Chief Executive Officer of the National… ...
- NDLEA nabs man with cocaine hidden in shoes The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, yesterday said that it discovered 2.460kg of cocaine inside female shoes and voltage regulators at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, MMIA, Lagos, last… ...
- Tension, as parishioners lock bishop out again in Imo …Vicar-Gen, Onaiyekan at war Catholics in Ahiara Mbaise in Imo State last weekend restated their opposition to the appointment of Monsignor Peter Okpaleke as the Bishop of Ahiara Catholic Diocese.… ...
- How to get legal backing for confab -Nwabueze Renowned constitutional lawyer, Prof. Ben Nwabueze, has called for the repeal of Section 9 of the 1999 Constitution in order to give the ongoing National Conference. He said the abrogation… ...
- Anambra gets new tenders board As part of the moves to enhance accountability, Governor Willie Obiano has constituted a new Tenders Board for Anambra State. The board, which was inaugurated during the weekly State Executive… ...
- South-East PDP slams Nyako over attacks on Jonathan The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, South- East zone yesterday cautioned the Adamawa State Governor, Alhaji Murtala Nyako, over what it called ‘unnecessary attacks’ on President Goodluck Jonathan. The party criticised… ...
- Ijaw group, NUJ mourn National Mirror reporter The Ijaw Peoples Development Initiatives, IPDI, has described the death of National Mirror correspondent in Bayelsa State, Mr. Emma Gbemudu, as a great loss and shocking. The group said he… ...
- Abduction: ANCOPSS, parents to parley on students’ safety Following the spate of abduction of students from school premises by insurgents in the northern part of the country, the All Nigeria Confederation of Principals of Secondary Schools, ANCOPSS, Kogi… ...
- Tsav tasks Jonathan on Nyako’s security memo Former Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Alhaji Abubakar Tsav has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to address some pertinent issues raised by Governor Murtala Nyako of Adamawa state rather than being… ...
PDP using Boko Haram to secure chances in 2015 polls –APC
The All Progressives Congress (APC) yesterday accused the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)–led Federal Government of deliberately handling the insurgency in the northern part of the country with a view to enhancing its profile in the 2015 elections. ...Fayemi’s wife promises rural communities govt’s presence
Wife of Ekiti State Governor, Erelu Bisi Fayemi, has said that the development of the state’s rural areas was in progress, assuring the people of more dividends of democracy. ...Jonathan’s ex-campaign co-ordinator joins APC
Ahead of the 2015 general elections, the campaign coordinator for Goodluck Jonathan in the 2011 presidential race in Zamfara State, Alhaji Lawali Amaka, and former minister of state for information, Ikira Bilbis, have dumped the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state. ...Osun 2014: Aregbesola, Omisore trade words over Osun REC
O sun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola and the governorship candidateof the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the state, Senator Iyiola Omisore have disagreed on the continued stay of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC) in the state, Dr Toyin Akeju. ...Ondo by-election: Arogbo people urge INEC to pick date for supplementary poll
The Minority Leader of the Ondo State House of Assembly, Akpoebi Lubi, has said the people of Arogbo community would resist any attempt by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the ruling Labour Party (LP) in the state to stop the Ilaje Ese-Odo supplementary election. ...Boko Haram: Cleric cautions politicians on inciting statements
Supreme Head of the Cherubim and Seraphim Movement Church (CSMC) Worldwide (Ayo Ni O), Most Reverend Samuel Abidoye has cautioned politicians to refrain from making inflammatory statements over what he described as the worsening insecurity. ...Okorocha denies APC ex-chairman’s claim of funding party
Imo State governor, Rochas Okorocha, yesterday debunked the claims of former interim chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Prince Okafor Anyanwu, of being the sole financier of the party. ...MASSOB strikes out ex-Gov Obi’s name from awardees list
The Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) said it has postponed its awards ceremony scheduled for May 30, to mark its Biafra Day because former Anambra State governor, Peter Obi’s name was errornously listed as one of the awardees. ...Why Ekiti people ‘ll re-elect Fayemi for second term
Ekiti State Governor, Dr kayode Fayemi will be re-elected for a second term in the June 21 governorship election in the state based on his record of achievements and transformative leadership style that has impacted positively on the people of the state. ...2015: It’ll not be business as usual in Ondo –Akinlude
A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Omobuyi Akinlude, has praised the new spirit of the party in Ondo State. ...ASUU stages protest over election of new deputy VC in LASU
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) Lagos State University (LASU) branch on Tuesday staged a protest around the main campus in Ojo over what the union described as an attempt by the Vice Chancellor, Prof John Obafunwa to by pass due process in the election of a new Deputy Vice Chancellor (DVC). ...Osun govt tasks FG on rescue of abducted schoolgirls
Governor of Osun State, Rauf Aregbesola has called on the Federal Government to give priority attention to the rescue of 190 Government Girls Secondary School students in Borno State that were abducted last week by Boko Haram insurgents. ...2 party leaders shot dead in Borno
Two leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Borno State were on Monday shot dead by gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents. ...Randy DPO still in Police custody
The Divisional Police Officer (DPO) who allegedly raped a female suspect, is presently being detained… ...Lagos strives to retain toll collection on Lekki-Ikoyi bridge
Apparently determined to maintain its resolve on toll collection on Lekki- Ikoyi bridge, the Lagos… ...Flights resume in Kaduna Airport
Normal flight operations have resumed at Kaduna International Airport following a makeshift arrangement by aviation authorities, sequel to a fire incident that occurred in the area on Sunday. ...Why FG privatised enterprises –Senator
Chairman, Senate Committee on Privatisation, Senator Olugbenga Obadara has said that lack of maintenance culture in public enterprises was one of the reasons for privatisation of such enterprises. ...Commercial farmer slams N700m suit on police, Lagos government
Four months after his commercial farm in Badagry, Lagos was allegedly demolished by policemen, Mr. Adewanle Adewuyi, an entrepreneur and Chairman/Managing Director of Adewanle Adewuyi Agricultural Farm, has sued the Nigeria Police and the Lagos State Government for N700 million. ...Akpabio didn’t scuttle inauguration of Ntippe Ibibio –Commissioner
Akwa Ibom State Government has denied the allegation that it scuttled the inauguration of an association called Ntippe Ibibio headed by the Senator representing Ikot Ekpene Senatorial district, Aloysius Etok. ...Nine robbery suspects nabbed in Benue
The Benue State Police Command said yesterday that it apprehended nine suspected armed robbers along Okpoga Road in Okpokwu Local Government Area of the state. ...Don’t transfer N285bn pension fund to police authority, FG urged
Officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) may face a bleak future after retirement if plans by the Federal Government to move the N285 billion pension savings from Pension Fund Administrators (PFAs) to the police authority materialise. ...FG secures $250m World Bank credit to boost water supply
World Bank yesterday approved a credit of $250 million for the Federal Government to increase water supply and improve the existing water supply services. ...Don’t distort aviation sector master plan –Ex Minister
Any attempt to distort the aviation sector master plan would slow down the current pace of development of the industry in a manner that may be detrimental to the economy, says former aviation minister, Ms. Stella Oduah. ...Ministry destroys 95.86mt of fish worth N37m
The Federal Department of Fisheries (FDF), under Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development yesterday destroyed about 95.86 metric tonnes of unwholesome fish worth N37 million. ...Nigeria’s cement’s 300% more expensive
Stakeholders in the cement industry have called on the Federal Government to take steps to crash cement price said to be about 300 per cent above what obtains in countries like Egypt, China, Taiwan, India, Japan, Norway, Turkey, Indonesia, Pakistan, Iran and Iraq. ...Seme Customs generates N2.1bn in Q1
The Seme Area Command of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) said it generated a total of N2,133,776,367.31 (two billion, one hundred and thirty-three million, seven hundred and seventy-six thousand, three hundred and sixty-seven naira, thirty-one kobo) as revenue for the first quarter of 2014. ...Why Nigerian ports were concessioned, by Senate
Senate Committee on Commercialisation and Privatisation has said that the Federal Government concessioned Nigerian ports to ensure efficient service delivery and bring about massive infrastructural development at the ports. ...Holdco structure: Defaulting banks to lose license
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has released exposure draft on guidelines for licensing and regulating holding companies four years after it repealed the universal banking guidelines and introduced a new banking model that allows banks to adopt a holding company or sell off non- banking subsidiaries. ...More troubles for ATM users as Microsoft Window 8 deadline expires
Tensions continues to mount over the high level risk exposure of banks in the country following the end of support for the vulnerable Microsoft Windows XP operating system which ended April 8. ...What constitutes ‘trade’ for tax purposes
This article clarifies the FIRS’ position on what constitutes ‘trade’ or business for tax purposes.… ...Behold the singing men of style!
These guys have everything it takes to swoon a woman off her feet on the… ...Duke, Imoke unveil Carnival Calabar queen
Nancy Olive -Aisaghonhi, the Calabar Carnival Queen 2013/2014, was on Sunday April 13 officially unveiled… ...Anna Banner, MBGN queen, debuts on Superstory
Movie buffs are in for a swell time as MBGN 2013 winner, Anna Banner, will… ...Our goal is to redefine journalism in Ghana –Asiedu, chairman, The Sun
As The Sun is set to berth in Ghana, the Chairman of The Sun Publishing Ltd., Ghana, Mr. Alex Asiedu, has said the newspaper is going to redefine ...FACE Africa to showcase Nigerian culture, tourism in US –As Bez, General Pype, Gbedu Master perform
African arts and culture will be on parade in far away United States as the… ...Yaw, Koffi for Coterie’s Humour Unlimited
Comedians Yaw and Koffi, will be on parade when April City Entertainment host its comedy… ...50 years on stage: Uduaghan to celebrate Eddie Ugboma
Happy times are here for veteran movie producer, Eddie Ugboma. Delta State governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan,… ...Nigerian idol:Female contestant to Dede: I want to take you home
Last week it was the turn of late Fela’s foremost acolyte, Dede Mabiaku, to be… ...What I’ll do to Ramsey Nuoah behind closed door–Blessing Patrick
Model, fashion designer and budding actress, Blessing Patrick, is fast making a place for herself… ...Pete Edochie: Taking up new role for Rev. Tansi
Veteran journalist, broadcaster and actor, Chief Pete Uwadiegwu Edochie, needs no introduction because most Nollywood films have him play lead roles. ...
- Police Ask Nyako to Release Ribadu Square for President’s Visit [23 Apr 2014]
- Aiteo, Taleveras, Barbedos, Others Win $40bn Oil Lifting Contracts [23 Apr 2014]
- Unilever Renews Investment Drive with $150m Plant in Nigeria [23 Apr 2014]
- Teacher Rapes, Impregnates 12-year-old Pupil in Plateau [23 Apr 2014]
- Finally, National Assembly Transmits 2014 Budget to the Executive [23 Apr 2014]
- Boko Haram Threat: Nyanya Gridlock Worsens, Residents Resorts to Motorcycles [23 Apr 2014]
- Malaria Still a Silent Killer in Nigeria, 627,000 Deaths Recorded Annually [23 Apr 2014]
- Suswam Cuts Own Salary, Others by 25% to Pay Teachers [23 Apr 2014]
- Abduction of Students: Muslim Women Stage Protest in Ilorin [23 Apr 2014]
- Presidency Moves to Probe Nyako [22 Apr 2014]
- Military Seeks Retention of Emergency Rule in Adamawa, Borno, Yobe States [22 Apr 2014]
- T. B. Joshua: Healer or Controversial Leader? [21 Apr 2014]
- Nyako Asks Jonathan to Explain Source of Funds Given to Kwankwanso for Delegates [21 Apr 2014]
- Re-Introducing Northern Nigeria: Not as You Know It [22 Apr 2014]
- Eterna Oil overcomes subsidy gloom as revenue grows - Eterna Oil plc, a downstream oil and gas company, has overcome the subsidy gloom that has been bedevilling its operations as 2013FY revenues grow. For the year ended December 2013, the company grew revenue by 8.80 percent to N98.29 billion from N89.63 billion in 2012. The turnover growth surpassed expectation as the company was able
- PublicVine, Nigerian-owned video platform, secures $5m investment - PublicVine, a US-based social video platform founded by a Nigerian, Nam Mokwunye, has secured investment worth over $5 million in a bid to commence its global launch billed for June 2014. PublicVine is designed to rival existing video platforms like YouTube but offers video content owners and distributor’s opportunity to be paid by viewers. Nam
- AVEVA provides integrated engineering, design solutions to Total E&P Nigeria - United Kingdom-based engineering and construction firm AVEVA says Total E&P Nigeria Ltd (TEPNG) has adopted its engineering and design solutions as part of an integrated engineering and design approach. TEPNG is the operator of a joint venture with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). The company has invested in acquired licences for AVEVA PDMS, AVEVA
- Holcim-Lafarge leftover assets seen enticing bidders - Once Holcim Limited and Lafarge SA start shedding assets across the world to complete their $40 billion merger, cement producers from Europe to the US are likely to start lining up with offers. The assets up for grabs represent about $1 billion of profits that Holcim and Lafarge, the cement industry’s two biggest companies, may
- Huge operating expense hits UBA 1Q14 profits - Background United Bank for Africa plc (UBA) was incorporated on February 23, 1961, and was the first of the international banks operating in Nigeria at the time to be registered under Nigerian Law. UBA provides corporate, commercial, consumer and investment banking, and investment management services. Through a joint venture, UBA offers life insurance. The bank
- Berger Paints tackles competition, expands customer service centre - Berger Paints Nigeria plc has opened a new Colour World Centre in Lekki, Lagos, in a bid to save its customers the stress of coming to the mainland to meet their products requirements. Addressing stakeholders in the construction industry and the media at the inauguration recently, Tor Nygard, managing director of the company, said the
- Agric minister to give keynote address in agric expo - Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development Akinwunmi Adesina has confirmed his participation at the 2014 edition of Agriexpo, now slated for June 2, where he would be delivering the keynote address. Agrikexpo, in its third edition, is the largest agricultural exhibition in West Africa because it now brings together many foreign and local participants. Adesina
- Vetiva Fund Managers launches DV balanced fund - Vetiva Fund Managers Limited has launched the DV Balanced Fund via an initial public offering (IPO) of 20,000,000 units at N100 each. The application list opened on April 14, 2014, and will close on May 26, 2014. The DV Balanced Fund is an open-ended Unit Trust Scheme that seeks to invest in a range of
- NPA transfers 2279 overtime containers to Ikorodu - The Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) says it has transferred 2279 Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit (TEU) overtime containers from the Lagos Port Complex, Apapa, to the Ikorodu Lighter Terminal. Musa Illiya, an Assistant General Manager, Public Affairs, of the NPA, who disclosed this on Tuesday in Lagos, said that the containers were moved to Ikorodu between February
- Investors scramble for Emerging Nigerian oil firm Seplat - Investors are betting on the emergence of a Nigerian made global brand or African champion in the oil and gas space with the scramble for shares of Seplat Petroleum Development Company, which raised $500 m in an initial public offer (IPO), last week. The deal valued the Nigerian oil and gas group at $1.9bn and
- Deadlock: NFF holds back Keshi’s list Ahead of the nation’s pre-parations for the World Cup in Brazil, a meeting between the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, Technical Committee and Coach of the Super Eagles, Stephen Keshi ended in a deadlock yesterday. [April 23, 2014]
- NFA wants Task Force to oversee Super Eagles World Cup campaign Aminu Maigari, Chairman of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA), on Tuesday said the association was not averse to a Presidential Task Force (PTF) overseeing Nigeria’s 2014 FIFA World Cup campaign. [April 23, 2014]
- Nigeria to send Amuneke, Manu to Croatia tourneys Nigeria’s U-20 head coach, Garba Manu, and his U-17 counterpart, Emmanuel Amuneke, are to attend two football tournaments taking place in Croatia between May 26 and June 8, 2014. [April 23, 2014]
- U-17 WAFU Tourney: Amuneke tells Eaglets to be wary of Mali’s fightback The Golden Eaglets’ Head Coach, Emmanuel Amuneke, on Tuesday warned his players to be wary of Mali at the ongoing U-17 West African Football Union (WAFU) tournament in Togo. [April 23, 2014]
- Shell Partners Dutch Club, Feyenoord Rotterdam to improve NNPC/Shell Cup The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd (SPDC) operated Joint Venture has entered a strategic partnership with the Youth Academy of Feyenoord Rotterdam Football Club, one of the biggest football clubs in the Netherlands to help improve the football talents of the 16-year old NNPC/Shell Cup. [April 23, 2014]
- Man Utd shares jump 6% after manager Moyes’ sack Shares of Manchester United jumped six percent Tuesday after the struggling Premier League giant sacked manager David Moyes just 10 months into the job. [April 22, 2014]
- Keshi gives Super Eagles players May 27 deadline for Scotland friendly Stephen Keshi, the Super Eagles’ Head Coach, on Tuesday said players invited for the friendly against Scotland were expected to arrive the team’s camp latest on May 27. [April 22, 2014]
- Chelsea hold out for Atletico stalemate in Madrid Atletico Madrid and Chelsea will have it all to play for when they meet in the second leg of their Champions League semi-final in London next Wednesday after a 0-0 draw in the first leg at the Vicente Calderon on Tuesday. [April 22, 2014]
- AFN fixes June 13 for 2014 Warri Grand Prix meet The Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) on Tuesday said that its 2014 Warri Grand Prix meet in conjunction with the Delta State Government would hold on June 13. [April 22, 2014]
- Athletico Madrid vs Chelsea: The best defences in Spain, England set for goals The best defences in Spain and England meet on Tuesday as Club Atlético de Madrid host a Chelsea FC side Diego Simeone believes are cut from the same cloth. [April 22, 2014]
- Nigeria striker Uche waits on World Cup fate Villarreal striker Ikechukwu Uche will learn on Tuesday whether he will be left off Nigeria’s World Cup squad. [April 22, 2014]
- Five English Premier League coaching disasters David Moyes’ 10 month stay at Manchester United is one of many managerial fiascos in the English Premier League. Here are five English football coaching disasters: [April 22, 2014]
- Giggs named interim Man Utd manager Veteran midfielder Ryan Giggs was on Tuesday appointed interim manager of Manchester United, shortly after the club announced the sacking of David Moyes. [April 22, 2014]
- Coach seeks workshop, serminars for coaches, referees The Head Coach of the Nigeria Judo Federation, Obed Ogunedo, on Monday urged the federation’s board to be organising workshop and seminars for coaches and referees regularly. [April 22, 2014]
- Man Utd sack manager David Moyes Manager David Moyes has been sacked by Manchester United, the club announced on their Twitter account on Tuesday. [April 22, 2014]
- 35-man Provisional List: The Nation waits on Keshi The technical committee of the Nigeria Football Federation will today meet with Super Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi over the provisional list of the Nigerian squad for the Brazil 2014 World Cup. [April 22, 2014]
- OKPEKPE ROAD RACE: 3 Govs ready to challenge Oshiomhole The Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole may be in for a serious competition in the 2nd edition of the 10 kilometres Okpekpe Road Race. [April 22, 2014]
- Tragedy hits Kaduna as Lato passes on Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) side, Kaduna United were on Sunday evening thrown into mourning as they have lost their chief coach, Saleh Lato.It was gathered that the experienced gaffer died at the Ibrahim Sanni Abacha hospital, Kaduna, after just a day of illness. [April 22, 2014]
- Under weather Mourinho puts faith in Torress Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho said Fernando Torres will be able to deal with the emotion of returning to face his boyhood club Atletico Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League semi-final on Tuesday. [April 21, 2014]
- 2014 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup: NFA expects Falconets to reach semi-finals The Nigeria Football Association (NFA) expects a semi-finals appearance from the under-20 women team, the Falconets, at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Canada this August. [April 21, 2014]
- Man United evasive on Moyes sack reports Manchester United said on Monday that David Moyes had not been sacked as manager, but refused to comment on widespread British media reports that he was about to be fired. [April 21, 2014]
- Burnley promoted to the Premier League Burnley ended their four-year wait to return to the Premier League in emphatic fashion as their 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic clinched promotion on Monday. [April 21, 2014]
- Bookies suspend Moyes sack bets Leading British bookmakers stopped taking bets on David Moyes being sacked as Manchester United manager Monday after several national newspapers said Moyes was about to be fired. [April 21, 2014]
- For age falsification CAF disqualifies Gambia from U-20 AYC he Confederation of African Football (CAF) on Monday announced Gambia’s disqualification from the U-20 African Youth Championship (AYC) qualifiers for the 19th edition of the competition. [April 21, 2014]
- Odemwingie’s penalty causes controversy Odemwingie found himself at the centre of controversy after winning a penalty against former club Cardiff City in a 1-1 draw. The Nigerian forward went down after a challenge from behind by Kim Bo-kyung in first-half stoppage time, with Marko Arnautovic scoring from the spot, but Peter Whittingham equalised with a penalty of his own in the second half. Cardiff manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said his players had been “incensed” by the penalty won by Odemwingie. [April 21, 2014]
- Amodu Shuaibu tasks Nigerian coaches on coaching requirements Amodu Shuaibu, Technical Director of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA), has urged Nigerian Coaches to obtain the CAF and FIFA basic requirement for coaching before it was too late. [April 21, 2014]
- Africa Squash tourney: We’ re still shopping for more sponsors – NSF The Nigeria Squash Federation (NSF) on Sunday said the body was still shopping for more sponsors for the forthcoming Africa Squash Championships. [April 21, 2014]
- 2014 Lagos State Sports Festival Torch tour begins The Local Organising Committee (LOC) of the 2014 Lagos State Sports Festival, tagged `Ibile Games’ on Sunday presented the Games’ `Torch of Unity’ to `Conference 57′, to mark the commencement of the Games. [April 21, 2014]
- Nigeria, others for ITTF-ATTF Africa Hopes Week Challenge in Kenya Nigeria and some other African countries had been undergoing intensive training /competition at the 2014 International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF)-Africa Table Tennis Federation (ATTF) U-12 Africa. [April 21, 2014]
- We are more dangerous with Ramsey ,Ozil – Wenger Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger hopes the returns of key midfielders Mesut Ozil and Aaron Ramsey will help his side secure their place in the Premier League’s top four. [April 21, 2014]
- Liverpool ready for Chelsea clash – Rodgers Brendan Rodgers is confident his Liverpool players possess the necessary ingredients to get the better of title rivals Chelsea when the two teams meet at Anfield this weekend. [April 21, 2014]
- Osaze Odemwengie donates N1m to Bendel Insurance FC Nigeria international and former Bendel insurance FC player, Osaze Odemwengie, on Sunday donated N1million cash to the club. [April 21, 2014]