- This RSS feed URL is deprecated This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
- Five interesting things you probably didn't know about Nigeria - TimesLIVE
- Protecting Nigeria's Elections From Its Political Class - Council on Foreign Relations (blog)
- Nigerian Millennials Fuel Domestic Tourism - Voice of America
Voice of America
Nigerian Millennials Fuel Domestic TourismVoice of AmericaDeola Akeju stood under the gushing waterfalls of Ikogosi in western Nigeria, laughing with her friends and other travelers as they explored the forest's pools and streams. She is one of a growing number of Nigerian holiday-makers keen to explore their ...
- Corruption in Nigeria exaggerated- ex-Tanzanian president - The Punch
- There's hunger in Nigeria, comedian I Go Dye tells Buhari in open letter - The Punch
- IBM to spend $25m on youth empowerment in Nigeria, others - The Punch
- Trapped between cultures: Nigerian parents in the US, UK, devise ways to save kids - The Punch
- A mysterious Shia group has Nigeria worried - The Economist
A mysterious Shia group has Nigeria worriedThe EconomistThey form a small minority of Nigeria's roughly 180m population, split between Muslims (mostly Sunnis), who dominate the north, and Christians, who dominate in the south. Mr Zakzaky has amassed followers in the impoverished north by railing against the ...
- The Nigerian Serial Entrepreneur Who Built A $14 Million Mobile VAS Content Business - Forbes
- Restructuring won't solve Nigeria's problems – Presidential candidate - Premium Times
- Nine Months After Abduction Saga, Dapchi School Reopens [Premium Times] Academic activities have resumed at the Government Girls' Science and Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe, where Boko Haram insurgents abducted 110 schoolgirls on February 19.
- It Rains, It Pours, It Floods - Nigeria's Growing Seasonal Problem [African Arguments] Over the last few years in Nigeria, seasonal flooding has killed hundreds, destroyed hundreds of thousands of homes, and displaced millions of people.
- I Have a Competent Health Minister, Buhari Boasts [Vanguard] Following his contributions to the health sector, the minister of health, Prof. Isaac Folorunso Adewole, Thursday received commendations from President Muhammadu Buhari, who said that Adewole was very competent in the performance of his official duties.
- Why General Electric Pulled Out of Nigeria's Railway Concession Arrangement [Premium Times] General Electric on Thursday said it has handed over the leadership of a consortium chosen to run Nigeria's rail concession to South Africa's Transnet.
- Govt, Academic Union Meeting Deadlocked [Premium Times] A meeting between the Nigerian government and university lecturers has ended Thursday evening without resolution of the nationwide strike by the teachers.
- Broken Government Promises to Blame for Nigeria University Strike [The Conversation Africa] All 37,504 academic staff of Nigeria's public universities have been on an indefinite strike since early November. This followed a meeting of the union's national executive council which ruled that no substantial progress had been made on a range of past agreements between the Academic Staff Union of Universities, which represents academic staff, and the federal government.
- I'm Ready to Meet You in Court, Saraki Replies Oshiomhole [Premium Times] Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has stated that Nigerians are eagerly awaiting how President Muhammadu Buhari will handle the allegations of bribery levelled against APC chairman, Adams Oshiomhole.
- Appeal Court Reduces Ex-Gov Joshua Dariye's Jail Term [Premium Times] Former Governor of Plateau State, Sen. Joshua Dariye, during his arraignment at the FCT High Court Gudu,in Abuja on Tuesday (12/6/18). The Court sentence him to 14 year imprisonment for fraud and misappropriation of funds. 03249/12/6/2018/Hogan Bassey/NAN
- Akwa Ibom Assembly Bars Sacked Lawmaker From Attending Sitting [Premium Times] The speaker, Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Onofiok Luke, has received the court judgment sacking a state lawmaker who defected from the People's Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC), the House of Assembly has said.
- Niger Delta States Can Have 100% of Oil Revenues, But... - Atiku [Vanguard] Presidential candidate of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar, has said he was willing to let Nigeria's oil-producing states have absolute control of crude oil revenues from their domains.
- You Lack Moral Ground to Ask Me to Leave, Oshiomhole Tells Saraki [Daily Trust] The National Chairman of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, has said the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, lacks moral ground to call for his resignation after alleged corrupt activities that trailed the party's primaries.
- Nigeria to Become 2nd Largest Rice Importer in 2019 - USDA [Vanguard] The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has projected Nigeria to be the second largest rice importer come 2019.
- Police Take Over Anambra Assembly [Daily Trust] Awka -The crisis in the Anambra State House of Assembly took a turn for the worse yesterday prompting police to take over the complex to avoid breakdown of law and order.
- Diabetes and the Family [Leadership] November 14, every year, is recognised by the international community as World Diabetes Day. In marking the day, campaigners against the deadly but preventable and treatable disease seek to generate, primarily, global awareness with focus on diabetes mellitus as it is believed that more than 400 million people live with it worldwide, and the prevalence is predicted to continue rising if current trends persist. It was the seventh leading cause of death in 2016.
- Champions Nigeria, Others Arrive for AWCON [Ghanaian Times] DEFENDING Champions of the African Women's Cup of Nations, the Super Falcons of Nigeria and the Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon - runners-up at the last edition, as well as Zambia have arrived in the country for the 11th edition of the tournament which starts tomorrow.
- APC UK Party Members Defends Oshiomhole [Vanguard] The United Kingdom chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has called on members of the party across the country to shun bickering and rally support for Mr Adams Oshiomhole, the party's National Chairman, ahead of the 2019 general elections.
- U.S.$15.5 Million Fraud - Absence of Prosecutor Stalls Trial of Firms Linked to Patience Jonathan [Vanguard] Lagos -THE trial of an alleged cover up case of $15.5 million linked to former First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, alongside three others and four companies, before a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, was, yesterday, stalled due to the absence of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission's, EFCC's, prosecutor.
- The Narcissism of Rochas [This Day] Sometime in 2016, the Executive Governor of Imo state, Owelle Rochas Okorocha, hosted senior journalists and editors of Imo state origin at a meeting held at Government House Owerri. During the meeting, which was his first since he became governor, he took time to explain his vision for the state. He also took his guests on a tour of projects in Owerri. A high point of the meeting was a video show. He had all the journalists seated at the executive chambers of the state government and had a documentary of
- Ikechi - Modern Airports, Maintenance Facility More Important Than National Carrier [This Day] Travel expert and organiser of Akwaaba African Travel Market, Ikechi Uko, in this interview emphasises that modern airports with navigational aids will drive more economic activities make airlines more profitable. This to him should be of greater priority than establishing a nation carrier. Chinedu Eze brings the excerpts:
- Nigerian Pensioners Demand N30,000 Minimum Wage [Premium Times] The Nigeria Union of Pensioners, South-west zone, has urged governments at all levels on the need to also consider them in the implementation of the N30, 000 minimum wage.
- UK Restates Commitment to Support Fight Against Boko Haram [Vanguard] The UK government on Friday restated its commitment to support the Nigerian army in the fight against Boko Haram and terrorism in the northeast.
- Buhari Pledges More Employment Opportunities for Citizens [Premium Times] President Muhammadu Buhari says his administration will continue to implement policies that will attract investment and spark competition in critical sectors of the economy for employment creation and economic growth.
- Nigeria Calls On Israel, Palestine to End Hostilities [Premium Times] Nigeria has called on Israel and Palestine to end all forms hostilities between them and work towards peace in the region.
- Chinua Achebe At 88 - Ten Inspiring Quotes [Guardian] Professor Chinualumogu Achebe was born on this day in 1930. The world-renowned novelist won a scholarship to study medicine at the University College (University of Ibadan) but changed to English literature.
- Putting Smiles On the Faces of Amputees [This Day] About 300 hundred amputees last week in Benin City, Edo State, received free custom-made prosthetic limbs. Adibe Emenyonu who was at the event tells how the gesture was made possible by the office of the wife of Edo State Governor in conjunction with ISHK Limb Centre, and St. Theresa's Catholic Church.
- Reps Panel Uncovers Another Set of Hidden Rice in Lagos [Vanguard] Abuja -House of Representatives committee probing the fraud in National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, has discovered another set of rice hidden in a warehouse in Lagos.
- Atiku/Obi Ticket - IPOB, Ohanaeze Youths, APC Disagree With Igbo Leaders [Vanguard] The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, yesterday disagreed with some Igbo leaders over their alleged endorsement of Alhaji Atiku Abubakar's presidential bid without a concrete, written and sealed agreement of what he will do for Ndigbo.
- Experts Identify Strengths, Pitfalls for N30,000 Minimum Wage [Daily Trust] The proposed N30,000 minimum wage being considered by the Federal Government may have its obvious highs and lows in shaping the immediate economic.
- Flights to Be Disrupted As Harmattan Sets in - NiMet [Daily Trust] The Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) said there could be high cases of flight disruptions through cancellation and delay of flights at some airports across the country as the harmattan season sets in.
- AfDB's Portal Boosts Information Flow On Continent's Energy Demand [Leadership] Lagos -The Africa Energy Portal (AEP), recently unveiled by the African Development Bank (AfDB), is expected to address a lack of information in the sector, by providing a one-stop-shop for accurate, reliable, relevant, and up-to-date information on energy in Africa.
- Dakar 18 Review Developed by Bigmoon Entertainment and published by Deep Silver for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Microsoft Windows, Dakar 18 is a racing game based on the biggest real-world, cross-country rally that takes place every year. In Dakar 18, players race across distances of up to 6,500 miles through Peru, Bolivia and Argentina on motorcycles, off-road [&hellip...
- Interview: Sandras Phiri gives insights on developing startups Africa is becoming a huge platform for entrepreneurship and start-ups in any industry. As the market for startups builds momentum, it is vital that there is mentorship and leadership in place to guide entrepreneurs and their small businesses. A leader who has...
- Microsoft resumes Windows update after month-long delay After a month-long delay to fix a series of ‘data-destroying’ bugs, Microsoft has resumed the rollout of its Windows 10 2018 update – the next big feature update to Windows 10 PCs, but it hasn’t been released yet according to a new Windows blog post....
- Huawei launches AI integrated cloud in South Africa At the recent AfricaCom 2018, cloud-computing services of Huawei, announced the launch of the first AI-integrated public cloud offering for Africa. Huawei Cloud South Africa region will start providing cloud services at the end of this year, allowing...
- tt100 business awards 2018 puts the spotlight on emerging business innovators The Da Vinci Institute’s 2018 tt100 Business Innovation Awards took place on Wednesday, 14 November at the Johannesburg Country Club. Under the theme, “Celebrating Leadership”, this year, 64 percent of the semi-finalists were emerging...
- Liquid Telecom partners Kymeta to deliver mobile satellite to remote locations in Africa Pan-African telecoms group Liquid Telecom has partnered with Kymeta in abid to extend its VSAT service. Kymeta’s lightweight, high throughput satellite communication systems will be integrated with Liquid Telecom’s satellite connectivity. This...
- Angola Cables, Broadband Infraco set on improving internet connectivity in Africa Multinational telecoms company, Angola Cables has announced that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Broadband Infraco. Broadband Infraco provides extensive regional long-distance network coverage and SADC connectivity. From a South African...
- Microsoft launches program to help tech startups This Global Entrepreneurship Week, Microsoft announced that it is launching Head Start, a startup accelerator aimed at helping South African startups get off the ground and grow their business. The main goal of the program is helping startups get what they...
- Fintech to solve financial exclusion in Egypt Egypt boasts one of the fastest-growing business markets in Africa. With that said,fintech is set to play a key role in providing basic financial services to the large pool of unbanked people. According to the latest report from Africa’s leading corporate...
- Nokia and rain to deploy 5G in South Africa Nokia has deployed its 5G site for the South African operator rain in time for the operator to launch 5G services. rain is in a unique position to offer 5G as they already have access to 5G spectrum. The full network deployment is set to start in the first...
- SACS Cable to expand connectivity in Africa via data centres Angola Cables is expanding its network reach and peering capabilities across the globe with an aim to become a major IP transit and MPLS player in sub-Saharan Africa. Boosting the connection is data centre provider, Teraco. Teraco has said that clients...
- Huawei launches open platform to facilitate AI development At the third Huawei Eco-connect Europe conference, Huawei launched HiAI 2.0, an open platform designed to facilitate the development of On-Device artificial intelligence (AI). HiAI is Huawei’s AI engine that aims to power applications on the new P20...
- The Spyro Reignited Trilogy is now available worldwide Spyro, the iconic purple dragon that entertained living rooms worldwide in the late ‘90s, is making an epic return with the release of Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Spyro Reignited Trilogy introduces players to a fully remastered game collection with a...
- Is social media stealing the power from telecoms operators? The non-stop growth of social media is threatening the future of African telecoms operators, with companies like Google now building their own networks instead of relying on the existing infrastructure, says Eckart Zollner, head of business development for...
- Vulnerabilities found in DJI Drone platform Check Point Software Technologies researchers outlined the process in which an attacker could have potentially gained access to a user’s account through a vulnerability discovered in the user identification process within DJI Forum, a DJI-sponsored...
- AfricaCom 2018: New mobile device makes internet connectivity affordable At the annual AfricaCom conference in Cape Town, the CEO of MTN Group, CEO of KaiOS Technologies Inc., Executive Vice President of China Mobile Communications Group Co., Ltd., and Executive Vice President of UNISOC announced a partnership to launch the...