- Jonathan, PDP govs, AGF meet over Tambuwal
- Another US school bans Nigerian girl from classes over Ebola
- Why I dumped PDP —Tambuwal
- PDP govs, groups donate N98m for Jonathan’s nomination form
- Soldiers, residents flee as Boko Haram invades Mubi
- Tambuwal outwits PDP, shuts House till Dec 3
- To save Nigeria is difficult —Kwankwaso
- What future for Tambuwal’s House?
- I didn’t campaign for Ladoja —Patience Jonathan
- NLC carpets Buhari, OBJ over religious debate
- Horrific details of Chibok girls’ abuse, by Human Rights Watch
- Okonjo-Iweala raises the alarm over oil price crash
- France, Germany okay negotiation with Boko Haram
- You are lying to us, girls’ parents tell govt
- Nigeria’s future, reason for my presidential bid —Buhari
- OBJ warns Buhari, others on Muslim/Muslim ticket •VP ticket: Buhari to be left with final say
- Nigeria may seek death penalty on child bride Nigerian prosecutors said on Thursday they may seek the death penalty against a 14-year-old girl accused of murdering her 35-year-old husband by putting rat poison in his food. The trial of Wasila Tasi'u, from a poor northern Nigeria family, has sparked a heated debate on the role of underage marriage in the conservative Muslim region, especially whether an adolescent girl can consent to be a ...
- FIFA gives Nigeria last chance to avoid ban ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — FIFA has given Nigeria one last chance to avoid a "lengthy" ban that would prevent the reigning champion from defending its title at next year's African Cup of Nations.
- Nigeria move to avoid long Fifa ban Nigeria hope to have avoided a lengthy ban from Fifa after a regional high court overturns its decision to void last month's football elections.
- Nigeria given Friday deadline by FIFA Nigeria will be banned from all football unless a court decision that sacked the country’s recently elected FA executives is not overturned by Friday, world governing body FIFA announced on Tuesday. A leadership crisis has bedeviled the African champions for the past four months despite several interventions by FIFA, who have now warned it will slap a lengthy ban on it. Last week, a group led by ...
- Nigeria: German killed, pirates hijack gunboat WARRI, Nigeria (AP) — Gunmen killed a German man and kidnapped a second in southwest Nigeria, police said Tuesday as the military reported that pirates in the oil-rich south hijacked a police gunboat and killed three officers.
- Nigeria Leads Global Efforts To Contain the Ebola Outbreak ABUJA, Nigeria, Oct. 30, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Nigeria, through the Nigerian Centre for Disease Control and with approval from President Jonathan, will send nearly 600 volunteers to support Ebola-stricken countries in West Africa. The medical aides will join 1,000 health workers from across the African continent -- filling a critical shortage of medical workers who are willing to treat Ebola ...
- Third opposition candidate declares bid for Nigeria presidency The governor of north Nigeria's most populous state on Tuesday announced his bid to run for president on the main opposition ticket, as the speaker of the country's lower house of parliament defected to the same party. Kano State governor Rabiu Kwankwaso's declaration, made at a rally in the capital Abuja, sets up a three-way battle for the presidential nomination within the All Progressives ...
- Boko Haram attacks commercial hub in Nigeria's Adamawa state Boko Haram fighters on Wednesday clashed with Nigerian troops in the country's remote northeast, forcing thousands to flee, after two other attacks that further undermined claims of a ceasefire. Residents said insurgents first overran the town of Uba in Borno state before moving to try to take Mubi, a commercial hub in neighbouring Adamawa, using firepower including rocket-propelled grenades ...
- Nigeria set to avoid FIFA suspension after court case is dropped Nigeria look like avoiding a FIFA suspension after a court case involving a battle for the leadership of the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) was withdrawn from the High Court on Thursday. Dropping the case paves the way for FIFA-backed NFF president Amaju Pinnick and his executive to resume their duties after they had been ousted from office by an interim ruling last Thursday by Justice ...
- Nigeria: Pirates hijack gunboat, kidnap workers Pirates in Nigeria's oil-rich Niger Delta hijacked a police gunboat, killed three officers and kidnapped six local oil workers, the military said Tuesday. Joint Task force spokesman Col. Mustapha Anka ...
- Is Isis Allied to African Groups? [African Arguments]In August 2014, Africa's spy chiefs met in Nairobi as part of the African Union's Committee of Intelligence and Security Services of Africa (CISSA). They expressed deep concern about the growing threat of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and the likelihood that the radical outfit might influence the continent's own jihadi groups. Areas of concern for the chiefs included an "alliance being built by terror groups worldwide, sophisticated sources of funding, and [Africa's] porous borders."
- Overcoming Obstacles to Eradicate Polio - Philanthro-Capitalist Sir Emeka Offor Leads the Way [Sir Emeka Offor Foundation]Africans in their unique cultural tradition are endowed with rich social capital. Therefore, the welfare of each child in any community is inherently the responsibility of all, which gives credence to the proverb "it takes a village to raise a child".
- Incumbency and Opportunity - Forecasting Nigeria's 2015 Elections [African Arguments]Headline Findings
- Residents Flee As Boko Haram, Troops Clash [Vanguard]Boko Haram fighters on Wednesday clashed with Nigerian troops in the country's remote northeast, forcing thousands to flee, after two other attacks that further undermined claims of a ceasefire.
- Saraki Calls for Measures to Offset Oil Price Decline [Office of Senator Bukola Saraki]Abuja -Ahead of the 2015 fiscal year, a call has been made to the Federal Government to take preventive measure towards reviving Nigeria's troubled economy by making a balance in the International price of oil at the foreign market.
- Nigerian Kidnappers 'Free German National' [Deutsche Welle]Nigerian gunmen have freed a German citizen whom they kidnapped almost a week ago, according to the construction company the man works for. Another German employee was killed in last week's raid.
- Nigeria Poised to Benefit From Superfast Optic Network [CAJ News]Lagos -Alcatel-Lucent, the French global telecommunications equipment company, has partnered with MTN Nigeria to launch a superfast fiber-optic network.
- Lives Lost As Terrorist Take Over in Adamawa [CAJ News]Abuja -AN undisclosed number of people have been killed after suspected Boko Haram members overran several communities in Adamawa State.
- Jonathan, Emir Sanusi Reconcile [Premium Times]After nearly a year of bitter relations, President Goodluck Jonathan and the Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, met Thursday in Abuja and reconciled differences that once drove both men to the extremes of their offices.
- Keshi Set to Return As Super Eagles Coach [Premium Times]There are fresh indications that Coach Stephen Keshi may soon return as the Super Eagles' coach.
- Synagogue Mishap - Coroner Gets Lodgers' List [Guardian]THE Coroner investigating the collapse of a guest house belonging to the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN), Mr Oyetade Komolafe, said on Wednesday that the list of lodgers had been submitted to the court.
- IBM Deploys Mobile, Data Analytics, Cloud Technologies Against Ebola [Guardian]As the human toll of the Ebola epidemic continues to climb up in critically affected West African nations, IBM has launched several initiatives to help curb the spread of the viral disease in the sub-region.
- State Withdraws Tambuwal's Security Details [Daily Trust]Reports reaching Daily Trust indicate that all the security details attached to Speaker of the House of Representatives Aminu Waziri Tambuwal have been withdrawn by the Federal Government.
- Coroner Court Gets Names of Lodgers At Synagogue's Collapsed Building [Guardian]THE comprehensive list of those that lodged at the collapsed building within the premises of the Synagogue Church of All Nations (SCOAN) was yesterday released to the coroner court conducting an investigation into the cause of the death of 116 people.
- Nigerians Getting Their Read On [RNW Africa]Despite the great promise in new forms of media and the proliferation of new avenues of self-expression, many people overlook the fact that a great number of young Africans remain illiterate.
- The Communication Cluster - Too Late for Credibility? [Daily Maverick]In a modern democracy, communication matters. If you are running a government, you need to be able to communicate effectively and quickly with citizens. Sometimes you need to explain what is being done to help those who've lost relatives in Nigeria. Sometimes it's a request to switch off your geysers in the evening, and sometimes it's to warn of impending natural disasters. For all of this, credibility is of the essence.
- UN Seeks Greater Collaboration With Faith-Based Organizations [Guardian]THE United Nations is presenting exploring ways to increase better collaboration with the inter faith organization as a means to reducing challenges in the area of security and health.
- Escaped Chibok Girls Complain of Negligence, Abandonment [Vanguard]Maiduguri -The escaped Chibok schoolgirls who were said to have been sponsored to study in different post primary schools across the nation have complained of neglect and abandonment by the state government who kept them at one of the Government lodges in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital. Sources said.
- 16000 New Cases of Stroke Reported in Nigeria Annually [Vanguard]Mrs Gloria Ekeng, Founder, Stroke Care International, on Wednesday said that Nigeria had over 16000 new stroke cases annually.
- Jonathan Picks PDP Nomination Form Tomorrow [Vanguard]President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan will tomorrow, Thursday, October 30 pick up the PDP nomination form for the 2015 Presidential elections.
- Residents Flee Mubi As Insurgents Take Over [Vanguard]Yola-- Defying the purported ceasefire agreement between the Federal Government and Boko Haram Islamic sect, the terrorists, yesterday, overran Mubi, the commercial nerve centre and second biggest town in Adamawa State as well as other neighbouring towns and villages, killing many residents who were unable to escape.
- Nda-Isaiah Pays for APC Presidential Forms [Leadership]A presidential aspirant on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and founder of LEADERSHIP Group, Sam Nda-Isaiah, has paid the N27.5million fee to purchase the presidential nomination forms.
- APC to Use Indirect Primaries to Pick Candidates [Leadership]The All Progressives Congress (APC) yesterday amended its constitution which now allows the party to use indirect primaries to elect any of its candidates as the need arises.
- Nigeria Unprepared for Falling Oil Prices - Experts [Leadership]A cross section of financial and economic experts have said that Nigeria is unprepared to contain the impact of falling oil prices.
- Adamawa Guber Aspirants Reject Ngilari, Insist On Zoning [Leadership]Fourteen Adamawa State governorship aspirants under the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) platform yesterday demanded for the exclusion of Adamawa State governor Bala James Ngilari from participating in the upcoming governorship primaries in line with an earlier agreement which zoned the post to the central zone.
- 'Fulani Herdsmen, Others Donate N98.1 Million for Jonathan's Form' [Leadership]President Goodluck Jonathan will today pick the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) nomination form for the 2015 presidential election.
- Boko Haram Captures Mubi, Goes on Killing Spree [Leadership]Yola -Dozens of residents of Mubi are feared killed as Boko Haram launched attack on the town which is the second largest and one of the commercial nerve centres of Adamawa State.
- Unify Nigerian Football, Kalu Urges Amaju [Guardian]AS controversy continues to envelop the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), former Governor of Abia State and Pillar of Sports, Dr. Orji Kalu, has made a passionate call for calm.
- Samsung Claims Sale of 50 Million Galaxy Note, Unveils New Device in Nigeria [Guardian]THE Mobile arm of Samsung Electronics West Africa (SEWA) has claimed sales of 50 million Galaxy Note devices in Nigeria and other part of the globe in the last two years.
- Super Eagles Battle Black Stars, As Jonathan Opens Uyo Stadium November 7 [Guardian]IT is now official. African champions, Super Eagles, will clash with their eternal foes, Back Stars of Ghana on November, the day Uyo International Stadium would be declared opened by President Goodluck Jonathan.
- Olaitan Ogungbile Sugar Confirms Sex For Movie Role Habit Of Nollywood Directors
- Richard Nwosu Picks Wedding Date: Nollywood Actor & US-based Fiancee Getting Married
- Bob Manuel Udokwu & Tony One Week Muonagor Battle For Political Seat In Anambra State
- Omoni Oboli’s Husband Send Roses & Love Letter To Her As They Mark 14th Wedding Anniversary
- Photos: Ini Edo’s Politician Sugar Daddy Buys Mansion For Her In Lekki Lagos To Wipe Divorce Pain
- Omoni Oboli & Husband Step Out For 14th Wedding Anniversary Dinner
- Chika Ike Flaunts Bikini Body, Says She’s Living A Golden Life
- Nollywood Actor, Pastor Zack Orji Willing To Join Politics
- Ibinabo Fiberesima Reveals Husband’s Name
- Desmond Elliot: “I’m A Yoruba Man, My Father Is From Lagos, Mother From Delta State
- Uche Jombo Flaunts Baby Bump In Texas, Ruth Kadiri Wears Ripped Jeans
- Ronke Oshodi Oke Ojo On First Marriage Crash “Why I Divorced My 1st Husband In Canada”
- Nollywood Actresses Iyabo Ojo, Foluke Daramola, Ayo Adesanya & Empress Njamah At BON Awards
- Photo: Nigerian Soldiers Flee From Mubi After Boko Haram Rocket Attack
- Mubi Attack: Boko Haram Fires Rocket Into Adamawa State, Residents Flee
- Italian Catholic Priest Commits Suicide Inside Church Sacristy In Italy
- Nursing Mother Killed By Robbers In Bauchi, Igbo Community Mourns
- Photos: Ghanaian Singer Lady Jay Beaten Up By Her Manager
- Senegalese Boys Bullied In New York School, Called Ebola & Beaten Up By Classmates
- Fake Visafone Agents Jailed For 21 Years For Fraud By Kano High Court
- Photos: Nigerian Police ASP Emmanuel Mbilla Loses Sight After Navy Officer Attacked Him
- Autopsy Report: TB Joshua’s Church Collapse Victims Crushed To Death
- Jobless UNILAG Graduate Steals Pot Of Soup In Somolu Lagos Over Hunger
- Wizkid Arrested For Smoking Marijuana Weed In Nairobi Kenya Hotel [PHOTO]
- Atiku-owned American University Of Nigeria Dean Killed By Boko Haram In Mubi Adamawa
- Armed Robbers Send Christmas Robbery Intention Letters To Lagos Residents
- Borno Govt. to procure waste recycling plant THE Borno Government, on Thursday said it would procure a recycling plant to convert the increasing [Thursday, 30 October 2014 12:29]
- PDM elects 26-member executive committee in Kogi THE Peoples Democratic Movement (PDM) in Kogi said on Thursday it had elected a 26-member executive [Thursday, 30 October 2014 12:14]
- Benue guber aspirant charges youths on fruitful decisions • Journalists tasked on fair, objective election coverage YOUTHS in Benue State have been [Thursday, 30 October 2014 07:00]
- Defection: PDP chieftain commends Mimikos defection from LP MR MICHAEL Adeyeye, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ondo State, on Thursday [Thursday, 30 October 2014 12:11]
- Jang urges councils, states to look inwards for revenue PLATEAU State Governor, Jonah Jang, has urged states and local councils to look inwards for revenue [Thursday, 30 October 2014 06:57]
- ALGON, PDP bicker over Amaechis wife pet project THE Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) in Rivers State and the People’s Democratic [Thursday, 30 October 2014 07:33]
- NHRC to release names of politicians indicted for electoral violence • As Kuffor leads ECOWAS delegation to Nigeria THE National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) yesterday [Thursday, 30 October 2014 06:34]
- Police arrest suspected thug over disruption of Delta council poll • Group lauds conduct of election A SUSPECTED thug, who attempted to disrupt last Saturday’s council [Thursday, 30 October 2014 07:26]
- Lagos commissions 8.8mw Mainland IPP LAGOS State government yesterday commissioned the 8.8MW Mainland Independent Power Plant (IPP) in [Thursday, 30 October 2014 06:32]
- Group condemns attack on Akwa Ibom governorship aspirants office • Akpanudoedehe collects governorship nomination form THE Director-General of Akwa Ibom Goodluck [Thursday, 30 October 2014 07:22]
- Oshiomhole says alleged attacks on PDP chieftains are diversionary THE Edo State governor, Adams Oshiomhole, yesterday took a swipe on the opposition People’s [Thursday, 30 October 2014 07:17]
- Scores feared killed as Boko Haram invades Mubi DOZENS of residents of Mubi were feared killed yesterday when the Islamist terrorist group, Boko [Thursday, 30 October 2014 06:21]
- Kogi West politicians oppose Adeyemis third term Senate bid • Ex-SSG, Ahmadu, withdraws from race • Group roots for Haruna A COALITION of politicians in Kogi [Thursday, 30 October 2014 07:05]
- Why shale gas is no threat to LNG, by Obaseki FEARS that the discovery of shale oil in commercial quantity in the United States (U.S.) poses a [Thursday, 30 October 2014 06:18]
- FG to exploit value addition initiatives for industrial, SMEs growth THE Federal Ministry of Science and Technology in partnership with the Raw Materials Research [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:07]
- Infinix Zero available on Konga.com INFINIX Mobile, a joint venture company of Mobiwire (formerly known as Sagem Wireless) and Earning [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:06]
- Etisalat claims 18% growth rate in Nigeria TELECOMMUNICATIONS firm, Etisalat Nigeria has claimed a growth profile of over 18 per cent since [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:04]
- Report raises concerns over increasing cyber attacks . Claims 63% of organisations affected by malware in 2013 EXCEPT organisations develop thick skin [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:04]
- Experts urge cultivation of savings habit NIGERIANS have been urged to cultivate the habit of savings and investments. Experts who [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:02]
- Nigeria up by five steps in World Banks doing business ranking Kano Added as a Second City for Nigeria in the World Bank Group’s Doing Business Report NIGERIA’S [Thursday, 30 October 2014 15:01]
- Explorationists worry about Nigerias declining crude oil reserves To discuss future of hydrocarbon at forum NIGERIAN Association of Petroleum Explorationists (NAPE), [Thursday, 30 October 2014 14:59]
- I dont have a World Cup team yet, says Coach Okon •Ambassador urges adequate preparation for Mundial DESPITE winning the ninth edition of the African [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 22:11]
- Jonathan hosts victorious Falcons today PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan will today receive the national women team, Super Falcons, in Aso Rock, [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 22:09]
- COE Minna receive cash gifts, materials from Airtel, Coca Cola TELECOMMUNICATIONS outfit, Airtel, has donated the sum of N1.5 million cash and materials worth over [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 22:06]
- Bankers Games: First Bank, STANCHART win FIRST Bank not only emerged unscathed in the winner-takes-all challenge with STANBIC-IBTC, it also [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 18:42]
- Pinnick has justified my push for change in NFF, says Danagogo SPORTS Minister, Tammy Danagogo, was all smiles as he addressed captains of industries and other [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 18:39]
- Danagogo, NFF factions meet today, as FIFA gives Nigeria Friday deadline • Mark urges stakeholders to resolve crisis THE crisis that has bedeviled Nigerian football [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 22:16]
- Iheanacho, Oshoala highlight depth of talents in Nigerian football NIGERIAN football in recent times has witnessed some setbacks, some of which are the result of [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 18:33]
- Six countries register for Obudu African Championships SIX AFRICAN countries will be fielding teams for the Sixth African Nations Mountain Running [Tuesday, 28 October 2014 22:14]
- NFF staff desert office, as Giwas board inaugurate committees • ‘We are ready for reconciliation’ [Monday, 27 October 2014 21:39]
- Kenya: DOBA faculty to invest in E-learning Slovenia’s Business School DOBA, in Kenya, is expected to spend slightly over USD 1 Million in the next 5 years in Kenya. According to DOBA, it is driving a public-private partnership program seeking to get employers in the 4 Kenyan cities to endorse e-learning and encourage employees to sign up and acquire new skills in ...
- Africa’s emerging markets offer high growth for e-Commerce Africa offers enormous growth potential for e-retailers given that online shopping is in its infancy in the region. This is according to Sumesh Rahavendra, head of marketing for DHL Express Sub Saharan Africa (SSA), who says the recently released ‘Shop the...
- Burundi Gov commissions Metropolitan Area Nework for Bujumbura The Government of Burundi in conjunction with Huawei and Onatel officially commission the Metropolitan Area Network (MAN) project installations for Bujumbura. The Bujumbura MAN project is as a result of a grant from the Government of the People’s Republic...
- Smart Telecom expansion set at USD 300 Million According to Smart Telecom, it has set a budget of USD 300 Million in order to expand its telecommunications network’s across a number of East African countries including Tanzania, Uganda and Burundi over the next five years. Smart Telecom originally...
- MTN SA introduces 49 cents per minute international call tariff MTN South Africa has launched a new international calling promotion that will see customers being provided with the opportunity to call selected destinations from as little as 79 cents per minute. MTN will also introduce the new international calling bundle...
- Rwanda accelerates plans for cashless economy The Government of Rwanda has moved to accelerate its plans to transform Rwanda into a cashless economy and achieve 80 percent financial inclusion by 2017. Rwanda’s commitment to using information and communications technology (ICT) for financial...
- HDS unveils 3 new options for private and hybrid cloud Hitachi Data Systems Corporation (HDS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi, Ltd. announced 3 new ways for customers, providers and partners to gain the benefits of the cloud without compromising the control, flexibility or security of their data. First is...
- Kenya: Azimo unveils instant M-PESA transfer service Azimo, an online money transfer service, has revealed that customers across Europe can now send money instantly to the mobile “eWallets” of M-PESA’s 19 million subscribers in Kenya. Kenya boasts one of the highest global rates of mobile banking, with...
- Facebook’s Internet.org App launches in Tanzania Tigo has revealed that it is teaming up with Facebook to provide millions of Tanzanians with affordable Internet and free access to some basic online services through the Internet.org app. The Internet.org app will be available on October 29, and Tigo...
- Airtel Kenya to offer free mobile access to Twitter Airtel Kenya has revealed that it will be offering its prepaid mobile users the ability to access social media network, Twitter, free of charge until 15 January 2015. According to Airtel, the limited-time offer will allow customers to enjoy free access to...
- Uganda: Liquid Telecom to invest UGX 2 billion into Infocom Liquid Telecom is set to invest UGX 2 billion in its Ugandan subsidiary Infocom. The reason for the move is to extend its infrastructure across Kampala’s Central Business District and to multiple rural towns across Uganda, including Mukono, Jinja,...
- Tigo music set to go live in Ghana Tigo Ghana has announced the launch of Tigo Music in partnership with Deezer, the international music streaming service. Through pre-paid data bundles, Tigo customers will from 31 October be able to access more than 35 million tracks, including African and...
- Nigeria: Smile launches 4G service in Abuja Nigeria’s Smile Communications has launched LTE broadband internet service in Abuja. The company said the Abuja roll-out, coming barely one year after its 2013 commercial unveiling of its network in Ibadan, and months after Lagos, followed more than...
- MoboFree marketplace launches in Nigeria Social marketplace MoboFree.com is set to launch a presence in Lagos, Nigeria. According to the online portal it has over 3 million registered users, including 2.2 million in Nigeria and a strong footprint in Zimbabwe, Uganda and Ghana. MoboFree combines a...
- Terragon Group MD to speak at GSMA Mobile 360 Terragon Group’s Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Elo Umeh, will be a speaker at the GSMA Mobile 360 Africa event – which will hold on November 5-7 2014 at The Clock Tower Conference Centre in Cape Town, South Africa. The Conference...
- IBM & Airtel to launch Ebola containment initiatives in Africa Airtel, IBM Research Africa and Kenya’s Echo Mobile have joined forces to launch several initiatives to help curb the spread of Ebola in West Africa. The initiatives include a citizen engagement and analytics system in Sierra Leone that enables...
- Jumia Social Post Enjoy the amazing features and latest technology of the the Innjoo range of smartphones and tablets. They’ re sleek and super efficient. Get them now at very affordable prices, from… ...
- FCDA demolishes houses in Kpaduma Some officials of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) and Development Control, in company of well armed Joint Tasked Force team, violated the court injunction restraining them from demolishing houses… ...
- Panic as survivor of Ebola virus arrives Lagos There was palpable panic yesterday at the Lagos international airport when a Nigerian, who had been cured of the Ebola virus disease in Sierra Leone arrived the country. Theophilus Onnakhinon,… ...
- Ebola crisis: US nurse rejects quarantine A nurse who cared for Ebola patients in Sierra Leone is fighting the US state of Maine over its right to quarantine her against her will. In a test case… ...
- 7 in 10 stroke patients suffer paralysis, die –Expert • 16000 new cases reported in Nigeria annually Three out of 10 stroke patients may survive the condition, as others might die or become perpetually paralyzed, a Consultant Neurosurgeon, and… ...
- We’ll conquer Boko Haram soonest — COAS Chief of Army Staff, COAS, Lt-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, yesterday declared that any moment from now, insecurity in the country orchestrated by the Boko Haram insurgents would be a thing of… ...
- FEC okays draft bill for biotechnology development The Federal Executive Council, FEC, yesterday approved the Draft Bill 2014 for an Act to establish the National Biotechnology Development Agency, NABDA, and other related matters. The draft bill is… ...
- Nigerians’ e-transfers hit N80bn daily Currently, statistics on business transactions show that about N80billion is electronically transferred daily from one bank account to the other in Nigeria. This was disclosed by the new Group Managing… ...
- Jonathan promises ministerial slot for FCT indigenes President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday promised ministerial slot for indigenes of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, if the party is voted into power in 2015. Jonathan made the promise when he… ...
- Ondo PDP now in disarray – Chieftain A chieftain of Ondo State Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Benson Enikuomehin, has called on the party’s National Working Committee, NWC, to avoid taking any decision that can ruin the chances… ...
ConocoPhillips 3rd-quarter profit up on Nigeria asset sale
ConocoPhillips, the largest U.S. independent oil company, reported higher third-quarter profit on Thursday, lifted by… ...World Trade Agreement: FG approves Nigeria’s Category ‘A’ implementation commitment
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the notification… ...Ban obsolete aircraft from Nigerian airspace, NSE tells FG
Following the high rate of air disasters in the country and in line with reforms… ...Forte Oil grows profit to N4.01bn in 9 months
Forte Oil Plc has released its nine-months result which ended September 30, with profit after… ...N4.4bn debt: Kaduna DISCO seeks National Assembly intervention
The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company, Mallam Idris D. Mohammed, has… ...Nigeria’s high corruption index worries accountants
Association of National Accountants of Nigeria (ANAN) yesterday decried the alarming rate of corruption in the country, wondering why all efforts aimed at curbing the menace have not yielded fruits. ...Stakeholders advocate infrastructure devt fund for Abia
Worried by infrastructural decay and poor condition of roads, which have adversely affected commercial activities in Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State, a group, the Abia Think Tank Association (ATTA), has advocated a tripartite funding arrangement to tackle the problem. ...Jonathan appoints Bernard Otti as new NNPC DMD
President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday approved Mr. Bernard O. N. Otti, as the new Deputy Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). ...FirstBank Sustainability Centre partners LBS to host Conference
FirstBank Sustainability Centre is partnering the Lagos Business School to host the International Sustainability Conference scheduled for October 30, 2014 at the Honeywell Auditorium, Lagos Business School, Ajah, Lagos. ...Adetu bows out as O’Keeffe takes over at Guinness
Guinness Nigeria Plc, a subsidiary of Diageo Plc, has announced that Mr. Seni Adetu will be stepping down as the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the company at next month’s board meeting just as Mr. John O’Keeffe takes over from him. ...Ebola can’t kill the spirit of Osun festival
• A devotee chats with an Ifa priest in the grove. The blissful relationship between… ...Two years after, facebook continues to post Goldie Harvey’s birthday
If she were still alive, late diva, Goldie Harvey, would have added another year on… ...Dumo Lulu-Briggs: My dad is my greatest inspiration
Tall, handsome, soft-spoken and down-to-earth, Chief Dumo Lulu Briggs, a lawyer, sits atop the board… ...Judith Muoneke, first runners-up, Face of ANSU dreams big
Just fresh from being the first runners-up at this year’s edition of Face of Anambra… ...Love at first sight: How Prince Ekeh proposed to me –Muma Gee
Have you been wondering where Kade Queen, Muma Gee, has been all this while? You… ...23 years after, Ade bantu shaves off dread locks!
Next time you see Nigerian-German afropolitan musician and producer, Ade Bantu (Adegoke Olukoyaha), you may… ...Las Vegas, my favourite holiday spot –Mary Elumelu- James
She is simply called Aju but her real names are Mary- Jane Aju Elumelu-James. Coming… ...I miss making movies like hell –Fidelis Duker
After 11 years of successfully steering the ship of Anglophone Africa’s longest running film festival,… ...YOLANDA GEORGE-DAVID: I had 18 miscarriages
Dr. Yolanda George-David is a psychologist and life coach. She is also a presenter with… ...I speak in tongues before going on stage–KSB
Top gospel artiste and talk show host turned-politician, Kenny St Best shares her over 16… ...
- Zenith Bank records single-digit growth in Q3 profit - Nigeria Zenith Bank plc has recorded a single-digit growth in its third quarter (Q3) profits as the industry grapples with multiple regulations by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) that is the slowing bottom-line performance of most lenders. For the first nine months through September 2014, Zenith Bank recorded a growth of 1.81 percent in
- NSE becomes full member of WFE at General Assembly in Korea - The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), on Tuesday, announced that it received a unanimous vote for admission as a full member of the World Federation of Exchanges (WFE), the global trade association for the operators of regulated securities exchanges. The NSE was elected as a Federation member during the 54th General Assembly and annual meeting of
- Alcatel-Lucent, MTN to boost broadband connectivity in Nigeria - Alcatel-Lucent is opening up Africa’s most populous nation to the benefits of ultra-broadband connectivity by launching a superfast, 100 gigabit-per-second fibre-optic network with MTN Nigeria, a subsidiary of Johannesburg-based MTN Group, and the leading service provider in Africa. MTN Nigeria, which covers more than almost 90 percent of Nigeria’s land mass, will deploy a 100G
- Financial freedom to drive prosperity in Africa - Barclays Africa has launched a report that shows Africans equate prosperity to achieving financial freedom, as Africa continues to experience growth ahead of other developing economies. Barclays Africa is among the leading banks on the continent with a presence in 14 African countries. The Barclays Africa Prosper Report captures what ‘prosper’ means to Africans in
- CCNN records 56.77% rise in Q3 profit buoyed by reduced costs - Cement Company of Northern Nigeria (CCNN) has recorded a 56.77 percent rise in third quarter (Q3) profit buoyed by effective cost savings, analysis of the financial statement reveals. For the first nine months through September 2014, the company’s profit after tax surged by 56.77 percent to N1.73 billion from N1.10 the same period of the
- StarTimes plans expansion to 36 states by December, unveils new channels - StarTimes has announced network’s plans to reach 36 states of the federation before the end of the year as it unveiled nine additional channels. At the moment, the service provider has coverage in 32 states and cities across the country. Joshua Wang, Nigeria executive officer of pay-TV provider StarTimes, disclosed these while addressing newsmen in
- ‘We want telecom companies to continue investing in infrastructure’ - Infrastructure has been a major challenge in the e-payment industry, Jay Alabraba, co-founder, Paga, in this interview with Hope Moses-Ashike, explains that Paga is built to work in inadequate infrastructure environment, as he x-rays other issues in the sector. Excerpt: What has been the main challenge to the mobile payment industry in Nigeria? There are
- Ogun ‘ll post N10bn monthly revenue in 2015 – Amosun - Having recorded an average of N6 billion monthly internally generated revenue in most of the months in the 2014 budget, Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State says that the state targets an average of N10 billion in yet-to-prepare 2015 state budget. Speaking at the 2015 Budget town hall meeting held in Abeokuta, recently, Amosun noted
- IBM deploys fresh technologies against Ebola - As the human toll of the Ebola disease continues to climb up in critically affected West African nations, IBM has launched several initiatives to help curb the spread of the viral disease in the sub-region. This initiatives include a citizen engagement and analytics system in Sierra Leone that enables communities affected by Ebola to communicate
- CFAO Intermotors makes GMSA awardees list - General Motors Africa has honoured the region’s top-performing and longest-serving dealers of the Chevrolet and Isuzu brands including CFAO Intermotors Nigeria at an inaugural annual awards evening held in Johannesburg, South Africa’s commercial and economic capital. Attended by GM dealers from across sub-Saharan Africa, the awards were presented by Ian Nicholls, the GM South Africa
- ‘Jonathan had ordered Keshi be reinstated’ Stephen Keshi could be set for a surprise return as coach of African champions Nigeria after the apparent intervention of the country’s President Goodluck Jonathan [October 30, 2014]
- Court case dropped against NFF A court case against Nigeria’s football association that threatened to earn the country a lengthy ban from international competition has been dropped, lawyers said on Thursday. [October 30, 2014]
- I won’t obey court order based on hearsay – Danagogo Sports Minister Tammy Danagogo says he will ‘never obey’ any court order that is not explicitly served on him, amid accusations of disobeying a court order after appearing in public with Amaju Pinnick, whose election as the Nigeria Football Federation President was annulled by the Federal High Court in Jos. [October 30, 2014]
- Kalu tasks Pinnick on unity As controversy continues to envelop the Nigeria Football Federation, former Governor of Abia State and Pillar of Sports, Dr. Orji Kalu has made a passionate call for calm. [October 30, 2014]
- I want to score in every match in Canada – Oparanozie Top scorer in the African Women Championship, Desire Oparanozie has promised to score more goals and propel the Super Facons to a respectable finish at the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Canada. [October 30, 2014]
- Court decides on NFF case today Justice Ambrose Allagoa of the Federal High Court sitting in Jos yesterday adjourned to today, to rule in the case of preliminary objection filed by the counsel to the Nigeria Football Federation, Damon Dashen. [October 30, 2014]
- Akwa Ibom inaugurates stadium commissioning committee Towards guaranteeing a hitch free opening ceremony, the Akwa Ibom State Government Tuesday in Uyo set in motion a Central Planning Committee to deliver “ a unique commissioning ceremony” for its 30,000 capacity Akwa Ibom International Stadium. [October 30, 2014]
- Mbachu retires Super Falcons striker, Stella Mbachu has announced her retirement from football. [October 29, 2014]
- Mourinho: Mikel’s a true professional Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has praised the professionalism of Super Eagles midfielder John Obi Mikel for keeping up his performance when needed despite losing his spot in the team. [October 29, 2014]
- Man U sign deal with Nigerian fruit juice company English Premiership giants, Manchester United, have signed a deal with with Chi Limited to become the club’s official soft drinks partner in Nigeria. [October 29, 2014]
- Jonathan receives AWC trophy from Super Falcons President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday in Abuja received the trophy of the just concluded African Women Championship (AWC) from the winners, Nigeria’s Super Falcons. [October 29, 2014]
- Court rules on NFF’s case Oct. 30 The Federal High Court in Jos on Wednesday fixed Oct. 30 for ruling on an appeal for execution of its Oct. 23 ruling nullifying the General Assembly of Nigeria Football Federation in Warri, Delta. [October 29, 2014]
- Maradona withdraws theft complaint against girlfriend after video leak Former Argentine soccer star Diego Maradona on Tuesday withdrew a theft complaint against his ex-girlfriend, after a video surfaced that allegedly showed him hitting her, news reports said. [October 29, 2014]
- FIFA gives Nigeria reprieve Nigeria yesterday received a reprieve from world soccer-governing body, FIFA, which has moved the deadline for the nation’s ban to Friday, October 31, 2014 at midday Nigerian time. [October 29, 2014]
- NFF Congress: FA Chairmen to sue for forgery Some State Football Association Chairmen have vowed to sue those behind the current football crisis for impersonation and forgery. Their story started this way: [October 29, 2014]
- Eagles on course for Afcon 2015 ticket – Lawal Nigeria international Raheem Lawal is confident that the Super Eagles will qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco. [October 29, 2014]
- NFF consoles SAFA on Meyiwa’s killing The Nigeria Football Federation has commiserated with the South African Football Association (SAFA) over the tragic death of the Bafana Bafana Captain, Senzo Meyiwa. [October 29, 2014]
- Nigeria’ll identify with the Shuttle Time Initiative – Danagogo MINISTER of Sports and Chairman, National Sports Commission, Dr. Tammy Danagogo has assured that the country will tap into the school’s sports to ensure the success and sustainability of the Shuttle Time initiative which is a campaign of the World Badminton Federation in order to harness enormous talents from the grassroots. [October 29, 2014]
- Eulogies for Ekeji at book launch It was a day of glory in Abuja yesterday for the former Director General of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Dr. Patrick Ekeji as sports stakeholders in the country who graced the occasion of the presentation of his book titled; Odyssey of a Green Eagle heaped praises on him for his efforts in the development of sports in Nigeria. [October 29, 2014]
- FIFA Ballon d’ór: Toure, Messi, Lahm battle to unseat Ronaldo Ivorian midfielder and captain, Yaya Toure, has emerged the only African player listed in the 23-man shortlist for the 2014 FIFA Ballon d’Or. [October 28, 2014]
- Withdraw your case from court, make peace, Danagogo begs Giwa The Sports Minister, Tammy Danagogo, on Tuesday urged all the parties involved in the current crisis rocking the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to withdraw their case from the court. [October 28, 2014]
- Fifth Chukker savours Patrons Cup win Fifth Chukker has been celebrating their victory in the MTN African Patrons Cup Polo Tournament held weekend at the Kangimi resort in Kaduna. [October 28, 2014]
- Ameobi: Anything can happen against City Manchester City are the bookmakers’ clear favourites ahead of tonight’s Capital One Cup fourth round tie against Newcastle, but Sammy Ameobi has insisted: “You never know what can happen.” [October 28, 2014]
- FIFA gives Nigeria Friday deadline Nigeria Tuesday received a reprieve from world soccer-governing body, FIFA, which has moved the deadline for the nation’s ban to Friday, October 31, 2014 at midday Nigerian time.
The grace according to FIFA’s Secretary-General Jerome Valcke in a letter addressed to the President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick was in order to give Nigerian football a last opportunity to avoid a lengthy suspension. [October 28, 2014]
- NFA crisis: Association urges Jonathan to call Giwa to order he Association of Professional Footballers of Nigeria (APFON) has urged President Goodluck Jonathan to call the Chris Giwa-led faction of the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) to order to end the crisis in the football house. [October 28, 2014]
- FIFA fully supports 2018 World Cup in Russia—Blatter World football boss Sepp Blatter said Tuesday that FIFA categorically backs Russia’s staging of the 2018 World Cup and praised its preparations. [October 28, 2014]
- Okala wants foreign coaches for Super Falcons ahead of Canada 2015 Awka – Emmanuel Okala, a former international, on Monday called for the employment of foreign coaches for the Super Falcons to boost their chances at the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup. [October 28, 2014]
- NFF: President Jonathan shocked, invites Pinnick President Goodluck Jonathan is scandalised by those who are perpetuating crisis in Nigeria’s football and has invited President of Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick to know the cause of the latest problem. [October 28, 2014]
- Danagogo canvasses support for Falcons The Minister of Sports and Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Dr Tammy Danagogo has predicted that Nigeria will win the FIFA World Cup soon. But that will come through the women team, the Super Falcons. [October 28, 2014]
- Idoko wins Chevron Junior Tennis Masters Junior tennis star Emmanuel Idoko has won the 2014 NNPC/Chevron Junior Tennis Masters. [October 28, 2014]
- Meyiwa was not protecting anyone – Police The police have revealed that Senzo Meyiwa was not protecting anyone when he was shot dead on Sunday night. [October 27, 2014]
- Iheanacho ‘ll be pivotal in my team – Siasia Newly appointed coach of the National U-23 team, Samson Siasia says he will be building his Olympic team around most of the players of victorious Golden Eaglets who won the last FIFA cadet championship in the United Arab Emirates in 2013, including Kelechi Iheanacho. [October 27, 2014]