- Nollywood Actor Yul Edochie Declares Intention to Run for Presidency [Vanguard] Yul Edochie, Nollywood actor and the son of veteran movie star, Mr Pete Edochie, Monday declared his intention to vie for the office of the president coming 2019 general election.
- Govt Earmarks $322M Abacha Loot for Social Programmes [Premium Times] The federal government says the $322.52 million Abacha loot recovered recently from the Swiss government would be ploughed into its national social safety net programmes.
- Senator Dino Melaye Arrested [Premium Times] Nigerian Senator Dino Melaye has been arrested.
- 10 Killed, Houses Burnt As Gunmen Attack Kogi Community [Premium Times] The police in Lokoja on Sunday confirmed the death of 10 persons when gunmen invaded Kpanche community in Bassa Local Government Area of Kogi State.
- Govt Says Getting Positive Signals On Budget From National Assembly [Daily Trust] Washington DC -The Federal Government yesterday said it has gotten assurance that the 2018 budget would be passed in a few weeks' time.
- Buhari Not Desperate for Power - Presidency [Daily Trust] The Presidency said an important motivation for President Muhammadu Buhari's bid for second term is that the gains made from 2015 should not be frittered.
- How U.S.-China Trade 'War' Will Affect Nigeria [This Day] Washington DC -The Director General of West African Institute for Financial and Economic Management (WAIFEM), Professor Akpan Ekpo has said ongoing trade tension between the United States and China, if allowed to continue, would affect Nigeria negatively.
- World Earth Day - Nigeria Urges Citizens to Stop Plastic Pollution [Premium Times] The federal government has urged Nigerians to take proactive measures that will end plastic pollution and protect the planet.
- U.S. to Deliver 12 War Jets to Nigeria in 2020, Says Official [Vanguard] The U.S. says it will in 2020 deliver the 12 Super Tucano fighter jets and other weapons it agreed to sell to Nigeria to combat Boko Haram insurgents and other extremist groups.
- Miracle WIns Big Brother Naija [allAfrica] Miracle Ikechukwu Igbokwe has emerged the winner of Big Brother Naija show after garnering the most votes.
- Death Toll Rises As Kogi Killings Spread [Premium Times] The attack by armed person in Kogi has spread to two more communities leading to the death of at least six more people.
- One Dead, 17 Injured in Accident Involving Chibok Girls' Parents [Premium Times] Some parents of the the abducted Chibok girls were involved in an accident along Song-Yola road in Adamawa, North-east Nigeria.
- Nigerian Burnt to Death in South Africa [Vanguard] A Nigerian has been burnt to death in Rustenburg, South Africa, after his vehicle was set ablaze by yet-to-be identified people.
- Nigeria, IMF Differ On Ranking [Daily Trust] Washington DC -Finance Minister Mrs Kemi Adeosun has tackled the International Monetary Fund over its rating that places Nigeria among low income countries.
- Xenophobia - South African Mob Burns Another Nigerian Alive [Premium Times] The Nigerian Community in South Africa has announced the killing of Clement Nwaogu, who was burnt alive by a mob in the latest xenophobia attack in that country.
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie to Address Harvard College Class of 2018 [This is Africa] Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is set to address the Harvard College Class of 2018 on the 23rd of May. Previous invited speakers include Martin Luther King Jr. who was represented by his wife, Coretta Scott King in 1968. King accepted the invitation before he was assassinated in April and his wife spoke in his place.
- Dino Melaye Released [Premium Times] Dino Melaye, the Kogi senator who was arrested in Abuja early Monday, has been released after a stand-off that lasted about two and a half hours, his spokesperson has told PREMIUM TIMES
- Final Desperate Efforts to Crush Boko Haram [CAJ News] Maiduguri -THE Nigerian Army has pledged to eliminate the Boko Haram terror group in the next four months.
- IMF Acknowledges CBN's Monetary Policy Success [Guardian] The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is relishing the success of its monetary policy, especially regarding the foreign exchange, as the efforts have been finally acknowledged by the international financial community.
- Nigerian Army Arrests Pipeline Vandals, Cultists [Guardian] In the bid to nab criminal activities around Lagos and Ogun states, soldiers of the 81 Division of the Nigerian Army have arrested 15 suspected pipeline vandals at Ilara and Imagbon areas of Ikorodu, 23 suspected cultists in the Ejinrin area of Ikorodu, and seven suspected impostors.
- 13 Killed in Kogi, Borno Attacks [Guardian] An early morning attack by unknown gunmen yesterday resulted in the death of five persons and burning of 15 houses as well as unspecified number of vehicles and motorcycles at Kpanche village in Bassa council area of Kogi State.The Commissioner of Police, Ali Janga, who confirmed the incident in Lokoja, added that six of the attackers were also killed in the ensuing gun duel with security agents.
- Shell Clears Air On Bodo Oil Spill Pollution Clean-Up [Guardian] The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC) said it has commenced the clean-up of Bodo oil spill since September 2017 with the removal of free-phase surface oil.
- Govt Lauds Pre-Colonial Technology in Nigeria [Guardian] Benin City -The Federal Government has called on Nigerians to improve the science and technology bequeathed on them by their forefathers long before the country's emergence.Minister of Science and Technology, Ogbonnaya Onu, made the call at the public presentation of a book entitled, "Ogiamien and the Illusion of Kingship in Benin" written by the Esogban of Benin Kingdom, Chief David Edebiri in Benin City, Edo State
- Govt Commits to Plastic Bags Phase-Out, Lufasi Marks Earth Day [Guardian] As the World marks 2018 Earth Day, the Federal Government has expressed commitment towards phase-out of non- biodegradable plastics.The Minister of State for Environment, Ibrahim Jibril stated that the government is exploring the possibility of banning plastic bags with availability of alternatives.He urged Nigerians to take action to end plastic pollution, adding that plastic pollution is poisoning our oceans and land, injuring marine life, and affecting our health.
- Three Masquerades Arrested, 42 Injured, 20 Vehicles Damaged As Adoration Worshippers Clash [Guardian] Onitsha -Three masquerades and one person have been arrested by the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Anambra State police command, attached to Neni Police Division, Anaocha Local Government Area, following a violent clash, which erupted between some Christians and Uke indigenes during the Uzo-Iyi festival of the town held at the weekend.
- How I Was Arrested At the Airport - Dino Melaye [Daily Trust] The Senator representing Kogi West Senatorial District at the National Assembly Dino Melaye has explained how he was arrested by the officers of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) on Monday morning.
- Dino Melaye Arrested On His Way to Morocco [Vanguard] CHAIRMAN, Senate Committee on the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Senator Dino Melaye , APC, Kogi West has just been arrested by the Police at the International wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport.
- Militants Withdraw Ultimatum to Buhari On Boroh's Recall [Vanguard] Warri -THE Reformed Niger Delta Avengers, RNDA, and a coalition of nine militant groups in the Niger Delta have withdrawn the four-week ultimatum they gave President Muhammadu Buhari to reinstate the sacked Coordinator of the Presidential Amnesty Programme, Brigadier General Paul Boroh (retd) or risk fresh attacks on oil installations.
- Nigeria Renews Fight Against Malaria With $300m Commitment [Vanguard] AS the world marks this year's World Malaria Day, Nigeria has renewed its efforts by committing to raise malaria up the national priority list, including securing $300 million in new financing from the World Bank, Islamic Development Bank and African Development Bank to help finance its national malaria strategy.
- 'Nigeria Not a Beggarly Country' - Consul-General [Vanguard] Nigeria is not a beggarly country but an important stakeholder on the international stage, Mr Kayode Laro, the Nigeria's Consul-General in Atlanta said.
- New research reveals how Africa is using the Cloud Cloud computing has taken off dramatically across Africa’s major markets, but its benefits are experienced very differently in each region – as are its budget allocations. These were some of the key findings of Cloud Africa 2018, a research project conducted by World Wide Worx for global networking application company F5 Networks, across Kenya, Nigeria...
- Facebook launches #SheMeansBusiness in Nigeria According to Technology Times Nigeria, SheMeansBusiness, a platform launched by Facebook, aims to train Nigerian female entrepreneurs and help them grow their businesses. Ebele Okobi, Facebook’s Public Policy Director for Africa, said that...
- Digital Eco-system launches in Nigeria Hubs.ng is Nigeria’s first digital ecosystem founded by ItopaKing David, it is aimed to create a sustainable platform where Nigeria’s digital future and transitioning can be catalysed. The digital eco-system has launched products that are used in...
- New anti-gravity tech explodes on Kickstarter Anti-gravity tech, flipstik, reached its funding goal on Kickstarter in less than 24 hours. flipstik allows users to stick and mount anything everywhere. It uses a trademarked technology called Synthetic Setae. Synthetic Setae is a reusable adhesive that...
- Investing in STEM skills crucial to South Africa’s development The basic education sector in South Africa needs to increase the number of institutions that focus on critical subjects such as science, technology, engineering, mathematics (STEM). So says Richard Firth, CEO of MIP Holdings, adding that it is crucial for...
- Impact Dakar launches first incubation program to support youth startups The Dakar office of Dalberg, an international strategy consulting firm, has announced a new incubation program that aims to regroup Dakar’s most innovative early-stage entrepreneurs and help them turn their ideas into viable start-ups, Incuberation was...
- Telepin customer receives GSMA mobile money certification Telepin, a mobile transaction platforms, announced that their customer Tigo Tanzania received the GSMA Mobile Money Certification built on the Telepin mobile money platform. The GSMA Mobile Money Certification defines and promotes excellence in the...
- Is GDPR compliance necessary for your business? As the compliance date of 25 May 2018 draws near, have you considered whether or not your business needs to align with the General Data Protection Legislation? As the GDPR is golden standard for data protection legislation globally, POPIA compliance may not...
- God of War is here God of War is officially and exclusively available on PS4 from the 20th of April. A sequel to 2010’s God of War III, the game reunites players with Kratos, God of War himself, and his son, Atreus, as they venture out into a dangerous world protected by...
- MTN introduces music streaming service in Nigeria Music streaming service of telecommunications operator MTN, has entered into a partnership with Sony Music Entertainment to distribute on its platform in the Federal Republic the content of the label’s catalogue. The partnership which has been dubbed the...
- Truecaller reaches 100 Million daily active users globally Popular communication app, Truecaller announced that it has reached over 100 million active users. With this new achievement, Truecaller in less than a year has moved passed from 100 million monthly active users (MAUs) to 100 million daily active users...
- Chrome users warned about phony Ad blockers Irrelevant ads are always annoying for every one of us, fortunately, Ad blockers are to the rescue, however, Adguard has recently identified five different fake Ad blockers that had targeted Chrome users which Google has since taken down. According to a...
- Power shifts in data ownership is revolutionising the Internet and cybersecurity Information is one of the most valuable commodities. Every day, 2.5 quintillion bytes of data is created and either has a direct monetary value or can be mined for business intelligence to get a competitive edge. Data is the lifeblood of any organisation....
- Africa’s journey to overcoming educational barriers to technology adoption Integration of technology in the classroom is inevitable as technology continues to dominate in all industries including healthcare, finance as well as retail to name a few. It is clear however that schools in Africa are lagging behind when it comes to...
- E-commerce paves the way for entrepreneurs in Ghana Global technological advancement has transformed numerous economic societies. The impact of technology specifically the internet on our business economy in Africa is remarkable. Currently, Ghana is experiencing a gradual transformation in its economy because...
- Africa Data Centres opens new floor at Nairobi data centre facility Africa Data Centres, part of the pan-African telecoms group Liquid Telecom, has on Thursday, 19 April 2018 opened a new floor at East Africa Data Centre (EADC) in Nairobi, Kenya. The additional floor will provide 500 square metres of rack space for leading...