- Oil Slump Rings Alarm Bells for Nigeria as Elections Loom Nigeria's efforts to prop up its currency months before presidential elections are being undone by the slide in oil prices. The naira tumbled to within 0.3 percent of a record low as Brent crude fell to the lowest level in more than four years. While some of the world's biggest banks say the collapse in oil is just about over, further losses would force Africa's largest producer to choose ...
- Nigeria minister 'optimistic' Boko Haram will free girls Berlin (AFP) - Nigeria's foreign minister said Tuesday that Abuja hopes to end the conflict with Islamist militant group Boko Haram soon and win the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls.
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free; 'spectacular success' ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Water laced with salt and sugar, and gallons of the nasty-tasting stuff.
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free, holds lessons for others By Camillus Eboh and Angela Ukomadu ABUJA/LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigeria was declared free of the deadly Ebola virus on Monday after a determined doctor and thousands of officials and volunteers helped end an outbreak still ravaging other parts of West Africa and threatening the United States and Spain. Caught unawares when a diplomat arrived with the disease from Liberia, authorities were alerted by ...
- Nigeria Free of Ebola as WHO Says Virus Can Be Contained The World Health Organization declared Nigeria Ebola-free after a six-week halt in new cases of the disease that killed seven people in Africa's most-populous country. "The outbreak in Nigeria has been defeated," Rui Vaz, WHO's country representative for Nigeria, told reporters today in Abuja, the capital. Liberian-American Patrick Sawyer introduced the virus to Nigeria in July when he arrived ...
- Nigeria wealth fund chief says investment plans unaffected by weak oil By Chris Vellacott LONDON (Reuters) - Nigeria's sovereign wealth fund said its investment programme over the next six months, including on infrastructure, will go ahead, even as revenues that provide its capital are hit by falling oil prices. Uche Orji, Chief Executive of the Nigeria Investment Authority, highlighted one of the vehicle's core aims is to manage oil export windfalls to cushion the ...
- How 1 doctor saved Nigeria from Ebola catastrophe A day after the World Health Organization declared Nigeria free of Ebola, the doctor who treated the country's first case of the deadly virus and later died from the disease herself is being hailed as a hero for helping stop the outbreak.
- Amodu looks to turn Nigeria fortunes Nigeria's new caretaker coach Shaibu Amodu is aiming to turn around the fortunes of the African Champions.
- Nigeria declared Ebola-free in 'spectacular success' Abuja (AFP) - Nigeria was declared Ebola-free on Monday in a "spectacular success" in the battle to contain the spread of a virus which is devastating Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia where more than 4,500 people have died.
- Nigeria: How Ebola Was Contained in Africa's Largest City Now that 42 days have passed without any new cases of Ebola in Nigeria, the country is officially Ebola-free, the World Health Organization declared today. On July 20, an ill passenger from Liberia brought the Ebola virus to Lagos, which, with a population of 21 million, is the largest city in not only Nigeria but all of Africa. "This is a spectacular success storythat shows to the world that ...
- Ebola 'Cure' Professor's Eye Drop Remedy Also Questionable [Africa Check]A Nigerian professor has claimed that eye drops made from an extract of the bitter kola tree can treat glaucoma. The evidence is questionable.
- Boko Haram - The Long Walk to Ceasefire [Daily Independent]The Federal Government last Friday finally reached a ceasefire agreement with the Boko Haram terrorists. The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh who announced the ceasefire at the end of the two-day Coordinating Conference on Cameroun-Nigeria Trans-Border Military Operations at the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), Headquarters in Abuja said has also directed all the military Service Chiefs to comply with the new ceasefire agreement, which was said to have been signed in far away Sa
- Minister 'Optimistic' Boko Haram Will Free Girls [Vanguard]Berlin -Nigeria's foreign minister said Tuesday that Abuja hopes to end the conflict with Islamist militant group Boko Haram soon and win the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls.
- Presidency Rules Out Hosting AFCON, Citing January Polls [Guardian]SOURCES at the Presidency say Nigeria is currently not interested in hosting next year's Africa Cup of Nations because it coincides with next year's general elections, reports SL10.ng.
- National Assembly Okays Independent Candidacy [Guardian]Abuja -THE two chambers of the National Assembly yesterday approved a constitutional amendment for independent candidate in future elections.
- Shell Concludes Sale of Oil Blocks to Aiteo, Erotron, Others [This Day]Royal Dutch Shell has concluded the sale of its four Nigerian onshore oil blocks - Oil Mining Leases (OML) 18, 24, 25 and 29 - in addition to the Nembe Creek Trunk Line (NCTL) - which it put up for sale following a 2013 review of its business in the country.
- Okonjo-Iweala - Nigeria Is Not Broke [This Day]Abuja -The Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has dismissed insinuations that the country was broke, explaining that the fact that oil prices had declined in recent times did not translate to an economy that is broke.
- The Escalating Insecurity in the Land [Daily Independent]President Goodluck Jonathan must rise above partisanship and take necessary steps to guarantee security, and restore the rule of law.
- 'Pneumonia Kills 143,000 Nigerian Children Annually' [Daily Trust]Calabar -A research by the Nigerian branch of South African Cochrane Centre in Calabar, Cross River State, has shown that 143,000 Nigerian children die as a result of pneumonia and fumes from generators and domestic stoves.
- To Gowon @ 80 - Time Runs [Vanguard]FORMER Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon is 80. Time really flies. The image of Gowon, in the minds of those who lived through the Civil War, was of a dashing officer, not one to be associated with 80 years and its frailties. Gowon has been known for his openness on some issues. His admission of his ill-preparedness to lead Nigeria was one.
- Jim Iyke Joins Politics [Daily Independent]Just like some of his colleagues in the entertainment world, popular Nollywood actor, Jim Iyke has turned to active Politics.
- Poor Sanitation - 150,000 Children Die Annually in Nigeria - -Unicef [Vanguard]Abuja--The United Nations Children's Education Fund has said that about 150,000 children die annually in Nigeria as a result of poor sanitation and the intake of unsafe water, which results in diarrhea.
- Remi Oyo Honoured in 'The Media Afternoon of Tributes' [Vanguard]No fewer than 500 members of the Nigerian and international media family, yesterday, paid glowing tributes to former Managing Director of News Agency of Nigeria, Dame Felicia Oluremilekun Oyo, for her indelible marks in the media industry at an event tagged: "The Media Afternoon of Songs and Tributes".
- National Assembly Retains Immunity for President, Govs [Vanguard]ABUJA--THE Conference Committee of the National Assembly on Constitution Review yesterday retained the immunity clause for the President and the Governors which was originally in the Nigerian Constitution but was recommended for removal by the House of Representatives.
- Why I Left APGA, Obi Replies Bianca Ojukwu [Vanguard]FORMER governor of Anambra State, Mr Peter Obi, has reacted to Monday's comments by Nigerian Ambassador to Spain and wife of Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Mrs Bianca Ojukwu, following his recent defection to People's Democratic Party, PDP,, where she expressed shock and disappointment among others, over the defection from All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, to PDP.
- Uduaghan At 60 - Political Leaders Tasked On Solutions to Nation's Problems [Vanguard]ASABA--PROMINENT Nigerians, including the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammed Sa'ad Abubakar III, Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State and Bishop Hassan Matthew Kukah, Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, yesterday appealed to political leaders in the country to live exemplary lives and continue to dialogue so as to find solutions to the nation's problems.
- Nigeria Not Broke, Says Okonjo-Iweala [Vanguard]ABUJA--The Federal Government yesterday, reassured that Nigeria is financially sound and has been meeting its local and international financial obligations despite dwindling revenues from crude oil exports. The assurance came from Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.
- 2015 - No Automatic Waiver for PDP Returnees, Unless... - Mu'azu [Leadership]National chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Dr Adamu Mu'azu has stated that there will not be automatic waiver for both new and returnee members of the party.
- FG Uncovers 60,000 Ghost Workers [Leadership]The federal government has uncovered a total of 60,000 ghost workers in federal establishments across the country following the staff audit of the federal government ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) on the implementation of the integrated Personnel and Payroll Information System (IPPIS).
- Audu Ogbeh Apologises for Linking BBOG Group to APC [Leadership]A chieftain of the All Progressive Congress (APC), Chief Audu Ogbeh, has retracted a statement he made recently claiming that the members of the BringBackOurGirls (BBOG) group were members of the APC.
- Boko Haram Rules Bama With Force, Jail Residents, Collect Fees for Bail - Escapees [Leadership]Accounts from fresh escapees from the captured town of Bama in Borno State reveal how the Boko Haram insurgents rule those trapped in the town with an iron fist, including sentencing many harmless residents to jail for not complying with imposed Sharia Law.
- Constitution Amendment - NASS, Governors Set for Showdown [Leadership]There are strong indications that the ongoing amendment to the nation's constitution might set federal lawmakers and state governors on a collision course over the former's resolve to grant autonomy to the country's local government system.
- Respect Ceasefire Deal, Obama Warns FG, Boko Haram [Leadership]New York -As controversies and doubts trail the ceasefire deal that was at the weekend reached by the federal government and the Boko Haram Sect in order to facilitate the quick release of the over 200 female students that were abducted by the insurgents in Chibok, the United States president, Mr. Barrack Obama, on Tuesday urged all the parties involved to implement the ceasefire deal.
- Boko Haram and the Ceasefire That Wasn't [Daily Maverick]Well, that didn't last long. The ceasefire between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government - announced on Thursday, with much fanfare, by government spokesmen - has already been broken. If, that is, it actually existed in the first place. A skeptical SIMON ALLISON considers Nigeria's track record on this subject.
- Nigerian Media Mogul John Momoh Joins the Board of the Constituency for Africa [CFA]Nigerian media mogul John Olatchy Momoh (OON), Chairman and CEO of the multi-award winning Channels Television in Nigeria, has joined the Board of Directors of the Constituency for Africa (CFA). Channels TV is the largest private-sector media outlet on the African continent. Momoh and his wife, Mrs. Olusola T. Momoh, were CFA's special guests during the 2014 Ronald H. Brown African Affairs Series, which concluded in Washington, D.C. on October 3rd.
- Police Arrest Killers of Obadina, Newswatch Editor [Daily Independent]The police in Lagos have arrested four armed robbery suspects who allegedly killed the Deputy Editor of Daily Newswatch newspapers, Toyin Obadina, early this year.
- Impending Strike Just Rumours - Health Officials [Daily Independent]Health officials in Abuja on Monday denied the rumour of an impending nationwide strike.
- Court Nullifies Jimoh Ibrahim's Take-Over of Newswatch [Daily Trust]Lagos -A Federal High Court in Lagos yesterday nullified the Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) which transferred the ownership of Newswatch Communications Limited to Global Media Mirror Limited owned by a businessman, Jimoh Ibrahim.
- Amodu Explains Decision to Accept Super Eagles' Job [Guardian]Abuja -SUPER Eagles interim chief coach, Shuaibu Amodu, yesterday gave reasons why he accepted the Nigeria Football Federation's (NFF) call to rescue the team from its current situation in the ongoing 2015 African Nations Cup (AFCON) qualifying series despite the fact that it was made clear to him that he would only supervise the remaining two matches and not lead the team to Morocco if he eventually secured the ticket.
- Kid Saxophonist, TJ Sax, Releases 'Boogie Down' [Daily Independent]Award-winning kid saxophonist, Tejiri Emore popularly known as TJ Sax has out-done himself with the release of his new single. The 12 year-old music wonder partners up with budding artiste cum songwriter, Xclaim in the new song entitled Boogie Down.
- Clems Onyeka’s Family Visits Juju Priest To Find Killer & Avenge Murder
- Chika Ike In Dubai For Pre Birthday Vacation, Rents N4M Yacht For 2 Nights
- Nigerian Actress Who Turned Hairdresser In Germany, Bukky Black Organizes Superstars Mega Nite
- Jide Kosoko’s Daughter, Bidemi Celebrates Birthday Today
- Photos & Video: Beverly Osu Puts Live Python Snake Across Neck In New Movie
- Heavily Pregnant Uche Jombo & Monalisa Chinda Attend Invasion 1897 Movie Premiere In Texas
- Frustrated Wife Tells Nollywood Actress Ronke Odusanya, Flakky Ididowo To Take Cheating Husband
- Nollywood Fashion Designer Genevieve Nnaji Wears St Genevieve Pant
- Toyin Afolayan Lola Idije On Why She Didn’t Remarry After Husband’s Death & 55th Birthday
- Photo: Ini Edo Buys N22M 2014 G-Wagon At Mercedes Benz Car Shop In Lagos Nigeria
- Stephanie Okereke & Husband Linus Idahosa Glam Genevieve’s Breast Cancer Fundraising Dinner
- Official Photos: Nollywood Movies Awards, NMA 2014, See Your Favourite Nigerian Movie Stars
- Zack Orji On Nollywood Producers Sleeping With Actresses For Roles & Encounter With Fans
- Clems Onyeka’s Family Visits Juju Priest To Find Killer & Avenge Murder
- Arrested Robbers Who Killed Newswatch Journalist In Lagos Warn “Don’t Argue With Man With Gun”
- Photo: 2 Dogs Arrested & Jailed By Police In Lagos Nigeria For Attacking Boy
- NYSC Corper, CLO Officer Accused Of Stealing N2.3 Allowance, Abayomi Isaac Claims Innocence
- Nigerian FG Seeks Secret Trial For Boko Haram Sponsor Senator Ndume
- Email:Real Boko Haram Says Jonathan Sponsoring Fake Boko Haram Terrorists Attacking Nigerians
- Photo: Armed Robbers Killed Pastor Inside Church In Oke Ela Ilaro Ogun State
- Photos: Rubbles Of Collapsed TB Joshua’s Church Building 5 Weeks After
- Skype Bank Staff Arrested For Withdrawing N875K From Dead Customer’s Account In Lagos
- MTN,Vodacom & Telkom Traced Stolen Cellphones In South Africa Mall Robbery To Nigeria
- Husband Beats Pregnant Wife To Death In Enugu
- Photo: Gambler Arrested For Saying Ex-Wife Has Ebola In Cleveland Ohio
- Gambian Man With 4 Wives, 7 Fiancees & 5 Girlfriends Arrested For Bigamy In Austria
- Stakeholders caution Mark against imposition of governorship candidate on Oyo A GROUP in the Oyo State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Monday cautioned the Senate President, David [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 04:59]
- Kukah urges govt to expand frontiers of humanity, youth DEMOCRACY dividends do not lie only in the building of roads, boreholes, hospitals and provision of [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 22:06]
- Kukah urges govt to expand frontiers of humanity, youth DEMOCRACY dividends do not lie only in the building of roads, boreholes, hospitals and provision of [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 22:06]
- Gombe monarch tasks BON on democracy, peace, Ebola THE traditional ruler of Gombe, Alhaji Abubakar Shehu Abubakar III, has stressed the need for the [Wednesday, 22 October 2014 04:43]
- Ngwa body chides Abia ex-Attorney General over 2015 guber race A GROUP, Ngwa Progessives for Good Governance (NPGG), has taken a swipe at a former Attorney General [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 22:04]
- WHO sets Jan 2015 for Ebola vaccine trials in W Africa STILL in search of an effective and safe cure for the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD), the World Health [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 22:31]
- Group, others condemn smear campaign against Ugwuanyi A SOCIO-political organization , The Enugu Regeneration Group (ERG), has condemned what it described [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 22:02]
- Female politician faults Enugus PDP consensus plan A two -time governorship contestant in Enugu State, Chief Loretta Ngozi Aniagolu, has criticized [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 22:01]
- Violence in southern Taraba will end soon, says Rep . Hopeful of PDP victoty in 2015 STRATEGIES to permanently end the incessant violence in the [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:57]
- Obi replies Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu over comment on defection to PDP FORMER Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, has reacted to an interview granted the Sun [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 22:07]
- Fresh Borno, Adamawa attacks dash IDPs hope of returning to Yobe communities THE hope of 17, 000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) from two council areas of Yobe State to [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:56]
- Academy Press records N2.34 billion revenue ACADEMY Press Plc has recorded a revenue of N2.34 billion in its 2014 operations, against N2.28 [Monday, 20 October 2014 05:23]
- Enterprise Bank pledges continuous service delivery ENTERPRISE Bank Limited has reassured its customers that the emergence of Heritage Banking [Monday, 20 October 2014 05:19]
- Minister seeks economys boost, commissions Tempo packaging facility IMPRESSED with the level of investment undertaken by a fast growing firm, Tempo Paper Pulp and [Monday, 20 October 2014 05:17]
- Why we support social media awards, by Sterling STERLING Bank Plc said its decision to support the 2014 Social Media Award Africa, stemmed from the [Monday, 20 October 2014 05:12]
- FirstBanks hope rising sustains support for NAB FIRST Bank of Nigeria Limited has sustained its commitment to providing inclusion, advocacy and [Monday, 20 October 2014 05:11]
- Presidency rules out hosting AFCON, citing January polls Cold war brews between minister, NFF over foreign coach SOURCES at the Presidency say Nigeria [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:45]
- Paddysco, TopSpot partner for Lagos soccer fair ALL is set for the 2014 edition of Paddysco/TopSpot Lagos Soccer Fair, aimed at actualising the [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:41]
- Amodu explains decision to accept Super Eagles job Says Keshi was wrongly sacked SUPER Eagles interim chief coach, Shuaibu Amodu, yesterday gave [Tuesday, 21 October 2014 21:40]
- China firm donates sports kits to school THE China International Communications Construction Corporation (CITCC) on Thursday donated table [Monday, 20 October 2014 05:28]
- Millicom & Deezer partner for Tigo Music in Africa Telecommunications and media company Millicom has extended its partnership with music streaming service Deezer to five Tigo markets in Africa. With Deezer, Tigo Music will launch in Ghana soon and roll out to Chad, DR Congo, Rwanda and Tanzania in the coming months. In Africa the service will also offer a large list of locally ...
- MTN Group sponsors GSMA Mobile 360-Africa The MTN Group has announced that it is the Platinum Event Sponsor for the GSMA Mobile 360-Africa event, which will be held in Cape Town from 5-7 November 2014. Mobile 360-Africa will attract key stakeholders from mobile and adjacent industries to examine...
- Liquid Telecom to bolster research progress in Kenya Liquid Telecom Kenya has installed a Sh400m fibre optic network connecting 25 Kenya Agricultural And Livestock Research Organisation (KALRO) centres and enabling the country’s agricultural research institution to use technology to bolster its research...
- Samsung donates 3000 smartphones in fight against Ebola Samsung Electronics South Africa has revealed that the company will donate 3000 smartphones, worth about USD 1 million (ZAR10,9 million) to support the ongoing fight against Ebola. The smartphones to be donated through the United Nations Office for the...
- Infographic: 8 Biggest security breaches in history Over the years there has been many security breaches, with companies such as eBay being targets. The info graphic, which was submitted by whoishostingthis.com, has visualised the 8 biggest security breaches in history —covering how and why we should be...
- MTN shortlisted for two AfricaCom Awards A service which is enriching the way small and large enterprises across Africa operate, and a powerful campaign about the impact of mobile technology, have garnered the attention of the 2014 AfricaCom Awards judging panel. MTN’s Global Multi-Protocol Label...
- Gabon: Airtel partners with UNESCO for IT youth training Bharti Airtel with launch a new training programme targeting to impart new technological skills to thousands of youth in Gabon in partnership with United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO). The three-year initiative –...
- Social media reacts to Pistorius sentencing Oscar Pistorius has received a five year sentence for culpable homicide. The judgement came after a seven-month trial in the North Gauteng High Court for the death of Reeva Steenkamp at his luxury Pretoria home in February 2013. According to EWN, The athlete...
- Ebola SMS system set to launch in West Africa The SMS-based system used to advise people about Ebola in Sierra Leone is set to launch across seven additional West African nations. These countries include: Benin, Togo, Ghana, Mali, Guinea-Bissau, Gambia and Burkina Faso. According to the BBC, the system...
- Nigeria: MTN claims USD 13 Billion investment According to MTN Nigeria, the company has invested USD 13 Billion in fixed assets and facilities nationwide in its thirteen years of operation in the country. MTN is set to renew its license by 2016 in Nigeria and currently has a 45 percent market share with...
- SAP sees 41% revenue growth in third quarter SAP again delivered strong growth in the cloud and a solid overall revenue performance. With non-IFRS cloud subscriptions and support revenue increasing 41% (42% at constant currencies) SAP is the fastest growing enterprise cloud company at scale . Non-IFRS...
- 10 African tech start-ups to look out for Africa is bursting with potential, especially when it comes to the tech start-up scene. A great number of companies have entered the African tech scene recently; however, 10 of these start-ups have shined, much like the glorious African sun, in the eyes of IT...
- Wiko sets sights on Nigeria’s mobile phone market Wiko has set its sights on Nigeria’s mobile phone market. The mobile phone manufacturer intends to introduce ten of its devices to the country on 22 October 2014. Ahead of its formal launch in Nigeria, the company was reported to take 12 channel...
- Egyptian government wants Etisalat on national exchange According to reports, the Egyptian Government has requested that mobile operator, Etisalat, begins the process of becoming listed on the national exchange. ICT minister, Atef Helmy, stated that: “Etisalat is planning a USD 500 million listing that would...
- Researchers looking to Nigeria for tech to suppress Ebola According to reports, following new cases of the Ebola virus in Spain, researchers are looking to Nigeria’s utilisation of 21st Century technology to study exactly how Africa’s most populous country was able to contain the deadly disease. The...
- Turkcell once again loses court challenge against MTN MTN Group has noted that a tribunal of independent arbitrators has ruled against Turkish mobile operator Turkcell, in the investor-state arbitration under a bilateral investment treaty case held in terms of the rules of the United Nations Commission on...
- FG unveils access to cash for education, health …says ICPC investigating ghost worker fraudsters The Federal Government will soon introduce a social safety net that will enable the poor to enjoy cash transfers to meet their basic socio-economic… ...
- Constitution amendment: Senate okays independent candidacy, LG autonomy …approves scrapping of SIECs The Senate yesterday adopted the report of the conference committee of the National Assembly on the review of the 1999 constitution which provides for independent candidacy… ...
- Newswatch files notice of appeal against judgement Newswatch Communications Limited yesterday filed notice of appeal against the judgement of Justice Ibrahim Buba of the Federal High Court, Lagos, which declared sales of the majority shareholding in Newswatch… ...
- Terrorism: Govt wants secret trial for Ndume Group flays FG, B’Haram’s ceasefire pact The Federal Government yesterday requested a Federal High Court, sitting in Abuja, to take the remaining evidence purportedly linking Ndume to terrorism charges in… ...
- Meter: NERC gives two-week ultimatum to DISCOs Succour may have come the way of electricity consumers whose metres are yet to be delivered months after payments as Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, has given Distribution Companies,… ...
- Enugu PDP loses councillorship to APC The Local Government Election Petition Tribunal in Enugu State, presided over by Mr. Umunna Ugwu has nullified the election of Hon. Michael Kelle of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, as… ...
- FCT SURE-P trains 1,000 youths The Federal Capital Territory Subsidy Reinvestment Empowerment Programme ( FCT SURE-P) has commenced training for over 1, 000 youths as part of its National Industrial Skills Development Programme, NISDP. The… ...
- 2015: INEC expresses concerns over participation of IDPs Ahead of the 2015 general elections, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has raised concerns about how best to ensure that Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) participate in the election. To… ...
- FCT minister approves resignation of special adviser on security Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Senator Bala Mohammed has approved the formal resignation of his Special Adviser on Security Matters, Colonel Abdullahi Sokyara Kudu (Rtd). The resignation, which is… ...
- You’re an alarmist, Imo govt tells Anyanwu The Imo State government yesterday described Senator Chris Anyanwu as alarmist saying her accusation that Governor Rochas Okorocha has plunged the state into huge debt, including local debts of about… ...
Kudos to Chime on Enugu zoning, consensus
Recently, Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu State revealed Mr. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, as the man who would succeed him at the expiration of his tenure in 2015. Media reports indicated that Ugwuanyi was the clear and popular choice of both the governor and the Nsukka zone whose ...Amaechi and politics of spurious figures
The extent of falsehood, based on either ignorance or outright mischief that is being peddled in the Nigerian public space by highly placed persons is alarming and sickening. ...Edo North: Richard Lamai raises the stakes
The race for Edo North Senatorial race nudges higher, following the declaration of the National Coordinator of PDP Reloaded, Chief Richard Lamai, to contest the senatorial election, which is the home turf of the state governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole. ...Nigeria’ll stand firm or falter in accordance with what we do in oil & gas sector – Edeoga
Remarks by Hon. Chijioke Edeoga, Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, as the chairman of the public session of the 4th triennial branch delegates conference of MOBIL Producing Nigeria branch of PENGASSAN in Abuja ...Politics Today: I want to save Imo from visionless leadership –Odom
Chief Chuka Julius Odom is one of the frontline governorship aspirants on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Imo State. The former Minister of State for Environment, ...2015: I’m still in guber race –FCT minister
Contrary to the rumour in the state that the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Senator Bala Mohammed, has withdrawn from the race for the governorship ticket of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Bauchi State, a chieftain of the party has declared that the minister is still very much in the race. ...2015: Awgu constituents endorse Ekweremadu
Deputy President of Senate, Chief Ike Ekweremadu, has reassured his people of Enugu West Senatorial District that if re-elected, he will redouble his efforts in attracting projects and development to the zone and Enugu State in general. ...Chris Anyanwu an alarmist, says Okorocha’s aide
The Imo State government yesterday described Senator Chris Anyanwu, a gubernatorial aspirant on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as an alarmist in its reaction to allegation by the serving senator that the incumbent administration has plunged the state into huge debts. ...2015: Igbo to contest all elective positions in Lagos
A socio-cultural pressure group in Lagos, Ndigbo United Association, has said Igbo in Lagos State would contest all the elective positions in the state in the 2015 general elections. ...Senate: Enugu East PDP members buy form for Chief of Staff, Nwobodo
Thousands of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) members from the Enugu East Senatorial District yesterday stormed the state secretariat of the party to buy form for the Chief of Staff, Enugu State Government House, Mrs Ifeoma Nwobodo. ...Remi Oyo dismantled obstacles – Adesina, The Sun MD
The obsequies for the former Managing Director of News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the late Mrs Oluremi Oyo, started in Lagos, yesterday, with a service of songs by the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE). ...My meeting with Jonathan not on Boko Haram –Marwa
A former military administrator of Lagos State, Brigadier General Mohammed Buba Marwa (retd), has said his meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan at the Presidential Villa on Monday, had nothing to do with ongoing ceasefire talks between Boko Haram and the Federal Government as insinuated in media reports yesterday. ...Erection of telecom mast: Sokoto residents send SOS to Wamakko
Residents of Minanata area of Sokoto metropolis in Sokoto South Local Government Area of the state have appealed to the state government to prevail on a telecommunication firm, Biswal Nig. Ltd, to stop the erection of a mast in the area. ...Cleric urges synergy between churches, mosques to change Nigeria
The Senior Pastor of Fountain of Life Church, Pastor Taiwo Odukoya, has urged the church to take up responsibility as the vehicle of change and development in Nigeria. ...Our educational system worth re-inventing –Don
The Nigerian educational system being a microcosm of its environment is highly undeserving of the periodic condemnation it receives from within and outside. ...Fayose sacks LG education secretaries
Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Ayo Fayose, has ordered the sack of all the local government education secretaries in the state. ...Pastor charged with N5m theft
A 45-year-old pastor, Bienose Chukwuka, was yesterday taken before a Lagos High Court sitting in Ikeja to contend with a 33-count charge of stealing and obtaining money by false pretences. ...Why there is anger in Nigeria –Kukah
Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Matthew Hassan Kukah, yesterday said the anger and resentment in parts of the country would subsist unless government implemented the spirit and letter of the constitution, which is the provision of basic necessities of life. ...Akwa Ibom proposes N492bn budget for 2015
A total of N492 billion draft budget for 2015 fiscal year has been proposed and forwarded to the Akwa Ibom House of Assembly for consideration and approval. ...Remi Oyo dismantled obstacles – Adesina, The Sun MD
The obsequies for the former Managing Director of News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the late Mrs Oluremi Oyo, started in Lagos, yesterday, with a service of songs by the Nigerian Guild of Editors (NGE). ...National survey’ll solve housing problem for low income earners –Eyakenyi
Mrs. Akon Eyakenyi, the Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, is one of the female politicians who can rise to the occasion when it matters most. At 54 her appointment was seen as a welcome development and a moment to celebrate a woman who has become accepted by many who look up to her as a role model in Akwa Ibom State. ...NERC gives Discos 2 weeks ultimatum on meter supply
Electricity consumers whose meters are yet to be delivered months after payment may heave a sigh of relief as Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) said it has given the distribution companies (Discos) two weeks to get them delivered. ...Abuja airport second runway national priority –FG
The Federal Government has said the construction of the second runway for the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja, is on national priority list.This is even as it disclosed that the completion of the total radar coverage of Nigeria’s airspace is attracting more international ...Forex: BDCs appeal for higher allocation
Bureaux De Change operators in the country have appealed to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) for an increase in the weekly sale of foreign exchange to each operator. ...Winners emerge in Fidelity Bank Save 4 Scholarship promo
Customers of Fidelity Bank Plc, who emerged winners at the second nationwide draw of the bank’s “Save 4 Scholarship” promo, have been rewarded with a total of N12.7 million. ...FDI: Nigeria received over $67bn in 13yrs –CBN
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) said Nigeria received Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) of over $67 billion between 2000 and 2013. ...Mark insists on full implementation of 2014 budget
Ahead of the presentation of the 2015 Appropriation Bill to the National Assembly, Senate President, David Mark, has called for the full implementation of the national budget. ...Jonathan launches National Schools Agric scheme
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday, launched the National Schools Agriculture Programme (NSAP) aimed at developing a new generation of youth agriculture enthusiasts from secondary schools. ...Beverage coys mobilise against drunk-driving
To improve road safety and promote responsible attitude towards the consumption of alcohol in the country, alcoholic beverage producing companies in Nigeria have flagged off a campaign aimed at enlightening road users on the need to abhor drunk-driving. ...Zenith Bank divests from securities arm
More than two years after the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) ordered banks not operating the holding company (HoldCo) structure to divest from non-core banking services, Zenith Bank Plc has taken steps to divest from its stockbrokerage arm, Zenith Securities Limited. ...I’m committed to my political ambition –Julius Agwu
Once more, comedy King, Julius Agwu, has declared that his ambition to run for the… ...With love from Botswana: Mpho Laing’s passion for Nigeria
She is beautiful and brainy and guess what, she is passionate about Nigeria. With a… ...Yinka Davies, Timi Dakolo for Love Musical
Timi Dakolo and DJ Xclusive will be on parade on November 2, as they join… ...I love fish pepper soup –Stone Jiang, MD Bliss Hair Nigeria
Stone Jiang is the Managing Director of Bliss Hair Nigeria. During the week , he… ...Tears for Clem Onyeka
Following the tragic death of Nollywood actor, Clems Onyeka, whose life was brutally cut short… ...I’m hot for Bruno Mars –Naomi Mac
Naomi Mac, remember her? The petit dark skinned beauty that enthralled Nigerians at the maiden… ...Behold Victoria Ubani, Face of Niger Delta Season 3
Victoria Ubani has emerged the winner of Face of Niger Delta Cultural Beauty Pageant Season… ...I found love in Nigeria -Ella Mensah, Gollywood actress
Emmanuella Gift Mensah, aka, Ella Mensah, is what you could describe as a cross-over-actress because… ...Linda Ikeji bounces back
Celebrity blogger, Linda Ikeji, is back on the blog after google shut down her blog… ...Collective Administration: PMAN sends SOS to President Jonathan, Tambuwal
The Performing Musicians’ Employers’ Association of Nigeria (PMAN), has sent an SOS to President Goodluck… ...
- Forte Oil exceeds forecast with 61.61% rise in profit - Forte Oil reported stronger than expected growth in both profits and sales in the nine months through September 2014, as it continues to improve on efficiency with a view to satisfying customer needs. It would be noted that the downstream giant operational performance had been stellar and impressive since rebounding from the oil subsidy gloom,
- Locally-made Grand arrives dealership - As the Federal Government’s 10-year National Automotive Industrial Development Plan (NAIDP) enters the second year under the automotive policy, Stallion Motors Nigeria Limited said it has started the assembly of Hyundai models inside its VON Assembly plant located along the Lagos-Badagry expressway, Lagos. Last weekend, Stallion Motors presented the four-door Hyundai Grand i10 four-door sedan locally assembled
- Mercedes records best sales in 88-year history - Mercedes-Benz saw last month’s sales as the best in the company’s 88-year history, reaching 162,746 units and a third quarter rise of 11.9 percent. The all-time record was due to a 14 percent increase in monthly sales year-over-year, thanks to rising demand for the company’s smaller, lower-margin models and the latest generation of the S-Class
- CIS may collaborate with NBA, ICAN for professional synergy - There are strong indications that the Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers (CIS) may soon sign a tripartite memorandum of understanding with the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) and Institute of Chartered Accountant of Nigeria (ICAN) to enhance synergy among the three professional bodies. The move, which is expected to crystalise any moment from now, is consistent with
- Truckmasters grabs slice of Hyundai dealership pie - In its quest to expand market presence and reach out to more new car buyers, Hyundai Motors Nigeria Limited (HMNL), a subsidiary of Stallion Automobile group has appointed Lagos-based automobile vending and aftermarket shop. With Truckmasters Nigeria Limited as the newest bride and as one of its provisional dealers at a sign-on ceremony in Lagos, authorities
- GNI Healthcare scales certification hurdle of NHIS - GNI Healthcare Limited, a subsidiary of GNI Insurance Company plc, was among top firms that scaled through the National Health Insurance Scheme’s (NHIS) recertification exercise, promising its enrollees of a better and more qualitative healthcare delivery. The NHIS had in June 2014 engaged the services of PriceWaterhouseCoopers, a firm of accountants and consultants, to re-access
- Delta Airlines forecasts over $4bn revenue by 2014 ending - United States mega carrier, Delta Airlines, which also operates daily flight between Atlanta and Lagos, at the weekend, forecasts high pre-tax revenue in excess of $4 billion by the end of year 2014. This is just as the airlines says it realised $1.6 billion pre-tax income for the month of September quarter. Delta’s September 2014
- WSTC Financial Services envisages slide in naira value - WSTC Financial Services Limited (WSTC), a dealing member of the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), has envisaged a slide in the value of the naira as the 2015 general election approaches. This is following the prevalence of domestic uncertainties, weak economic fundamentals and impending increase in interest rates in the US. Meanwhile, analysts do not expect
- Pally Agro firm innovates to market canned palm fruits extract - The nation’s culinary market received a big boost recently as Pally Agro company announced the introduction of Banga, a canned fresh palm fruits extract, into the market. The new product, the company explains in a statement, has become imperative in order to ease the burden usually associated with preparing palm fruits extract by Nigerians. Anwuli
- NSE, CBI set to launch Corporate Governance Rating System - The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), in collaboration with the Convention for Business Integrity (CBI), is geared to launch the foremost Corporate Governance Rating System (CGRS) in Nigeria. The CGRS launch event scheduled for November 3, 2014, in Lagos, will be attended by corporate sector participants joined by government and civil society delegates from across Nigeria
- Amodu invites Ik Uche, 65 others for Congo, S/Africa Stand-in coach of the Super Eagles, Shuaibu Amodu yesterday in Abuja revealed that he has lined up a legion of 66 players including in-form Villarreal of Spain striker, Ikechukwu Uche for the two remaining matches of the 2015 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifiers against Congo and South Africa. [October 22, 2014]
- NFF hosts Corporate Nigeria to grand ball in Lagos The new Executive Committee of Nigeria Football Federation takes it bonding with partners and potential partners to a new height on Friday when it hosts the crème-de-la-crème of Corporate Nigeria to a grand ball at the Eko Hotel & Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos. The event will start at 5pm. [October 22, 2014]
- Go for goals, .NSA urges Falcons The organizers of Nigerian Sports award, Unmissable Incentives Limited yesterday hailed the Nigerian female national football team- Super Falcons for their impressive performance at the on-going African Women Championship (AWC) in Namibia. [October 22, 2014]
- Play with your hearts, Pinnick charges Falcons NFF President Amaju Pinnick has charged the Senior Women National Team, Super Falcons, to play with all their heart when confronting the Banyana Banyana of South Africa in the semi finals of the 9th African Women Championship in Namibia on Wednesday. [October 22, 2014]
- Bayana must fall – Falcons Super Falcons central defender Onome Ebi has said today’s semi final clash with Bayana Bayana of South Africa is key to their hope of reclaiming the title they lost two years ago in Equatorial Guinea. [October 22, 2014]
- Apu’s new FIBA Zone 3 administrative secretary Basketball writer and columnist of the Sun Publishing Limited, Joseph Apu has been appointed the administrative secretary of the FIBA Africa Zone 3 board which was reconstituted in Burkina Faso yesterday. [October 22, 2014]
- NBL Open Chess Championship ends in Lagos Former National Champions Bomo Kigigha and Labake Coker emerged top from the pool of top players at the just concluded 37th edition of Nigerian Breweries Plc International Chess Championship. [October 22, 2014]
- CAF to inspect Akwa Ibom Stadium for Eagles, Bafana cracker The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has agreed to send its officials to inspect the brand –new Akwa Ibom International Stadium, Uyo, which is being put forward by Nigeria as venue for next month’s 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier between the Super Eagles and Bafana Bafana of South Africa. [October 22, 2014]
- Bayern in seventh heaven after Roma massacre Five-time European champions Bayern Munich took a huge step towards qualification for the last 16 of the Champions League with a remarkable 7-1 rout of Roma at a stunned Stadio Olimpico on Tuesday. [October 21, 2014]
- Drogba on target in Chelsea rout of Maribor Didier Drogba scored his first goal since returning to Chelsea as Jose Mourinho’s side took control of Champions League Group G with a crushing 6-0 victory over Maribor at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday. [October 21, 2014]
- AWC: Cash crunch hits Falcons The Super Falcons have not been paid their winning bonuses and allowances since their victory over hosts, Namibia, but the Nigerian women have refused to be distracted, because they are looking at the bigger picture of reaching the final and winning the trophy. [October 21, 2014]
- Falcons are superior – Bayana Bayana coach Banyana Banyana’s coach Vera Pauw has acknowledged that Nigeria’s Super Falcons have the advantage as they clash in today’s semi-final match of the 9th African Women Championship. [October 21, 2014]
- Don’t lower your guards until you get World Cup ticket, AWC trophy, Danagogo charges Falcons Sports Minister Tammy Danagogo has urged the Super Falcons not to lower their guards until they have won the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup ticket and African Women Championship (AWC). [October 21, 2014]
- UCL Preview: Di Matteo leads ‘revived’ Schalke, Chelsea target first home win Roberto di Matteo, who won the Champions League with Chelsea as coach in 2012, leads his new club Schalke in the competition for the first time. The Italian got off to a winning start with the Gelsenkirchen side, leading them to a 2-0 win over Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga on Saturday. And now they could desperately do with another victory after drawing their opening two matches in Group G. [October 21, 2014]
- Champions League: Barcelona seek redemption, PSG to consolidate French champions PSG have yet to lose in this campaign despite rarely performing anywhere near their free-flowing best from last season. However, they were outstanding in defeating Barcelona 3-2 three weeks ago and are fresh from a 3-1 win against Lens in Ligue 1 on Friday. [October 21, 2014]
- Man City to punish Ahmed Musa’s CSKA Moscow, Roma dare Guardiola’s Bayern After taking just one point from their opening two matches, Premier League champions City go to Russia to face CSKA still looking for their first win. [October 21, 2014]
- UCL Preview: Shakhtar, Porto, Bilbao in must win This encounter at the Borisov Arena is likely to be pivotal to both teams’ chances of progressing from Group H, with BATE second on three points from two games and Shakhtar a point behind. BATE, who have won eight consecutive Belarusian titles, are unbeaten at their recently-opened new stadium. Indeed, they have not lost at home in more than a year. [October 21, 2014]
- Pistorius sentenced to five years jail for killing girlfriend South African Paralympian star sprinter Oscar Pistorius was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday for the killing of his girlfriend last year, as his sensational trial reached a climax. [October 21, 2014]
- Ethiopia FA denies Keshi Disengaged Super Eagles coach Stephen Keshi’s reported move to Ethiopia may have hit the rocks as the Ethiopian Football Association has denied ever getting any application from him. [October 21, 2014]
- Chevron Tennis Clinic ends in style The 2014 Chevron Tennis Clinic came to a stylish end weekend at the Lagos Lawn Tennis Club, with no fewer than 100 players basking in the euphoria of participating in the foremost developmental programme in the country. [October 21, 2014]
- Don’t expect miracles from me – Amodu The newly appointed coach of the Super Eagles Amodu Shaibu has asked Nigerians to be moderate in their expectations of the team even as he promised to give his best in salvaging Nigeria’s hopes of participating at next year’s Africa Cup of Nations. [October 21, 2014]
- NFF sends elite referees to England The Nigeria Football Federation has concluded all arrangements to send the best of Nigerian referees to the United Kingdom for a special refresher course beginning in the first week of December. [October 21, 2014]
- Mbatha: Bafana will beat Eagles Mamelodi Sun-downs midfielder Lindokuhle Mbatha is confident that Bafana Bafana will qualify for the Africa Cup of Nations next year. [October 20, 2014]
- Samuel: Expect more against Congo, South Africa Super Eagles midfielder, Aaron Samuel has told fans to expect a bumper performance from him in next month’’s crunch 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Congo and South Africa. [October 20, 2014]
- Adelakun: Eagles don’t need a foreign coach Renowned Nige-rian football administrator Ayotunde Adelakun says that a foreign coach is not what the Super Eagles need. [October 20, 2014]
- Renovation of National Stadium Boxing Gym ready soon, says Luke The Secretary of the Nigeria Boxing Federation, Olusola Luke, said on Monday that the ongoing renovation at the boxing gym of the National Stadium, Lagos would be completed soon. [October 20, 2014]
- Neymar relishing partnership with Messi, Suarez Barcelona forward Neymar is looking forward to welcoming Luis Suarez into his and Lionel Messi’s star-studded strike partnership when the Uruguayan returns from a four-month ban this weekend [October 20, 2014]
- Mourinho furious with Spain after Costa breaks down Jose Mourinho has criticised the treatment of some of his Chelsea players on international duty after the manager revealed Diego Costa will miss Tuesday’s Champions League clash with Maribor. [October 20, 2014]
- South Africa rejects hosting Africa Nations Cup South Africa is not ready to host the Africa Cup of Nations in January if Morocco withdraws because of the Ebola epidemic, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula said Monday. [October 20, 2014]
- Why we prefer a foreign coach – Pinnick The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) President, Amaju Pinnick has explained why his Board prefers a foreign coach to replace the last indigenous coach, Stephen Keshi who was relieved of his assignment last week by the federation. [October 20, 2014]
- World Weightlifting Championship: Nigeria enters 14 lifters Nigeria is to make a strong presence at the World Weightlifting Championship which comes up early next month in the city of Almaty, Kazakhstan. [October 20, 2014]
- Uche, Martins, Iheanacho set for Eagles return Chinedu Obasi, Haruna Lukman, Kelechi Iheanacho, Obafemi Martins and Ikechukwu Uche are set to be invited for the Super Eagles’ last qualifying matches for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations against Congo and South Africa. [October 20, 2014]