- Female suicide bomber blown up in kano •5 die as explosion rocks Catholic church
- Buhari’s death would have caused upheaval —Jonathan •APC demands international probe
- Ebola: US doctor contracts disease in Liberia •Nigeria steps up surveillance
- Eid-el-fitri: Sambo, govs, Sultan, others felicitate with Muslims
- New number plate: No deadline for enforcement —FRSC
- We won’t surrender to terrorists •Jonathan tells Nigerians at Sallah •Mark, Atiku, others greet Muslims •IGP places policemen on red alert
- Suicide bombers can’t make heaven, Sultan tells Boko Haram
- Attack on Buhari: FG, PDP responsible —Aregbesola’s campaign DG •Look among yourselves for his attackers —PDP
- OSUN DECIDES: ‘Opon Imo’ controversy •Why we used police to retrieve device from students —Govt •We are vindicated —PDP
- Boko Haram sends foreign aids, businesses packing in Northern Cameroon
- Buhari’s bomber dressed like woman, nabbed •Police IG probes attack
- Panic as Ebola victim dies in Lagos •Govt collects flight manifest to screen co-passengers, •Monitors borders, airports, seaports
- Boko Haram: FG throws security cordon around former leaders
- Impeachment: Nasarawa CJ inaugurates 7-man panel
- Workers’ salary: Osun PDP thanks Rivers, Lagos, others for bailing out Aregbesola
- 20 doctors defy strike for Kaduna blast victims •Calm returns as govt lifts 24-hr curfew
- Nigeria death shows Ebola can spread by air travel ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigerian health authorities raced to stop the spread of Ebola on Saturday after a man sick with one of the world's deadliest diseases brought it by plane to Lagos, Africa's largest city with 21 million people.
- Nigeria Shi'ite leader says military kills 3 sons, 30 supporters The leader of Nigeria's minority Shi'ite Muslims accused the military on Saturday of killing three of his sons and 30 of his supporters when they opened fire on a protest the previous day. The Shi'ites were protesting Israeli attacks on Gaza and also marching to observe of a religious holiday, in the northern city of Zaria, where Ibrahim Zakzaky's Islamic Movement of Nigeria is based, when a ...
- Five dead in bombing of church in north Nigeria's Kano Nigeria's northern city of Kano on Sunday cancelled celebrations to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan after two bomb attacks blamed on the Islamist group Boko Haram. At least five people were killed and eight were injured in a bomb attack on a Catholic church in a mainly Christian area of the city, the largest in Nigeria's north, police said. "We suspect an IED (improvised ...
- Nigeria death raises fears of Ebola spread by air travel Nigerian health authorities raced to stop the spread of Ebola on Saturday after a man sick with one of the world's deadliest diseases brought it by plane to Lagos, Africa's largest city with 21 million people.
- Nigeria on red alert after first Ebola death Nigeria was on alert against the possible spread of Ebola on Saturday, a day after the first confirmed death from the virus in Lagos, Africa's biggest city and the country's financial capital. The health ministry said Friday that a 40-year-old Liberian man died at a private hospital in Lagos from the disease, which has now killed more than 650 people in four west African countries since January ...
- Source: At least 5 killed in Nigeria suicide blast A suicide bomber in Nigeria killed at least five people on Sunday in an attack on a church in the city of Kano, a local resident told CNN. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
- Nigeria arrests 1 connected to Kaduna bombings ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Nigerian security forces are holding one man connected to the Wednesday double bombings in the northern city of Kaduna that targeted a former head of state and a prominent moderate Muslim cleric and killed at least 44 bystanders, according to a defense ministry statement on Friday.
- Nigeria monitors borders over Ebola death Crackdown comes as Liberian authorities search for woman whose family removed her from hospital following diagnosis.
- Nigeria government confirms Ebola case in megacity of Lagos By Felix Onuah and Tom Miles ABUJA/GENEVA (Reuters) - A Liberian man who died in Nigeria's commercial capital Lagos on Friday tested positive for the deadly Ebola virus, Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said. Patrick Sawyer, a consultant for the Liberian finance ministry in his 40s, collapsed on Sunday after flying into Lagos, a city of 21 million people, and was taken from the airport and put ...
- Nigeria confirms Liberian man died of Ebola in Lagos Nigeria said Friday that Ebola caused the death of a Liberian national who died in quarantine in Lagos, confirmation that the worst-ever outbreak of the virus has reached Africa's most populous country. Nigeria's Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu told journalists that "thorough medical tests" had confirmed "the virus of Ebola" as the cause of death. The 40-year-old, who died overnight, worked for ...
- American Doctor Contracts Ebola [VOA]An American doctor working with Ebola patients in Liberia has tested positive for the deadly virus.
- Boko Haram Abducts Wife of Cameroun Deputy PM [Leadership]Suspected Boko Haram terrorists yesterday kidnapped the wife of a senior Cameroonian minister and a traditional leader in attacks in the far north of the country that left at least six dead.
- Beyond Africa Rising - What Future for the 'Last Frontier'? [allAfrica]London -Public Lecture at the London School of Economics by Dr. Kingsley Chiedu Moghalu, Deputy Governor (Financial System Stability), Central Bank of Nigeria and Author, Emerging Africa: How the Global Economy’s ‘Last Frontier’ Can Prosper and Matter (Penguin Books, 2014)
- Govt Orders Liberians to be Screened for Ebola [This Day]In a red alert, Department of Port Health begins detailed checks on passengers from West and Central Africa
- Eid-El-Fitri - Military Bans Vehicular Movement in Maiduguri for 3 Days [This Day]Maiduguri/Abuja -Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Niger raise joint force against terrorism
- Northern Nigeria - Looking Back On the Year 2000 Attacks [RNW Africa]Oyo -Did you attend school fearing for your life? Did you have a neighbour who wished he had killed you when he had the chance? As members of an ethnic and religious minority, Joke Adetunji and her family were forced to leave their home in northern Nigeria 15 years ago, when the Christians like herself suffered from attacks by Muslims.
- The Weird World of Bombs and Tombs [This Day]"A dream-team is an assembly of humane and urbane beings, who uphold in the highest esteem a moral sanctity and fundamental necessity that allows man to live as individual within the community of others without molestation, harassment or threat of extermination." - Anonymous
- WHO Confirms Liberian Died of Ebola in Nigeria [Deutsche Welle]A man has died of Ebola under quarantine in Nigeria. Before Friday, the virus had killed more than 660 people in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone since the first diagnosis in February.
- Payment of Allowances to Team Nigeria Athletes Guaranteed [Vanguard]The Minister of Sport, Tammy Danagogo, has directed the immediate payment of competition allowances of Team Nigeria athletes at the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Scotland.
- Happy Eid El-Fitri [Vanguard]THE Ramadan has ended. Its demands of abstinence from food and water are some of the easily remembered aspects of the month-long observation, which is one of the five pillars of Islam.
- For Failing to Bribe Policeman With N200 I Was Sentenced to Death [Vanguard]A shaft of pain knifed through his facial contours as he recounted the grisly experiences he had in prison for more than 23 years.
- Boko Haram - Maiduguri Residents Remain Indoor During Sallah [This Day]There is increased security alert in Maiduguri, the birthplace of Boko Haram with heavy security checkpoints in the troubled town as the military and security agencies take precaution to ward off anticipated attack on the town by the terrorist group during the El-Eid-Fitri celebration.
- 2face Changes Name to 'Tu-Baba' [Vanguard]Pop singer, Innocent Idibia has finally dropped his stage name, 2face, saying that after ascending with the release of his sixth album, he has decided to change his name to Tu-baba.
- Nigeria On Alert Following Ebola Death [VOA]Nigeria has stepped up surveillance at its ports and borders, following the country's first confirmed death from the Ebola virus.
- Ebola - Arik Suspends Fights to Liberia, Sierra Leone [Daily Trust]Lagos -Arik Air yesterday announced it has suspended flights to the Liberian capital Monrovia and Freetown in Sierra Leone because of concerns over the deadly Ebola virus.
- Ebola - Arik Air Suspends Flights to Liberia, Sierra Leone [Vanguard]Lagos--Arik Air yesterday said it had suspended flight operations to Liberia and Sierra Leone following the death last week, of a Liberian, Mr. Patrick Sawyer, of the dreaded Ebola disease, even as it advised that all inbound flights into Nigeria from any of the Ebola affected countries be immediately suspended by the Federal Government.
- Female Suicide Bomber, Five Others Killed in Kano [Vanguard]KANO--Ancient city of Kano witnessed fresh bomb attacks, yesterday, as twin explosions targeted at worshippers at Saint Charles Catholic Church, Sabon Gari, and a police check point in Kano killed six persons. The dead included a soldier, two women, a man, a child and a female suicide bomber.
- Panic As Ebola Patient Dies in Lagos [Independent]Abuja -A man identified as Mr. Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian, who came into Lagos aboard a flight from Monrovia via Lome on Sunday, July 20, 2014, at about 4p.m, who was being treated in a hospital at Obalende, Lagos, for the deadly Ebola virus, is dead.
- Votas Tasks Jonathan On Growing Insurgency [Independent]The Nigeria Voters' Assembly (VOTAS) has condemned what it described as the unfortunate and unjustifiable assassination attempt on the life of Mohammed Buhari.
- Lawyer Berates Adamawa Legislators Over Delay in Informing INEC of Impeachment [Vanguard]Yola-based lawyer, Mr Sunday Wugira, has threatened to drag Adamawa House of Assembly to court for failing to inform Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of the removal of Murtala Nyako as Governor of the State.
- FRSC's Planned Enforcement of New Drivers' Licence, Number Plates Illegal - Lawyers [Vanguard]Some lawyers in Abuja on Friday said that the plan by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) to begin enforcement of the new drivers' licence and number plates on Aug. 1, was illegal.
- Ebola - Lagos Cremates Victim's Body [Independent]Lagos State government on Saturday cremated the corpse of the 40 year old Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, who was confirmed to be carrying the Ebola virus on arrival from Monrovia, Liberia, last Sunday.
- Calamity Would Have Befallen Nigeria If Buhari, Bauchi Were Killed, Says Jonathan [Vanguard]President Goodluck Jonathan said calamity would have befallen Nigeria if former Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari and Islamic scholar, Sheik Dahiru Bauchi, were killed in the July 23 bomb attacks in Kaduna.
- Gov. Orji Commiserates With Victims of Gen Set Fumes Tragedy [Vanguard]ABIA State governor, Chief Theodore Orji, has sympathised with members of the Young Peoples Christian Fellowship involved in generator fumes incident which left a six-year-old boy dead.
- Tuc Tasks Jonathan On Billion-Dollar Security Loan [Independent]Rivers state branch of the trade union congress, TUC, has expressed concern over the huge one billion dollar loan requested by President Goodluck Jonathan to tackle the upsurge of terrorism in the country.
- Saraki, Ashafa, Ihedioha Preach Love [Guardian]TWO senators and Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives have urged Nigerians to use the occasion of the Eid el Fitri festival to embrace love and unity. Senator Bukola Saraki said that Nigeria's unity cannot be negotiated irrespective of its present precarious conditions.
- Sultan, PFN Task Leaders on Justice, Fear of God [Guardian]The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs, Alhaji Mohammed Sa'ad Abubakar 111 has urged leaders in the country to ensure social justice and the fear of God.
- Lagos On Security Alert Over Plans to Hit Suburbs [Independent]Lagos -Security surveillance in major settlements in Lagos have been heightened by the Nigerian Police and other support agencies, as it has emerged that unknown persons are planning to capitalise on the recent terrorists events in the country to launch attacks on the areas.
- Rich and Famous - Behold Basket Mouth the Comic Lord [Vanguard]Bright Okpocha aka Basketmouth is one of the biggest exporter of comedy in Nigeria today, making millions of naira wherever he goes through his shows and business deals. Basketmouth didn't plan to become a comedian, but a rap artiste.
- Taekwondo Federation Organises Training for Coaches, Instructors [Guardian]IN a bid to standardize the training and teaching methodology of taekwondo in Nigeria, the Nigeria Taekwondo Federation (NTF) is organising a four-day course cum examinations for coaches and instructors.
- Soldiers kill two suspected robbers in Edo TWO suspected armed robbers identified as Onimisi Adewunmi (a.k.a. Ojukwu) and Timothy Balogun [Monday, 28 July 2014 04:06]
- Era of criminality in NDelta is over, says minister THE Minister of Niger Delta, Dr. Steve Oru, has said that the era when youths in the region saw [Monday, 28 July 2014 04:04]
- New pro-Jonathan group floods Imo with Presidents posters AS political activities gather momentum in various parts of the country for 2015 polls, a new [Monday, 28 July 2014 04:01]
- Jonathan urges religious leaders to promote peace, unity PRESIDENT Goodluck Jonathan Sunday appealed to religious leaders to preach peace, love and unity, [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:25]
- APC faults moves to probe Buharis attempted assassination • Seeks international investigation SEQUEL to claims that the bomb blast in Kaduna last week [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:21]
- Govs, others urge prayers for peace, stability • Shettima commiserates with 9, 000 displaced persons AGAINST the backdrop of challenging security [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:48]
- Sultan, PFN task leaders on justice, fear of God • Emir of Kano cancels Durbar over insecurity The Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:45]
- PDP urges Nigerians to rekindle spirit of oneness AS Muslim faithful mark the end of Ramadan, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has charged [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:43]
- Saraki, Ashafa, Ihedioha preach love TWO senators and Deputy Speaker, House of Representatives have urged Nigerians to use the occasion [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:41]
- Minister sues for unity MINISTER of Police Affairs, Abdul Jelili Adesiyan, has urged Nigerians, especially the Muslims to [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:40]
- Presidential committee on land reform introduces new titling regime AS part of its mandate to explore a new frontier of socio-economic growth for the citizens through [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:21]
- Ijaw leaders pay tributes to Isaac Boros surviving compatriot, Owonaro, at 70 IJAW leaders at the weekend in Kaiama, headquarters of Kolokuma/Opokuma Local Council Area of [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:20]
- Why voters should reject APC, PDP on August 9, by Akinwusi Says two leading parties have demonised democracy THE governorship candidate of the Social [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:18]
- Osun berates SSS over clampdown on research outfit THE Osun State government has criticised the State Security Service (SSS) over alleged invasion of [Sunday, 27 July 2014 20:16]
- Nigerias GDP to hit $1.6 trillion by 2030, says report •Trade, agric, manufacturing to drive growth SHOULD Nigeria reach its full potential, its yearly [Sunday, 27 July 2014 17:35]
- Group seeks harmonisation of fiscal, monetary policies AN effective coordination of the fiscal and monetary authorities that would enthrone harmony in [Sunday, 27 July 2014 17:33]
- UBA posts N138 b gross earnings, N29b half year profit UNITED Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc has posted gross earnings of N138 billion in its six months [Sunday, 27 July 2014 17:24]
- Diamond Bank donates office block to Nigerian army DIAMOND Bank Plc has donated a 10-room, fully furnished, office block to the Nigerian Army, as [Sunday, 27 July 2014 17:10]
- Benefits of tax participation, compliance, by Fowler FOR Lagos State to become a destination hub in the next 20 years, there is need for greater tax [Sunday, 27 July 2014 17:08]
- Accion Microfinance, Frankfurt business school partner on capacity building ACCION Microfinance Bank has partnered with the Frankfurt School of Finance and Management- [Sunday, 27 July 2014 17:07]
- Keystone Bank returns to profitability, grows assets THE Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Keystone Bank Limited, Philip Ikeazor, said [Sunday, 27 July 2014 17:05]
- Fake Phones: SON And The Big Crack In Computer Village ABOUT three years ago, smart phone was a luxury only a small segment of the Nigerian community [Saturday, 26 July 2014 16:58]
- NBET, NSIA seal pact on $350 million Eurobond facility management THE Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Plc (NBET) and the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority [Thursday, 24 July 2014 19:54]
- ISSAN decries absence of law to curb cybercrime AMIDST reports that the banking industry incurred a huge loss of about N159 billion through cyber [Thursday, 24 July 2014 19:53]
- Data protection, key to attaining knowledge-based economy DATA protection has been described as very crucial to Nigeria’s quest of attaining a [Thursday, 24 July 2014 19:51]
- Okagbare returns fastest time in 100m, Abugun, George, Omotosho also qualify for semifinals NIGERIA’S sprint queen, Blessing Okagbare, Sunday returned the fastest time in the women’ 100 [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:56]
- Brazil budgets $600m for 30 medals at Rio 2016 Olympics WHILE Nigeria is yet to start planning for the 2016 Olympic Games billed for Rio de Janeiro, [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:54]
- Alleged signature forgery: You are lying, NFF board members tell Kawu MEMBERS of the executive board of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have threatened to drag [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:52]
- Nigeria loses to Singapore, competes for bronze medal in table tennis DESPITE putting up spirited efforts against defending champion, Singapore, in the semifinal tie of [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:51]
- Taekwondo federation organises training for coaches, instructors • Korean Ambassador’s Cup holds Sept. IN a bid to standardize the training and teaching [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:50]
- 160 youngsters set for ARS national finals at Yabatech ONE hundred and sixty players, made up of five zonal male and female teams, will be vying for [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:48]
- Kalu recommends Emenalo, Okpala to assist Keshi FORMER Abia State Govenor, Orji Uzor Kalu, has urged the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:46]
- Angel Di Maria begs Manchester United for move ANGEL Di Maria has sent an SOS half way across the world to Manchester United’s USA camp pleading: [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:45]
- Guardiola has job for life, says Rummenigge PEP Guardiola has been told he has a job for life at Bayern Munich by chairman, Karl-Heinz [Sunday, 27 July 2014 21:44]
- Okagbare Carries Nigerias Hope As Athletics Begin ALL eyes will be on Nigeria’s queen of the track, Blessing Okagbare, who will lead other athletes [Saturday, 26 July 2014 20:40]
- Amalaha Strikes First Gold For Team Nigeria In Glasgow •‘Athletes Will Get Allowance After Games’ IT was celebration time in Team Nigeria camp [Friday, 25 July 2014 21:30]
- Amuneke Upbeat, As Eaglets Confront Congo DR Saturday NIGERIA’S national Under-17 team, the Golden Eaglets, will go for nothing but victory when they [Friday, 25 July 2014 21:26]
- LMC Launches CSR Campaign, Clears Seven More Clubs A PUBLIC service initiative in support of the Federal Government’s UNAIDS, UNFPA, the National [Friday, 25 July 2014 21:24]
News 38 killed in Libya clashes At least 38 people have been killed in clashes between troops loyal to the Libyan government and Islamist fighters in the city of Benghazi, officials say. The militants attacked troops in the centre of the city, in eastern Libya. A week of fighting in the capital Tripoli, near the airport, has left 97 people dead
MH17 downing may be war crime – UN The downing of Malaysia Airlines jet MH17 in eastern Ukraine may constitute a “war crime”, the UN human rights chief Navi Pillay says. Ukraine and Western governments believe pro-Russian rebels shot down MH17, using a missile system supplied by Russia. All 298 people on board – most of them Dutch – died. Moscow and the
South Korea ferry: Students ‘floated from cabins’ Students who survived South Korea’s ferry disaster have described escaping from flooded cabins as the ship sank. The students had obeyed the crew’s orders to stay put, even as water started coming in as the Sewol listed. Students floated up to cabin doors – by now overhead – and were pulled out by their classmates
Two California wildfires destroy 10 homes Two fast-moving wildfires in California have destroyed 10 homes and have forced the evacuation of hundreds more, US officials say. In the Sacramento region, a fire has spread to cover an area of about 4,000 acres, while another blaze threatens homes around Yosemite National Park. The Sacramento fire is around 35 per cent contained, officials told local
Gaza crisis: UN calls for immediate ceasefire The UN Security Council has called for an “immediate and unconditional humanitarian ceasefire” in Gaza. An emergency session backed a statement calling for a truce over the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr “and beyond”. Both the Palestinian and Israeli envoys to the UN criticised the statement, for different reasons. Gaza had its quietest night in
No PIB, no re-election, group warns NAssembly members A civil society group, the Environmental Rights Action/Friends of the Earth Nigeria, has warned members of the National Assembly not to contemplate re-election in 2015, if they fail to pass the Petroleum Industry Bill into law. The Executive Director of the group, Dr. Godwin Uyi Ojo, issued this warning on Saturday, shortly after a public
Ill lead struggle to liberate Kwara – Minister Minister of National Planning, Dr. Olanrewaju Sulaiman, has said he would lead the struggle to liberate Kwara State from the grip of a former governor, Bukola Saraki. Sulaiman made the statement in Abuja, on Saturday evening, at a prayer/reception held for him in the Utako area of Abuja by Kwara State indigenes who were members
Fashola says cooperation needed to solve Nigerias challenges Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola, has urged Nigerians to cooperate and find a lasting solution to the challenges confronting the country, saying only the citizens could take the country out of the doldrums. Fashola, in a Sallah message, said it was only by embracing peace, unity and fairness, that Nigerians could put the country back
Relocation threats: Caution ACF, Igbo group tells FG Igbo World Union has called on the Federal Government and the various security agencies not to treat with levity the recent threats and inciting remarks by the Arewa Consultative Forum and the Arewa Youth Development Foundation against the interest of southerners living in the North. The National President of IWU, Chief Mishak Nnanta, in an
We wont enforce number plate law in August —FRSC The Federal Road Safety Corps has backtracked on its plan to clampdown on vehicle owners who have not procured its new number plate and drivers licence by August 1. The agency said it had not fixed a deadline for a nationwide enforcement of the new number plate for vehicles and driving licence. It, therefore, cautioned
Soldiers, police beef up security in FCT Soldiers and policemen were fully deployed to beef up security in the Federal Capital Territory between Saturday and Sunday for the sallah celebrations, as part of measures to thwart terror attacks in Abuja. The security personnel who were seen on duty at strategic parts of the FCT, also engaged in stop and search of vehicles
JTF winning war against oil theft, illegal refining The Commander, Joint Military Task Force in the Niger Delta, Operation Pulo Shield, Maj. Gen. Emmanuel Atewe, says the outfit, despite the resilience of oil criminals, is winning the war against oil theft, illegal refining and related crimes. Atewe said this on Saturday when the Nigerian Army Officers Wives Association, led by its National President,
- SureSwipe Move receives P2PE certification SureSwipe has launched SureSwipe Move – the first Mobile Point of Sale (MPOS) solution in South Africa, according to the company, to achieve Point-to-Point Encryption (P2PE) certification from the PCI Security Standards Council. According to the company, this means that SureSwipe Move’s devices, applications and processes comply with the Standards...
- Airtel launches Celebrity Connect Airtel Nigeria and Kirusa have announced the launch of Celebrity Connect, a mobile service that attempts to connect Nigerians with celebrities and famous personalities. According to the company, the service enables fans to reach out and connect with their...
- Nigeria: Security forces nab $6 million Facebook fraudster Nigerian security forces have allegedly arrested a suspected internet fraudster. The fraudster has been accused of stealing $6 million from people who thought were paying fees to apply for government jobs. This is according to dailymail.co.uk. According to...
- Nigeria embracing e-commerce The Terragon Group Research Report released for the second quarter of 2014, has revealed growth in the state of digital media and users’ online behaviour in Nigeria over the past twelve months. The report, which was compiled after a recent survey from a...
- IT News Africa: top stories of the week The week has come to an end; however, it almost the end of the month. Yip, that’s right in a few days we will be heading into the month of August 2014. This week in tech, we saw Telkom suspending its attempt to cut a multitude of jobs at the company....
- MTN South Africa extends on WOW promotion MTN South Africa launched its WOW promotion on 21 June 2014, targeting MTN customers who spend R6 airtime and get R60 FREE airtime back. Now MTN has increased its reward. Starting today 25 July, MTN customers will get R120 FREE airtime when they spend R6 of...
- Cell C to ask bondholders for debt extension South African mobile operator Cell C said that it would extend the maturity date of Euro 160 million of senior debt. As a part of the transaction, Cell C has offered to buy back debt from any bond holder who does not wish to extend. The expected extension is...
- Etisalat Egypt selects Ericsson to boost CE in Egypt Etisalat Egypt has chosen to continue their partnership with Ericsson by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) at Ericsson’s headquarters in Sweden. The renewed collaboration is intended to strengthen the existing partnership in mobile broadband...
- Vodafone Egypt investing $1.3bn on network upgrade Vodafone Egypt is expected to invest a figure of LE9.5 billion ($1.3 billion) in order to improve its network. According to the recently appointed Chief Executive, Ahmed Essam: “The investment shall be financed from an existing fund of Vodafone Egypt,...
- Kenya leads in requesting users’ data from Google in Africa According to a report by allafrica.com, a number of African governments are keeping a watch on the online activities of their citizens with Kenya topping Africa in requesting users’ data from Google. According to the site, outside Africa, governments...
- APC laments neglect of coal sector The All Progressives Congress, APC, in the South-East has berated the Peoples Democratic Party, PDPled government for abandoning the coal sector that would have been an alternative source of revenue… ...
- Abia PPA zones governorship to Ukwa/Ngwa The Abia State chapter of the Progressive Peoples’ Alliance, PPA, has said that it has zoned its 2015 gubernatorial ticket to the Ukwa/Ngwa political bloc. It said the post has… ...
- PDP leaders feeding fat on treasury —Okorocha Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, has accused the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, leaders in the state of tinkering with state treasury over the past 12 years. He spoke while inaugurating… ...
- FCF, NASFAT, others call for prayers, return of Chibok girls As Muslims all over the world mark the end of the Ramadan fast, NASFAT President, Alhaji Sheriff Yussuf, has advised Muslims to sustain the gains and closeness to Allah which… ...
- Shettima sympathises with insurgency victims Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State, yesterday sympathised with displaced victims of Damboa, Marte, Konduga, Biu, Bama and other council areas who have been sacked from their communities by the… ...
- Air surveillance intensified in Kaduna …Katsina celebrates amidst tight security The Kaduna State Police Command yesterday mounted air surveillance to monitor the security situation in the city and its environs, to checkmate terrorist attacks during… ...
- Corporate existence non-negotiable –Northern govs Northern States Governors’ Forum, NSGF, has urged Nigerians to work towards the continuous existence of Nigeria, saying the nation’s corporate existence is not negotiable. The chairman of the forum and… ...
- Ilorin defies Sultan’s directive The directive by the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, as the leader of Muslims in the country, that Eid-el-Fitri be celebrated, was not heeded in Ilorin, Kwara State, yesterday.… ...
- Club fetes physically challenged As part of the activities to mark the end of the Ramadan fasting, Omo Ajorosun Club of Ibadan yesterday feted 500 physically challenged persons in Oyo State. Those feted, who… ...
- Ogun LP chairman resigns over threats to life Following incessant harassment, intimidation and threat to his life, the chairman of Ogun State Labour Party, Comrade Olabode Simeon, has resigned his office. Simeon, in his letter of resignation, which… ...
2015: South-East interested in APC presidential ticket – Muoghalu
…Warns against attempt to manipulate Osun guber polls As the battle for the presidential ticket… ...Boko Haram: We must rise to confront this evil –Bakare
The vice presidential candidate of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change(CPC) in the 2011 general… ...Akpabio tasks Akwa Ibom professionals
Akwa Ibom professionals based outside the state have been enjoined to take a critical look… ...National confab falters
•Again, extends resumption date by one week Contrary to the earlier scheduled August 4 resumption,… ...Presidency had no hand in Nyako’s impeachment
Former governor of Adamawa State and incumbent Minister of Youth Development, Mr. Boni Haruna, has… ...National conference is Jonathan’s biggest legacy –Chief Nwosu-Iheme
Chief Uzoma Nwosu-Iheme is one of the delegates to the ongoing national conference, representing Imo… ...‘Weak institutions defeat our democracy’
Continued from last week What we call judicial precedence to guide anybody who comes in.… ...Osun 2014: Don’t link me to false reports about Omisore –Fayose
Ekiti State governor-elect, Mr Peter Ayo Fayose has debunked rumours making the rounds on social… ...Those opposed to ID cards for Northerners in S’East have hidden agenda –Akubueze
Foremost Igbo leader in Lagos and Founder Southeast, Southsouth United Assembly, Chief Oliver Akubueze has… ...Impeachment : The sins of Enugu deputy governor
The impeachment notice served on the Enugu State Deputy Governor Mr. Sunday Onyebuchi might have… ...I wasn’t offered MD of NDDC position –Umana
Former secretary to Akwa Ibom State Government, Obong Umana Umana has refuted the allegation that… ...Shekau’ll soon be arrested, predicts church leader
…Warns of imminent plane crash General Overseer of God of Champion Royal Assembly, Brother Joshua… ...Ebola virus: Arik Air halts flight operations into Liberia, Sierra Leone
Indigenous carrier, Arik Air, yesterday announced the suspension of flight operations into Monrovia in Liberia… ...4 die in Ebonyi boat mishap
No fewer than four women drowned in a river following a boat mishap in Afikpo… ...How I was kidnapped, tortured, by Ebonyi lawmaker
The impeachment saga, rocking the Ebonyi State House of Assembly took a disturbing dimension on… ...Police arrest Civil Defence operative over arms deal
The police have arrested Idris Saidu, an operative of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence… ...Bomb blast: NMA suspends strike in Kano hospital
■ As cholera epidemic breaks out in 11 LGs Kano State chapter of the Nigeria… ...Eid-el-Fitri: Jonathan, Mark, Fayemi urge collective action against Boko Haram
President Goodluck Jonathan has urged Nigerians not to succumb to Boko Haram, whose aim is… ...Again, Obiano floors Ngige, others
■ Court of Appeal affirms his electionAfrica The Court of Appeal sitting in Enugu yesterday… ...Married man attempts suicide over girlfriend
Tragedy was averted Friday morning at Bay Bridge road, Yenagoa, when a 40-year-old man, Ediekan,… ...ICT’s contribution to Nigeria’s GDP ’ll hit $50bn by 2019 – Okere, CWG boss
Nigeria’s Information and Communication Technology sector’s contribution to the annual GDP will shoot up to… ...BVN: Poor awareness, logistics blight implementation exercise
Two months after commercial banks in Lagos were expected to begin collating customers’ biometrics in… ...Beware of banana pills: Aviation stakeholders warn Chidoka
Nigeria’s aviation industry stakeholders have demanded that newly appointed Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, should… ...Arik Air commences direct flight to Dubai
Trade, diplomatic and tourism ties between Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is getting… ...NAPIMS approves Mobil’s N6bn CSR projects
Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited (MPN), operator of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)/MPN Joint Venture… ...I made my first million importing milk –Joan Okorodudu
She is a fashion designer, ex-beauty queen, cosmetologist, former athlete and psychiatrist. She has contributed… ...‘With my cake business, I care less about my certificate’
When Olawunmi Animashaun rounded off her programme at Geography and Planning Department of the University… ...Online transactions to hit N168b by 4th Qtr
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) Director for Public Affairs , Mr. Tony Ojobo has disclosed… ...FG to probe 248 abandoned containers of power equipment
Eleven years after 248 container loads of various categories of power transmission equipment were abandoned by the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) at various seaports across the country, ...Jonathan to start disbursement of N220bn to MSMEs in August
President Goodluck Jonathan will next month kick off the disbursement of N220 billion Micro, Small Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) to the 36 states of the federation. The fund, which was launched last year is expected to create jobs, ...UK-born singer, Ify set to storm Nigeria
After years of sojourn abroad, UK-born Nigerian singer, Ify Uwauche, is set to storm the… ...AFRIFF appoints Xolile Tshabalala ambassador
Africa International Film Festival (AFRIFF) has appointed Xolile Tshabalala, as its goodwill ambassador for the… ...BON unveils nominees’ list
Nominations for the 2014 Best of Nollywood Awards would be announced Friday, August 1, at an… ...Feyinkemi Ayomipo gets NMS’s star prize
Winner of Next Movie Star 2013, Akinwale Oluwafeyisekemi Ayomiposi, has been presented with the grand… ...I’m married to my music–Olawale Ojo, Project Fame winner
Olawale Ojo, MTN Project Fame winner, 2013, a final year student of Agronomy at LAUTECH,… ...RMD, Aluwe, others Go Ahead with Glo
Top Nigerian artistes will feature in a new campaign tagged: Go Ahead, an initiative of telecoms giant,… ...Express Star Awards holds today
The third anniversary & Awards Nite of Entertainment Express and Sunday Express will hold today, Sunday, July 27, at Niteshift Coliseum, Opebi,… ...Ozzy Bosco is LAWMA ambassador
Music prodigy, Oziomachukwu Favour Mojekwu aka Ozzy Bosco, has been appointed Youth Ambassador of the… ...Angie’s big year
How does she do it? Mother of six, humble, humanitarian and A-List star. You have… ...God is the secret to my success–I go save
•Wraps up European tour Rib-cracker, Otaghware Otas Onodjayeke aka Otas Igosave, is lighting up Europe… ...
- Jonathan: Nigeria Would Have Been in Turmoil If Buhari, Bauchi Were Killed in Bomb Blasts [28 Jul 2014]
- Subsidiaries of NNPC Now Profit-Oriented, Efficiency-Driven, Says Yakubu [28 Jul 2014]
- For Muslims in Maiduguri, It Was Long Walk to Prayer Grounds [28 Jul 2014]
- APC Calls for International Inquiry into Assassination Attempt on Buhari [28 Jul 2014]
- Governors, Sultan, Others Felicitate with Muslims, Sue for Peace [28 Jul 2014]
- Again, Conference Postpones Resumption Date to August 11 [28 Jul 2014]
- El-Zakzaky: Army Denies Extra-judicial Killings [28 Jul 2014]
- Ihedioha: How Parliaments in Africa Can Fight Corruption [28 Jul 2014]
- Ebola Virus: Arik Suspends Flights to West African Countries [28 Jul 2014]
- Police Abort Bloodbath in Kano, Discover Car Loaded with Explosives in Mosque [27 Jul 2014]
- Lawan: I Collected $500,000 Bribe Offer [12 Jun 2012]
- Boko Haram Kills 30 in Adamawa Villages [27 Jul 2014]
- Dokubo Blasts Buhari over Kaduna Bomb Attack [27 Jul 2014]
- Twin Bomb Explosions Kill Six in Kano [27 Jul 2014]
- Nigeria’s rising consumer class - The growing size and strength of its consuming class is one of the most important under-appreciated changes in Nigeria. New figures released by consulting firm McKinsey Global Institute (MGI), estimating Nigeria’s consumer market to be worth $1.4 trillion by 2030, clearly shows the huge impact rising consumption will have on the nation’s economy. In 2013,
- Detergent makers expand, innovate as consumer preferences change - Owing to the perceived shifts in consumer tastes and preferences, detergent makers in the country’s manufacturing space are initiating innovative strategies, while expanding to meet the ever-growing demands of 170 million consumers. Currently, three most popular powdered detergent makers in this industry are Procter and Gamble (P&G), with its Ariel; Eko Supreme Resources Nigeria Limited,
- FCMB records single-digit profit growth in H1 - FCMB Group plc, a Nigerian lender, recorded single-digit profit growth in half year (H1) 2014, as it continues to grapple with the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) tightening policy. For the first six months of the year, the Nigerian lender’s gross earnings rose by 10 percent to N69.62 billion from N63.29 billion, compared with the
- Niger Insurance boosts bottom-line on review of business operations - Following review in business operations tilted towards enhanced speed and service delivery, underwriting firm, Niger Insurance plc has begun to witness increased growth and stronger bottom-line. This development, Kola Adedeji, managing director/CEO of the company, said resulted to increased in profit before tax of 163 percent, from N256.6 million in 2012, to N674.3 million at
- Golden Sugar demonstrates resolve to rival competitors - Though Golden Sugar Company, a division of Flour Mills of Nigeria plc, commenced operations barely 16 months ago, it has demonstrated resolve to rival other competitors in the industry. Currently, analysts rate its refinery as one of the most advanced in the world, while its Golden Penny Sugar cubes remain among the best in Africa,
- X-raying an entrepreneur’s journey to lasting legacy (1) - Though it is an uphill task for anyone to start a business in Nigeria, it is even more daunting if a woman takes up the challenge. Yewande Zacchaeus is one of those women who have dared to do excel where many men have fallen and she share her inspiring story, writes OLUYINKA ALAWODE. When she
- Accenture expands enterprise service with new acquisition - Accenture has acquired PureApps, a UK-based Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) provider that helps clients use financial insight and analysis to improve organisational effectiveness through better cost management and strategy execution. The acquisition will strengthen Accenture’s end-to-end EPM capabilities and enable it help CFOs transform the finance function using emerging digital technologies. Terms of the transaction
- MTN Nigeria partners NHIS to introduce Mobile Health Insurance Scheme - MTN Nigeria has entered into a strategic partnership with the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) to help bring affordable healthcare services closer to its subscribers and the nation at large. The aggregator of this innovative collaboration is Salt and Einstein. This first-of-its-kind scheme was officially launched recently in Lagos. Michael Ikpoki, CEO, MTN Nigeria, speaking
- WTI crude falls to 1-week low on rising US fuel supply - West Texas Intermediate crude fell to a one-week low on speculation that increasing US fuel inventories will prompt refineries to reduce processing rates. Brent oil was steady as fighting continued in eastern Ukraine. US gasoline supplies rose to a four-month high in the week ended July 18, as use slipped, government data released July 23
- Visa drops after reducing revenue forecast for fiscal year - Visa Inc., the biggest component in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, fell the most in three months after reducing its revenue forecast for the rest of the fiscal year. Visa slid 4.5 percent to $212.71 at 10:31am in New York on Friday after dropping as much as 5.1 percent, the most intraday since April 25 and the worst performance in the
- Nigeria rakes in 6 medals from weightlifting Oluwatoyin Adesanmi won another gold medal for Nigeria at the Commonwealth Games in the women’s 63kg weightlifting yesterday. [July 28, 2014]
- We ‘ll run an open administration – Umeh Speaking in a chat with Sports Vanguard yesterday, Umeh promised to usher in a regime of accountability and transparency. “We hope to be different,” he started. “We will be having regular executive committee meetings, unlike in the past where few people took decisions for the rest of the members.” [July 28, 2014]
- Impeachment: Maigari’s group fights back Ahead of the emergency congress of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) slated to take place this Thursday in Abuja, there are very clear indications that the camp of the impeached president of the federation, Alhaji Aminu Maigari has started an intensive lobbying of the delegates to the congress with a view to getting them quash the impeachment. [July 28, 2014]
- Gowon tasks Team Nigeria to set new record in Glasgow Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s former Head of State, has tasked Team Nigeria athletes at the ongoing 20th Commonwealth Games in Glasgow to strive for more medals in order to break new record. [July 27, 2014]
- SA disappoints Keshi, appoints ‘Shakes’ Mashaba South Africa Football Association, yesterday named local coach Ephraim ‘Shakes’ Mashaba as new manager of the Bafana Bafana, thus ending all speculations concerning coach Stephen Keshi. [July 27, 2014]
- Maigairi wishes NFF well Impeached president of the Nigeria Football Federation Aminu Maigari has resigned to fate and has gone into hibernation. Maigari, indicated yesterday that he has peace of mind after a tumultuous post Brazil 2014 World Cup had him battling against the wind. [July 27, 2014]
- Commonwealth Games: Bolt’s parents wish Okagbare well Nigeria’s sprint queen Blessing Okagbare begins her quest to win a Commonwealth Games double today in Glasgow Scotland. And she seem to have received the Blessings to make it happen from the parents of world record holder in the men’s sprints, Usain Bolt. [July 27, 2014]
- IAAF World Juniors: Oduduru rakes in silver for Nigeria Nigeria’s fast rising junior athlete Ejowvokoghene Divine Oduduru gave his country a reason to cheer when he ran a ‘windy’ 20.25 to win silver in men’s 200m event at the on-going IAAF World Junior Championships in Eugene Oregon, USA. [July 27, 2014]
- Mashaba appointed to coach South Africa Ephraim ‘Shakes’ Mashaba was named coach of South Africa Saturday in succession to sacked Gordon Igesund. [July 26, 2014]
- Liverpool’s Lallana set to miss start of season Liverpool suffered a major blow on Friday when England midfielder Adam Lallana was ruled out for up to six weeks after suffering a knee injury. [July 26, 2014]
- FIFA fines Argentina for Falklands banner FIFA has fined and reprimanded the Argentinian Football Association after the World Cup finalists put up a banner laying claim to the disputed Falkland Islands before a recent match. [July 26, 2014]
- Payment of allowances to Team Nigeria athletes guaranteed The Minister of Sports, Tammy Danagogo, has directed the immediate payment of competition allowances of Team Nigeria athletes at the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Glasgow Scotland. [July 26, 2014]
- Glasgow: Amalaha’s gold excites Danagogo The Minister of Sports, Mr Tammy Danagogo on Saturday in Glasgow, Scotland, expressed satisfaction with the performance of Team Nigeria athletes at ongoing Commonwealth Games. [July 26, 2014]
- Corruption should be effectively tackled in NFA – Enthusiasts Some sports enthusiasts on Friday in Abuja said the impeachment of Aminu Maigari as the Chairman of Nigeria Football Association (NFA) was a welcome development. [July 26, 2014]
- Beware of those jostling to replace Maigari In the light of the impeachment of NFF President, Aminu Maigari, Chairman of the Delta State Football Association Pinnick Amaju in this interview with JOHN EGBOKHAN warns Sports Minister Tamuno Danagogo to be wary of those angling to become the new NFF President. [July 26, 2014]
- Commonwealth Games: Nigerian athletes hope for the best Athletics events of the 20th Commonwealth Games begin tomorrow with Nigerian athletes hoping to rise above challenges encountered on the way to Glasgow and post good performances. [July 26, 2014]
- NFF to revert to NFA Ahead of August 26 Elective Congress of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), it has emerged that the apex ruling body for soccer in the country will change its name to the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) [July 26, 2014]
- Federation Cup: Abuja to host semi final matches The semi final matches of this year’s Men and Women Federation Cup competitions will take place at the FIFA Goal Project, Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, the Nigeria Football Federation said yesterday. [July 26, 2014]
- Nigerian fans recount World Cup experience TWENTY-TWO Super Eagles fans who went to Brazil to cheer the Super Eagles to victory at the 2014 World Cup have been recounting their experiences in the South American country. [July 25, 2014]
- Commonwealth Games: Amalaha lands Nigeria’s first gold Nigeria’s medal’s prospects brightened yesterday, with Chika Amalaha winning Nigeria’s first gold in the women 53kg weightlifting event. [July 25, 2014]
- Chelsea return for club great Drogba Premier League giants Chelsea announced on Friday that their former striker Didier Drogba has returned to the club on a one-year contract. [July 25, 2014]
- Mourinho wants Didier Drogba Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho revealed on Friday that he is considering a move to bring former striker Didier Drogba back to the club after he was released by Galatasaray. [July 25, 2014]
- Opara wins Nigeria’s first medal in Glasgow Nigeria began on a good note yesterday at the ongoing Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games in Scotland as the country won her first medal in weightlifting. [July 25, 2014]
- Glasgow: Our Weightlifters are determnined for honours – Iquaibom Board member cum Technical Director of Nigeria Weightlifting Federation (NWF) ,Lawrence Iquaibom has been listed as one of the referees that will take charge of the weightlifting events at the on going Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. [July 25, 2014]
- From Calabar to Badagry: My journey to perfection ONCE upon a time in my very recent past, there was a journey- a journey from good old Calabar the land where I reside, to the bustling city of Lagos, the land of my birth. And by no design of mine, I ended up in Badagry. [July 25, 2014]
- Why Maigari was impeached President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Alhaji Aminu Maigari has been impeached. Maigari who was re-instated last week after a Jos High Court vacated an injunction that sacked him and his board was thrown out of office after the Executive Committee passed a vote of no confidence on his leadership and accussed him of financial misappropriation. [July 25, 2014]
- Uduaghan commissions swimming pool in Warri Delta state Governor, Doctor Emmanuel Udughan has said his government would not slack in the area of youth empowerment through it’s Delta Beyond Oil programmes as more facilities and infrastructures will be put in place to actualize the challenge. [July 24, 2014]
- Iheanacho is exceptional – Pellegrini Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini was delighted with Kelechi Iheanacho after the Nigerian scored in victory over Sporting Kansas City. [July 24, 2014]
- Eaglets arrive in Kinshasa ahead of African U-17 championship qualifier The national under-17 male football team have arrived in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo ahead of their 2015 African U-17 championship qualifying fixture’s first leg match against their Congolese counterparts. [July 24, 2014]
- NFF ready to renew Keshi contract The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) announced on Thursday they are set to begin talks with coach Stephen Keshi over a new contract. [July 24, 2014]
- Nigeria beat Bangladesh 3-0 in table tennis Favourites Singapore made a commanding start to the team event of the table tennis at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Thursday with both the men and women recording convincing victories. [July 24, 2014]
- 2014 Commonwealth Games opens amidst pageantry, fanfare British monarch Queen Elizabeth II on Wednesday night in Glasgow declared open the 2014 Commonwealth Games, amidst pageantry and fanfare. [July 24, 2014]