Welcome to Nairaland.net for Nigerians and Friends of Nigeria
Nairaland RSS Feed
- Nigeria’s #StopRobbingUs campaign could spur tech advocacy group, CEOs say - TechCrunch Nigeria’s #StopRobbingUs campaign could spur tech advocacy group, CEOs say TechCrunch
- Africa in the news: Tunisia and Mozambique vote, Nigeria closes borders, and Kenya opens new railway - Brookings Institution Africa in the news: Tunisia and Mozambique vote, Nigeria closes borders, and Kenya opens new railway Brookings Institution
- Police free nearly 150 from school in northern Nigeria - Al Jazeera English Police free nearly 150 from school in northern Nigeria Al Jazeera English
- 'Bob Hearts Abishola' Brings Nigerian Characters Into A Prime Time Sitcom : Goats and Soda - NPR 'Bob Hearts Abishola' Brings Nigerian Characters Into A Prime Time Sitcom : Goats and Soda NPR
- Nigeria Border Closure Aimed at Curbing Weapons, Drugs: Minister - Bloomberg Nigeria Border Closure Aimed at Curbing Weapons, Drugs: Minister Bloomberg
- 10 things Nigeria does better than anywhere else - CNN 10 things Nigeria does better than anywhere else CNN
- 'I was treated like an animal in Nigeria school' - BBC News 'I was treated like an animal in Nigeria school' BBC News
- World Bank Approves $3 Billion Loan for Nigeria, The Cable Says - Bloomberg World Bank Approves $3 Billion Loan for Nigeria, The Cable Says Bloomberg
- Nigeria shocked by Togo in CHAN qualifiers as holders Morocco go through - BBC News Nigeria shocked by Togo in CHAN qualifiers as holders Morocco go through BBC News
- Torture, Sexual Abuse Prompt Calls for Reform of Nigeria's Islamic Schools - VOA News Torture, Sexual Abuse Prompt Calls for Reform of Nigeria's Islamic Schools VOA News
- Nigeria's Buhari saga: The fake wedding, the president and the family feud - BBC News Nigeria's Buhari saga: The fake wedding, the president and the family feud BBC News
- More than 60 men and boys freed from 'inhumane' Islamic school, police say - CNN More than 60 men and boys freed from 'inhumane' Islamic school, police say CNN
- Nigeria: It is past time that the ICC opens an investigation - Amnesty International Nigeria: It is past time that the ICC opens an investigation Amnesty International
- Fighting Boko Haram and climate change in Nigeria - Quartz Africa Fighting Boko Haram and climate change in Nigeria Quartz Africa
- Valuable lessons from Nigeria’s marathon effort to eradicate polio - The Conversation Africa Valuable lessons from Nigeria’s marathon effort to eradicate polio The Conversation Africa
- Amnesty International mourns Nigerian activist Kellu Haruna - Amnesty International Amnesty International mourns Nigerian activist Kellu Haruna Amnesty International
- Nigeria has a mental health problem - Aljazeera.com Nigeria has a mental health problem Aljazeera.com
- Thousands of Nigerian hunters prepare to chase Boko Haram - ABC News Thousands of Nigerian hunters prepare to chase Boko Haram ABC News
- After Nigerian painting fetches $1.8M, artist's son says: 'I hope it's coming back to Lagos' - CBC.ca After Nigerian painting fetches $1.8M, artist's son says: 'I hope it's coming back to Lagos' CBC.ca
- Lessons From Nigeria’s Militarized Democratic Experiment - The New York Times Lessons From Nigeria’s Militarized Democratic Experiment The New York Times
- Nigeria Child Protection Sub Sector - CPSS Response Monitoring Dashboard – (January to September 2019) - Nigeria - ReliefWeb Nigeria Child Protection Sub Sector - CPSS Response Monitoring Dashboard – (January to September 2019) - Nigeria ReliefWeb
- Nigeria Inflation Surges After Border Crackdown Curbs Food Smuggling - Bloomberg Nigeria Inflation Surges After Border Crackdown Curbs Food Smuggling Bloomberg
- Nigerian artist Ben Enwonwu painting sold by Sotheby's at $1.4m - Quartz Africa Nigerian artist Ben Enwonwu painting sold by Sotheby's at $1.4m Quartz Africa
- Sahara Reporters founder Sowore remains detained in Nigeria - TechCrunch Sahara Reporters founder Sowore remains detained in Nigeria TechCrunch
- Nigeria Refunds Banks Some of $1.4 Billion Credit Penalty - Bloomberg Nigeria Refunds Banks Some of $1.4 Billion Credit Penalty Bloomberg
- Uber begins the pilot phase of its boat service in Nigeria - CNN Uber begins the pilot phase of its boat service in Nigeria CNN
- Nigeria, South Africa's relationship: apartheid to xenophobia - Quartz Africa Nigeria, South Africa's relationship: apartheid to xenophobia Quartz Africa
- Migrants left home for a reason. Returning is a struggle. - The Christian Science Monitor Migrants left home for a reason. Returning is a struggle. The Christian Science Monitor
- ISWAP fighters kill Nigeria troops in clashes near Jakana - The Defense Post ISWAP fighters kill Nigeria troops in clashes near Jakana The Defense Post
- Fifa U-17 World Cup: Nigeria seek sixth title as they announce squad - BBC News Fifa U-17 World Cup: Nigeria seek sixth title as they announce squad BBC News
- Nigerian bishop says 'border wall' would be good for Nigeria - Crux: Covering all things Catholic Nigerian bishop says 'border wall' would be good for Nigeria Crux: Covering all things Catholic
- Is a Nigerian Astronaut Lost in Space? - Snopes.com Is a Nigerian Astronaut Lost in Space? Snopes.com
- Burna Boy reflects on Nigeria's independence with his new music video 'Another Story' - CNN Burna Boy reflects on Nigeria's independence with his new music video 'Another Story' CNN
- Victor Osimhen: Nigerian wins French Player of the Month award - BBC News Victor Osimhen: Nigerian wins French Player of the Month award BBC News
- Nigeria to be Africa's largest mobile money market with MTN - Quartz Africa Nigeria to be Africa's largest mobile money market with MTN Quartz Africa
- South Africa Vows to Crack Down on Violence Against Nigerians - The New York Times South Africa Vows to Crack Down on Violence Against Nigerians The New York Times
- Nigeria's tech community launches a campaign against alleged police harassment - CNN Nigeria's tech community launches a campaign against alleged police harassment CNN
- North-East Nigeria: Humanitarian Situation Update - Progress on key activities from the 2019-2021 Humanitarian Response Strategy, September 2019 edition (covering 1 - 31 August 2019) - Nigeria - ReliefWeb North-East Nigeria: Humanitarian Situation Update - Progress on key activities from the 2019-2021 Humanitarian Response Strategy, September 2019 edition (covering 1 - 31 August 2019) - Nigeria ReliefWeb
- Nigerian neurosurgeon takes pay cut to perform free operations - CNN Nigerian neurosurgeon takes pay cut to perform free operations CNN
- How a Scot and an Egyptian saved a scammed Nigerian footballer - Al Jazeera English How a Scot and an Egyptian saved a scammed Nigerian footballer Al Jazeera English
- Wahala: trouble in the Niger delta – photo essay - The Guardian Wahala: trouble in the Niger delta – photo essay The Guardian
- Nigeria private Islamic schools in Kaduna: New details of sexual and physical abuse emerge - CBS News Nigeria private Islamic schools in Kaduna: New details of sexual and physical abuse emerge CBS News
- Nigeria is the world's best team at Scrabble; SA aims to attract young players to the game - TimesLIVE Nigeria is the world's best team at Scrabble; SA aims to attract young players to the game TimesLIVE
- Op-Ed: Three challenges to overcome for more sustainable farming in Nigeria - CNBCAfrica.com Op-Ed: Three challenges to overcome for more sustainable farming in Nigeria CNBCAfrica.com
- Gunmen abducts police officer in Nigeria - Xinhua | English.news.cn - Xinhua Gunmen abducts police officer in Nigeria - Xinhua | English.news.cn Xinhua
- Uber Testing Boat Service In Nigeria’s Capital - pymnts.com Uber Testing Boat Service In Nigeria’s Capital pymnts.com
- Abuja crime: Is Nigeria's capital city 'one of the safest in the world'? - BBC News Abuja crime: Is Nigeria's capital city 'one of the safest in the world'? BBC News
- Nigeria Starts Talks With Oil Majors to End $62 Billion Dispute - Bloomberg Nigeria Starts Talks With Oil Majors to End $62 Billion Dispute Bloomberg
- In Nigeria, the largest statue of Jesus in all Africa stands almost 9 meters tall - Aleteia EN In Nigeria, the largest statue of Jesus in all Africa stands almost 9 meters tall Aleteia EN
- Common Slang Words in Nigeria - Fodor's Travel Common Slang Words in Nigeria Fodor's Travel
- Nigeria's tech industry crowdfunds legal push to #EndSARS police - Quartz Africa Nigeria's tech industry crowdfunds legal push to #EndSARS police Quartz Africa
- Nigerians excelling in South Africa awarded - eNCA Nigerians excelling in South Africa awarded eNCA
- Nigeria's Oil Industry Faces An Existential Risk - OilPrice.com Nigeria's Oil Industry Faces An Existential Risk OilPrice.com
- Nigeria's First Lady apologies over 'embarrassing' video - Africanews English Nigeria's First Lady apologies over 'embarrassing' video Africanews English
- Nigeria warned it risks humanitarian disaster by expelling charities - The Guardian Nigeria warned it risks humanitarian disaster by expelling charities The Guardian
- Nigeria’s ever-present hum (of generators) - Daily Maverick Nigeria’s ever-present hum (of generators) Daily Maverick
- Keeping alive the Igbo talking flute in Nigeria - BBC News Keeping alive the Igbo talking flute in Nigeria BBC News
- Letter from Africa: Why Nigeria's internet scammers are 'role models' - BBC News Letter from Africa: Why Nigeria's internet scammers are 'role models' BBC News
- Sunday Mba: Nigeria's Nations Cup hero aims to return after two years out - BBC News Sunday Mba: Nigeria's Nations Cup hero aims to return after two years out BBC News
- Brutal violence in northern Nigeria forces thousands into Niger - UNHCR Brutal violence in northern Nigeria forces thousands into Niger UNHCR
- Shell, Nigeria and a 24-year fight for justice – podcast - The Guardian Shell, Nigeria and a 24-year fight for justice – podcast The Guardian
- Ben Enwonwu: The Nigerian painter behind 'Africa's Mona Lisa' - BBC News Ben Enwonwu: The Nigerian painter behind 'Africa's Mona Lisa' BBC News
- Why African nations close borders: Nigeria, Sudan, Rwanda, Kenya, Eritrea - Africanews English Why African nations close borders: Nigeria, Sudan, Rwanda, Kenya, Eritrea Africanews English
- Alté, Nigeria's emancipated pop scene: 'People aren't used to being free' - The Guardian Alté, Nigeria's emancipated pop scene: 'People aren't used to being free' The Guardian
- Procurring A Visa On Arrival (VOA) To Nigeria - Immigration - Nigeria - Mondaq News Alerts Procurring A Visa On Arrival (VOA) To Nigeria - Immigration - Nigeria Mondaq News Alerts
- Nigeria keeper Uzoho facing long injury lay-off - BBC News Nigeria keeper Uzoho facing long injury lay-off BBC News
- Farming review – gritty tale of Nigeria's farmed-out kids - The Guardian Farming review – gritty tale of Nigeria's farmed-out kids The Guardian
- Nigeria: Army Frees 25 Child Suspects After Abuse Reports - Human Rights Watch Nigeria: Army Frees 25 Child Suspects After Abuse Reports Human Rights Watch
- Nigeria deports seven North Korean nationals, immigration official says - NK News Nigeria deports seven North Korean nationals, immigration official says NK News
- Looking Towards Expansion of Nigeria's Maritime Industry - The Maritime Executive Looking Towards Expansion of Nigeria's Maritime Industry The Maritime Executive
- Brazil vs. Nigeria: Friendly prediction, pick, TV channel, live stream, watch online - CBS Sports Brazil vs. Nigeria: Friendly prediction, pick, TV channel, live stream, watch online CBS Sports
- Nigeria’s government in UK court to overturn $9.6bn fine - Financial Times Nigeria’s government in UK court to overturn $9.6bn fine Financial Times
- Nigerian Students Join Global Fight for Climate Action - VOA Khmer Nigerian Students Join Global Fight for Climate Action VOA Khmer
- Nigeria seeks anti-sexual harassment law after BBC #SexForGrades film - BBC News Nigeria seeks anti-sexual harassment law after BBC #SexForGrades film BBC News
- Nigerian, other African bishops stand against xenophobia in South Africa - National Catholic Reporter Nigerian, other African bishops stand against xenophobia in South Africa National Catholic Reporter
- Power and Solar as Services: How to continue Nigeria's development? - ESI Africa Power and Solar as Services: How to continue Nigeria's development? ESI Africa
- Nigeria elections: Buhari denies third term bid - Quartz Africa Nigeria elections: Buhari denies third term bid Quartz Africa
- Nigeria Demands $62 Billion From Oil Majors for Past Profits - Bloomberg Nigeria Demands $62 Billion From Oil Majors for Past Profits Bloomberg
- Nigerian army shuts Mercy Corps, NGOS amid Boko Haram crisis - Quartz Africa Nigerian army shuts Mercy Corps, NGOS amid Boko Haram crisis Quartz Africa
- Registration Of Industrial Design In Nigeria - Intellectual Property - Nigeria - Mondaq News Alerts Registration Of Industrial Design In Nigeria - Intellectual Property - Nigeria Mondaq News Alerts
- Sino-Pak axis plans to sell arms to Nigeria and Myanmar - Economic Times Sino-Pak axis plans to sell arms to Nigeria and Myanmar Economic Times
- Nigerian journalist charged with treason is granted bail but lawyer says he is still being held - CNN Nigerian journalist charged with treason is granted bail but lawyer says he is still being held CNN
- Nigeria floods: 'Too late' to replant damaged crops - Aljazeera.com Nigeria floods: 'Too late' to replant damaged crops Aljazeera.com
- People, heal thyselves: Nigeria's new mental illness approach - The Guardian People, heal thyselves: Nigeria's new mental illness approach The Guardian
- Overwhelmed by bandits, Nigerian states offer amnesty - Financial Times Overwhelmed by bandits, Nigerian states offer amnesty Financial Times
- Gernot Rohr: Nigeria coach tight-lipped about future - BBC News Gernot Rohr: Nigeria coach tight-lipped about future BBC News
- The power of social enterprise: Can a forgotten nut boost Nigeria's economy? - GreenBiz The power of social enterprise: Can a forgotten nut boost Nigeria's economy? GreenBiz
- African Free Trade Stumbles With Nigerian Blockade of Benin - Bloomberg African Free Trade Stumbles With Nigerian Blockade of Benin Bloomberg
- The Legacy of Nigeria's 1999 Transition to Democracy - Council on Foreign Relations The Legacy of Nigeria's 1999 Transition to Democracy Council on Foreign Relations
- Nigeria’s Buhari Bets on Revenue Surge Despite Repeated Misses - Bloomberg Nigeria’s Buhari Bets on Revenue Surge Despite Repeated Misses Bloomberg
- Nigeria's Sports Minister sacks NHP Committee leadership prior to Tokyo 2020 - Insidethegames.biz Nigeria's Sports Minister sacks NHP Committee leadership prior to Tokyo 2020 Insidethegames.biz
- T20 World Cup global qualifiers: Jersey lose to Canada after Nigeria win - BBC Sport T20 World Cup global qualifiers: Jersey lose to Canada after Nigeria win BBC Sport
- Citigroup Among Banks Hit With $1.4 Billion Nigerian Penalty - Bloomberg Citigroup Among Banks Hit With $1.4 Billion Nigerian Penalty Bloomberg
- Nigeria's royal tortoise said to have lived to the age of 344 in Oyo state - BBC News Nigeria's royal tortoise said to have lived to the age of 344 in Oyo state BBC News
- Kidnappings Raise Fears Among Nigerians - VOA News Kidnappings Raise Fears Among Nigerians VOA News
- Nigeria: Valuable Lessons From Nigeria's Marathon Effort to Eradicate Polio - AllAfrica - Top Africa News Nigeria: Valuable Lessons From Nigeria's Marathon Effort to Eradicate Polio AllAfrica - Top Africa News
- China to fund and build $3.9bn railway from Nigeria's capital to the sea - News - GCR China to fund and build $3.9bn railway from Nigeria's capital to the sea - News GCR
- Nigeria town celebrates claim as 'twins capital' of world - Yahoo News Nigeria town celebrates claim as 'twins capital' of world Yahoo News
- Nigeria’s Battle Over $9 Billion Lawsuit Spreads to Ireland - Bloomberg Nigeria’s Battle Over $9 Billion Lawsuit Spreads to Ireland Bloomberg
- Gunmen kidnap six school girls in Nigeria - Aljazeera.com Gunmen kidnap six school girls in Nigeria Aljazeera.com
- Nigerians in Shock, As Police Free Hundreds From Koranic School 'Horror' [RFI] President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered a crackdown on illegally-operated Islamic schools in northern Nigeria after hundreds of boys were rescued from so-called reformatory centres, where they were reportedly chained to walls, beaten and abused. Authorities described conditions as "places of horror".
- World Bank Approves $3 Billion Loan For Country's Power Sector [Leadership] The World Bank has approved Nigeria's request for a $3billion loan for the expansion of the transmission and distribution networks in the power sector.
- Govt Orders MTN to Suspend Planned Charges for Bank Services [Premium Times] The Federal Government has directed the telecom firm, MTN, to suspend its plan to impose a new charge on customers who use its short codes to access banking services.
- Border Closure - Neighbours to Blame - Finance Minister [Premium Times] The Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, says the International Monetary Fund (IMF) "supports" Nigeria's closure of its land borders because it understands the action is not punitive.
- Again, Govt Vows to Deal With Purveyors of Fake News, Hate Speech [Premium Times] The Nigerian government has restated its stance to punish purveyors of fake news and hate speech.
- Valuable Lessons From Nigeria's Marathon Effort to Eradicate Polio [The Conversation Africa] The theme for World Health Day in 1995 was "Target 2000 -- A World Without Polio". I delivered a lecture titled "Polio Eradication Race: Will Nigeria Finish Last?" to mark the occasion. Finishing last seemed likely because in the 1990s Nigeria's routine immunisation rates were in the 30%-40% range for all vaccine preventable diseases. Countries in Southern and East Africa that had eradicated polio had coverage in the 80%-90% range.
- Despite Huge Investment in Power, Nigeria Suffered 206 Collapses in 9 Years [Premium Times] Nigerians woke up on Wednesday, May 8, to a nationwide power outage that cut off power from many homes and factories leading to reduced load allocations to the distribution companies (DisCos).
- HEDA - Nigeria Lost U.S.$600 Billion to Corruption in 59 Years [This Day] The Human Environmental Development Agenda (HEDA) has said that following an intensive global research it conducted in collaboration with its international partners, spanning several months, it has been revealed that Nigeria lost at least $600 billion dollars to corrupt officials since 1960.
- 10 Takeaways From National Health Dialogue 2019 [Premium Times] Will Nigeria still achieve Universal Health Coverage (UHC) by 2030?
- Investments My Strategy to Create Jobs, Alleviate Poverty - Dangote [This Day] Africa's richest man and Chairman of Dangote Cement Plc, Alhaji Aliko Dangote has promised to continue to do all within his power to help in alleviating poverty and spread wealth even as he charged Nigerians not to lose hope in the country.
- Biafra Leader Nnamdi Kanu's Mother Dies [Premium Times] Sally Kanu, the mother of the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu, is dead.
- What NDIC's Doing to Sustain Financial System Stability - MD/CEO [Premium Times] The Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) is celebrating its 30th anniversary this week. Its Managing Director/Chief Executive, Umaru Ibrahim, speaks on the achievements of the corporation, particularly efforts to sustain financial systems stability.
- Teens Nabbed in Nigeria Anti-Crime Operation [CAJ News] Abuja -TWO teenagers are among ten suspects arrested for kidnapping in the Nigerian capital, Abuja.
- Border Closure - IMF Tacitly Backs Nigeria, Urges Speedy Resolution of Issue [Vanguard] The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has expressed tacit support for the closure of Nigeria's land borders to its neighbours over issues bordering on illegal trade.
- Border Closure Impacting Benin, Niger Republics [Daily Trust] Washington DC -The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has said the sustained closure of the Nigerian land borders is hurting economies of Benin Republic and Niger Republic.
- Kogi Assembly Confirms Onoja As Yahaya Bello's Deputy [Vanguard] The Kogi State House of Assembly, on Monday, confirmed Chief David Onoja, as the Deputy Governor of the state.
- IMF Says Border Closure Hurting Benin, Niger Economies, but Offers No Solution [This Day] The International Monetary Fund (IMF), saturday, said the decision of the Nigerian government to shut its land borders with Benin Republic and Niger had begun to have adverse effects on the economies of both countries. But offered no way out. And contrary to report Nigeria has not banned importation of goods from the neighbouring country, but merely insists that all importation from this country must go through proper channels for proper documentation and payment of port charges.
- Road Carnage - Govt to Review Special Marshals' Guidelines - Boboye [Vanguard] The Federal Government has announced plans to review the guidelines of the Special Marshals, an arm of the Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, with a view to strengthening the operation of group in order to reduce carnage on the roads.
- Nigeria's Wrongheaded Budget [This Day] I just spent the weekend reading and doing some number crunching on the 2020 budget that was presented by President Muhammadu Buhari to the National Assembly on October 8. Of the five budgets he has presented since assuming office in 2015, this was the earliest to get to the legislature before the beginning of the next fiscal year. It is hoped that with the new record set by his administration and a pliant National Assembly, Nigeria will for the first time in decades revert to the January 1-December 31 bud
- AfDB Advocates Unlocking of U.S.$1.8 Trillion AUM for Investment [This Day] Washington DC -The President of the Africa Development Bank (AfDB), Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina, has stressed the need to mobilise mutual funds and other Assets Under Management (AUM) in the continent put at $1.8 trillion, to drive Africa's development.
- Alleged USSD Service Charge - Pantami Orders Immediate Suspension of Charges [Vanguard] The Federal Ministry of Communications, Nigeria has debunked the alleged USSD service charge by MTN Nigeria.
- Govt Monitors Cash Transfer Beneficiaries [This Day] No fewer than 149 personnel have been engaged to monitor 7,742 beneficiaries in the second round of implementation of the federal government Cash Transfer Programme in four selected states of Taraba, Gombe, Adamawa and Bauchi.
- Govt, Shelter Afrique in Talks to Abridge 22 Million Housing Deficit [Vanguard] Worried by the challenge posed by over 22 million housing deficit in the country, the Federal Government, has, weekend, commenced discussions with the Shelter Afrique with a view to abridging the wide gap.
- Investigation - Inside Story of Unexecuted, Abandoned N224 Million Constituency Projects in Plateau [Premium Times] In many rural communities across Nigeria, including Plateau State, access to good roads has often hampered food security and development.
- Nigeria Loses N10bn Annually to Drugs, Substance Abuse, Say Experts [This Day] Abuja -A Professor of Neuropsychiatry, University of Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, Prof. Princewill Chukwuemeka Stanley has disclosed that the country currently loses about N10 billion annually from drugs and substance abuse.
- Govt Insists On Review of Broadcasting Code [This Day] The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed has stated that no amount of attacks, sponsored or otherwise, will stop the implementation of approved recommendations on reform of broadcasting code.
- National Assembly Committees Continue 2020 Budget Scrutiny Today [This Day] Abuja -The National Assembly committees will today continue with the scrutiny of the 2020 N10.33 trillion budget with some ministers and heads of federal agencies appearing before some of the committees to defend the budget estimates for their Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
- Anti-Graft War - More Former Governors Will Be Jailed Soon - Sagay [Vanguard] Chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption, PACAC, Professor Itsejuwa Esanjumi Sagay, SAN, in this interview, speaks on the nation's high cost of governance, why we must reverse the 70:30 budget allocation in favour of capital expenditure and the way forward for the country among others.
- Sense and Nonsense - Thesis On Governance in Nigeria [Vanguard] A trite is that there is nothing new under the sun. However, governance in Nigeria demonstrates that a lot of things can be new under the sun. For instance, there were widespread announcements mainly in the ubiquitous social media that 77-year-old President Muhammadu Buhari was getting married to a newly appointed minister. I am sure we all knew it was a joke because it is no joke running a complex country like Nigeria. So, adding another woman to a matrimonial home with a strong matriarch can be quite com
- Revocation of DISCOs Licences - Why Electricity Equipment Should Be Protected [Vanguard] I am appealing to President Muhammadu Buhari to give adequate protection to electricity equipment before the revocation of licences of power distribution companies. Electricity equipment must be protectedd from vandals and internal sabotage before the revocation of licences of power distribution companies and the implementation of power agreement between Nigeria and Siemens of Germany.
- Digital banking and why ‘business as usual’ is not an option
- Equities defy earnings’ scorecards as investors lose 0.32% in one week
- NAICOM, others task operators to invest in tech tools
- Stakeholders harp on prompt claims settlement
- Coca-Cola reports higher profits, lifting shares
- Pound drops as Johnson faces battle to pass Brexit bill
- Privacy, security raise viability concerns on cloud services in Nigeria
- CBN charges fintechs, agent bankers on adherence to guidelines
- World Bank sets new target of cutting ‘learning poverty’ globally
- Bears sustain dominance as prices of major stocks dip
- Recapitalisation, micro-insurance hold key to sector’s growth
- Price stability, domestic content czar reigns
- Reforming microfinance to alleviate poverty, foster national development
- Small businesses still go global
- Tokyo stocks close up more than 2%
- Online farmers’ market targets one million jobs
- Union seeks more investment in teaching professionals
- Equities investors’ lose N50 billion in four trading days
- Nation’s bourse extends loss streak, as index sheds N20 billion
- Cryptocurrency can transform African economy – Youssef
- CBN’s CNY1.2b interventions and forex developments
- A'Ibom community tackles Mobil over 'paltry' development grant
- UNEP Report: Ogoni accuse Buhari of being slow on implementation
- NNPC, NLNG sign pact for $2.5bn gas supply
- ‘How new technologies aided exploration of sedimentary basins’
- Passengers identify security screening, delays as biggest pain points
- FG approves N10 billion for Enugu airport repairs
- Afreximbank, AfDB offer $.5m to 20 factoring firms
- Coronation Research issues 2019 outlook for insurance sector
- Multichem partners international firm on enzyme supply
- Nigeria’s industrial sector in perspective, by MAN
- Nigeria spends $1 billion on outsourcing yearly
- Otedola completes sale of Forte Oil, deal lifts share price by 10%
- 6 things you should know about South Africa’s first smartphones Proudly South African smartphone manufacturer, Mara Phones officially launched the first smartphone manufacturing facility in the country on Thursday, 17 October 2019. The plant – located in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal – was possible thanks to a R1.5-billion investment by Mara Phones as well as support from the local government. According to a report...
- Facebook considers pegging Libra to national currencies In June 2019, Facebook unveiled a new global cryptocurrency – Libra – that it hoped would disrupt the current world financial system by giving users the chance to send and spend money at a next-to-nothing fee. When it was first introduced,...
- INTERVIEW: Breaking barriers in SA with technology President Ntuli has recently been appointed the new Managing Director for HPE South Africa — effective August 2019. He is responsible for overseeing a broad hardware, software and services portfolio, driving further growth and maintaining high levels of...
- Google introduces new Google Maps features Earlier this week, Google announced that it is bringing two new features to Google Maps – allowing drivers on both iOS and Android to report driving hazards and incidents and those who use Maps on iOS to report accidents, speed traps and traffic jams....
- UberGo launches in 6th South African city Global ride-hailing service, Uber is officially launching in East London with uberGO – making it the sixth city with access to the platform across South Africa. With this launch, Uber hopes to provide locals and visitors to the city with the...
- The Huawei Watch GT 2 is now available in South Africa Huawei’s next-generation device, the Huawei Watch GT 2, is now available in South Africa. This fitness-focused wearable comes jam-packed with some of the latest technological advancements from Huawei – helping users enhance their quality of life...
- Energy focused tech startup launches in Kenya VentureBuilder officially launched on Wednesday, 16 October 2019, with support from the DOEN Foundation, Facebook, Shell Foundation, and USAID. The energy-focused startup aims at scaling African-owned and managed off-grid solar enterprises – mandated...
- Old Mutual embarks on modernisation project with AWS On Wednesday, 16 October 2019, Amazon Web Services (AWS) announced that South African financial services provider, Old Mutual is using AWS as its preferred cloud provider – meaning more than 1,000 applications, including its digital customer platforms,...
- FNB launches digital entrepreneurship programme in South Africa South African financial services provider, FNB announced on Tuesday, 15 October 2019, that – in the wake of its commitment to help entrepreneurs – it’ll be launching a new digital app-based entrepreneurship learning programme –...
- IT News Africa and T-Systems host Healthcare Executive Golf Day On Tuesday, 15 October 2019, IT News Africa hosted the inaugural Healthcare Executive Golf Day in partnership with T–Systems South Africa at Kyalami Country Club, Johannesburg. The event brought together healthcare technology executives from both Public and...
- Facebook officially forms Libra Association In June 2019, Facebook unveiled a new global cryptocurrency – Libra – set to go public in 2020. When it was first introduced, Libra was made up of 28 founding members — including names like Mastercard, PayPal, Xapo Holdings Limited, Uber...
- Tech is Impacting our Human Values, study reports Global technology company, Lenovo says that technology has the power to influence our values, make us more understanding, tolerant, charitable and open-minded – this according to its latest survey. The survey polled more than 15,000 people from the US,...
- Visa drops out of Facebook’s Libra project Earlier this year, Facebook revealed a plan to release a new global cryptocurrency called Libra. While the coin may only go public in 2020, it’s garnered much anticipation from crypto-enthusiasts and even more scepticism from crypto-critics. When it was...
- WhatsApp is working on a new group blacklist feature Private messaging platform, WhatsApp is reportedly working on an all-new Group Privacy Blacklist feature. The new feature will allow users to choose which contacts are allowed to add them to a group and which contacts aren’t. According to WABetaInfo,...
- INTERVIEW: The supply-demand gap in data science There is a massive supply-demand gap in the area of data science and our universities and colleges are struggling to keep up with the rapid growth and changing nature of specific digital skills being demanded by companies, says Shaun Dippnall, founder of the...
- Microsoft makes Python available on Azure in South Africa On Thursday, 10 October 2019, Microsoft South Africa announced the availability of Python support in Azure Functions for South Africans. As a result, developers can now build their serverless functions using Python 3.6, based on the open-source and...
- Hot porridge kills 3 children in Bauchi
An extremely hot porridge being transported in a tricycle in Bauchi has claimed the lives of three children, aged between
- Lobby, face sanction, NIS Comptroller warns officers
Desmond Mgboh, Kano The Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service, Muhammad Babandede has promised to sanction officers who lobby
- FG signs deal with renewable energy investors
The Federal Government has signed an agreements with sevenrenewable energy investors under the World Bank-funded Nigeria Electrification Project (NEP) to
- Kwara to build prosperous economy through SMEs
Layi Olanrewaju, Ilorin Governor of Kwara State, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has said the state’s social investment programme is designed to fund
- Borno elders back Ndume on alleged burial of 847 soldiers in Borno cemetery
The Borno South Concerned Elders (BSCE) has defended the position of Chairman, Senate Committee on Army, Ali Ndume that 847
- Why we’re holding cabinet retreat at volatile town – Gov Zulum
Timothy Olanrewaju,Maiduguri Borno State governor, Babagana Zulum has explained why he was holding the first retreat for his commissioners in
- Sanwo-Olu’s commitment to payment of minimum wage, commendable –Activist
Chinelo Obogo The National President, Campaign for Dignity in Governance (CDG), Razaq Olokoba, has commended Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu,
- Maritime sector’ll become largest contributor to budget funding –Hassan
Steve Agbota The Executive Secretary/CEO of Nigerian Shippers Council (NCS), Mr. Bello Hassan, has said the maritime industry would become
- Fayemi pays N4bn UBEC counterpart funds
Wole Balogun, Ado-Ekiti Ekiti Governor, Kayode Fayemi, has said payment of counterpart funds by his administration will facilitate transformation of
- Man slumps, dies as fire razes Benin market
Tony Osauzo, Benin The sight of his razed shop by a midnight inferno that gutted the popular Santana Market along
- PDP: Secondus pledges total reconciliation
- Right policies, investments’ll boost rice production in Nigeria –KPMG
Chinwendu Obienyi Nigeria can only attain self sufficiency in food, especially rice production, if the right policies and investments are
- Farmcrowdy commemorates World Food Day
In commemoration of the World Food Day on Wednesday, Farmcrowdy fed about 400 pupils of Victoria Island Nursery and Primary
- Manufacturers bemoan continuous border closure
Charles Nwaoguji 08032715118 [email protected] The closure of Nigerian land borders for close to two months now has come with benefits
- Nigeria, Indonesia trade hits $1bn
Aidoghie Paulinus, Jakarta The Indonesia Ambassador to Nigeria, Dr Usra Hendra Harahap, has disclosed that the volume of trade between
- Goodies promo to lift our customers –Dangote
Merit Ibe Chairman of Dangote Cement Plc, Aliko Dangote, has promised to do all within his power to alleviate poverty
- Ways Fly Nigeria Act’ll assist growth of local airlines
Louis Ibah The International Air Transport Association (IATA), in its latest global passenger traffic data, saiddemand (measured in total revenue
- How Local Content Law fails to protect indigenous ship chandlers
Steve Agbota, [email protected] 08033302331 It is worrisome that most laws in the country are feeble in almost every aspect of the
- Usman urges women in maritime to mentor young colleagues
The Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Hadiza Bala Usman, has called on stakeholders in maritime sector to include
- Marine environment: Nigeria committed to effective Ballast Water Management –Dakuku
The Director General of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), Dr. Dakuku Peterside, has reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to
- CSR: Total invests $40m to boost socio-economic development
Total E&P Limited, says it currently spends about $40 million yearly towards executing its various Corporate Social Responsibility Programmes (CSR).
- 19-year-old virgin gang-raped in Kebbi for refusal of marriage proposal
- Plot by thugs to wear Army, Police uniform uncovered
Femi Folaranmi The Nigerian Police has uncovered plots by suspected thugs of political parties in Bayelsa State to wear Army
- Again PDP, APC fight over arms stockpile allegation
Bayelsa State Chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has condemned the National Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade
- What I enjoyed as SGF –Babachir Lawal
Billy Graham Abel Yola Former Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Babachir David Lawal in this interview, reminisces
- West blackmailing African countries – Putin
Aidoghie Paulinus, Abuja In a bid to reclaim their lost influence and dominant positions within the African continent, Russian President,
- 2023: We’ll drag Tinubu into presidential race -Razaq
A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Lanre Razak, has vowed to drag former Lagos governor, Bola Tinubu into
- Atiku group frowns at delay in composition of appeal panel
Romanus Ugwu, Abuja Democracy Vanguard of Nigeria in Diaspora (DVND), an ally to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate
- Impeachment of Kogi dep gov bizarre – Head investigation panel
Emmanuel Adeyemi, Lokoja John Baiyeshea, chairman of the panel set up to investigate allegations of gross misconduct against Simon Achuba,
- Supreme Court: Atiku group frowns at delay in Presidential Elections Appeal Panel composition
Romanus Ugwu, Abuja Democracy Vanguard of Nigeria in Diaspora (DVND), an ally to the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate
- Lyon is coming to right the wrongs of Dickson – House member
Hon. Israel Sunny-Goli, lawmaker representing Brass-Nembe Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives, has said the mission of the candidate
- You can’t bury PDP in kogi, campaign council replies El rufai
Emmanuel Adeyemi,Lokoja- PDP Campaign Council has reacted to Friday outburst of the Kaduna state governor, El Rufai where he was
- APC expels Udoedehe
- New drama series, Amanda, set to hit TV
Chinelo Obogo A much-anticipated family drama series, Amanda is set to hit TV screens. Produced by seasoned filmmaker and award-winning cinematographer,
- Lucky Dube still alive in people’s minds, says PMAN President
Obi Casmir, President of Performing Musicians’ Association of Nigeria (PMAN), on Saturday, said that the late Lucky Dube, a popular
- Zlatan set to stage first concert in Lagos
Omoniyi Temidayo Raphael, also known as Zlatan Ibile, is set to headline his first concert in Lagos themed 'Zlatan Live'
- Inside Bola Shagaya’s double-barrelled diamond celebration
Literally, Lagos was shut down on Saturday, October 12. Virtually, everybody who was somebody was at the prestigious Eko Convention
- Makeup queen Banke Meshida bags global beauty industry icon award in UK
Africa’s queen of makeup, Banke Meshida-Lawal, has been named recipient of EATOW Global Icon award for 2019, at the “Beautiful
- Business mogul Joseph Ukeji bags special honour
Business mogul, Chief (Sir) Joseph I. Ukeji is undoubtedly a silent achiever and one of the most successful businessmen in
- Edith Okubanjo sets for renewal congress
Rev. Edith Adefunke Okunbanjo has been recognized for her courage, agility and unique ability to prepare men and women for
- Kingsley Kuku desperate to return home
In his heyday as close associate of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Kingsley Kuku, came across as an interesting personality. He
- Olori Sekinat Elegushi’s quiet kindness
Despite being the wife of Oba Saheed Ademola Elegushi of Ikateland, an influential Lagos monarch, Olori Sekinat Aramide lives a quiet and
- Billionaire tycoon Emeka Offor gives out daughter in marriage
Two years after hosting the cream of Nigerian high society who turned up for the wedding of one of his
- October 21, AfDB Advocates Unlocking of $1.8tn AUM for Investment
- October 21, Ahmed: Why IMF Supports Nigeria’s Border Closure
- October 21, FIRS Establishes Tax Office for Non-resident Persons
- October 21, FG Insists on Review of Broadcasting Code
- October 21, Govt Sets Aside $1.61bn to Boost Power Supply, Says TCN
- October 21, Ahmed: Why IMF Supports Nigeria’s Border Closure
- October 21, FIRS Establishes Tax Office for Non-resident Persons
- October 21, FG Insists on Review of Broadcasting Code
- October 21, Govt Sets Aside $1.61bn to Boost Power Supply, Says TCN
- October 21, Dangote: Investments My Strategy to Create Jobs, Alleviate Poverty
- October 21, Prepare for NSE Demutualisation, ASHON Boss Urges Stockbrokers
- October 21, CBN, Inlaks Harp on Customer Experience to Unlock Digital Banking Opportunities
- October 21, Nigeria Loses N10bn Annually to Drugs, Substance Abuse, Say Experts
- October 21, ‘Nigeria Needs More Private Sector Investment’
- October 21, UBA Honours Jamodu after 12 Years of Service, Reassures on Good Governance
- October 21, NAICOM Urges Insurance Operators to Embrace Digitisation
- October 21, NSIO, ICPC Partner to Safeguard Social Intervention Programme
- October 21, ‘New AMCON Act to Limit Debtors from Public Contracts’
- October 21, Sagamites Club Floats Fund to Empower Small Businesses, Youths
- October 21, All-Share Index Year-to-date Decline Hits 15.9% on Continuing Bearish Trading
- October 21, CRUDE OIL IN THE NORTH
- October 21, MTN Transforms 510 Communities, Harps on Increased Development
- October 21, Kwara Assembly Approves N130bn Revised Budget
- October 21, Shell Aims to Operate Egypt Concessions in 2020
- October 21, Pitan: Nigeria Must Invest Adequately in Youth Education
- October 21, Osun Pledges to Partner World Bank
- October 21, Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council launches flagship tour in Lagos