Dozens-dead-in-Mexico-gang-shoot-out">May 23, 2015 : aljazeera
- Jonathan - What I'll Do After Leaving Office [Daily Trust] President Goodluck Jonathan says he will be solely engaged in preaching peace and harmony in the country after leaving office. Jonathan stated this at the Presidential Villa in Abuja yesterday while receiving the 2015 Epitome of Peace Award by the Field Superintendent of the Apostolic Church Nigeria, Federal Capital Territory Field.
- Group Accuses UNFPA of Population Reduction Agenda [Guardian] A PRO-LIFE non-governmental organisation, Project for Human Development (PHD), has decried an alleged action of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in carrying out abortion and sterilisation procedures on the impregnated Boko Haram victims in the North-East.
- Avoiding Lead Poisoning in Nigeria [HRW] Outgoing Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday asked the people of Nigeria to forgive whatever mistakes he might have made during his tenure. For some of the Nigerian children who died or are suffering from lead poisoning, this apology comes too late.
- Govt Protests Assault of Diplomat in Equatorial Guinea [Guardian] Abuja -AS African nations come to terms with and try to find a lasting solution to xenophobic attacks against their citizens in sister-states, the recent brutal physical assault by an Equatorial Guinea policeman on a Nigerian diplomat has raised fears that a solution may not have been found for the problem.
- Monitoring the Police Monitors [Daily Trust] Shortly after he was confirmed as Inspector General of Police, Mr Solomon Arase warned his officers against corrupt practices, noting that he had set up teams to monitor the performance of personnel.
- Partition of Africa Affected Our Common Heritage - Buhari [Daily Trust] President-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, said the partitioning of Africa by the colonial powers separated many people of common heritage.
- Baby Born With Traditional Beads in Lagos [Vanguard] Despite adopting several family planning strategies, a 52-year-old grandmother, Mrs. Funke Adamson, has ended up giving birth to a baby girl clutching white 'Ileke' (Yoruba name for beads) on her hands. Funke, a traditional worshipper said she was delivered of the baby that has now been described by many as a "miracle child" on Monday, May 11, 2015 at a Trado-medical home in Apapa.
- Survivors of Boko Haram Abduction Begin Healing Process [UNFPA] Yola -After being captured from their homes, violently abused and, in many cases, starved almost to death, survivors of the Boko Haram insurgency have begun the long process of healing.
- Arrest, Punish Officers Who Carry Bags for VIPs, IGP Orders CPS [Independent (Lagos)] Abuja and Lagos -The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Solomon Arase, has directed all Commissioners of Police, especially those working at the airports to arrest and punish severely any police officer seen carrying the bags of Very Important Personalities (VIPs) they are assigned to protect.
- Understanding NPA's Directives On Oil, Gas Cargoes [Independent (Lagos)] The April 27, 2015 circular issued by the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) to operators in the country's free zones has kicked up a storm that shows no sign of abating. But proper understanding of the issues may calm the confusion.
- Ending Modern Slavery in Nigeria - Invitation to Tender [PR Newswire] Abuja, Nigeria -Invitations for tender to NGOs, relevant charities or private sector organisations relating to ending Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking in Nigeria
- Invitation to Tender - Construction of the UK Returnee Reception Centre, Lagos [PR Newswire] Abuja, Nigeria -Tender for the construction of a Returnees reception centre facility at the Cargo terminal of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Ikeja Lagos.
- Four Travel Agencies Rake in N36 Billion in 2014 [Independent (Lagos)] Lagos -Travel Investment Company Limited (TICO), a conglomerate of four of the largest travel agencies in Nigeria, has stated that it generated combined revenue of over N36 billion in 2014.
- Nass Leadership - APC Won't Compromise Competence for Zoning - Tinubu [Independent (Lagos)] Abuja -The Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee (LPDC) has directed that Kunle Kalejaiye, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) and counsel to a former governor of Osun Statte, Olagunsoye Oyinlola be disbarred after he was found guilty of professional misconduct.
- Sign Tobacco Bill Into Law Before Handover, Group Tells Jonathan [Independent (Lagos)] Abuja -Barely eight days to hand-over date, President Goodluck Jonathan, has been urged to sign into law the recently passed National Tobacco Control Bill before handing over to the new government.
- Should Buhari Maintain Subsidy Regime? [Independent (Lagos)] Despite the billions of naira paid by the federal government to oil marketers, the president of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Comrade Igwe Achese, and other stakeholders said scarcity of fuel would persist if the refineries are not put in proper shape. In this special report, our reporters, Sylvester Enoghase, Phillip Oladunjoye, Emma Okwuke, Abel Orupke, Saheed Bakare, and Judith Eshemitan examine the subsidy regime of the Federal Government.
- U.S.$1.2 Triliion Lost in Annual Wages to Jobs Gaps - ILO [Independent (Lagos)] The International Labour Organisation (ILO) has stated that an estimated $1.2 trillion has been lost in annual wages due to the 61 million jobs gap that opened up since the economic crisis of 2008 and 2009.
- 27 Villagers Killed By Herdsmen Get Mass Burial [Independent (Lagos)] Jos -Twenty-seven persons killed when rampaging herdsmen invaded two communities in Plateau North Senatorial district, were on Thursday given mass burial by officials of Barkin Ladi Council area of the state.
- Mu'azu, Anenih Not Forced to Resign - Secondus [Guardian] Mr Uche Secondus acting National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has dismissed insinuations that Alhaji Adamu Mu'azu and Chief Tony Anenih were forced to resign their positions.
- 16 Players Arrive in Super Eagles Camp for 2017 Afcon Qualifier Against Chad [Guardian] Super EaglesNo fewer than 16 Super Eagles players on Thursday arrived camp in preparation for 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier match against Chad.
- 29 Ships Expected At Lagos Ports [Guardian] Twenty-nine ships are expected to offload their cargoes at the Lagos ports from May 22 to June 5, the Nigerian Ports Authority(NPA) said on Friday in Lagos. This is contained in the NPA's daily publication, "Shipping Position," in Lagos.
- Rivers Council Polls - INEC Denies Releasing Voters' Registers to State Electoral Body [Guardian] The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Rivers said on Friday that it did not release voters' registers to the State Independent Electoral Commission to conduct council polls.
- N1.1 Billion Subsidy-Fraud - EFCC Re-Arraigns 3 Oil Marketers [Guardian] The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Friday re-arraigned three oil marketers-- Opeyemi Ajuyah, Abdullahi Alao and Olarenwaju Olalusi- over an alleged N1.1 billion fuel-subsidy fraud. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the defendants were charged before Justice Lateefa Okunnu of an Ikeja High Court.
- Flying Eagles Group Opponents, Brazil, Picks Strong Squad for U20 World Cup [Premium Times] The Nigeria U20 team, the Flying Eagles will have to brace for a tough start at the 2015 edition of the FIFA U20 World Cup as their first opposition in Group E, Brazil, have released a strong squad for the tournament.
- Hundreds of Children Died From Lead Poisoning Due to Jonathan's Inaction - Human Rights Watch [Premium Times] The failure of President Goodluck Jonathan to sign a $4 million intervention fund to clean up lead contamination in communities in northern Nigeria exposed to lead poisoning due to small scale and artisanal mining has contributed to the death of several hundreds of children and the maiming of thousands others, the Human Rights Watch has said.
- Gbajabiamila Lied, I Didn't Ask to Head House Appropriation Committee - Rep [Premium Times] A member of the House of Representatives, Nnenna Elendu-Ukeje, has denied demanding an assurance that she be appointed chairperson of the Appropriation Committee of the House as precondition for supporting any member eyeing the position of Speaker in the coming 8th Assembly.
- Muslim Youths Burn Court in Kano, Over Blasphemous Comment [This Day] Kano -Hundreds of Muslim youths on Friday morning burnt a Sharia court situated at Rijiyar Lemo area and took to the streets protesting an alleged blasphemous comment by a sect member of Tijjaniyya, Malam Abdul Nyass.
- Unity Bank Explains Reason for Share Reconstruction [Guardian] Unity Bank Plc has explained that the bank embarked on share reconstruction in order to sustain its business module and enhance profitability.
- Air Transport Workers Ask Buhari to Appoint Aviator As Minister [Guardian] The National Association of Air Transport Employees (NUATE) has called on the President elect, Muhammadu Buhari to appoint aviator as the next aviation minister in order to stop cutting corners and move the industry forward.
- Secondus Rejects Calls for Sack of PDP's NWC [Guardian] Abuja -BARELY 24 hours after his assumption of office as the Acting National Chairman of the People's Democratic Party, (PDP), Chief Uche Secondus has rejected calls in some quarters that other members of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party should resign, describing such move as unconstitutional.
- Photo: Bukky Wright In New Jersey For 2nd Son’s Graduation
- Photos: Jim Iyke Heads To Doha, Meets Fans Onboard Qatar Airways Plane
- Lola Alao & Husband Debunk Marriage Crash With Stunning Photos
- Photos: Von Apochi, Nigerian Actor Burnt In Car Fire Accident Returns To Acting
- Photos: Liz Benson, Frederick Leonard, Mimi Orjiekwe On Hilarious Hilary TV Series Set
- Nollywood Stars Omotola Jalade, Susan Peters Reveal Beauty Secrets
- Yul Edochie Shows Off Wife, Denies Gay Allegation By Steven Ugochukwu
- Halima Abubakar Says 2 Heartbreaks Led To Her Suicide Attempts; Actress Dumps Boyfriend Again
- Nigerian Actor Chidi Mokeme In Maryland For Baby Baptism & Dedication[PICTURES]
- Photo: Genevieve Nnaji Flies Economy From Mexico To Nigeria, Fans Call Her Cheap
- Yvonne Jegede, Frederick Leonard & Peggy Ovire Star In Emergency Nollywood Movie
- Jumoke Odetola & Sam Uche Anyamele Play Lead Couple In Marriage Without Borders TV Series
- Vector The Village Viper Movie: Chiwetalu Agu, Chinwe Owoh & Others Filming In Enugu
- Photos: Robbers, Prisoners Who Escaped From Ekiti Jail Re-Arrested During Robbery In Ondo State
- Man Deported From Greece Arrested For Robbery In Enugu
- 2 Children Starved To Death In Agbowo Ibadan Oyo
- Photo: Muslic Cleric, Alfa Runs Mad, Dies After Taking Jedi Jedi Herbal Drug In Festac Lagos
- Fulani Gunmen Killed 5 In Plateau; Terrorists Murdered 13 In Kyado Market Btw Benue & Taraba State
- Emmanuel Adebayor Has Mental Problem: Footballer Released By Tottenham To Fix Family Problem
- Sara Suka: Police Uncovers New Terrorist Group In Kaduna State Nigeria
- Photos: South African Pastor Strips Female Church Members Naked For Deliverance Prayer
- 41 Black Axe,Nosman & Judas Confraternity Cultists Arrested For Edo Killings, Pics Of Nigerians With RIP Seized
- Photos: Violence In Kuje Abuja As Police & Okada Riders Clashed Over Stabbing Of FRSC Official
- Kenyan Man Disguised As Woman Arrested After Working As Housemaid For 8 Months
- Racist Slurs In Google Map Search Result: White House Tagged As Nigg* House On GMap
- 20-Year-Old Student Killed Boyfriend For Visiting Family House In Owerri Imo State
Peru has declared a state of emergency in the country’s south after a fourth person was killed in a demonstration opposing a copper-mining project. Cabinet chief Pedro Cateriano said a 60-day emergency would take effect in the Tambo valley on Saturday, as troops were being ordered into the streets to support more than 2,000 police…. [Read More…]
Dozens dead in Mexico gang shoot-out At least 43 people have been killed in a shoot-out in the Mexican state of Michoacan. Friday’s gunfight between security forces and an armed gang took place in Tanhuato near the Jalisco state border. The violence is thought to be drug-related and officials have said that at least one police officer was killed. The authorities Leave-a-Comment-
Louis-van-Gaal-is-still-optimistic-about Manchester-United’s-hopes-of-keeping-David-de-Gea-at-Old-Trafford-and-hopes-to-pick-the-Spaniard-against-Hull-City-on-Sunday.-The-former-Atletico-Madrid-goalkeeper-is-a-target-for-one-time-rivals-Real-Madrid-this-summer, who-have-issued-him-a-‘now-or-never’-ultimatum-as-they-bid-to… [Read-More…]-Kano-youths-set-Sharia-court-ablaze">May 23, 2015 : goal.com
Louis van Gaal is still optimistic about Manchester United’s hopes of keeping David de Gea at Old Trafford and hopes to pick the Spaniard against Hull City on Sunday. The former Atletico Madrid goalkeeper is a target for one-time rivals Real Madrid this summer, who have issued him a ‘now or never’ ultimatum as they bid to… [Read More…]
Kano youths set Sharia court ablaze Some Muslim youths on Friday stormed the Kano Government House and the palace of the Emir of Kano, Mahammad Sanusi II, to protest an alleged blaspheming of Prophet Mohammed (SAW) by a Tijjani preacher, Abdul Nyass. The protesters, armed with sticks and other dangerous weapons, stormed the streets of the city to express their anger 2-Comments-
For-the-incoming-All-Progressives-Congress-led-Federal-Government-to-create-prosperity-for-Nigeria,-it-would-have-to-double-the-countrys-Gross-Domestic-Product-Growth,-the-Governor-of-Delta-State,-Dr.-Emmanuel-Uduaghan,-has-said.-Uduaghan-said-this-in-Lagos-on-Friday-at-the-Government-meets-business-forum,-organised-by-the-Institute-of-Directors-Nigeria,-where… [Read-More…]-Oyinlola:-Kalejaiye-appeals-against-LPDC-verdict">May 23, 2015 : Simon Ejembi
For the incoming All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government to create prosperity for Nigeria, it would have to double the countrys Gross Domestic Product Growth, the Governor of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, has said. Uduaghan said this in Lagos on Friday at the Government meets business forum, organised by the Institute of Directors Nigeria, where… [Read More…]
Oyinlola: Kalejaiye appeals against LPDC verdict A Senior Advocate of Nigeria disrobed on Thursday by the Legal Practitioners Disciplinary Committee of the Body of Benchers, Kunle Kalejaiye, has asked the Supreme Court to rescind the decision. The LPDC had stopped Kalejaiye from practising as a lawyer over professional misconduct. A five-man panel of the LPDC, led by the President of the Leave-a-Comment-
As-Nigeria-joined-the-world-to-mark-this-years-World-Hypertension-Day,-which-took-place-during-the-week,-a-manufacturer-of-medical-equipment-for-health-monitoring-and-therapy,-Omron,-has-advised-Nigerians-on-moderating-salt-intake-and-monitoring-their-blood-pressure-regularly.-To-commemorate-the-day,-an-associate-professor-at-the-College-of-Medicine,-University… [Read-More…]-Police-storm-suspected-cultists-hideout,-kill-21">May 23, 2015 : Jesusegun Alagbe
As Nigeria joined the world to mark this years World Hypertension Day, which took place during the week, a manufacturer of medical equipment for health monitoring and therapy, Omron, has advised Nigerians on moderating salt intake and monitoring their blood pressure regularly. To commemorate the day, an associate professor at the College of Medicine, University… [Read More…]
Police storm suspected cultists hideout, kill 21 AT least 21 suspected cult members were killed by operatives of the Rivers State Anti-Robbery Squad in Egi community of Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area. A source from the community explained that the incident happened in the wee hours of Thursday in a forest located between Egi and Egburu. It was gathered that security operatives, who 2-Comments-
The-National-Agency-for-Food-and-Drug-Administration-and-Control-has-sealed-confectioneries-and-multinational-food-outlet,-Chocolate-Royale,-for-violating-ethical-and-hygiene-standards.-NAFDACs-Public-Relations-Officer,-Enforcement-Operations,-Anslem-Okonkwo,-said-in-a-statement-on-Friday-that-the-action-was-taken-based-on-an-intelligence-report-which-indicted-the-company-of-illegal… [Read-More…]-Abia-govt-shuns-Chukwumerijes-burial">May 23, 2015 : Jesusegun Alagbe
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control has sealed confectioneries and multinational food outlet, Chocolate Royale, for violating ethical and hygiene standards. NAFDACs Public Relations Officer, Enforcement Operations, Anslem Okonkwo, said in a statement on Friday that the action was taken based on an intelligence report which indicted the company of illegal… [Read More…]
Abia govt shuns Chukwumerijes burial The Abia State Government on Friday shunned the burial of the remains of the Senator representing Abia North Senatorial District, Uche Chukwumerije, at his Isuochi country home in Umunneochi Local Government Area of the state. Anambra State Governor, Mr. Willie Obiano, and his Imo State counterpart, Chief Rochas Okorocha, were among the dignitaries that attended Leave-a-Comment-
Anambra-State-chapter-of-the-Judiciary-Staff-Union-of-Nigeria-will-resume-strike-on-Monday.-This-follows-the-alleged-state-governments-reneging-in-implementing-the-Memorandum-of-Understanding-the-union-reached-with-it-in-March-this-year.-Members-of-the-union-were-seen-in-groups-at-the-judiciary-headquarters-in-Awka,-the-state-capital-on… [Read-More…]-Ekiti-crisis:-50-shops,-two-houses-burnt">May 23, 2015 : Tony Okafor
Anambra State chapter of the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria will resume strike on Monday. This follows the alleged state governments reneging in implementing the Memorandum of Understanding the union reached with it in March this year. Members of the union were seen in groups at the judiciary headquarters in Awka, the state capital on… [Read More…]
Ekiti crisis: 50 shops, two houses burnt No fewer than 50 shops and two residential buildings located within the Oja-Oba market in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State capital, were burnt as the crisis between drivers and Hausa traders escalated on Friday. The arson took place at about 2am in spite of the dusk to dawn curfew imposed by Governor Ayodele Fayose on Thursday. Interestingly,
- Complexus named Silver sponsor of CIO Roadmap 2015 Africa’s foremost ICT publication ITNewsAfrica.com, today named Complexus as silver sponsors of the upcoming CIO Roadmap conference. About CIO Roadmap 2015 CIO Roadmap 2015 is here! On the 24th of June this year IT leaders from all industries will come together to reflect on their experiences and offer hands on advice to help you advance your IT...
- IT News Africa: Top Tech Stories of the Week Telkom has lit up the headlines this week. According to the telecom giant, it is still being plagued by a persistent recruitment scam. While Telkom deals with this, MTN South Africa has been struck down by strike action. According to recent reports, more than...
- Tanzania: UhuruOne gives Alepo products a chance Tanzania Internet Service Provider UhuruOne has announced that Alepo has been chosen to support growth in the ISP’s prepaid wi-fi services in the East African country. The move aims to reduce prices and increase overall connectivity for existing users and...
- Kenya’s BitPesa launches remittance service for Tanzania With many Africans finding work and residence abroad, remittances are a key aspect of economies – especially in East Africa where the number of citizens traveling and working outside their countries of origin is steadily increasing. The result is that...
- Airtel Rwanda offering voice plans to Europe, South Sudan In an effort to spur growth in its voice calling segment of the market, Airtel Rwanda has unveiled a new call pricing plan for users who want to ring Europe and South Sudan. The plan is part of a new international bundle that customers are able to get on to...
- New scam uses Windows Live ID to capture information According to Kaspersky Lab, experts are warning of a new scam that uses Windows Live ID as bait to catch personal information stored in user profiles on services like Xbox LIVE, Zune, Hotmail, Outlook, MSN, Messenger and OneDrive – Which are currently...
- EMEA accounts for 26 percent of Lenovo’s worldwide revenue The Lenovo Group has revealed its fourth fiscal quarter and full-year ended March 31, 2015 results. In a seasonally slow quarter with significant currency impacts, revenue was US$11.3 billion, up 21 percent year-over-year. If excluding the exchange rate...
- Technology is not the silver bullet for cyber security threats In Africa as well as globally Cyber security is no longer an IT problem, but rather a priority of the highest levels at a majority of organisations. The reason for this is simple – cyber threats have become a serious issue that costs businesses money,...
- E-waste collection drive concludes in Benin MTN and Ericsson’s electrical and electronic equipment waste (e-waste) collection and awareness drive in Benin has ended. According to both companies more than 20 tons of e-waste was collected. The campaign was geared towards creating awareness about the...
- Telkom plagued by persistent recruitment scam A recruitment scam offering paid “Telkom internships” at the company upon payment of a “booking fee” of R90 is currently still in operation. The scam first came to light in February 2015, according to a statement issued by Telkom. According to Telkom,...
- Nigeria: Etisalat opens data centre in Abuja Etisalat Nigeria has launched a new data centre in Abuja. According to the company, the data centre is set to address the growing demand for cloud and disaster recovery services. CMO, Matthew Willsher said that the investment was made to ensure that customer...
- MTN South Africa struck down by strike action According to a report via EWN, Mobile service provider MTN revealed that its call and service centres as well as its distribution offices are currently being affected by the latest strike – which has essentially struck down the operator. According to...
- Hitachi Data Systems achieves Level 3 B-BBEE rating Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) has announced that it has achieved a Level 3 B-BBEE rating, having previously been rated as Level 4. This follows the multi-national company’s acquisition of its African distributor, Shoden Data Systems, in 2012 and the...
- Ghana: Alcatel-Lucent completes fibre backbone project Alcatel-Lucent and Ghana’s National Information Technology Agency (NITA) have revealed the completion of the Eastern corridor rural fibre-optic backbone project. The Eastern corridor network, designed and deployed by Alcatel-Lucent, spans 775km and...
- Nigeria: RLG inks manufacturing deal with Airtel According to a report via cp-africa.com, Airtel Nigeria has inked an agreement with device manufacturing firm, RLG. The deal will see RLG produce handsets for potential Airtel subscribers. The regional director of RLG in West and Central Africa, Tosin...
- Top execs weigh in on challenges faced by African contact centres As customer experience becomes the primary competitive advantage in business, the role of the contact centre is changing significantly. But whether it becomes the heart of the business or a component of the bigger machine depends on the business, say African...
- I’ll preach peace when I leave office —Jonathan *Gets Epitome of Peace Award President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said he would be engaged in preaching peace to all religious faithful when he leaves office.… ...
- Group seeks support for Buhari, insists Nigeria won’t break up The Chairman, Foundation for Ethnic Harmony in Nigeria, FEHN, Chief Allen Onyema, has canvassed support for the incoming government of Gen. Mohammadu Buhari, saying that… ...
- Northern group backs Gbajabiamila for Reps speakership The Coalition of Northern Youth Associations (CNYA) have declared support for the aspiration of Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, for the position of the next Speaker of… ...
- NAFDAC certifies packaged water safe in 21 states A new report from the National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control, NAFDAC, has certified packaged water safe for human consumption in 21… ...
- Fuel crisis: Senate summons Okonjo- Iweala, Allison-Madueke, NNPC, others Following Thursday’s resolution of the Senate to probe the lingering fuel scarcity in the country, the Joint Senate Committees on Petroleum Resources ( Upstream and… ...
- Ekiti: Despite curfew, hoodlums raze market, houses in midnight attack *Traders count losses *Ekiti relocates Hausa residents to Shasha Despite imposition of dusk to dawn curfew on Ado Ekiti, unknown arsonists in the early of… ...
- Reps member urges IG to intervene in fresh attacks on Benue communities A House of Representatives member- elect , Hon. Mark Gbillah (APCBenue), yesterday called on the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase to intervene in… ...
- Minister fumes over reports on N9.2bn clean cookstoves project The Minister of Environment, Mrs. Laurentia Mallam, yesterday accused journalists of being mischievous in the reportage of the N9.2bn clean cookstoves programme. Responding to journalists… ...
- NANS lauds FG on MDGs projects The National Association of Nigerian Students ( NANS) yesterday lauded the federal government for affecting the lives of Nigerians positively through Millennium Development Goals (… ...
- APC youths urge PDP to withdraw petition against Reps-elect An All Progressive Congress (APC) youth group under the aegis of ‘Carry Go Borno State Project’ (CGBP) led by its Coordinator, Mr. Ijudigal Fali yesterday,… ...
Governor Suswam betrayed me – Ortom
■ Says his first task is to reconcile Benue people Benue State governor-elect, Dr. Samuel… ...How smugglers nearly killed me – Customs boss, Dimka
Victor David Dimka, the Customs Area Controller (CAC), Federal Operations Unit (FOU), Zone C, Owerri,… ...Buhari has what it takes to restore Nigeria – Latinwo
■ Urges president-elect to focus on security, economic growth and peace Former Governor of Kwara… ...Obiano hails PDP Assembly candidates for withdrawing petitions against APGA
FROM ALOYSIUS ATTAH, ONITSHA Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano has commended the spirit of sportsmanship… ...‘TAN can work for Buhari’
Nigerians will not forget the Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria, TAN, in a hurry. It was one of the major campaign groups that emerged during the buildup to the recently concluded general ...Presidential polls: Jonathan’s acceptance eased tension in Africa –Mahamadou, Nigerien president
President of Niger, Mahamadou Issoufou, yesterday said President Goodluck Jonathan’s acceptance of the outcome of the March 28 presidential election, enthroned new political culture in Africa. ...You can’t intimidate me, Fani-Kayode tells PDP NWC
Director of Media and Publicity of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Presidential Campaign Organisation, Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode, has said he cannot be intimidated by threat of the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) to discipline him for calling for their sack. ...Otti: Abia election tribunal adjourns till June 11
Abia State governorship election petition tribunal sitting in Umuahia has adjourned till June 11 the petition brought before it by the All Progressives Grand Alliance Candidate (APGA) in the 2015 ...APC to hold 2-day retreat for senators-elect
The All Progressives Congress (APC) will hold a two-day retreat for all its senators-elect in Abuja on May 22 and 23, 2015. ...Impeachment: Ondo APC lawmakers sue Assembly, IGP, others
The two All Progressives Congress (APC) lawmakers in the Ondo State House of Assembly, Gbenga Edema and Fola Olasehinde-Vicente have sought the order of a Federal High Court, sitting in Akure, ...I never knew photography would make me a millionaire
– Shola Balogun, CEO, Shola Creative Studio About two decades ago, not so many Nigerian… ...INTELS explains monopoly status
INTELS Nigeria Limited, a major concessionaire operating at the Onne Oil and Gas Free Zone in Rivers State has cleared the air on its alleged monopoly status in the area. The General Manager, Legal Department of ...Customs charges Lebanese to court over N48m fraud
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has dragged a Lebanese, Fares Chawich, before a Federal High Court, Lagos, over alleged plans to defraud the Federal Government of N48 million import duty on vehicles. ...FG terminates Sure-P GIS, Forecom partnership
The Federal Government’s Sure-P Graduate Internship Scheme (GIS) has announced the termination of its partnership with Forcecom Network Limited (FNL). ...Gov Fashola to commission agrochemicals plant
The Candel Company Limited, a leading agricultural inputs development and distribution company, has announced that its integrated manufacturing facility for crop protection chemicals and foliar fertilizers at the Lekki Free Zone, Lagos, will be commissioned on May 26 by Governor Babatunde Fashola. ...World Bank to invest $5bn in result-based learning
Despite investing an estimated $40 billion on the educational sector in the past 15 years of implementing the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), the World Bank Group said this week it intends to devote a whopping $5 billion over the next five years to boost result-based education. ...Amaechi collected N257.6bn from $20bn, says Okonjo-Iweala
FROM ISAAC ANUMIHE, ABUJA Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi… ...N1bn IFRS Academy: CBN, banks’ contributions safe –Ibrahim, FRC Chair
BY AMECHI OGBONNA Contrary to a recent media report that monies contributed by the Central… ...FG to strengthen laws against pension criminals
FROM ISAAC ANUMIHE, ABUJA Following huge infractions in the Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS), the Federal Government… ...Stanbic IBTC Bank, IE Business School partner on loan finance deal
BY CHINENYE ANUFORO Stanbic IBTC Bank, and IE Business School, a leading business school in Spain,… ...Yes, desperate actresses offer sex for role! –Mary Uche
Star of Adam’s Desire and graduate of Theatre Arts from the University of Port Harcourt,… ...Performing at Star Trek my greatest experience –Zaina
US-born and Law graduate, Zaina Agoro, is a fast rising musician who started her career… ...July 19 date for Aity Dennis’ twins’ dedication
All is set for the baby dedication of gospel singer, Aity Dennis’ twins, Awesome and… ... Super Babes is all about independent woman –Cossy Orjiakor
Boobs star, Cossy Orjiakor, is surely seeking new frontiers to conquer as she is currently… ...Cannes Film Festival ‘bans’ women in flat shoes
Cannes Film Festival has come under fire after reports women were turned away from… ...Village Headmaster actor, Femi Robinson, is dead
Veteran actor, Mr. Femi Robinson, popularly known as the Village Headmaster, for the role he… ...Why I left Tinsel –Chris Attoh
BY BOLATITO ADEBAYO If one can assess an actor by how passionate he is about… ...I love gowns –Biodun Okeowo, actress
BY AYO ALONGE If acting cannot fetch enough fortune you just have to delve into… ...Celebs storm Ada Slim’s birthday
■Unveils Lekki home It was fun and excitement last weekend when celebrities stormed the new… ...Fear of failure propelled me to success –Edi Lawani
By TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Bearded communicator and top events manager, Edi Lawani, has shared the… ...
- In a Surprise U-turn, S’Court Re-lists Constitution Amendment Case for Monday [23 May 2015]
- After 22 Years, French Court Orders NNPC to Pay N95bn to Lenoil [23 May 2015]
- Senate Summons Okonjo-Iweala, Allison-Madueke over Fuel Crisis [23 May 2015]
- Power Situation May Worsen Over Labour Issues as Generation Drops to 1,327 Megawatts [23 May 2015]
- Jonathan Inaugurates First Military Radio in West Africa [23 May 2015]
- Drivers, Hausa Traders’ Clashes Escalate, Biggest Market in Ekiti Razed [23 May 2015]
- Youths Shut Down Oil Production in Nembe Creek [23 May 2015]
- Gunmen Sack Market, Kill 6 as Police Arrest Assassins, Cultists in Benue [23 May 2015]
- Two Kidnappers Arrested in Osun [23 May 2015]
- Chadian Lawmakers Extend Troops' Mandate to Fight Boko Haram [20 May 2015]
- Another Major Earthquake Hits Nepal, Epicentre Near China Border [12 May 2015]
- PM Cameron Sweeps to Unexpected Triumph in British Election [08 May 2015]
- Lawan: I Collected $500,000 Bribe Offer [12 Jun 2012]
- Senate Presidency: APC Leadership Meets Senators Friday [22 May 2015]
- Muslim Youths Burn Court in Kano, over Blasphemous Comment [22 May 2015]
- Nigeria Would Have Been in Crisis if Jonathan Did Not Concede Defeat, Says Buhari [22 May 2015]
- APC Transition Committee Submits Report, Laments FG's Poor Cooperation [22 May 2015]
- CSCS, CDSC, Africlear to co-fund Africa wide financial markets infrastructure - Africa Development Bank (AfDB), through its Fund for African Private Sector Assistance (FAPA) Initiative, has partnered with Africlear Global in a $400,000 seed equity investment to enhance the efficiency of capital markets, by supporting the modernisation of central securities depository infrastructure in African securities markets. Africlear Global, a company initiated by two African central securities
- FTSE, Stanbic IBTC develop Nigeria IPF Benchmark - FTSE Group, the global index provider, has announced the development of the FTSE Nigeria Investable Pension Fund (IPF) Benchmark. The new index is the first of its kind in the region, encapsulating Nigerian listed companies while adhering to National Pension Commission (PenCom) regulation on investment, safeguarding good corporate governance for users. It has been created
- Saudi Arabia, partners turn down Chinese requests for extra oil - Saudi Arabia and its main Middle East OPEC partners are turning down Chinese requests for extra oil as they hold back fuel for their own refineries just as demand from the world’s biggest crude importer hits new records. While the Saudi and other refusals for additional crude supplies may not be part of a new
- Stanbic IBTC Bank signs MoU with IE Business for education financing - Stanbic IBTC Bank, a member of Stanbic IBTC Holdings plc, has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with IE Business School, Spain, to finance prospective participants in the executive blended programme run by the school. The parties on Tuesday signed the financing agreement to kick start the partnership in which the lender will provide loan
- DPR eyes modular refineries as solution to recurrent fuel scarcity - Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has restated the Federal Government’s commitment to finding a lasting solution to Nigeria’s perennial fuel scarcity crisis by fast-tracking the establishment of modular refineries. This is as the nation continues to rely on imported petroleum products as its four refineries continue to under-perform. Speaking at a day sensitisation programme on
- CAC to promote statutory compliance through rewards - The Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) says it would start promoting statutory compliance by rewarding companies that have duly complied with its specified requirements stated in the Companies and Allied Matters Act. CAC has the statutory responsibility of registering companies operating in Nigeria. Bello Mahmud, registrar-general, CAC, said at a pre-event briefing for the commission’s maiden
- Spring Mortgage, ARM Properties securities now trading on NASD OTC market - Securities of Spring Mortgage plc and ARM Properties plc were introduced to the NASD OTC market last week by Primera Africa Securities Limited and Mega Equities Limited, respectively, bringing the total number of admitted securities on the platform to 21. According to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in its Nigerian Capital Market Masterplan (2015-2025),
- Ecobank Group chairman optimistic about the bank’s future - Chairman of Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI), Emmanuel Ikazoboh, has assured the pan-African institution’s shareholders of a bright future that will guarantee higher benefits for all. Speaking at a reception in Lagos with shareholders before a routine board meeting recently, Ikazoboh described Ecobank as the pride of Africa. Complimenting the bank’s staff, it is a pan-African
- FrieslandCampina marks 60 years of Peak brand in Nigeria - FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria plc, maker of Peak and other milk brands, has rolled out carpets to celebrate 60 years of delivering consistent quality dairy nutrition to its consumers nationwide. “Over the last 60 years, Peak has continued to be strong throughout the several changes in the market,” said Rahul Colaco, managing director of FrieslandCampina WAMCO.
- Continental Re profit up 46% to N1.1bn in Q1 - Continental Reinsurance plc has recorded a profit before tax of N1.1 billion in first quarter (Q1) 2015 financial period from N764 million in the same period of 2014, showing a 46 percent increase. Femi Oyetunji, group managing director, Continental Re, says the performance reflects the impact of the gradual evolution of the company from 2011