- 21 killed in Nigeria suicide attack - CNN
- We believe in Nigeria — Multichoice - Vanguard
We believe in Nigeria — MultichoiceVanguardSpeaking on Friday at a dinner in honour of Nigerian winners at the 2015 CNN /MultiChoice African Journalism Awards, Mr. John Ugbe, Managing Director, MultiChoice Nigeria, said there are so many indications that Nigeria will blossom and fulfill its ...and more »
- Why Nigeria must qualify for 2016 Olympic men's football event - Premium Times
- MTN: Nigeria Shouldn't Send Wrong Signals To Investors, Says S'Africa Ports Boss - The Guardian Nigeria (satire) (press release) (blog)
- Stallion Group Honoured at Nigeria Agric Awards - THISDAY Live
Stallion Group Honoured at Nigeria Agric AwardsTHISDAY LiveStallion Group won two major awards for its performance in Nigeria's fully integrated rice value chain, contributing to the country's goals for self-sufficiency in rice production. Notably, Stallion has announced plans to expand capacities in Nigeria ...and more »
- Oil crisis: Nigeria loses $1.3 million in October; shares N473.8 bn with states - Premium Times
- Terrorism: Buhari seeks more support from Commonwealth for Nigeria, others - The Guardian Nigeria (satire) (press release) (blog)
- Migration between the UK and Nigeria: A Well-Travelled Path - Daily Trust
- Expanding Nigeria's IT Frontier is My Idea of Giving Back - THISDAY Live
Expanding Nigeria's IT Frontier is My Idea of Giving BackTHISDAY LivePat Ejindu, an IT Consultant based in Raleigh North Carolina speaks on his American Dream, racism in the US and his plans of coming back home on retirement to add value to the IT market. He spoke with Nduka Nwosu. Pat Ejindu exudes the confidence of ...
- Polish Cargo Ship Attacked off Nigeria; 5 Abducted - ABC News
- Polish Sailors Abducted in Ship Attack Off Nigeria [Deutsche Welle] A captain of a cargo ship and several crew members have been kidnapped by suspected pirates in Nigeria, Polish officials say. Several other sailors escaped capture by barricading themselves inside the vessel.
- EFCC Arrests 'Pastor' for N200 Million Fraud [Premium Times] The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, has arrested one Jonathan Ibinabo Alatoru, a self-acclaimed pastor and Chief Executive Officer, Chemtronics Nigeria Limited, for conspiracy, forgery and obtaining money by false pretence to the tune of N200million.
- Suicide Attack Hits Shia Procession [Al Jazeera] At least 10 people have been killed in a suicide attack on a Shia procession near Kano city in northwest Nigeria, witnesses told Al Jazeera.
- Suicide Bomber Kills 21 At Shiite Muslim Procession [Deutsche Welle] A suspected Boko Haram suicide bomber blew himself up during a religious procession of hundreds of Shiite Muslims. Local religious leaders said at least 21 were killed in the latest violence to hit the troubled region.
- The Sun Eulogises, Presents Letter of Award to Pinnick [This Day] One of the nation's leading media houses, the SUN, thursday extolled the efforts of the present Nigeris Football Federation (NFF) administration led by Amaju Melvin Pinnick, at the presentation of the letter of award to the NFF President as Sports Personality of the Year.
- 20 Killed in Suicide Bomb Attack On Shi'ite Procession [Daily Trust] Kano -At least 20 people, including women and children, were killed and more than 50 injured yesterday in Dakasoye village of Kura local government area of Kano State when a suicide bomber blew himself up after joining a Shi'ite procession. This is less than two weeks after two female suicide bombers struck at a mobile phone market in the city, killing over 20 people.
- Egypt, Mali, Nigeria Make Changes to Squads [CAF] Three teams namely Egypt, Mali and Nigeria have made changes to their squad lists ahead of the opening matches of the U-23 Africa Cup of Nations Senegal 2015.
- The Benue PDP Guber Candidate Heads to Supreme Court [This Day] The Benue State gubernatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the last general election, Prince Terhemen Tarzoor, has approached the Supreme Court to appeal the decision of the Court of Appeal.
- Five Poles Abducted As Pirates Storm Ship Off Nigeria [Al Jazeera] Pirates have attacked a Polish-owned cargo vessel off the Nigerian coast, kidnapping five crew members, Poland's authorities have confirmed.
- Centre for Crisis Communications Casts Doubts On Boko Haram Dec Deadline [This Day] Senator Iroegbu in Abuja The Centre for Crisis Communications (CCC) has observed that despite the great strides made by the Nigerian military in the war against the insurgency in the North-east, the December 2015 deadline for the defeat of Boko Haram is not feasible.
- Again, Dasuki Floors FG in Court [This Day] The Federal High Court (FHC) in Abuja has dismissed the application of the federal government seeking to compel the presence of the immediate past National Security Adviser (NSA) Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), in court throughout his trial.
- Appeal Court Affirms Ekiti PDP Senators' Victories, Dismiss APC Appeals [This Day] The Appeal Court sitting in Ado Ekiti thursday affirmed the victories of the Senator representing Ekiti South senatorial district, Mrs. Abiodun Olujimi and her counterpart in Ekiti Central, Mrs. Fatimat Rasaki .
- Nnaji - Nemsa Created From Nerc's Poor Grasp of Technical Regulation [This Day] A former Minister of Power, Prof. Barth Nnaji, thursday disclosed that the new technical enforcement agency in Nigeria's electricity supply industry, the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency (NEMSA), was created due to the failure of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) to understand and undertake technical regulations and enforcement in the sector.
- CCT Grants FG Two Months to Amend Charges Against Orubebe [This Day] The Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) sitting in Abuja has granted the federal government two months to amend the charges of false declaration of assets brought against the former Minister of Niger Delta, Mr. Godsday Peter Orubebe
- Obaigbena Tasks Online Publishers On Investigative Journalism [This Day] The President of the Newspapers Proprietors Association of Nigeria (NPAN), Mr. Nduka Obaigbena, has tasked online publishers on the need to return to the age old virtue of factual and investigative reporting in order to build a credible online brand that will attract a huge number of readers who are in need of timely and accurate news.
- Senate Orders Kachikwu, NNPC to End Fuel Scarcity in Two Weeks [This Day] Omololu Ogunmade in Abuja Alike Ejiofor in Lagosâ?¨ The Senate yesterday ordered the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and all its subsidiaries to end the acute fuel scarcity across the nation within two weeks.
- Faleke, PDP Stake Claim to Kogi Governorship [This Day] Bolaji Adebiyi, Tobi Soniyi and Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja The quagmire caused by the death of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate, Alhaji Abubakar Audu, in Saturday's inconclusive election in Kogi State is certain to test the legal and political system, following the request by the deputy governorship candidate of APC, James Abiodun Faleke, to be declared winner of the poll and by extension governor-elect by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
- Corruption Undermine Fight Against Terrorism, Says Gadzama [This Day] Former Director General of the Department of State Services (DSS), Afakriya Gadzama, has said corruption has undermined the efforts of security agencies in fighting insurgency.
- Fayose - Buhari Is Lying to Nigerians On Returned Loot [This Day] Olakiitan Victor in Ado Ekiti Ekiti State Governor, Mr. Ayodele Fayose, has carpeted President Muhammadu Buhari's claim that past government officials who looted the treasury had started returning the stolen funds, saying such monies ought to have been transferred to the Federation Account if it was true.
- The Changing Tune of Change [This Day] Sometimes I feel that sudden urge to run away from my beloved country, Nigeria and some other times, I feel that strong sense of righteous anger at our plight as a nation. At the best of times, I feel like laughing; and yet from time to time, I throw up my hand in dismay at the situation in our country. But why should I quit my fathers' land when I have an equal stake in its success or failure like those who control the levers of power. That would never do! So I have asked myself repeatedly, "Why don't I j
- No Bank Is Distressed, CBN Insists [This Day] The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) thursday described as false, a report by an online news website that a recent stress test it conducted on Nigerian banks showed that nine commercial banks demonstrated some level of distress that required that they recapitalise.
- Group Promises to Resist Obi's Attempt to Blackmail Obiano [This Day] The ego war between the former Governor of Anambra State, Peter Obi, and his successor, Willie Obiano, has taken a dramatic twist as a group known as Anambra State Concerned Professionals (ASCP) has joined the fray with an allegation that the cause of the war could be the demand for settlement for helping Obiano to emerge as the governor of the state.
- Uwazuruike, Al-Mustapha, Fasheun Call for SNC, Implementation of National Conference Report [This Day] The clamour for a Sovereign National Conference (SNC) and the implementation of the report of the last National Conference took centre stage at the third memorial service of late Chief Chukwuemeka Ojukwu, as leaders of the different ethnic groups in Nigeria spoke for the peace and way forward in the country.
- Jidenma Bags HR Personality of the Year Award [This Day] Dr Ije Jidenma, a notable human resources and organisational development consultant, has been conferred with the award of "The African Most Respected HR Personality of the year" by the African Development Magazine (ADM).
- Court Dismisses Fraud Case Against Sylva [This Day] The Federal High Court (FHC) in Abuja has dismissed the 50-count charge brought against former governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Timipre Sylva by the federal government.
- Exxonmobil - Nigeria, Others to Drive 25-Year Global Energy Demand [This Day] Data presented by oil giant, ExxonMobil at the launch of its '2015 energy outlook series' have indicated that global demand for energy in the next 25 years would be led by countries outside of the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- Port Harcourt Set for National Div 1 Men's Basketball Championship [This Day] All is now set for the jump ball of the 2015 edition of the National Division 1 Men's basketball championship to be hosted in Port Harcourt by the Royal Hoopers basketball club between November 27 and December 6.
- House Probes Cause of High Lending Rates Charged By Banks [This Day] The House of Representatives has mandated its Committee on Banking and Currency to investigate the reason for high lending rates charged by commercial banks in Nigeria.
- Adeleke Eyes CBN Governor's Cup Encore [This Day] Adebanjo Adeleke has raised the stakes by expressing his readiness to retain the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor's Cup Golf Tournament which tees off at IBB International Golf and Country Club, Abuja on Saturday November 28.
- Chestrad to Present 'I Will Give' to Nigerians [This Day] The Centre for Health Sciences Training, Research and Development (CHESTRAD) International, a pan-African not-for-profit development institution, will in December formally present 'I Will Give', an innovative platform for the mobilisation of resources for social development in specific areas to the Nigeria public.
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week This week is technology has been a rather busy, yet controversial one at that. Not only has Neotel’s CFO resigned, but both Vodacom as well as Neotel have placed their upcoming merger on hold. This week, IT News Africa additionally published some rather intriguing opinion pieces, which cover: E-agriculture: How ICT is taking farming into [&hellip...
- Twenty SMMEs graduate from MTN SA ABDP This year twenty students are graduating from the MTN SA Foundation sponsored Accelerated Development Programme (ABDP). After an intense year of a curriculum packed with both theory and practical business knowledge at the Dream Development Centre the...
- South Africa: Neotel CFO Resigns According to a statement issued by Neotel, its Chief Financial Officer – Steven Whiley – has resigned from his position. According to the company, the resignation will be effective from 30 November 2015. Whiley as well as CEO Sunil Joshi had been...
- WeChat introduces digital wallet service in South Africa At an exclusive event, which was held in Johannesburg South Africa, WeChat revealed that it has extended its features with the introduction of a digital wallet service. According to the company, like a physical wallet, you can securely store your bank cards...
- Visa and MyGate ink partnership to expand Visa Checkout Visa has partnered with online payments platform MyGate to process Visa Checkout in South Africa. Managing Director of MyGate, Dan Edmiston said: “We’re very pleased to be partnering with Visa as we aim to create enjoyable online payment experiences that...
- Video Interview: Matthew Blewett, Business Connexion, discusses IoT in Africa Matthew Blewett started by consulting to Business Connexion on the formulation and initiation of the revitalisation programme, as a member of the Programme-1 team for a year prior to re-joining the group in September 2008. He re-joined the company in an...
- E-agriculture: How ICT is taking farming into the future Ahmed Ibrahim Wakea Allah is a farmer in Sudan. By taking part in an e-agriculture project, he quadrupled his wheat yield in just one year and went from making a loss of 8000 Sudanese pounds in the 2013/14 season to a profit of 80 000 Sudanese pounds in...
- Caterpillar unveils free e-learning website for technicians in Africa Caterpillar has launched the pilot-phase of the Technicians for Africa Project, an e-learning website for people who aspire to become a technician in Nigeria, Mozambique and DR Congo. The website, which is available in French, Portuguese and English, is...
- Senior technology execs discuss IoT at latest Innovation Dinner IT leaders convened at the Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton, Johannesburg for the latest Innovation Dinner, which was held on the 25th of November 2015 – and addressed the theme “Internet of Things: Real World Applications.” This Innovation...
- Financial inclusion is still met with a number of challenges in Africa One of the most life-altering and important drives in the developed world is the drive towards financial inclusion. While this drive may be derived from the incentive for banks to increase their customer base, it is to the advantage of the newly banked...
- Top 7 tips to protect yourself from cybercrime Security software, processes and systems are not enough to beat cybercriminals. They’re clever, they’re focused and they have time. South Africa is one of only 28 countries to have a cyber-security policy in place, but it is widely criticised. We...
- Business Connexion Group acquires ANCO-IT Business Connexion Group has announced the acquisition of ANCO-IT (Pty) Ltd, a leading provider of business application solutions exclusively using Oracle Applications. Founded in 2006, ANCO are specialists in Oracle ERP business enterprise solutions. “This...
- 7 African nations among 20 countries most targeted by cybercriminals Check Point Software Technologies has released the October 2015 statistics for its Threat Cloud World Cyber Threat Map, which found that Tanzania was the most attacked country in the world that month, when it comes to cybercrime. Six other African countries...
- Female tech entrepreneur develops on-demand network for financial advice Riovic, which is a virtual financial advice service in South Africa, will – according to the startup – change financial services forever in South Africa. According to founder Naledi Mokoena: “The startup can be referred to as the Uber of...
- Investment in Africa has never been higher Investment in Africa has never been higher. According to the World Bank, Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the region hit a record $60 billion by the middle of this year. And yet, many multinational companies looking to expand across the continent are still...
- Huawei launches Green Energy Solution AfricaCom 2015 saw Huawei Technologies introduce two new major solutions and partnerships: The Lampsite Partnership with mobile operator, Cell C was announced and the Telecom Green Energy Solution was introduced to exhibition delegates and media. The Migrate...
‘No guyman’ will be Bayelsa governor again –Dickson
FROM FEMI FOLARANMI, YENAGOA As the clock ticks towards the December 5 Governorship election in… ...Bayelsa election: Ateke dissociates self from MEND’s endorsement of Dickson
••Warns against unauthorised use of his picture FROM TONY JOHN, PORT HARCOURT Leader of the… ...No regrets dumping PDP –Gen Airhiavbere (retd)
BY NDUBUISI ORJI When General Charles Airhiavbere (retd) dumped the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) for the… ...Dumping confab report will only postpone the doomsday –Archbishop Joseph Ojo
BY ENYERIBE EJIOGU ([email protected]
) In the wake of the pro-Biafra agitation, and renewed clamour for… ...Enugu residents hail Ugwuanyi
Residents of Enugu, Enugu State have commended Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi’s six-month developmental stewardship in the… ...NORTHERN POLITICAL LEADERS PLEDGE TO WORK WITH OTHER REGIONS
From ROSE EJEMBI, Makurdi. The Northern Governors Forum has restated its commitment to ensuring a… ...Bayelsa guber: APC, PDP in war of words over alleged rigging plot
FROM FEMI FOLARANMI, YENAGOA The Sylva/ Igiri campaign organisation (SICO) of the All Progressives Congress… ...Be fair and balance, Okowa advises online publishers
Delta State governor, Dr Ifeanyi Okowa has advised social and online media practitioners to adhere… ...Buhari approves 30 new judges for Federal High Court
FROM GODWIN TSA, ABUJA President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of 30 judges for… ...S/East traders condemn invasion of markets by Biafran agitators
FROM JEFF AMECHI AGBODO, ONITSHA Traders under the auspices of South-East Amalgamated Market Traders Association (SEAMATA)… ...Audu Abubakar tributes
When Prince Abubakar Audu died last Sunday, after the hectic campaign that preceded the Kogi… ...Buhari’s six months is of deceitful change–Fayose
Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayodele Fayose has described the last six months of President Mohammadu… ...My philanthropy, not motivated by politics –Prince Obi Orizu, Crown Prince of Nnewi Kingdom
FROM OBINNA ODOGWU, EKWULOBIA Prince Obi Orizu is the crown prince of Nnewi kingdom,… ...LASU stalemate: Fate of over 3,800 LASU students hangs in the balance
BY CHIKA ABANOBI The crisis bedeviling the Lagos State University (LASU), Ojo, is far from… ...Aregbesola laments paltry federal allocation
The Governor of Osun, State, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola has said that states of the federation… ...Eze Egi was a man of courage, peace- Dakuku
All Progressives Congress, APC governorship candidate in Rivers State, Dr Dakuku Peterside has described the… ...Oshodi-Apapa hell holes turn death traps
BY HENRY OKONKWO A major calamity was averted last Tuesday at Itire bus stop, along… ...Customs arrests 5 Beninoise for alleged oil theft
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), Western Marine Command (WMC) has arrested five persons suspected to… ...Fayose’s wife warns parents over increase in teenage pregnancies
BY CHARLES ADEGBITE Mrs Feyisetan Fayose, wife of Ekiti State governor , has expressed serious concern… ...Kogi election: Wada heads to court
FROM DENNIS MERNYI, ABUJA AND GODWIN TSA, ABUJA A new twist has been added to… ...Stallion Group wins Fish Farmer of the year Award
Multinational conglomerate, Stallion Group has won the prestigious award “fish farmer of the year 2015”,at… ...FG sets up $25bn Infrastructure Investment Fund
Federal Government yesterday set up a $25 billion infrastructure investment fund with a view to closing the nation’s huge infrastructure gap. ...Nigeria requires $7.5bn for transmission upgrade
The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) would require about $7.5 billion to improve on its ageing transmission infrastructure across the country. Managing Director, Niger Delta Power Holding Company Limited (NDPHC), Mr. James Abiodun Olutu, stated this at the PwC Annual ...Union Bank appoints Cyril Odu as new chairman
Union Bank of Nigeria Plc (Union Bank) has appointed Mr. Cyril Odu as Chairman of its Board of Directors, following the resignation of Senator Udoma Udo Udoma, who was recently appointed Minister of Budget and National Planning by President Muhammadu Buhari. ...Oando introduces synthetic lubricant
Oando Marketing Plc., Nigeria’s largest oil retailer, is expanding its range of lubricant products with the introduction of synthetic lubricant, the Oleum SYN, for use with premium motor spirit-based engines. ...‘Most sub-standard goods not from China’
Contrary to the understanding of most Nigerian consumers, many of the substandard products in the country… ...Okowa at UN, says job creation key to global peace
DELTA State Governor, Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa, has called on the international community to partner African… ...Smugglers flood Nigerian markets with expired rice
SMUGGLERS seem to have taken over the Nigerian rice market, flooding the country with toxic… ...NSE:‘Online trading to attract N1.5trn investments’
By Omodele Adigun BASKING in the euphoria of the recent launch of its online trading… ...World Bank approves $16bn carbon credit for African countries
By Amechi Ogbonna THE World Bank Group yesterday unveiled a new plan that calls for… ...How I survive scandals – Wande Coal
By SANDRA EKE and CHISOM ISRAEL For Oluwatobi Wande Ojosipe, popularly known as Wande… ...All set for Light Up Concert with Chante Moore
American superstar, Chante Moore, who landed in Lagos yesterday, is ready to set the… ...Candy Solomon debuts with Africa My Treasure
Female reggae singer, Candy Solomon, has dropped a new single entitled, Africa My Treasure. According… ...Black Tie Xmas concert parades Olamide, Seyi Shay, Lil Kesh
With the parade of the best of Nigerian acts, it promises to be a night… ...Acting sex role, my most challenging ever –Oma Iyasara
BY TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Fast rising actress, Oma Iyasara, who hit Nollywood in 2011,… ...Nudity Fan defends Cossy Orjiakor
BY TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Reprieve it would seem is on the way for exhibitionist, Cossy… ...Tuface Idibia shares success tips
BY TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Singer, Tuface Idibia, who has just received a chieftaincy title in… ...Album Sales :Adele sets new record
British singer, Adele has broken the single-week U.S. album sales record in just four days… ...Zimbabwe’s new Mr. Ugly ‘too handsome’ for some
Pageant judges have crowned a new winner of Zimbabwe’s 4th annual “Mister Ugly” contest, upsetting… ...I need a man –Noella Wiyaala, Ghanaian singer
BY DEJI AROLOYE Ghanaian artiste, Noella Wiyaala, who won the Video of The Year Award… ...