Okorochas-aide-arrested-for-arms-possession">March 27, 2015 : Godwin Isenyo, Kaduna
- Nigeria claims key Boko Haram success on eve of polling Nigeria on Friday announced the recapture of Boko Haram's headquarters, on the eve of a knife-edge vote at which President Goodluck Jonathan is eyeing re-election against a stiff opposition challenge. The military hailed the claimed victory in Gwoza as a crushing defeat for the rebels, whose six-year insurgency has left more than 13,000 dead and which Jonathan had seemingly been unable to stop ...
- Nigeria's military pushes extremists before elections ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Beefed up by new weapons from China, Russia and the Czech Republic, and strengthened by training from foreign advisers, Nigeria's military is forcing Boko Haram extremists from a string of northeastern towns as the country's prepares for elections the insurgents are threatening to disrupt.
- Nigeria wraps up presidential election campaign Campaigning has wound to a close in Nigeria's presidential elections, with the two leading candidates delivering their final messages to supporters before the crunch vote. Saturday's election is being seen as the closest race in the country's history, with President Goodluck Jonathan facing a strong challenge from former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari. Nigeria has a history of election-related ...
- WorldViews: 4 reasons you should care about Nigeria’s election Nigeria is Africa's most populous and oil-rich country, and the elections may affect not just this country but others in West Africa.
- Buhari says does not expect 'tampering' in Nigeria vote Nigeria's opposition leader Muhammadu Buhari told AFP Thursday that he does not expect "tampering" in general elections this weekend but warned of "consequences" if there is foul play. The All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate, speaking in Nigeria's capital Abuja after the close of his campaign, was referring to his three previous runs for the presidency in 2003, 2007 and 2011, when the ...
- Nigeria election: Northern voters place hopes on native son These traits are ingrained into society's image of him from his days as Nigeria's head of state in the early 1980s. It has been almost three decades since he left office, and Mr. Buhari, now 72 years old and running for president of Nigeria in an election this weekend, is still remembered for his regime's no-nonsense policy. “By the time Buhari took over in 1983, Nigeria … was literarily in a ...
- Nigeria pushes back against criticism of election security With Saturday's presidential election in Nigeria looming, armored vehicles and rifle-toting police have surrounded the offices of the electoral commission in a Lagos suburb, while police checkpoints are multiplying along Ikorodu Road, the bustling city’s main thoroughfare. "This is always extremely dangerous in a country divided along religious and ethnic lines," says John Campbell, the former ...
- Nigeria's president urges nation to vote peacefully ahead of Saturday elections In a country steeped in a history of coups, bloodshed caused by politics, ethnicity, land disputes and, lately, the Boko Haram Islamic uprising, the election is important as Africa's most populous nation consolidates its democracy.
- Nigeria's 'champagne' economy boom Despite the atrocities perpetrated by Boko Haram, Nigeria's economy is booming, and not just thanks to oil.
- Nigeria tightens security before presidential polls Nigeria ramped up security nationwide on Wednesday before general elections this weekend, shutting land as well as sea borders and vowing to crack down hard on political unrest. Security is at the fore ahead of the presidential and parliamentary vote, with military operations against Boko Haram forcing the postponement of the poll's initial February 14 date. Since then, Nigeria's military and ...
- Troops Claim Recapturing of 'Boko Haram HQ' [Premium Times] The Nigerian military has finally recaptured Gwoza, a popular town in North Eastern Borno State.
- 12 Candidates, One Nation, One President [Guardian] The parade is impressive. From the academic, private sector, military, to the civil society, the array of presidential hopefuls shows that Nigeria cannot be described as a nation lacking in good quality human capital.
- First Lady Wrong to Claim 70% of Ministers Are Women [Africa Check] Nigeria's first lady has claimed that 70% of the ministers serving in her husband's cabinet are women. But their share is less than half that.
- Why I Won't Vote [African Arguments] I won't be voting in this year's election in Nigeria, the fifth since the return of civilian rule in 1999 following many years of the military. It's partly my fault; partly the fault of the misnamed Independent National Electoral Commission (misnamed because the chair is appointed directly by the president, as he has repeatedly reminded us), which couldn't find evidence of my 2011 registration despite the obscene amount spent on laptops.
- I'm Not in This Race for Power, Money - Buhari [Independent (Lagos)] The Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has said he is not in the race for power or money.
- Displacement Doubles in Flight From Boko Haram [Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar/Yaounde -The number of people in northern Cameroon who have fled their homes fearing the violence in neighbouring Nigeria and cross-border raids by Islamist sect Boko Haram doubled in March to 117,000, a United Nations survey showed.
- Historic Polls - Uncertainties and Anxieties of a Vital Process [Chatham House] The battle for Nigeria's presidency is a two-man contest between the incumbent, Goodluck Jonathan, and his main rival, Muhammadu Buhari. It is expected to be the closest election since the return to civilian rule in 1999.
- Will Nigeria's Election Results Affect Its Foreign Policy? [ISS] Finally, Nigerians are going to the polls tomorrow, Saturday 28 March, despite rumours of more postponements and others - more alarmist - of the creation of a government of national unity without calling the country to vote.
- Nigerian Soldiers Confine Al-Jazeera Journalists to Hotel [CPJ] Abuja -Nigerian military authorities on Tuesday confined two Al-Jazeera journalists to their hotel room and have forbidden them from leaving, according to a statement published on Wednesday by the Nigerian Defense Headquarters and both journalists who spoke to CPJ. The journalists were covering a story on military activities in the area as part of Al-Jazeera's broader election coverage, the broadcaster said.
- Jonathan's Exit Seen As Spark Needed to Ignite Markets [This Day] President Goodluck Jonathan left the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange after a visit two weeks ago to traders singing "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow". Some investors would prefer that he keeps walking.
- Jonathan Faces Friends and Foes in Home State [RFI] Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has a solid base of support in his home state, largely thanks to ethnic loyalty and the benefits brought by a new university. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have any foes there or that he will can take the ijaw people for granted if he is reelected.
- Al Jazeera Demands Release of Their Journalists [This Day] Al Jazeera has demanded the release of two of their Nigerian journalists who were detained in Maiduguri by Nigerian forces since Tuesday morning.
- Buhari - the Burden of Expectations [Fahamu] Nigerians are already looking beyond the March 28 presidential election, which the opposition All Peoples' Congress and its presidential candidate General Muhammadu Buhari are expected to win.
- Elections 2015 - the Worth of Peace Accord [Guardian] Following the emergence of General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd), and President Goodluck Jonathan as the presidential candidates of All Progressives Congress (APC) and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the forthcoming polls, many Nigerians became apprehensive that the poll or its outcome may be marred by violence.
- Jonathan Asks Court to Set Aside Order Barring Soldiers From Elections [Vanguard] lagos--President Goodluck Jonathan, has asked the Court of Appeal, sitting in Lagos, to set aside the Federal High Court order, which restrained him from deploying soldiers to assist the police in providing security during the general elections, which is starting tomorrow across the country.
- Beyond Buhari, Jonathan [Vanguard] Our country is in more danger each day. Every move to pull her from the brink is set for ruination by those who think that the country is all about them. They have narrowed issues to a few politi-cians, instead of the larger interests of Nigerians, without which the country would remain mired in its many challenges.
- Nigeria's External Reserves Fall Below U.S.$30 Billion [This Day] The value of Nigeria's external reserves, which has been on the downswing in the past few weeks, fell below the $30 billion mark to $29.865 billion as at March 25, 2015, according to latest Central Bank of Nigeria's (CBN's) figures.
- Entertainers Push for Ministry of Entertainment [Leadership] The Performing Musicians Employers Association of Nigeria (PMAN), FCT chapter in conjunction with all Abuja-based entertainment associations and entertainers at the weekend staged solidarity and endorsement party in support of President Goodluck Jonathan's re-election bid.
- Post-Election Unrest Could Hamper Aid Efforts in Nigeria [Thomson Reuters Foundation] London -Escalating violence by Boko Haram militants in recent months has uprooted hundreds of thousands in northeast Nigeria and led to a "humanitarian crisis", aid agencies said on Thursday, amid fears that post-election unrest could hamper aid efforts.
- Hot Spots in the 2015 Elections [Leadership] As Nigerians file out tomorrow to participate in the general election, most of the hotspots where trouble and violence may erupt and the indicators, which pencilled them as such, are still prevalent. This is in spite of assurances that the elections will be non-violent, free, fair and credible. CHIKA OTUCHIKERE and PAUL CHIAMA look at the issue.
- Tomorrow's Election and the Military [Guardian] AS Nigerians prepare to cast their vote in tomorrow's decisive election, the necessity or otherwise of deploying soldiers to maintain peace in the process has been made an issue by the peculiarly Nigerian way of conducting elections. The argument has centred on the constitutionality of the use of the military in civil duties, a category to which the conduct of election belongs, against the background of the problematic electioneering in this political environment. With the possibility of violence during an
- Its Patience Versus Aisha [This Day] As Nigerians eagerly looks forward to Saturday's presidential election, Solomon Elusoji writes on the lives of the women behind the two major candidates
- Arise Women Takes Preventive Healthcare to Schoolgirls [Vanguard] A huge mobile clinic, bus-load of drugs, an ambulance, doctors of different specialities, more than 100 volunteers and members announced the presence of Women Arise at Queens' College, QC, Yaba, last Friday in Lagos for a health outreach programme.
- Polls - We Are Combat Ready - - Police [Vanguard] The Police Command, (AIT, Alagbado Police), has said that the police are combat ready to maintain peace and security during and after the general elections on Saturday, March 28 and April 11, 2015 respectfully.
- Six Ships Laden With Petrol Arrive in Lagos [Leadership] Six ships laden with 157,200 tonnes of petrol have arrived Lagos ports awaiting to berth the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
- International Monitors Await Nigerian Poll [Deutsche Welle] Nigerians cast their ballots this weekend in a tightly contested nationwide poll. Election observers could be crucial to a successful outcome.
- CBN Raises N98b in Treasury Bills [Independent (Lagos)] The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), on Thursday, said it raised N97.8 billion ($491 million) in Treasury bills at an auction that fetched lower yields compared with the previous sale last week owing to strong appetite for the debt.
- Microsoft Introduces Capex Saving Crm Online Service [Guardian] MICROSOFT Nigeria has highlighted benefits of adopting its Dynamics offerings- (CRM and ERP) while also announcing that it is extending availability of Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online to Nigeria.
- Phase3 Telecom Builds West Africa's Connectivity Infrastructure [Guardian] PHASE3 Telecom, West Africa's largest independent fibre optic infrastructure and telecommunications services provider has announced plans to commence the deployment of aerial fiber optic infrastructure from Kano in Nigeria to Gazaoua in the Republic of Niger.
- Rivers APC - We Will Resist Police Intimidation [This Day] Port Harcourt -The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State has said it will resist any attempt by the police to intimidate its members in Saturday's election.
- Daniella Okeke Celebrates AMAA 2015 Nomination With Promo Pictures
- Photo: Funke Akindele Befriends Nigerian Billionaire Femi Otedola’s Daughter, DJ Cupid
- Nollywood Actress Bose Aremu Says Every Woman Is A Prostitute
- Photos: Eniola Badmus Married, See Her ‘Husband & Daughter’ On Father’s Pledge Movie Set
- Emem Isong Says Marriage Is Sweet “I Married My Best Friend”
- You And I With Monalisa Chinda TV Talk Show To Air On Africa Magic
- Photo: Ruth Kadiri & New Boyfriend Spotted At Airport In Italy
- Photo: Tonto Dikeh Remembers ‘Virgin’ Days
- IK Ogbonna & Pregnant White Girlfriend Share Bathroom Selfie
- Photos: Robbers, Political Thugs Attacked Nollywood Actress Amarachi Igidimbah Attacked In Ajah Lagos
- Polygamy Wahala: Nollywood Actor Hafiz Oyetoro Saka In Trouble With Wives
- Photos: Halima Abubakar Mimics Ini Edo, Flaunts Sexy Back
- Nollywood Fashion Disaster: Mercy Aigbe Wears Denim Shirt On Ripped Denim Mom Jeans
- Amaechi Stoned, Convoy Attacked In Port Harcourt: Wike Thugs Fire Shots At Rivers Governor
- Robbery Attacks At Wema, First & Skye Banks In Owo, Ondo State: 5 Bankers & Manager Killed
- Photos: Fire Explosion At Abuja Federal High Court, Wills Documents Destroyed, Court Had No Backup
- Photos: Andreas Lubitz, Germanwings Copilot Crashed Plane That Killed 150 In Montabaur – Black Box
- US Sent 3 Helicopters To Evacuate Americans In Nigeria Over Possible Post-Election Violence
- Political Thugs Attack Oshodi Lagos Residents, Several Injured
- Photos: Robbers, Political Thugs Attacked Nollywood Actress Amarachi Igidimbah Attacked In Ajah Lagos
- Car Accident In Ikate Elegushi Lekki Lagos: Truck Crashed Into Toyota Camry
- Boko Haram Kidnapped 506 Women & Children From Damasak, Borno, Killed 50
- Photos: Man Killed Daughter’s Boyfriend In 8 Miles Calabar Cross River State, Paid DPO To Bury Him
- Photos: Policeman Killed In Bike Accident On 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos
- Photos: Nigerian Student Missing In Toronto, Amina Lawal Last Seen At Kingston & Beechgrove
- Photos: Fish Seller Killed By Robbers During Lekki Lagos Robbery Buried, RIP Sarah Ibikunke
The-northern-socio-political-organisation,-Arewa-Consultative-Forum, on-Friday,-warned-security-agents-against-intimidating-or-harassing-voters-at-polling-units-for-no-just-cause-during-Saturday’s-presidential-election-across-the-country.-“There-should-be-no-act-of-intimidation-or-harassment-of-an-illegible-voter-in-the-polling-units-by-the-security-agents-for-no-just-cause,”… [Read-More…]-
The northern socio-political organisation, Arewa Consultative Forum, on Friday, warned security agents against intimidating or harassing voters at polling units for no just cause during Saturday’s presidential election across the country. “There should be no act of intimidation or harassment of an illegible voter in the polling units by the security agents for no just cause,”… [Read More…]
Okorochas aide arrested for arms possession The Imo State Police Command has arrested a Senior Special Assistant to Governor Rochas Okorocha, Mr. Okechukwu Okorocha, for illegally being in possession of arms. Briefing newsmen at the State Police Command Headquarters in Owerri on Friday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Andrew Enwerem, said Okorocha was arrested after operatives of the State Criminal Investigation 18-Comments-
UN-Secretary-General-High-Level-Representative-to-Nigeria,-Dr.-Mohammed-Ibn-Chambas,-said-on-Friday-that-the-UN-has-given-$6om-to-Nigeria-to-assist-the-country-in-the-2015-general-elections.-Details-later…-Troops-recapture-Boko-Haram-HQ,-Gwoza">March 27, 2015 : NAN
UN Secretary-General High Level Representative to Nigeria, Dr. Mohammed Ibn Chambas, said on Friday that the UN has given $6om to Nigeria to assist the country in the 2015 general elections. Details later…
Troops recapture Boko Haram HQ, Gwoza The Director of Defence Information, Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade, has said the troops of the Nigerian Army have captured Gwoza, the headquarters of the Islamic Caliphate, declared by the Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East. Olukolade said in statement in Abuja on Friday that the city fell to a joint operation carried out by the 6-Comments-
A-Federal-High-Court-in-Lagos-has-rescheduled-judgment-till -March-31-in-a-suit-seeking-the-sacking-of-an-Assistant-Inspector-General-of-Police,-Mr.-Joseph-Mbu,-as-a-police-officer-of-the-Federal-Republic-of-Nigeria.-The-judgment,-earlier-slated-for-Friday,-was-adjourned-as-the-presiding-judge,-Justice-Ibrahim-Buba,-did-not… [Read-More…]-Suicide-bomber-attack-hotel-in-Mogadishu">March 27, 2015 : Ramon Oladimeji
A Federal High Court in Lagos has rescheduled judgment till March 31 in a suit seeking the sacking of an Assistant Inspector General of Police, Mr. Joseph Mbu, as a police officer of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The judgment, earlier slated for Friday, was adjourned as the presiding judge, Justice Ibrahim Buba, did not… [Read More…]
Suicide bomber attack hotel in Mogadishu A suicide bomber has attacked a popular hotel in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, with his explosives-laden car, according to government officials. The African Union mission to Somalia, confirmed to Al Jazeera that there had been an explosion and gunfire at the Makka al-Mukarama hotel on Friday. A Somali police official said a suicide bomber detonated his 7-Comments-
The-Lagos-State-Government-said-on-Friday-that-the-monthly-environmental-sanitation-exercise-in-the-state-was-still-in-force.-It-added-that-the-directive-on-movement-restriction-during-the-exercise-was-equally-still-binding-on-citizens.-The-Lagos-State-Attorney-General-and-Commissioner-for-Justice,-Ade-Ipaye,-in-a-statement-on-Friday,-said-an-appeal… [Read-More…]-We’ve-no-confidence-in-Akwa-Ibom-REC-–-APC">March 27, 2015 : Ramon Oladimeji
The Lagos State Government said on Friday that the monthly environmental sanitation exercise in the state was still in force. It added that the directive on movement restriction during the exercise was equally still binding on citizens. The Lagos State Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice, Ade Ipaye, in a statement on Friday, said an appeal… [Read More…]
We’ve no confidence in Akwa Ibom REC – APC The Publicity Secretary, All Progressives Congress, Akwa Ibom State, Mr. Samuel Udobong, has said the party does not have confidence in the State Resident Electoral Commissioner, Mr. Austin Okijie. Udobong, who spoke in Uyo on Friday, alleged that the REC had an “unethical relationship” with the state governor, Mr. Godswill Akpabio, and the standard bearer 11-Comments-
A-Federal-High-Court-in-Lagos-on-Friday-ordered-the-prison-remand-of-one-Kennedy-Okereke,-alias-Agama,-who-allegedly-imported-into-the-country-49-different-brands-of-fake-drugs-and-products-estimated-at-N10bn.-Okereke-was-remanded-alongside-one-Uchendu-Oledibe,-his-accomplice,-with-whom-he-allegedly-committed-the-offence-on-March-2,-2015…. [Read-More…]-OPC,-ex-militants-in-military-uniforms-to-attack opposition-–-APC">March 27, 2015 : Ramon Oladimeji
A Federal High Court in Lagos on Friday ordered the prison remand of one Kennedy Okereke, alias Agama, who allegedly imported into the country 49 different brands of fake drugs and products estimated at N10bn. Okereke was remanded alongside one Uchendu Oledibe, his accomplice, with whom he allegedly committed the offence on March 2, 2015…. [Read More…]
OPC, ex-militants in military uniforms to attack opposition – APC The All Progressives Congress has raised the alarm that ethnic militias and ex-militants, now wear fake police and army uniforms in order to unleash mayhem on the opposition and disrupt voting, especially in the South-West without hindrance. In a statement in Lagos on Friday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, the party said Oodua Peoples Congress members 48-Comments-
There-was-heavy-vehicular-movement-around-the-Ilorin-metropolis,-Kwara-State,-on-Thursday-evening-as-residents,-who-registered-in-the-state,-arrived-from-across-the-country-to-cast-their-votes.-Our-correspondent,-who-toured-the-Garri-Alimi,-Oja-Oba,-Alore-and-Sobi-areas-of-the-the-state-capital,-noticed-large-number-of-people-who-had… [Read-More…]-Banks-closed,-Kogi-govt-offices-deserted">March 27, 2015 : Afeez Hanafi, Ilorin
There was heavy vehicular movement around the Ilorin metropolis, Kwara State, on Thursday evening as residents, who registered in the state, arrived from across the country to cast their votes. Our correspondent, who toured the Garri Alimi, Oja Oba, Alore and Sobi areas of the the state capital, noticed large number of people who had… [Read More…]
Banks closed, Kogi govt offices deserted Banks and Kogi State Government offices in Lokoja closed early on Friday, less than 24 hours away from the presidential election. The offices visited by our correspondent in the state capital as early as 9am, witnessed low turnout of civil servants. At the Kogi State Ministry of Education, offices were under lock and key while
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week This week in tech has seen quite a few surprising occurrences. Not only has Gilat Satellite’s CEO stepped down, but South African telecom operator, Telkom, has been struck down by illegal industrial action. Also making the headlines this week was Nigeria. As the country is set to go to the polls on 28 March 2015, ...
- Nigeria to receive Election updates on 10 channels As Nigerians prepare to exercise their right to vote during the upcoming elections, MultiChoice has assured its subscribers that they can stay connected to the election updates through 10 local and international news channels on DStv and GOtv. In a press...
- Top 10 tips to keep data safe in the cloud If you choose a credible cloud software provider, it will essentially host your payroll applications and data in a secure data centre underpinned by world-class technology. This will free you from doing backups, buying and installing new versions of the...
- Research survey set to track FTTH/B penetration in Africa 52 African countries are now connected to submarine cables, either directly or by terrestrial cross-border fibre optic networks. 44% of Africans live within a 25-km reach of a fibre node. The key question now is which cities and suburbs are taking the lead in...
- Security issue found in wearable fitness wristband Fitness trackers of all kinds have become extremely popular, helping people to manage their physical activity and calorie intake and stay in shape. However, such devices also process important personal data about their owners and it is important to keep it...
- Top Tech Tips to lock down your social media account With mobile devices becoming more prominent in our day-to-day lives, as tech-savvy Africans, we are constantly accessing social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. While these platforms are secure in their own right, they can...
- Nigeria: Lagos Chamber of Commerce Unveils ICT Expo The Lagos Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI) on Friday, 13th march 2015, unveiled the ICT and Telecommunications Expo tagged ‘ICTEL EXPO’. The ICTEL Expo is scheduled to hold at the Federal Palace Hotel, Lagos between 15th and 18th of April, 2015....
- MTN Group reveals latest Sustainability Report MTN Group’s efforts to advance social development in its markets through the integration of sustainable business practices into day-to-day activities, is yielding positive outcomes, according to the company. The company’s Sustainability Report for the...
- Akamai reveals global Q4 2014 State of the Internet Report For the third consecutive quarter, the global average connection speed remained above the 4 Mbps “broadband” threshold, increasing a nominal 0.7 percent to 4.5 Mbps, according to Akamai’s Fourth Quarter, 2014 State of the Internet Report....
- Facebook reveals open source augmented traffic control tool Along with the announcement of Facebook’s This Day feature, the social media platform has announced the release of its Augmented Traffic Control tool under an open source licence. The move is intended in order to give developers access as well a the...
- Nigeria: NCC to pay USD 2.5 million in damages to APC According to a report by the Vanguard, the Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to pay the All Progressives Congress (APC) USD 2.5 million in damages for unlawfully banning its presidential campaign fundraising...
- Kenya: Liquid Telecom invests USD 400,000 into Kilifi Liquid Telecom is set to invest $400,000 in Internet infrastructure that will see Kilifi County in Kenya opened up for interconnectivity for businesses and the county government premises. According to the firm, this is part of its $50m investment in...
- Video Interview: George Burgess discusses Gojimo Education App George Burgess, one of the world’s youngest successful entrepreneurs at just 22 years old, has developed an education app that assists students in revising for their school exams. The app which has been dubbed “Gojimo” will be available in...
- Top 8 analytics trends to watch in 2015 Growing numbers of analysts and researchers insist that data should not only be managed as an asset, but should also be valued as one. They see a future where companies can routinely monetise their own data for financial gain. Analytics innovators continue to...
- Phase3 Telecom to link Niger to Nigeria with aerial fibre Phase3 Telecom has revealed plans to begin the deployment of an aerial fiber optic infrastructure from Kano in Nigeria to Gazaoua in the Republic of Niger. According to Phase 3 Telecom, the network will run from Kano state through Katsina state before...
- Kenya: Telcos demand audit of ICT fund According to a report by The Daily Nation, Kenya’s telecommunication companies allegedly want the industry regulator to set up an audit for the Universal Service Fund and update them on its status. Through the Telecommunications Service Providers of...
- Lagos doctors resume work Doctors in Lagos State hospitals yesterday resumed work, having suspended their 10-day old strike. The decision to call off the strike was based on the… ...
- Election monitoring: Ogun police ban OPC, vigilance groups, others Ogun State police command yesterday ordered members of Oodua Peoples Congress, OPC, and other unauthorised security outfits operating in the state to stay away from… ...
- Thugs shoot Amaechi’s convoy in Rivers …its assassination attempt —Govt Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State escaped death by the whiskers yesterday evening when unknown persons suspected to be thugs… ...
- 16 opposition parties back Buhari in Ekiti A group of 16 opposition parties in Ekiti State yesterday adopted the All Progressives Congress, APC’s candidate in tomorrow’s presidential election, Muhammadu Buhari. The parties,… ...
- Mimiko’s deputy defects to APC …with seven commissioners Gov allegedly collects N1.6bn campaign fund, gives deputy N5m for Jonathan’s election Gets N500m for Lagos rally Deputy Governor of… ...
- It’s morally wrong for Jonathan to seek re-election –Buhari The Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Gen. Mohammadu Buhari yesterday said it was morally wrong for President Goodluck Jonathan to seek re-election,… ...
- INEC deploys 4,349 card readers in Edo Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has provided a total of 4,349 card readers for the Presidential and National Assembly polls in Edo State scheduled nationwide… ...
- Those opposed to card reader are election riggers – Jega Chairman of Independent Electoral Commission, INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega, yesterday, said he has no regret for insisting on deploying Smart Card Reader machines for the… ...
- FG unlocks N1bn credit line for Lagos MSMEs …unlocks N1bn credit line for Lagos MSMEs Federal Government has unlocked a N1bn special credit line, through the National Enterprise Development Programme, NEDEP, for… ...
- Tension as soldiers besiege Oshiomhole’s country home Palpable tension heightened in Edo State yesterday over alleged deployment of soldiers to the country home of the state governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, in Iyamoh,… ...
Presidency: PDP governors’ final push for Jonathan
If there is any power bloc in the ruling party that has so far walked the talk in ensuring that the party’s presidential candidate, Dr Goodluck Jonathan return to the Aso Rock, the seat of power in Nigeria, it is the ubiquitous Peoples Democratic Party Governors’ Forum, (PDPGF). ...How TAN shut down Lagos for Jonathan
The Transformation Ambassadors of Nigeria (TAN) on Tuesday shut down the commercial city of Lagos for President Goodluck Jonathan and Mr. Jimi Agbaje, in an unprecedented mega rally at the National Stadium. ...Questions from Nigerians to Jonathan, Buhari
Being a paper presented by Concerned Nigerian Professionals and Entrepreneurs Forum at a zonal town hall meeting in the six geo-political zones of Nigeria. The paper ascertains some important questions on major issues Nigearians will want the presidential candidates of the PDP and APC to answer. ...Elections 2015: Season of anxiety, hope
Under any circumstance, this week bids fair to be regarded as one of the most important in the history of Nigeria. ...Day 5, 000 Igbo youths drummed support for Jonathan
On Tuesday March 24, not less than 5, 000 Igbo youths, under the umbrella of Ofu Obi Igbo Youths Organisation, marched through the city of Lagos to express their unflinching support for the presidential candidate of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), President Goodluck Jonathan. ...Pundits tip Buhari for victory
As Nigerians go to the polls tomorrow, political pundits have tipped General Muhammadu Buhari, presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to defeat President Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). ...Buhari urges supporters to shun violence
As Nigerians vote in presidential and National Assembly elections tomorrow, the presidential candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC) Gen Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday admonished his supporters to shun violence. ...2015: Jonathan remains the best choice for Nigeria – Ekwunife
The Anambra Central Senatorial candidate for the 2015 National Assembly elections on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Hon. (Mrs). Uche Ekwunife, has said Nigerians will speak overwhelmingly in support of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan in tomorrow’s election because he remains the best choice for the nation. ...SSS warns against unauthorised release of election result
Department of State of State Service has advised Nigerians, election observers and the International community to disregard election results which are not announced by the Independent National Electoral Commissioner (INEC), as INEC remains the only authentic body authorised to do so. ...Jonathan deserves second term –GGI
A group, Good Governance Initiative (GGI), has passed a vote of confidence in President Goodluck Jonathan, saying the he has done more than enough to deserve a second term. ...Why Christians must be agents of transformation, by Adesina
For Nigeria to experience a positive turnaround, genuine Christians in the country must become agents of transformation. These were the words of the Managing Director, The Sun Publishing Limited and President, Nigerian Guild of Editors, Mr. Femi Adesina. ...NGE holds biennial convention April 25
The Nigerian of Guild of Editors (NGE) will hold its biennial convention on Saturday April 25, 2015. A key highlight of the convention would be the election of 16 officers and standing committee members to run the affairs of the body for the next two years. ...MTN offers Christian subscribers new choices
As part of its efforts to ensure its Christian subscribers get connected to their faith on daily basis, especially during this Lenten period, telecommunications giant, MTN, has rolled out various life-enriching and spirit-filled Christian Value Added Services (VAS) offerings. ...Fayose suspends 2 over illegal deduction from teachers’ salaries
Ekiti State Governor, Mr Ayo Fayose, has suspended two state officials over illegal deductions from the salaries of teachers in Ido/Osi Local Government Area of the state. ...Court bars EFCC, police from arresting Sokoto govt officials
A Federal High Court siting in Sokoto, yesterday, restricted the operative of Economic and Finance Crimes Commission (EFCC) from arresting Sokoto state government officials in connection with execution of the appropriation laws of the state under Governor Aliyu Wamakko’s administration. ...Enugu people protest attempt to obtain N11 billion loan
Hundreds of demonstrators yesterday, stormed the Enugu House of Assembly complex, protesting alleged plans by the lawmakers to approve a loan of N11 billion for the state government. ...Robbers invade Ondo community, kill bank manager, others
Daredevil armed robbers numbering seven yesterday evening invaded the ancient town of Owo, headquarters of Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State killing an unspecified number of people. ...Human capital development: Uduaghan bags Most Outstanding Governor Award
Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State has been conferred with the award of the Most Outstanding Governor in Human Capital Development in Nigeria by members of Asaba Correspondents’ Chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Delta State Council. ...EFCC arraigns man over $26, 520 love scam
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned Nwakanma C. Chukwudi before Justice D.V Agishir of a Federal High Court sitting in Enugu on a 12-count charge of cyber crime, obtaining money by false pretence and impersonation. ...8 injured, vehicles burnt as Oshodi boils again
Barely two weeks after rival factions of National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) turned Oshodi into a battle ground, pandemonium erupted in Bolade area yesterday. This time around, thugs of two political parties slugged it out over the closure of the market. ...Shareholders approve Zenith Bank’s N55bn dividend
Shareholders of Zenith Bank Plc, Thursday unanimously approved the N54.943 billion dividend proposed by its board for the financial year ended December 31, 2014. ...FG unlocks N1bn special credit line for Lagos MSMEs
The Federal Government yesterday said it has unlocked a N1 billion special credit line through the National Enterprise Development Programme (NEDEP) for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and cooperatives in Lagos State. ...R3 consumers to benefit from tariff reduction –NERC
Chairman of the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Dr. Sam Amadi, has explained that only industrial, commercial and high end residential electricity customers categorised as (R3) would have their tariff reduced from end of March, 2015. ...Govt provides 590 tractors for agric mechanisation services
The Federal Government has provided a total of 590 tractors to farmers across the country through its agricultural mechanisation project. ...Nigeria to source $2bn facility from AfDB, W/Bank
The Nigerian Government says it will source $2 billion from the World Bank and the… ...Alaoji power plants’ll boost S’East economy, says Jonathan
FROM DENNIS MERNYI, ABUJA President Goodluck Jonathan has said the completed Phase 1 of the… ...FG plans full satellite coverage of maritime domain
BY UCHE USIM The Federal Government is planning a total satellite coverage of the nation’s… ...Enugu gov laments absence of FTZ in S’East
BY ADEWALE SANYAOLU Enugu State governor, Sullivan Chime has faulted Federal Government’s reluctance to approve a… ...Aiteo, Shell sign MoU on acquisition of OML 29 equity
BY ADEWALE SANYAOLU AND DENNIS MERNYI, ABUJA The local content policy of the Federal Government received… ...Neimeth plans to rejig operations for profitability
Neimeth International Pharmaceuticals Plc has concluded plans to enhance capabilities with a view to stabilizing business and profit in 2015 ...I love white Mercedes G Wagon –Olufunke Afolabi
BY CHRISTY ANYANWU Recently , Olufunke Afolabi had the official store opening party of Elpis… ...Airtel keeps touching lives across Nigeria
BY DEJI AROLOYE Inspiring stories of ordinary people with the determination to make life better… ...I’m searching for my heartthrob –Emike Ekwe, singer
BY CHUKS EZE Afro-pop act, Emike Ekwe aka Harmony, has been singing professionally since 2011.… ...I’m not ready for marriage –Sade Olona
Fast rising actress and movie producer, Sade Olona, has come a long way as far… ...Patoranking: Music saved me from being armed robber
By BOLATITO ADEBAYO Reggae act, Patoranking, has inked a record deal with an international label,… ...PSquare’s Peter fetes winners of Val ccccontest
BY DAMIETE BRAIDE It was a rare opportunity for the five couples who emerged winners… ...I’ve finally found love –Queen Blessing Ebigieson, actress
By TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Are you a fan of star actress, movie producer and philanthropist,… ...Nollywood can transform Nigeria’s economy –GEJ
As the build up to the presidential election which holds on March 28 gathers momentum,… ...Cossy Orjiakor now movie producer
By TONY OGAGA ERHARIEFE Boobs star, Cossy Orjiakor, is now a filmmaker. As you read this,… ...Keira Heywatch, Omawumi set to dazzle in new flick
Fast rising actress, Keira Heywatch, is poised to dazzle in a new flick entitled In… ...