- Gunshots At Edo Assembly As Speaker, Deputy Impeached [Daily Trust] Benin -The Speaker of Edo State House of Assembly, Victor Edoror and his deputy, Bright Osayande were yesterday impeached over alleged financial recklessness and highhandedness.
- As the Health Minister's 10,000 PHC Transformation Agenda Starts, We Urge Him to Keep Primary Health Care Under One Roof [Nigeria Health Watch] We are in May. Later this month we will mark one year into the tenure of the Buhari administration, a quarter of its four-year mandate. Also in May, we anticipate the kick-off of the Minister's promised "one newly functional" primary health centre per day.
- Arms Deal - FG Fails to Produce Dasuki in Court Again [Daily Trust] An FCT High Court yesterday adjourned the trial of former National Security Adviser (NSA), retired Col. Sambo Dasuki on charges of diversion of arms funds after the federal government failed to produce him.
- Despite Cash Crunch...Govs Spend Billions On Foreign Travels [Daily Trust] State governors are still spending billions of naira from public funds on foreign trips in the name of seeking foreign investors, despite the cash crunch facing their states.
- Biya in Nigeria for 2-Day State Visit [Daily Trust] President Muhammadu Buhari and his Cameroonian counterpart, Paul Biya, yesterday met behind closed-doors at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja.
- Nigerian Journalist Arrested for News Report [CPJ] New York -Nigerian authorities should drop all criminal charges against journalist Jacob Onjewu Dickson and release him without delay, the Committee to Protect Journalists said today. Dickson has been held in pre-trial detention on incitement charges since Friday.
- Cameroon's President Biya Visits Nigeria to Discuss Terrorism [Deutsche Welle] Cameroon's President Paul Biya is in Nigeria for a two-day-state visit to talk with his Nigerian counterpart Muhammadu Buhari. One item that will be high on the agenda: The fight against terrorism.
- Buhari Returns Budget for Third Time [Vanguard] For the third time the 2016 appropriation bill has been returned as President Muhammadu Buhari was said to have picked faults in the re-worked budget and returned it to the National Assembly for further legislative work.
- Buhari Orders Clampdown On Rampaging Herdsmen [Daily Trust] President Muhammadu Buhari says he has ordered security agencies to deal decisively with rampaging herdsmen.
- Buhari Orders Security Agencies to Deal Decisively With Rampaging Herdsmen [Vanguard] President Muhammadu Buhari has restated his administration's resolve to deal decisively and expeditiously with reported cases of continued attacks on communities across the country by armed herdsmen.
- Minimum Wage - States Should Decide What They Can Pay - Oyegun [Premium Times] The National Chairman of All Progressives Congress (APC), John Odigie-Oyegun, says states should be allowed to fix their minimum wage according to their financial capabilities.
- Thugs Invade Edo Assembly As Lawmakers Impeach Speaker [Premium Times] The Speaker of Edo House of Assembly, Victor Edoro, has been impeached by 16 of the 24 members of the assembly on Tuesday.
- Govt Directs Hospitals to Treat Gunshot Victims Without Police Clearance [Premium Times] The Federal Government on Tuesday directed medical doctors to treat emergencies including gun-shot victims without requesting police clearance or other restraints.
- Lagos Records First Successful Bone Bridge Surgery in West Africa [Premium Times] The Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) in December 2015 carried out the first successful Bone Bridge Surgery in West Africa as well as successful Cochlear Implant surgeries on three deaf patients without the support of foreign doctors, the state government said on Tuesday.
- Abducted Former Minister Freed [Premium Times] A former minister and senator, Iyabo Anisulowo, who has kidnapped Wednesday in Ogun State has regained her freedom.
- Kaduna Govt Wants Death Sentence for 91 Shi'ites [Premium Times] The Kaduna State Government on Tuesday arraigned another batch of 91 members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) before a Kaduna High Court, seeking death sentence for the accused.
- Invest in 'Army of Midwives' to Cut Stillbirths, Maternal Deaths [Thomson Reuters Foundation] Dakar -Investing in an "army of midwives" across Nigeria will cut the number of stillbirths and women dying during or after giving birth, a leading women's rights activist said ahead of the West African nation's first global conference on midwifery.
- Abducted Former Minister Rescued [Guardian] The abducted former minister of state for education, Senator Iyabo Anisulowo, has been rescued.
- Befitting Welcome Ceremony At Nigeria State House [Cameroon Tribune] President Biya and wife were welcomed by the Nigerian first couple at a solemn ceremony accompanied by 21 gun salute.
- President Paul Biya Receives Key of Abuja City [Cameroon Tribune] Upon arrival in Nigeria, the First Couple of Cameroon was treated to a warm welcome from Cameroonians living in Nigeria as well as Nigerians.
- Dogara Joins Instagram As @speakerdogara [Vanguard] Poised to ensure a seamless communication with his constituents, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Yakubu Dogara, on Wednesday, announced his presence on Instagram, the foremost picture sharing site.
- FIFA Remembers Rasheed Yekini [Premium Times] The Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA), on Wednesday remembered Nigeria's late ex-international, Rasheed Yekini, four years after his death.
- I Am Alive, Hale and Hearty, Says Anenih [Vanguard] Vanguard can authoritatively state that former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees chairman, Chief Tony Anenih is alive.
- N'Assembly, Presidency Reach Compromise On Budget Details [This Day] Abuja -After weeks of wrangling over the 2016 Appropriation Bill, the National Assembly and the presidency finally reached a compromise on the finer details of the budget, which will be submitted this morning to President Muhammadu Buhari so that he can give his assent to the bill today or tomorrow, THISDAY has learnt.
- CBN Quizzes Fidelity Bank Officials Over U.S.$115 Million Lodgement [This Day] Officials of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) wednesday stormed the Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island head office of Fidelity Bank Plc as part of investigations into the alleged $115 million cash lodgements it received from the former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke.
- An Eyewitness Report On Saraki's Trial [This Day] Tope Ajayi gives an account of his experience for one day during the trail of Senate President Bukola Saraki at the Code of Conduct Tribunal
- Two Years Without Chibok Girls - Children Want Celebration of Victory, Not Hope [Vanguard] Marking the second anniversary of the abduction of 219 female students from the Government Secondary School in Chibok, Borno State by Boko Haram without any clue, where they are and when they will be reunited with their parents should be the concern of every citizen and government .
- #PanamaPapers Show How Alamieyeseigha Began Looting Bayelsa Treasury [Premium Times] Almost immediately after he was sworn in as the first democratically-elected governor of Bayelsa State in May 1999, the late Diepreye Alamieyeseigha began his long journey of stealing in office by erecting solid offshore structures, including the now infamous company, Solomon & Peters Limited.
- Military to Reassess Performance of Troops in Northeast - Buratai [Guardian] The Chief of Army Staff, Lt-Gen. Tukur Buratai, says the military hierarchy will review the entire counter-insurgency operations in order to improve the performance of troops in the northeast.
- Osu Caste System - a Dead Myth or a Reality? [Vanguard] Sixty eight years after the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and banned slavery in 1948, some communities in Igbo land are still discriminating against those they still regard as slaves. Investigations by the South East Voice revealed that in some of the communities where people discriminate against the so-called slaves, those who call themselves free-born do not allow the slaves to marry their daughters just as their sons do not marry those they regard as s
- Kate Henshaw, Stephanie Okereke, Saidi Balogun & Fred Amata In Ikoyi For MOPICON Meeting
- Odunlade Adekola, MC Ajele, Seyi Law In Dublin Ireland For Comedy Show [PHOTOS]
- John Okafor Mr Ibu In Car Accident: Drunk Nollywood Actor Crashes BMW SUV In Lagos
- Justice For Dr Suraj Giwa: Ibinabo Fiberesima’s Appeal Walk, An Insult To Justice System In Nigeria
- Genevieve Nnaji Alive Not Dead: The Nollywood Actress That Died Recently Is Nene From Imo State
- Genevieve Nene Is Dead: Nollywood Actress Dies In Her Sleep In Lagos, Corpse Taken To Mbaise
- Pardon Walk For Ibinabo: Nollywood Stars Gear Up For ‘Appeal Walk’ For Ibinabo Fiberesima
- Linda Ejiofor Glows In Wedding Promoshoot For CEO Mania Alaso Oke [PHOTOS]
- Photos: Meet 3 Top Female Nollywood Celebrities Who Are Birthday Mates
- Genevieve Nnaji Marks 37th Birthday With Model Oluchi & Ojy Okpe At Steenberg Villa In Cape Town
- Kunle Afolayan’s Younger Brother Aremu: Why I Married My Abuja-based Sugar Mummy
- Newly Married Nigerian Actor Bigvai Jokotoye: I Didn’t Marry My American Wife For Green Card
- Photos: Monalisa Chinda Rocks Odio Mimonet Top & DNA By Iconic Invanity Cape Dress
- 14 One Chance Robbers & Pickpockets Arrested In Ajegunle Lagos, 2 Buses Recovered
- 6 Nigerian Soldiers Caught Sleeping With Colleagues Wives In Ibadan Dragged To Military Court
- Fire Explosion At A.A Rano Petrol Station In Kano State Amidst Fuel Scarcity [PHOTOS]
- Kidnapped Female Nigerian Senator Iyabo Anisulowo Narrates Ordeal In Kidnappers Den
- Nigeria Lost $15B To Arm Fraud Under GEJ, Money Stolen More Than Half Of $27B Foreign Reserves
- Photos: Nigerian Woman Smuggles Cocaine Candies From Dubai To Nigeria, Rose Igbinoba Arrested
- Fake Army Captain Arrested In Oshodi Lagos While Negotiating Release of Seized Motorcycle
- Dr Lawrence Ayodele Denies He Used Spiritual Powers To Kill 6 Ekiti Doctors Who Died In Crash
- Photo: Boko Haram Members Arrested For Killing Retired General Shuwa Detained In Kano
- Senator Iyabode Anisulowo Released, Kidnapper Arrested While Fleeing To Dubai
- 80-Year-Old Hausa Man Rescued From Boko Haram Says Terrorists Slaughtered All His Children
- Photos: Nigerian Postal Service, NIPOST Staff Steal Phone Sent To Lady From US, Replace It With Book
- 2 Petrol Tanker Drivers Caught Diverting Fuel From Nigeria To Benin Republic Arrested
- Ethiopia: GE CEO Yohannes Tilahun set to resign According to a statement issued by Jay Ireland (CEO of General Electric Africa), Yohannes Tilahun (CEO of GE Ethiopia) has revealed that he will be resigning from his position, during the course of May 2016, in order to “pursue other opportunities.” As per the statement, Ireland revealed that: “Yohannes brought years of experience in...
- Telkom Group’s Openserve to peer at NAPAfrica In another significant move to strengthen customer focus through a more flexible and agile operating model, Telkom Group’s Openserve wholesale and networks division has announced that it is peering at Africa’s largest Internet eXchange Point (IXP),...
- Top 4 content tools for Nigerian Bloggers With millions of blog posts published every day, there is the need for bloggers to be conscientious in planning and developing engaging content for their unique audiences and business needs. Every blogger in Nigeria, and globally, understands how difficult it...
- Uber takes a step towards sustainable mobility with UberGreen The transport sector accounts for 13% of CO₂ emissions in South Africa, making it the second largest emitter of CO₂ in the country. Every step towards finding ways to reduce carbon emissions from transport will go a long way towards countering CO₂...
- South Africa: MTN and Ericsson successfully trial LTE-U To future proof its business, MTN SA together with Ericsson has successfully trialled LTE-Unlicensed (LTE-U) at MTN’s flagship channel store in Morningside, Johannesburg. LTE-U is a mobile technology innovation that enables higher data speeds, which...
- Hack Jozi Challenge selects top ten digital ideas The top ten of the 2016 #Hack.Jozi Challenge has been announced. The varied ideas include ways for parents to reduce screen time for their children, a free pick up and drop off laundry service and an online platform to upload or download building plans for...
- Video Interview: Veeam’s Doug Hazelman Discusses Nimble Integration IT News Africa caught up with Doug Hazelman at the 2016 VeeamOn Forum, which was held at Jumeirah Beach Hotel in Dubai. In the interview below, Doug Hazelman discusses Nimble integration, the power of storage, as well as Veeam’s upcoming software...
- SAP opens new office in Morocco SAP Africa has revealed the official opening of its new office in Casablanca, Morocco. The office opening coincided with the 2016 SAP Africa Francophone Partner Forum event in Casablanca where approximately 100 SAP partners attended. The news follows the...
- SimbaPay to allow money transfers of up to $45000 USD to Africa SimbaPay has revealed that it has “Revolutionised the remittance space” by allowing its customers to transfer up to $45,000 USD to countries in Africa. This is substantially higher than the previous transaction limit of $3,000. According to Victor...
- Riverbed helps Engen accelerate application performance Riverbed Technology has revealed that global energy company Engen is using its solutions to centralize Remote and Branch Office (ROBO) IT, and improve productivity, back-up and data security across its multi-national organization. According to the...
- Why connecting women globally is vital Without question, mobile has transformed our lives, altering the world’s social and economic landscape, boosting the global economy and supporting millions of jobs. Mobile is becoming increasingly entrenched in our everyday lives, fundamentally changing the...
- ICT Investment can help fuel South Africa’s GDP growth Large-scale Information Communication Technology (ICT) investment can play a crucial role in fuelling the growth of South Africa’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) through increased economic activity, innovation and productivity. This contribution is especially...
- 10 LinkedIn tips for the African professional Most recruiters these days will take a look at your LinkedIn profile to learn more about you. If your CV captures their eye and they’re interested in interviewing you, you may be on the fast-track to a new career. They also often scan relevant profiles on...
- IT News Africa: Top Stories of the Week At the next Selling to the CIO Masterclass, set to take place on 29 – 30 June 2016 at Henley Business School in Johannesburg, attendees will learn key strategies to successfully win over the CIO. In addition, leading CIOs will offer essential tips on how to...
- In Pictures: VeaamOn Forum 2016 At the 2016 VeeamON Forum, which was held at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel in Dubai, Veeam Software – the innovative provider of solutions that deliver Availability for the Always-On Enterprise – revealed that the company will expand existing storage...
- Nelson Mandela Bay Tech Entrepreneurs and Start-ups get R&D Lab SEDA Nelson Mandela Bay ICT Incubator (SNII) revealed the opening of a new technology research and development (R&D) centre, located on-site at its Newton Park technology office business park in Port Elizabeth. The SNII R&D Lab offers assistance and...